Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

yea just got it lol thanks! now im wondering is there any fix for my sound to have a staticly buzzing noise and gets prety loud occasionally? even with volume turn all the way down it still makes the buzzingsound quite annoying. plus i cant even mute haha it just dim the sound lol. anyone else having this problem?

I am trying to make a 4 gig USB thumbdrive into a boot drive to use Type 11's method. I follow all the instructions at http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...Inspiron/mini_9 It shows that I should download a linked file, which I did. I the unzipped like it said, went into the win32 directory, and clicked on the .exe file to load. It would flash on my screen, and then disappear. I can't get to the command line to type in what I need to so I can make the thumbdrive bootable. I tried on both XP running in VM, and on my wife's Gateway (what a piece of {censored}), which has XP on it, and I get the same issue.

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong, and also, can I just copy the files from the iso to the flashdrive and boot that way to start the Leopard installation??

Thanks

EDIT: I figured it out. I had to go through MS-DOS and change directory until I came to the win32 file, then I ran the exe, and it worked!! Old school Windows tricks still work, but then again, that's when Windows wasn't that bad like today!

yea just got it lol thanks! now im wondering is there any fix for my sound to have a staticly buzzing noise and gets prety loud occasionally? even with volume turn all the way down it still makes the buzzingsound quite annoying. plus i cant even mute haha it just dim the sound lol. anyone else having this problem?

Mute the microphone? Use the kext that disables line-in.

I opted in to the Netflix beta to watch streaming movies on Mac via Silverlight. When I went to install Silverlight on my Dell Mini, it threw up the error that "Silverlight 2 may not be installed on PowerPC." Any idea why the installer thinks my Mini Hackintosh is a PowerPC?

I'm running Retail Leopard 10.5.5 with the Type11 iso. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I opted in to the Netflix beta to watch streaming movies on Mac via Silverlight. When I went to install Silverlight on my Dell Mini, it threw up the error that "Silverlight 2 may not be installed on PowerPC." Any idea why the installer thinks my Mini Hackintosh is a PowerPC?

I'm running Retail Leopard 10.5.5 with the Type11 iso. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

might be something to do with smbiosefi or smbios itself. try installing it with pacifist.

might be something to do with smbiosefi or smbios itself. try installing it with pacifist.

Thanks for the tip. Pacifist did allow me to get past the PowerPC warning and install Silverlight, but it crashes both Safari and Firefox as soon as it starts to load. Anyway, not a deal-killer for me, just thought the Mini would've been perfect for streaming Netflix. Thanks again for the tip on Pacifist.

UPDATE: There's a link here that allows install of Silverlight on OSX86 machines. Just tested it. Worked for me: http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showt...&pid=337455

3 hours, doesn't matter what you are doing with the machine, probably due to the CPU being so low power. I've streamed video over my network and watched it a medium brightness for 3 hours straight. Same findings many other people have found for battery life. It'll go 50 hours in standby.

Its my understanding that the sd slot works under linux and if we could get it ported to darwin we could make the sd slot work? If anyone can upload the linux driver or atleast give me the model of the sd slot (i cant be bothered reading the whole thread a third time) then i may be able to get someone to port the driver as i know a fair few programmers who would love the challenge

I have attached my dmesg and lspci from the Ubuntu install. Its not much, but its a start

dmesg.txt

lspci.txt

3 hours, doesn't matter what you are doing with the machine, probably due to the CPU being so low power. I've streamed video over my network and watched it a medium brightness for 3 hours straight. Same findings many other people have found for battery life. It'll go 50 hours in standby.

try this program, it helped battery life on my Lenovo s10 (also an atom)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...view=getnewpost

anyone figure out the randomly static annoying and loud static sound coming from speaker? i tried muting and lowering mic volume and everything. sound still there and does not cease at all... x.x it really bugging everything in my class haha

and yes i am using snoopy files..

plus the fact that audio will always be lose after resuming from sleep? =( ?

anyone figure out the randomly static annoying and loud static sound coming from speaker? i tried muting and lowering mic volume and everything. sound still there and does not cease at all... x.x it really bugging everything in my class haha

and yes i am using snoopy files..

plus the fact that audio will always be lose after resuming from sleep? =( ?

snoopy? You mean Smoothy? If you use the first 2 files that come out of that archive you'll get the static you refer to. If you delete one of those two files (I don't recall which, he posted instructions, READ THEM), and then unzip the zip file inside of that archive, you'll have a new kext that disables the Line-In jack. That's where you are getting static. Install the new kexts, fix permissions, reboot with -f and no more static.

Question: May I ask if the external monitor output is working in order? Or if it is "working" some how, it is mirroring the screen or work as a 2nd desktop? Just want to know if it is working as expected.

Thank you very much.

With the kexts in the Type11 method, video out works for mirroring, and extending the desktop.

After a month of waiting my Dell finally came in. I spent saturday installing it (Darkten's method) and shot a video to show how easy it is. I had never done it before and the video shows unsealing the box, plugging in an Xbox 360 HD DVD USB drive, and installing Leopard.

I posted it on my blog this morning. The youtube video quality sucks so I also uploaded it HD to vimeo, but it's still processing.. Will be added in about 30 min.

I also posted my notes about the install. The mistakes I made along the way and what is working and not for me. Check it out...

permalink is: http://www.michaelsmith.tv/2008/11/10/dell...eopard-install/

oh and if you like it please digg it: http://digg.com/mods/Dell_Mini_9_unbox_and...nstall_on_video

Cool man!

I've been thinking about the possibility of a hardware hack to make the SD card reader work. Cannibalize a USB SD card reader and wire it so that the built in card reader attaches through that to usb instead.

hehehe, you read my mind. :( Feel free to blaze that trail, I looked at the card slot while I was inside mine. It looked difficult. :)