Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

sorry for the delay ...

when i say reload... i just grabbed dark's kext and reapplied them using kexthelper ...

hopefully that helps!!!

i must add i did have a few hiccups during install..

and the first boot up after installing 10.5.5 took a good five minutes!!!!

i love this thing .. anyone struggling keep at it .. its worth it ...

anyone on the fence on buying one ... DO IT!!!

sorry for the delay ...

when i say reload... i just grabbed dark's kext and reapplied them using kexthelper ...

Interesting, doesn't that mean that you then would have the kexts installed directly on the system rather than in the EFI partition? If so, does anyone know if this could cause a conflict (i.e. what copy takes presidence if the same kext is in both the EFI partition and the System folder)?

Interesting, doesn't that mean that you then would have the kexts installed directly on the system rather than in the EFI partition? If so, does anyone know if this could cause a conflict (i.e. what copy takes presidence if the same kext is in both the EFI partition and the System folder)?

The stuff on the EFI partition or in the /Extras folder loads first...very early, in fact.

If the early loaded version is greater or the same, it is retained.

Well, I reformatted and started over from scratch, and it still didn't work (i.e. no WiFi if I boot w/ AC connected, no QE, glaicial boot time). I installed all of the kexts from INSTALL.DMG using Kext Helper and now everything works. I suppose I still have the advantage that I can do a Time Machine reinstall at get somthing bootable if not useable. Now I can get to work on that sleep issue. :D

{censored} so by using the kext helper ... i have messed up the whole time machine stuff???

No, if you used Type11's method and QE didn't work, but it booted, and then you used Kext Helper to install the kexts again, if you do a restore from Time Machine you could possibly get back to the state of not having QE again. No big deal, you would just have to load the kexts once more with Kext Helper. Actually, I may very well be off base with this and there could be no problem at all, I do not really know enough about how TM restores work to know for sure.

Just wondering, is there any way to turn off the Bluetooth radio (in terminal maybe?)

Was just thinking could save some battery power if it was off... would it screw up anything if I simply just disabled it in the BIOS?

Also, was it ever determined if Coolbook worked or not?

I can run it ok, but not sure if it's actually doing anything or not... thanks.

Maybe I'm slow but... I've tried doing all this and I still can't get QE working and now VLC won't play my movies I watch. ;)

Do we have a perfect step by step fix yet or maybe a new 132 iso or ? lol

1. Follow Type11's instructions in post 436. While you are trying to boot the install disk, if it hangs before the OS starts loading, unplug and replug the DVD drive. I had to do this several times to get it to boot. Once you do everything on Type11's list, if everything works, skip to 6.

2. Download Kext Helper, open

3. Mount INSTALL.DMG, open extension folder

4. Drag and drop all extensions from exxtension folder to Kext Helper window

5. Click install

6. Reboot

7. Run audio installer.

8. Reboot. Everything should work.

This is what I did, and everything works for me now.

Hey, can someone tell me how to find the two digit hex device code for the USB DVD drive? the default, 9f, seems not to be it. Thanks!

What is it doing? Did you try unplugging and replugging the USB cable when it hangs?

This is my 100th post! W00t'!

for people that seem to have constant problems with stuff not working, perhaps it would help to explain a couple do's and don'ts ;)

The most important is to NOT keep running with -f as a "fix"; Some of the extensions we need may not be the newest ones, and and when force every kext to load, you may very well be *unloading* an extension that would have worked.

If your use the set that is provided on the 132 iso i made, these are known to work as every one was tested one at a time and the dependencies resolved. Some extensions will not load if others they deem critical are not first available.

Also, any time you ad or remove an extension, at a minimum, the Extensions.mkext *must be rebuilt*. I don't know about the efi boot, but I do know that -f on the early on /Extras set does NOT rebuild that cache and whatever it was you thought you changed won't be changed. Additionally, the .mkext in the /Systems/Extension folder *will be* recreated with who-knows-what, and at boot time, the os always gives deference to the cache/mkext if it is present.

If you are using the version of this that I made, the best "recovery" method is to trash /Extra, reinstall from Chameleon for mini9, and reboot. Avoid -f. If uou aren't fixing anything, don't break it.

Also, remove /System/Library/Extensions.mkext before your reboot.

Check your com.apple.Boot.plist file as well. In/for normal operation, there should NOT be a -f option set in the Kernel Flags. Not Only does this make the boot time needlessly long, it causes the issue i mentioned above.

Great community and excellent progress. I am just about to buy my Dell Mini 9.

I see that a lot of people have upgraded to 2GB ram. I assume that 200-pin 533mhz DDR is correct, such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148060

Is 2GB the maximum supported ram?

And how fast is this little guy? Is it possible to play 720P videos in VLC under OS X? (Obviously they'd be down-scaled in fullscreen)

Thanks everyone :)

I see that a lot of people have upgraded to 2GB ram. I assume that 200-pin 533mhz DDR is correct, such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148060

Yeah, but 667 MHz should work fine too, and even though it is faster it tends to be a little cheaper since it is more common. As far as the 2GB limit, there is only one ram slot and I don't think you can get DDR2 sticks larger than 2GB.

Great community and excellent progress. I am just about to buy my Dell Mini 9.

And how fast is this little guy? Is it possible to play 720P videos in VLC under OS X? (Obviously they'd be down-scaled in fullscreen)

Thanks everyone :)

Apple's big claim to fame about the GMA950 when the Intel Mac Mini was announced was that it could play HD content where the previous Mini could not. I would imagine you could play that video on this unit as well.

I was just thinking.. This thread is really getting ungainly long. The forums over at MyDellMini.com have an OS X section. Why don't we move most of the discussion there? We can have a thread for each different aspect. Such as "Type11's Method", "Darkten's Method", Sleep Disorders, Sound Driver Issues, maybe a couple stickied "Step by step how-to's", and a stickied "What IS and ISN'T working" thread that just has ONE post in it that gets updated... It's just an idea to make this project more manageable.

I've been to mydellmini.com before. Wasn't a lot of content. If we all move over it might be really nice. I've really been interested getting into mods if I know some other people that have an interest as well.

And I will try and go through those steps tonight. Thanks!

so i found something to disable bluetooth and perhaps get us a little more battery power...

This will disable bluetooth completely. The only way to re-enable bluetooth will be by reinstalling Mac OS X or using the terminal.

Open the folder /System/Library/Extensions and delete or move the files IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext.

so what i did is just pulled those two .kext's out of the dir and bluetooth disappears...

not really sure if this actually cuts power to it or not