[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

I am getting a kernel panic the moment I inject VoodooHDA in 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, using the latest version from HERE: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...355&st=0%29

Am I missing a step that is assumed but not documented. Have everything else working but no sound. Tried removing AppleHDA from S/L/E. Also tried putting VoodooHDA in Extra but it doesn't load from there. Definitely crashes system the moment it gets added (or upon reboot if I shut down and reboot).

Error looks like this. I am on a Dell M1530 with Sigmatel audio. No changes made to VoodooHDA at all.

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/photowg.jpg/

Any help would sure be appreciated, I have been browsing the forums for hours.

Thanks.

I am getting a kernel panic the moment I inject VoodooHDA in 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, using the latest version from HERE: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...355&st=0%29

Am I missing a step that is assumed but not documented. Have everything else working but no sound. Tried removing AppleHDA from S/L/E. Also tried putting VoodooHDA in Extra but it doesn't load from there. Definitely crashes system the moment it gets added (or upon reboot if I shut down and reboot).

Error looks like this. I am on a Dell M1530 with Sigmatel audio. No changes made to VoodooHDA at all.

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/photowg.jpg/

Any help would sure be appreciated, I have been browsing the forums for hours.

Thanks.

Did you clear the caches after deleting AppleHDA? "Kext Utility" is great for fixing permissions and clearing/rebuilding the kext caches. Depending on your DSDT you may not be required to remove AppleHDA I've heard, but I would always get KPs if I didn't. Also be careful because the 10.6.2 update puts AppleHDA back. I don't know why but I found that the lastest VoodooHDA would only work in /System/Library/Extensions. Older releases would work anywhere. Did you install from retail or a distro?

Did you clear the caches after deleting AppleHDA? "Kext Utility" is great for fixing permissions and clearing/rebuilding the kext caches. Depending on your DSDT you may not be required to remove AppleHDA I've heard, but I would always get KPs if I didn't. Also be careful because the 10.6.2 update puts AppleHDA back. I don't know why but I found that the lastest VoodooHDA would only work in /System/Library/Extensions. Older releases would work anywhere. Did you install from retail or a distro?

Will us poor souls ever get a tutorial for SL?

Hi, try changing in your DSDT from "HDEF" to something else ("AUD0" for example) and see if you still get kernel panic.

Hi, try changing in your DSDT from "HDEF" to something else ("AUD0" for example) and see if you still get kernel panic.

I've tried that before (using the name AZAL) but my sleep stopped working. Removing the AppleHDA.kext is what has worked best for me. If I get a chance, I might try another name (I doubt OS-X recognizes the name AZAL but I'm not sure).

Immo

Upon following the guide install went great. But how can i make the alt key the command key in OSX again. After installing kexts it switched it to the windows symbol and since I have three Hackingtoshed netbooks its quiet annoying being the only one that has the windows key as the command

The 10.5 installation (Vanilla) ánd first boot works like a charm for me, but I cannot seem to get the OS to boot on its own. Do I specifically need Chameleon 1.0.12 and EFI v9 (as mentioned in the first post?), or will any version (the latest perhaps) do?

Upon a 'normal' hdd-boot, it gets to the grey screen with logo, but the loading-indicator spins forever.

Any thoughts?

--

M1530, T8300

The 10.5 installation (Vanilla) ánd first boot works like a charm for me, but I cannot seem to get the OS to boot on its own. Do I specifically need Chameleon 1.0.12 and EFI v9 (as mentioned in the first post?), or will any version (the latest perhaps) do?

Upon a 'normal' hdd-boot, it gets to the grey screen with logo, but the loading-indicator spins forever.

Any thoughts?

--

M1530, T8300

Boot to single user mode (-s) and look for error messages to give you a better idea as to what is going wrong.

I used Chameleon RC2 and RC3 with Leopard and they both worked like a charm. I assume RC4 will also work but I've moved on to Snow Leopard so I don't know for sure.

I would also recommend using a DSDT for Leopard, which you can find here. You will need one of these DSDTs to upgrade to 10.5.8 if you want working sleep. I originally used one of these DSDTs with Leopard but I haven't tested the most recent changes with Leopard. If you try one of these read the installation instructions carefully.

