[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

It's been a lot of time since last time that I played with Leo 10.5.2 on my XPS m1330, by the way I've installed using SuperHai CD SL 10.6.4 now I have the drivers stage. I remember in 10.5.2 for video card there was some installer, how about Snow Leopard?

Please give me some directions, also the problem of shutdown restart is solved with SL?

Thanks

Shutdown via DSDT, i don't have the link but google "insanely m1530 dsdt" I used brett's generic dsdt.

Restart via bootloader. I use AnVAL. Install prefpane for chameleon or edit the pist to add the restart fix

Shutdown via DSDT, i don't have the link but google "insanely m1530 dsdt" I used brett's generic dsdt.

Restart via bootloader. I use AnVAL. Install prefpane for chameleon or edit the pist to add the restart fix

I have m1330 with NVIDIA 8400GS is the same that DSDT you mentioned about? how to use it?

I have m1330 with NVIDIA 8400GS is the same that DSDT you mentioned about? how to use it?

I believe that there is NOT a dsdt or any other fix for m1330 shutdown issue at this time... sux cuz I was thinking about getting m1330

• 1 month later...

For those of us with a newer m1330 where VoodooHDA works through the headphones but not the speakers, there is a solution. It is not perfect since the internal mic doesn't work but at least you can get speakers and headphones working.

look HERE

for the zip uploaded by Fabze. I've verified this works on my m1330 with the aforementioned symptoms.

I believe this was the direction that was being explored by Talisman and MacGirl before VoodooHDA support for the the STAC 9228 came out. Someone may have made progress on getting the pin configs working for the internal mic but I seem to recall it was elusive.

I have a DELL XPS M1530,

Can some one help me as i am lost for compyling a dsdt for this model

I need everything working. Sleep. Restart ect

I had a look at some of the guides how to do it but i dont really understand how to do it,

Dell xps m1530

core2duo 2.50ghz - think its T9200 or T9300

Nvidia 8600M 256mb

500 gb hard drive

15.4" 1400 x 900 screen

4gb ram ddr2

not sue what else you would need for spec

I have a DELL XPS M1530,

Can some one help me as i am lost for compyling a dsdt for this model

I need everything working. Sleep. Restart ect

I had a look at some of the guides how to do it but i dont really understand how to do it,

Dell xps m1530

core2duo 2.50ghz - think its T9200 or T9300

Nvidia 8600M 256mb

500 gb hard drive

15.4" 1400 x 900 screen

4gb ram ddr2

not sue what else you would need for spec

You don't need to compile a DSDT. Go to the first post of this thread and get the 1530 anycpu dsdt.

In general just follow immo's guide but skip the parts about modifying the dsdt since there is one that already just works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

I have the following configuration :

Dell XPS M1530

320 GB 7200 RPM WD in AHCI mode

nVidia 8600M

4 GB RAM

9 cell battery (I think)

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 patched with MyHackInstaller 1.1 (Default settings + ApplePS2 - Elliott)

Network Marvell Yukon : ok

Bluetooth : ok

Intel Wireless 4965 (does not work)

Sound (works since I've installed VoodooHDA.kext - other kext would not work on my configuration)

Shutdown/Restart (does not work as for eveyone in this thread)

I can deal with shutdown problem but I'd really miss wifi feature.

My question : I've tried "iwifi for 4965" which gives me kernel panic, so I would like to know if there is an alternative (USB wifi key) that would work with OSX 10.6.3.

idarwin doesn't seem to support my network card, neither my OS version.

Thanks for any help.

Hello !

I have the following configuration :

Dell XPS M1530

320 GB 7200 RPM WD in AHCI mode

nVidia 8600M

4 GB RAM

9 cell battery (I think)

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 patched with MyHackInstaller 1.1 (Default settings + ApplePS2 - Elliott)

Network Marvell Yukon : ok

Bluetooth : ok

Intel Wireless 4965 (does not work)

Sound (works since I've installed VoodooHDA.kext - other kext would not work on my configuration)

Shutdown/Restart (does not work as for eveyone in this thread)

I can deal with shutdown problem but I'd really miss wifi feature.

