Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

this audio issue is really starting to get on my {censored}. yesterday i had a kp on shut down but did not realise and put it in my bag, and it got really really hot, thought i had killed it tbh.

on the s/n issue i have got one stage closer in that i have a valid serial number but it is not unique to my machine. i am trying a couple of other methods and will post back

smooth

Hello all, new to this forum. My apologies in advance if I ask a dumb question here.

I was able to get leopard installed onto an 8gb thumb drive via the slipstreamed installer. That's right, I got a SLOW install of leopard on a thumb drive; my stock 4gb SSD appears to be inadequate for leopard. The problem is that the only way I can get the thumb drive to boot is if I have the installer disc in a DVD drive hooked up via USB. I let the disc boot and when it prompts me to hit a key to boot the installer or do nothing to continue, I do nothing and it sees my thumb drive and boots. This is the ONLY way to get the thumb drive w/ leopard on it to boot.

So I have two questions:

- How do I get the thumb drive to boot on it's own? When I look in disk utility, my partition for leopard shows as bootable. I believe the install is on a Extended+journaled partition, under GUID partition table. The partition itself shows bootable:yes but I'm guessing that USB drives have trouble booting up Leopard, or I am missing something special.

- When my 32gb SSD comes in, do I need to take special steps restoring this thumb drive image to it to make it bootable as well? I planned on creating an Apple Partition Map for new SSD, then restoring my thumb drive image to it.

Thanks in advance :(

Hello all, new to this forum. My apologies in advance if I ask a dumb question here.

I was able to get leopard installed onto an 8gb thumb drive via the slipstreamed installer. That's right, I got a SLOW install of leopard on a thumb drive; my stock 4gb SSD appears to be inadequate for leopard. The problem is that the only way I can get the thumb drive to boot is if I have the installer disc in a DVD drive hooked up via USB. I let the disc boot and when it prompts me to hit a key to boot the installer or do nothing to continue, I do nothing and it sees my thumb drive and boots. This is the ONLY way to get the thumb drive w/ leopard on it to boot.

So I have two questions:

- How do I get the thumb drive to boot on it's own? When I look in disk utility, my partition for leopard shows as bootable. I believe the install is on a Extended+journaled partition, under GUID partition table. The partition itself shows bootable:yes but I'm guessing that USB drives have trouble booting up Leopard, or I am missing something special.

- When my 32gb SSD comes in, do I need to take special steps restoring this thumb drive image to it to make it bootable as well? I planned on creating an Apple Partition Map for new SSD, then restoring my thumb drive image to it.

Thanks in advance :(

i installed off of a thumb drive, albeit a 16gb one. you need to look here. it shows you how to enable a usb thumb drive to enable vanilla boot. you need two thumb drives however, but it works great.

**edit** ignore that as it does not apply to you. you need something such as carbon copy. or do the method i just outlined above

Though I did not have QE problems with my first iso I think I figured out why some might have. I have posted a new iso. please see post at

http://mydellmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=331

Note: if you already have it installed and have not jacked up too many things ;-) You can get iso mount it, mount install,dmg and just run miniscript again without need for reinstall.

Thanks for your work on this, Type11. I have Q/E now, but no audio. I've installed OS X multiple times using darkten's iso, then your original iso and finally your updated one. With darkten's I get Q/E, but no audio. With your original iso I get audio, but not Q/E. Your latest iso, for me, behaves like darkten's -- meaning Q/E, but no audio no matter how much I try to install ALC268 installer. I've updated to 10.5.5, reinstalled, rebooted multiple times, tried everything I can think of.

I'm wondering: Do you think it would be better for me to use your original iso instead of your latest one, make sure my audio is working and then use terminal to place your updated kexts in the EFI partition, rebuild, reboot to try to get my Q/E working? Just wondering if that method is any different from simply running miniscript in your new iso.

Thanks for any help, and again: thanks to all who have worked on this project!