Immo

Okay, so here's where I am now:

- Installed Chameleon RC2

- Removed DSDT.aml from the root (should it boot without the file?)

- Booted and chose Single User Mode from the Chameleon boot-options

After some messages it halts. One of the messages I saw coming by was:

"Couldn't alloc class AppleICH8AHCI". It also said something about the root device being read-only.

Then I rebooted in verbose mode, same deal.

When I use the switch to turn WiFi/Bluetooth on or off, I do see messages on screen, indicating these interrupts still 'work'.

EDIT: ow, and when I use EFI v9, then I don't get the option of using any boot option. It just tries to boot...

Could it, perhaps, have something to do with the fact that I'm not using the stock harddrive? I've bought a 80Gb drive (Wester Digital I believe).

If I compare the verbose booting from the cd-boot with a chameleon-boot I don't see any difference (eyeballed it)...

With creating just 1 GUID partition, the drive should be bootable, right? It wouldn't start Chameleon if it wasn't, right?

*slowly going crazy here* :censored2:

EDIT: ow, and another symptom, is that the NumLock-light goes off early in the CD-Boot process, but stays on during a Chameleon boot...

EDIT2: after comparing the boot-logs (/var/log/system.log), I see that that in de succesfull boot there the following lines:

dsmos: Initializing...

dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!

dsmos: Starting...

SMBIOSEnabler: started

These are not in the hd-boot...

Quick reply: I've got it to boot!!! I copied some .kext-files from the boot CD into /Extra/Extensions (using Chameleon-RC4). Don't have the exact ones in mind now, currently at the office.

Next step is creating a DSDT, since all DSDT's I've tried sofar don't work: the screen flickers once and than the boot process halts..

Quick reply: I've got it to boot!!! I copied some .kext-files from the boot CD into /Extra/Extensions (using Chameleon-RC4). Don't have the exact ones in mind now, currently at the office.

Next step is creating a DSDT, since all DSDT's I've tried sofar don't work: the screen flickers once and than the boot process halts..

Dudio, from your boot messages it looks like you are using SMBiosEnabler, which is incompatible with the DSDTs on the DSDT guide. Try Brett's AnyCPU DSDT on the first post of the guide and follow the installation instructions very carefully (there are other kexts you'll probably have to remove as well, all in the guide). P.S. if you don't have NVidia graphics then you will have to make your own. I don't think you mentioned if you do or don't.

Immo

Thanks for helping me Immo, I think I might be needing it some more in the coming days :)

A quick round-up of my system:

- Chameleon RC2, with boot from RC4

- Kext's in /Extra/Extensions (from Chameleon):

* AHCIPortInjector.kext

* ATAPortInjector

* IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

* JMicronATAInjector.kext

Further (from boot-cd):

* AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

* ApplePS2Controller.kext

* dsmos.kext (I seem to need this one to boot through)

I have an NVidia Go 8600M GT.

Do you see any 'issues' with this?

EDIT: removed Disabler.kext and booting still works.

With a DSDT in place, when the boot-messages pass by, near the end the screen flickers once and then the system 'stops'.

When I create an dsdt.aml file directly from the dsdt.dsl file generated with the DSDT Patcher (so without modifying it), the boot process is succesfull. Would it help if I post my generated .dsl?

Thanks for helping me Immo, I think I might be needing it some more in the coming days :)

A quick round-up of my system:

- Chameleon RC2, with boot from RC4

- Kext's in /Extra/Extensions (from Chameleon):

* AHCIPortInjector.kext

* ATAPortInjector

* IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

* JMicronATAInjector.kext

Further (from boot-cd):

* AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

* dsmos.kext (I seem to need this one to boot through)

I have an NVidia Go 8600M GT.

Do you see any 'issues' with this?

EDIT: removed Disabler.kext and booting still works.

With a DSDT in place, when the boot-messages pass by, near the end the screen flickers once and then the system 'stops'.