My question : I've tried "iwifi for 4965" which gives me kernel panic, so I would like to know if there is an alternative (USB wifi key) that would work with OSX 10.6.3.

idarwin doesn't seem to support my network card, neither my OS version.

Thanks for any help.

Shutdown works consistently (and restart usually) for anyone who follows immo's guide. My advice re: WiFi is to go on ebay and shell out $20 for a Dell Truemobile 1505 and swap it for the intel POS. It just works, no additional kexts or drivers needed.

• 2 weeks later...
So I've upgraded to 10.6.4 and I've lost support for HDMI and VGA. Anybody have a solution for this?

You need to give more info on your install before anyone can help you. Put your computer and installation method in your sig. For HDMI, there is no known solution as of yet, but there are a couple of leads. However you should be able to get VGA working assuming you are using an M1330 or M1530. If anything is plugged into HDMI you will lose all video until you restart the computer.

Running SL 10.6.4 on M1530 with NVIDIA 8800M. Is the VGA output supposed to be automatic or something I have to do specifically?

If you use a Vanilla retail install with Brett Whinnen's DSDT it will work. Mileage with a distro may vary.

You can also try the enable video boot flag in Chameleon (I use RC4). You don't need to if you use the DSDT. I haven't confirmed that this method works in SL 10.6.4 however because I use a DSDT.

Immo

Hi,

i had a retail Version of Leopard installed on my XPS m1330, now my hdd crashed. On the New Hdd i want to install Snow Leopard. I have here a old "Generetic 132 Boot CD" and the Boot CD from the first Post in this Thread. With booth CD´s the start of the boot DVD stopped at the point

"Loading HFS+ file: (mach_kernl) from 422f700"

I dont know what to do and i dont find a solution in this thread... know someone the sollution?

PS: sry for bad englisch ;)

I'm using this method on my Dell XPS1530. To create the usb I used SL 10.6.3. Everything works fine exept the wifi. I performed the update to 10.6.4 and all good.

The only difference I made was to create a 1GB partition for the boot. I think it makes no difference. Just have worked without it.

The only thing I failed to make is that the video runs at full-throttle. I tried different kext, I put the NVenabler, but nothing.

I think that may be one of the configuration files of extras. Not sure, but it's the only thing left for me as possible.

This is the info from OSX (sorry I cant create a snapshot)

Display:

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	32 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0407
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

Someone could help me a solution for the video?

Thanks

another thing: when I install NVEnabler and reboot, the screen goes black, hung. If I reboot with -x, the information on the video card is:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model:	NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Slot:	PCI Slot 1
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0407
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 Displays:
VGA Display:
 Resolution:	800 x 600 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Built-In:	Yes
Display Connector:

All well and what is right, I can even set the resolution of the video. The problem is that it does not start in normal mode.

ahh, with NVEnabler, VoodooHDA stops working

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all.

Its more time I dont read this thread.

I have a Dell M1530 with Seven and leopard.

After I have installed Seven in an old Xp partition (leave XP) I cant access on Leopard.

Well, I have decided to installa e SnowLeopard retail relase.

Can some one link to me a complete guide to install SL with a dual boot??

Really thx to all.

Hi to all.

Its more time I dont read this thread.

I have a Dell M1530 with Seven and leopard.

After I have installed Seven in an old Xp partition (leave XP) I cant access on Leopard.

Well, I have decided to installa e SnowLeopard retail relase.

Can some one link to me a complete guide to install SL with a dual boot??

Really thx to all.

Read the thread.

Hello everybody,

First off I´d like to thank you guys (especially Brett Whinnen, Chrysaor, Immo, talisman, Wingrunr) for helping us with installing Mac OS X on our Dells!

I´v managed to install a Retail/Vanilla Mac Os X 10.6.3 on my preexisting MBR partitioned Windows Vista System without loosing any data. First I´ve shrinked my primary partition and created another partition for Mac OS X. I had to create a .DMG off the retail Mac OS X Installation Disc and edited it so I could do an MBR installation. After I had installed 10.6.3 I installed Chameleon RC4 and used talisman´s Extra Folder he uploaded (Thank you talisman!!!)! I only had to delete AppleHDA.kext from the S/L/E folder and copy VoodooHDA.kext instead to enable sound.

