MacBook touch Coming in October

gazzanova

33 posts in this topic

804x_804x_logan_lape2.jpg

Think MacBook screen, possibly a bit smaller, in glass with iPhone-like, but fuller-featured multi-touch. Gesture library. Full Mac OS X. This is why they bought P.A. Semi. Possibly with Immersion's haptic tech. Slot-loading SuperDrive. Accelerometer. GPS. Pretty expensive to produce initially, but sold at "low" price that will reduce margins. Apple wants to move these babies. And move they will. This is some sick {censored}. App Store-compatible, able to run Mac apps, too. By October at the latest.

Source

This looks very nice, hope the price isn't too high

i hope it comes with an active digitizer aswell (ie wacom), that would make alot of mac based graphic artists happy to say the least :D

How is this thing supposed to be both OS X and App Store compatible?

If you want full OS X support you have to choose x86 processors, and iPhone applications only run on ARM processors.

There are only two ways to make this possible:

1) create a Rosetta-like software to translate ARM instructions, but seems pretty pointless to me

2) force developers to build their apps as universal binaries for both x86 and ARM platforms

Both solutions would require extra frameworks in order to properly run. The second one would achieve better performances, but it may cause problems to developers.

Moreover, this seems to me like a very important product for Apple's market strategy, so if something like this is going to be introduced, it will be announced at Macworld.

Sherry Haibara

How is this thing supposed to be both OS X and App Store compatible?

If you want full OS X support you have to choose x86 processors, and iPhone applications only run on ARM processors.

There are only two ways to make this possible:

1) create a Rosetta-like software to translate ARM instructions, but seems pretty pointless to me

2) force developers to build their apps as universal binaries for both x86 and ARM platforms

Both solutions would require extra frameworks in order to properly run. The second one would achieve better performances, but it may cause problems to developers.

Moreover, this seems to me like a very important product for Apple's market strategy, so if something like this is going to be introduced, it will be announced at Macworld.

Sherry Haibara

3) Make this a hardware accessory for existing Macs and iPhones.

Depend on the price, if it too high which is likely then is not going to be attractive for many people, look at the MacBook Air price -_- a {censored} joke!

You know they would be expensive as all hell, c'mon it's apple. Doesn't really matter I can already picture one riding shotgun in my car.