Thanks for your work on this, Type11. I have Q/E now, but no audio. I've installed OS X multiple times using darkten's iso, then your original iso and finally your updated one. With darkten's I get Q/E, but no audio. With your original iso I get audio, but not Q/E. Your latest iso, for me, behaves like darkten's -- meaning Q/E, but no audio no matter how much I try to install ALC268 installer. I've updated to 10.5.5, reinstalled, rebooted multiple times, tried everything I can think of.

I'm wondering: Do you think it would be better for me to use your original iso instead of your latest one, make sure my audio is working and then use terminal to place your updated kexts in the EFI partition, rebuild, reboot to try to get my Q/E working? Just wondering if that method is any different from simply running miniscript in your new iso.

Thanks for any help, and again: thanks to all who have worked on this project!

use the original iso, and add the kexts i stated above to get full gfx support. the original iso added the correct gfx kexts but those kexts rely on other kexts to properly initialise drivers for full support.

smooth

These results are with the iso I updated 10/18/08 on the link above??? That iso has the kext that seem to be working for everyone and audio is working fine.

You don't want to just install the kext in the normal place as they will get over written next time you run software update. They need to be on the EFI partition if you use my method or in extras if you use darktens.

On that thread I tell you how you can use the script again from the new iso to update if you used my older iso without a full reinstall.

These results are with the iso I updated 10/18/08 on the link above??? That iso has the kext that seem to be working for everyone and audio is working fine.

Yes, I've tried all methods I can find and I can only ever get either Q/E or audio, but for some reason never both working at the same time. It's very possible it's user error on my part, doing something wrong during installation. I just haven't figured out what yet.

I do have another question about your instructions for updating kexts in the EFI partition.

For this part:

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 (**THIS ASSUMES INTERNAL DISK IS USED IF NOT PUT IN RIGHT IDENTIFIER) /Volumes/EFI

Without the parenthetical instructions should it be this:

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1/Volumes/EFI <---No space between disk0s1 and /Volumes/EFI

or this?

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI <---Space between disk0s1 and /Volumes/EFI

Thanks again for the excellent work you've done on these isos for the Dell Mini!

I'm getting KP half the time on startup and everytime on shutdown when I'm running on battery. Was there an updated power management kext to fix this? Seems like I remember reading about a fix but couldn't seem to find it. Thanks

EDIT... is this the same debug everyone else is getting on the shutdown KP

syncing disk.... Killing all processes

continuing

unmount of /home failed (45)

unmount of /net failed (45)

done

CPU halted

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x003EB7BC); "A driver releasing a(n) AppleHDAController has corrupted the registry\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.7.58/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:241

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 1), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x34627df8 : 0x12b0fa (0x459234 0x34627e2c 0x133243 0x0)

***bunch more of the above****

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name ocrresponding to ucrrent thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

9F33

Kernel version:

Darwin kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep 3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:snu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: Inspiron 910

I installed using the Darkten method. Q/E works, Bluetooth works, Wireless works, webcam works, and overall, I'd say it runs faster and more smooth that XP did when installed on the mini. I have noticed that the camera quality in ichat seems to be less quality than when I ran it in xp.

For the life of me I can't get audio or microphone to work (I assume these are related). As is the case with others, I have run ALC268 installer several times (I assume it just takes a double-click to open and run). I have updated software to 10.5.5.

I read that booting with -f solves problems for some. When I try to do that, the Apple appears on the screen and the timer starts spinning, but then it just spins...forever. I let it run for probably close to 30 minutes once to see if it was just taking a lot of time...it never changed. Does this indicate a problem with my install?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

did your audio work in xp?

did u mute the audio perhaps?

Yes the audio worked in xp. i don't know for sure that i didn't mute the volume in xp. if so, is there any way to fix it without reinstalling windows? also, how would this explain the microphone not working? are these issues related?

Yes the audio worked in xp. i don't know for sure that i didn't mute the volume in xp. if so, is there any way to fix it without reinstalling windows? also, how would this explain the microphone not working? are these issues related?

it would be worth a shot if all else fails...