Next, I updated my system to 10.6.4. I only had to delete AppleHDA.kext and copy VoodooHDA.kext after the upade and everything else was working.

Now I´ve got an almost perfect Mac OS X 10.6.4 with following things working:

-Graphics Card NVIDIA with Quartz etc.

-Shutdown but no restart

-Sleep

-Sound (Line-out, Headphones, Speaker etc.)

-Ethernet out of box

-Trackpad with 2-finger scrolling and tap select etc.)

I´ve got problems with the following stuff:

-When I boot With MacBook5,1 in smbios.plist I´ve got speedstepping (according to CoolBook) but my notebook gets very hot when using Logic Pro 9 and shuts down. When booting with MacBook4,1 I´m stuck with 800Mhz at 0,95V and 73 Celsius.

- After sleep, Photo Booth doesn´t work

- (Restart doesn´t work)

- (Intel Wifi Link 4965agn doesn´t work - as expected - but I´ve ordered Dell 1390...)

- Bluetooth

My biggest problem is speedstepping with the shutdown because I´ve installed Mac OS X to be able to use Logic Pro!

I hope someone can help! Thank you in advance!

d-lab: Look for macfuse 64-bit (http://caurea.org/2009/09/15/unofficial-macfuse-release-for-64bit-kernels/) and ntfs-3g (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) if you cannot read the Win 7 partition from the SL OS. Chances are you had a fat partition for XP and now have NTFS. If you cannot boot the Win 7 then reinstall Chameleon.

melvis: Look for the DSDT (anycpu) in Immo's thread on DSDT. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780)

Bluetooth should work out of the box. If the photobooth is an usb issue it can be cured with the right DSDT(the one mentioned above). Restart works with the newer chameleon bootloaders but is still hit or miss (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216726&st=0). There are some other threads out there too.

@talisman

Hi and thx for ur reply.

I havent SnowLeopard on my dell but Leopard 10.5.6.

And in the other partition I have windows 7.

I can access on Leopad but now, If u can give me some links, I want remove Leopard and installa a retail version of SL. Thx in advantage.

d-lab: Look for macfuse 64-bit (http://caurea.org/2009/09/15/unofficial-macfuse-release-for-64bit-kernels/) and ntfs-3g (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) if you cannot read the Win 7 partition from the SL OS. Chances are you had a fat partition for XP and now have NTFS. If you cannot boot the Win 7 then reinstall Chameleon.

melvis: Look for the DSDT (anycpu) in Immo's thread on DSDT. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780)

Bluetooth should work out of the box. If the photobooth is an usb issue it can be cured with the right DSDT(the one mentioned above). Restart works with the newer chameleon bootloaders but is still hit or miss (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216726&st=0). There are some other threads out there too.

Thank you for your prompt answer!

I´m already using the DSDT (anycpu) from Immo's thread. I didn´t use the DSDT_test.aml from the zipped and uploaded "snow" folder! I described my system with immo´s anycpu DSDT.

I´ve found the solution for my bluetooth problem. Although I had the correct settings in bios I had deactivated the Bluetooth adapter under Vista. After activating bluetooth under Vista, my bluetooth is working out of the box. Actually I´m right now writing from my Hackintosh with an internet connection via bluetooth and Iphone (Still waiting for the Dell 1390)!

Speedstepping is working according to CoolBook (I can change the load) but the problem with the shutdown after heavy load (like running Logic Pro 9) remains...

Okay, so I've been trying to get SL to install on my XPS 1530 for about 3 weeks, but I still cant get it to work. . . I have a T9300 2.5 ghz and an 8600GT and i tried Brett's installation, but as soon as SL tries installing and it shows me the progress bar, the computer hangs and the screen goes dark and i see something like this.

106227_3.jpg

Now i tried this guide and i was able (with Brett's DSDT) to get the installer to around 95%, but then it says the installation failed because SL couldn't restart to that hard drive, or something like that. I am a n00b, but I've tried keeping my mouth shut for now and tried getting it to work on my own, but i'm really stuck now!!!

any ideas??

A bit late, but may be helpful for people encountering the same problem...

I had the exact same problem, trying to install it with a 10.6.0 retail image as source.

After I switched to the more recent 10.6.3 retail image the problem was fixed :rolleyes: