Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

I am shocked!!!!!! angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

I ordered two weeks ago and have a longer wait time than you and you ordered today.....How is this possible!!!!!

Only Michael Dell probably knows...

AR aka. loonix

A) Did you order with Linux? Cause my guy had to bump me to XP (at no charge) and that moved mine up a week.

B) I'm going through a business rep. Maybe they get priority?

C) Dell estimated delivery dates are more or less lies. You might get yours a week early, mine a week late. Who is to know??

They had my ship date as...the 17th of November when I changed the order. It arrived today. wink_anim.gif

See?

I purchesed a 64 gb option from mdd heres the link

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/ProductDe...08CD-1222915030

except I got it 80$ off last week smile.gif not sure how its going to work yet my mini comes on the 30th

I really want this, but

A) Too expensive...I can't bear throwing another $200 at this thing - how did you get it $80 off???

B) I'm hoping maybe the SLCs will come down in price sometime reasonably soon as I want a faster drive. Though it seems you lose the read speed. I almost think read is going to be more important than write for me as I'll probably do a lot more video watching/large file loading. Is that 70/15 thing really accurate? That seems fast (on read) for MLC

On a sidenote, I got 2 finger scrolling to work today. It's buggy and twitchy, but it works.

I love you. This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

I was actually coming to post a reply saying that I know two-finger scrolling is out, but does the side-area scroll work under OSX? And here this is. Amazing.

I'm sure you'll post more when it gets a little solid, but I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for pushing onwards beyond what dell even provided themselves.

i ordered my through a dell business rep and got it two days later, and for £220!!

two finger scrolling in my experience on hackintoshs isnt worth the hasle of setting up. i had it on my other dell laptop which knackered everything up and i ended up scrolling when i wanted to drag etc etc. tbh i guess i never gave it the chance to be ok and really fiddle with the settings.

A) Did you order with Linux? Cause my guy had to bump me to XP (at no charge) and that moved mine up a week.

No, I ordered with windows as it had a $90 discount that day making it cheaper than the Linux one

B) I'm going through a business rep. Maybe they get priority?

I ordered online, not sure how they would/could make a distinction of where the order comes from....

C) Dell estimated delivery dates are more or less lies. You might get yours a week early, mine a week late. Who is to know??

Did you get a shipping notification or did it just show up at your door?

Still waiting :-(

AR aka. loonix

I believe Darkten made an installer to automate the installation of these files. I know with the Type11 method, you must use his installer, as the standard audio patch program does not work with EFI-132 because the EFI kexts are not in the normal OSX location.

reinstalled utilizing the Type 11 method. audio still doesn't work. you said the standard audio patch program doesn't work with the Type 11 method, but I used the ALC268 Installer that was on his iso.

I ran the audio installer with the terminal window open and it says: "cp:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext: No Such File or Directory"

What does this mean? Is there another way to get audio working once the Type 11 method has been installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As an FYI...again, during initial install, the wifi worked without any broadcom installer.

So just want to clear some things up. Neither darkten nor myself ever got the audio to work from anywhere but the stock /System/Library/Extensions/ no matter where the rest were. So no matter what method used if audio does not work try the audio installer again. Again in 8 installs I never have had it not work (nice double negative ;-)) Make sure it is on before you install OS X.

So considering what we know now, the best Mini9 to buy would be the Ubuntu one with the 4GB hard drive + bluetooth + webcam. Add a 2gb stick of ram and the 32gb SSD, and that should have absolutely everything working after install, right?

(Compared to the MSI Wind which requires a new wireless card and sound still doesn't work, right?)

External Mic jack isn't working, but that's kind of nitpicking. I'd also say that audio doesn't auto-switch to headphones, but it doesn't do that under Dell's Ubuntu remix either.

The SD card slot is the same as in the Aspire One, a JMB385 if my research is correct. It works under Linux. Someone needs to port the Linux driver to Darwin.

after a lot of reading, reinstalling osx, swearing and beer consumption. i have audio working 100% on my dell mini 9!!

congrats to collit99, mad tux and taurga.

grab the files here, this contains kexthelper anjd two other kexts.

first off remove any traces of the audio installer (applehda.kext & ACLinject.kext),

then install the two kexts from the zip file,

repair disk permissions using disk utility,

reboot. reboot with at least an -f flag (i used -f -v). you should now have audio, but there will be a hissing noise but thats no biggie, simply go to system preferences -> sound -> inputs and turn down the volume of the second mic.

viola, i have a working internal mic, and auto switching of the audio and most importantly no kernel panic at shut down.

after a lot of reading, reinstalling osx, swearing and beer consumption. i have audio working 100% on my dell mini 9!!

grab the files here, this contains kexthelper anjd two other kexts.

first off remove any traces of the audio installer (applehda.kext & ACLinject.kext),

then install the two kexts from the zip file,

repair disk permissions using disk utility,

reboot. reboot with at least an -f flag (i used -f -v). you should now have audio, but there will be a hissing noise but thats no biggie, simply go to system preferences -> sound -> inputs and turn down the volume of the second mic.

viola, i have a working internal mic, and auto switching of the audio and most importantly no kernel panic at shut down.

Does this work under the Darkten method or the Type 11 method or both? I currently have the Darkten method because it seems, at least for me, to be the most reliable. The only thing not working for me at this point is the audio. Please let me know if I can follow your instructions to correct this problem.

Thanks for your work on this, ѕӎөө! Like PapaYesse asked, which iso did you use to install OS X originally? I just tried this on my Type11 install and now get kernel panic at startup when I startup with -f. (If I don't use -f, it starts up fine, just no audio as is my usual experience.)

Also, should we upgrade to 10.5.5 before doing the audio fix?

Thanks again to you and the others working on this.

sorry, unaclocker is right. you should be on 10.5.5 before you try this.

i personally didnt use either darktens or type11s isos, but a generic boot123 usb stick, and my retail leopard install dvd restored to another usb stick. i then used munky's efi partition method (whick is what type11 employs)

either way it will work as audio cannot be enabled from the efi partition (stickpin is working on it) so it does not matter whick method you have used. just make sure to remove all traces of the audio installer if you used it, update to 10.5.5 and try the method i outlined. it worked for me, i hope it works for everyone else too.

i added it to mediafire.... i cant seem to ever use insanelymacs attachment service.

anyways here are the files. there is another zip inside the initial zip. that is another kext by collit99 that disables the external mic jack, thus stopping the buzz all together. i have not tried that kext personally, but it should work fine. you either unzip that file, or use the applehda.kext that is already there not both together!! other than that it is exactly the same as before so just follow my previous instructions.

kudos to collit99, not me!

EDIT: i just tried the updated kext (the one that is still zipped in the download) and it works much better. unless you really need line in, i would use the zipped one over the unzipped one. you can still use the internal mic fine.

can you reupload please it seem to be an error on the winrar files.. corrupted it seem

what are you using to decompress it? i just downloaded it and opened it fine! i used the generic mac "unzipper" to do it.... which if you are needing these you should be able to use.

doing repair permission right now taking awhile.. when i reboot do i HAVE TO do -f -v? that is what you type in right ? boot: -f -v ?

plus i use the msi wind dvd so i didnt go though everything else. hope this works..

oh the files are fine i was being stupid opening it in windows lol.

UPDATE - seem like it freezing at the point where it say can't find host time.apple.com no severs can be use, exiting. had to force shutdown and reboot. im just going to try doing -f this time. frooze at the circling thingy..

still no sound after force shutdown and reboot..

One question - how do i remove the old ktext that already in there? i want to try again.. w/o the -f this time