When I create an dsdt.aml file directly from the dsdt.dsl file generated with the DSDT Patcher (so without modifying it), the boot process is succesfull. Would it help if I post my generated .dsl?

I really think that Brett's DSDT should work for you as it worked for others with your same set up. Just follow the DSDT installation instructions on the DSDT guide to a T and you should be good.

P.S. you don't need any of the Chameleon's kexts. Just the ones on the boot CD. This could be part of the problem. I would also suggest adding Slice's VoodooHDA for sound once you get everything working.

Immo

It does boot with only:

* AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

* dsmos.kext

Hooray for that! However there is no booting with whatever .aml I use.

Tried to remove dsmos and using fakesmc, but to no avail.

clueless....

I think I'm going to reinstall from scratch, maybe that will help

It does boot with only:

* AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

* dsmos.kext

Hooray for that! However there is no booting with whatever .aml I use.

Tried to remove dsmos and using fakesmc, but to no avail.

clueless....

I think I'm going to reinstall from scratch, maybe that will help

You've set up smbios.plist properly?

You've set up smbios.plist properly?

I think so. This is it (readings from cpu-x):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Dell Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>XPS M1530</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>199</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2394</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>00FF0000</string>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>000736TU</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>667</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>123456789012</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMboardid</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMboarduuid</key>
<string>00000000-0000-0001-8000-001E4C6405B5</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
<string>DIMM_A</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
<string>DIMM_B</string>
</dict>
</plist>

ps: currently running on a fresh installation

EDIT:

Steps sofar:

- installed Vanilla Leopard 10.5 (disk0s2)

--

ProductName: Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.5 BuildVersion: 9A581

Kernel: Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct 9 21:35:55 PDT 2007

--

- installed Chameleon RC2

- removed all .kext from /Extra/Extensions/

- added dsmos, AppleACPIPS2Nub & ApplePS2Controller from 'newiso'-bootcd (in start post)

- added smbios.plist (see above)

- ran 'Kext Utility' to repair permissions

- shutdown (this works out-of-the-box, is that normal?)

- boot's okay

EDIT2: maybe important to mention: I have two wlan cards attached: the 'standard' Intel and a Broadcom 1395

EDIT3: boot with Bretts DSDT.aml doesn't work: screen flickers once and boot process 'stops'. See the log here: http://www.dudio.nl/mac/systemlog.txt

Can't get the trackpad/keyboard to work.

my setup:

- XPS-M1530

- Chameleon 2 rc4

- Brett's 1530 CPU agnostic DSDT.aml

- SL 10.6.2

I was initially using AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, and the trackpad/keyboard worked.

Then I installed VoodooPS2Controller.kext and the Trackpad.prefpane, and the trackpad/keyboard don't work. When I open the trackpade preference, it always says "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found".

I've tried the following:

- VoodooPS2Controller 0.98 from chameleon directly (using the .pkg installer)

- VoodooPS2Controller posted by wingrunr

- VoodooPS2Controller in donkey's package

- VoodooPS2Controller from Superhai

- VoodooPS2Controller from this thread: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=260.0

I've tried putting them in /Extra/Extensions or /S/L/E (not at the same time, obviously).

I remember to use KextUtility and reboot between each change. I even deleted extensions.mkext and manually forced kext cache rebuild.

Funny thing is, I tried AppleACPIPS2Nub again, and now _it_ doesn't work.

I'm thinking the chameleon VoodooPS2Controller package screwed things up. I noticed it added some folders to /, and I'm worried it may have made some direct changes to other kexts.

Fortunately I'm using the machine as a desktop with external kb/mouse, but I'd like to get this working when I take it portable.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA.

It's working much better for me, thankfully. Got it installed, had some issues installing Chameleon, got it to boot AND got it to work with Brett's DSDT! Even sleep seems to work. I'm pretty satisfied with the result sofar.

Next thing is Audio, the standard VoodooHDA doesn't work (yet), but maybe I've overlooked something.

And it seems that my laptop is running pretty warm/hot, should look into that as well.

Maybe upgrade to 10.6.2 in a few days.

EDIT: Audio's up and running!