First thanks for all your hard work in making this possible.

I am going to swap out the wireless card in my Mini 9 with the Dell Wireless 1505 (an a/b/g/n card) that I had been using in my Mac Mini.

Since this is currently in my Mac Mini (a real Mac), I know that this works on a Mac out of the box. I also know that it works in the Dell Mini 9 in XP. So I have no worries that it will work out of the box when I install everything.

My question is this:

What extensions are not necessary since I will not use the stock card? Can I take out the IO80211Family.kext, burn the iso as I have modified it, and run Type11's Miniscript? Also, which other kext should I take out that were modified for the stock wireless card? Sorry, for being a pain but I want the minimum in modifications, but that will still allow me to have your level of success.

Thanks again for you help.

I'm a moderate-level hackintosh'er, and having read a couple articles online (of the 20 pages back era) about OSX working on the Mini9, I decided to get myself one.

I promised my old macbook pro to my sister already, and when the new one came out it was underwhelming enough for me to decide the money was better spent on a hackintosh desktop for my office, a second monitor (no dual monitors with the mbpros...come on...), AND a Mini9 for the road.

I just wanted to say, I am overwhelmed and impressed and very grateful for all the effort that has been demonstrated here to put this straightforward solution together - especially after spending all weekend getting my friend's MSI desktop up and running one problem at a time. I just read all 33 pages, and feel much more confident about my decision (and placed the order a few moments ago). My estimated delivery is the 7th. (My dell rep gave me XP for the same price as ubuntu to speed it up a week - bastards).

I can't wait to get osx up and running on this thing, and I'm overjoyed to see that I can do it vanilla-style and not with the wind distro I just spend 5 days downloading. I continue to hold out hope for sleep (and oh god, the card reader), though they're not killers. I bought a second battery anyways ;) Now to order my ram and 32gb hard disk.

Is the MDD hard drive the only available option at this point? I can't wait to see what duties I get charged to bring it into Canada.

My estimated delivery is the 7th. (My dell rep gave me XP for the same price as ubuntu to speed it up a week - bastards).

I am shocked!!!!!! :P:wacko: :wacko:

I ordered two weeks ago and have a longer wait time than you and you ordered today.....How is this possible!!!!!

Only Michael Dell probably knows...

AR aka. loonix

it would be worth a shot if all else fails...

Okay...I'm now officially frustrated. I reinstalled XP for the 3rd time. Installed all drivers and ensured audio speakers & microphone were working. Then, reinstalled OS X using the Darkten method...again for the 3rd time. Once again...no Audio! The installer doesn't seem to work for me. Interestingly, the wifi works out of the box. During the initial setup/registration process, it detects my wireless network. There has been no need, on any of my installs, to run the broadcom enabler to get wifi.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any other alternative methods for getting the audio chipset other than the ALC268 Installer?

I am shocked!!!!!! :):) :angry2:

I ordered two weeks ago and have a longer wait time than you and you ordered today.....How is this possible!!!!!

Only Michael Dell probably knows...

AR aka. loonix

I Ordered on the 7th of this month; changed the order on the 10th to add a webcam when that feature showed back up. They had my ship date as the 12 of November initially and that changed to the 17th of November when I changed the order. It arrived today. ;)

So keep hope they may beat their expected ship date.

Now to order the OsX 10.5 family pack and some memory...

Then try to sqeeze this all in 8GB..

Maybe you should try the Type11 method instead of the Darkten method? It's a better method anyways, it allows you to use TimeMachine to restore. Audio actually works with his method too.

As for fitting onto an 8gb SSD, it's possible with iDeneb. I haven't heard of anyone doing it with the Retail install.

I bought a second battery anyways :) Now to order my ram and 32gb hard disk.

Is the MDD hard drive the only available option at this point? I can't wait to see what duties I get charged to bring it into Canada.

I purchesed a 64 gb option from mdd heres the link

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/ProductDe...08CD-1222915030

except I got it 80$ off last week :) not sure how its going to work yet my mini comes on the 30th