[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Speedstepping seems to work, but I would like to try if it's possible to extend battery-life and/or lower heat by underclocking/undervolting. I don't think you can have one without the other. But I'm no expert on the subject, so I could be wrong :)

Others have done it successfully in the DSDT thread. You can actually specify lower voltages for the same clock speed in the different speed steps, and this is under-volting. This must be done in a CPU specific DSDT (a generic one will take the speed steps including voltages from the bios). It's not straight forward at all; you have to do some math (look up FID and VID values). If you go too far you may cause instability, but most CPUs should have space to go down a little.

Immo

Others have done it successfully in the DSDT thread. You can actually specify lower voltages for the same clock speed in the different speed steps, and this is under-volting. This must be done in a CPU specific DSDT (a generic one will take the speed steps including voltages from the bios). It's not straight forward at all; you have to do some math (look up FID and VID values). If you go too far you may cause instability, but most CPUs should have space to go down a little.

Immo

I haven't thought about lowering voltages in ages (when speed stepping was strictly 850mhz on AC, 700mhz on battery). What are the perspective gains in terms of battery life? 5 minutes or an extra 30 hour? I surmise we could accomplish most of our daily tasks with less than half the processing power available to us (nevermind Flash of course). I may try to do this in Windows if there's a positive computing gain.

Cheers!

I haven't thought about lowering voltages in ages (when speed stepping was strictly 850mhz on AC, 700mhz on battery). What are the perspective gains in terms of battery life? 5 minutes or an extra 30 hour? I surmise we could accomplish most of our daily tasks with less than half the processing power available to us (nevermind Flash of course). I may try to do this in Windows if there's a positive computing gain.

Cheers!

Never tried it so don't know :) Undervolting will not slow down the frequency, so things will not take longer to finish. It will use less power for the same amount of work. However if you undervolt too far the computer will become unstable. You can also underclock (by lowering the frequencies of the speed steps) which will restrict your computer's speed to the frequency of the highest speed step. The lower your frequency, the lower you can take your voltage. Lowering the voltage is far more effective than lowering the frequency for saving power, so if you can bring down the voltage each speed step while keeping the frequency the same without the computer becoming unstable, you get free power savings.

Immo

What's the opinion on Leopard v Snow Leopard? Is there more overall functionality with Snow Leopard are is it a zero-sum result?

I setup 10.5.6 and Win7 with Chameleon last night. However, I've been using a second monitor until I work out whether sleep-corners are still needed.

I'll do the research, but just need a simple yes/no to tell me if there's a work around for the black screen sleep-corner trick or if it's the only way to go. There's no point in scouring the Internet to find out what I already know how to do if nothing's changed.

Not sure what the sleep-corner trick is for, but I run 10.6.2 without any problems, well bar reboot and shutdown, but that is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned...

I run a DELL 1505 Draft-N wireless (broadcomm based) instead of the intel and it is natively supported. With my current generic DSDT file I have no issues with the CDROM drivers (IOATAFamily.kext), no USB based issues, and native speedstep works (no CSTATES, but no one has figured those out for the M1[35]30 yet. Sleep works fine on lid close which is what I use all the time. Minimal kexts required to make sure keyboard, mouse and sound work. I find it more stable than 10.5.X was.

I used to run it dual boot with Win7 x64, but now just run 10.6.2 and have a VMware install of Win7 x64 instead...

Cheers

Brett

What's the opinion on Leopard v Snow Leopard? Is there more overall functionality with Snow Leopard are is it a zero-sum result?

I setup 10.5.6 and Win7 with Chameleon last night. However, I've been using a second monitor until I work out whether sleep-corners are still needed.

I'll do the research, but just need a simple yes/no to tell me if there's a work around for the black screen sleep-corner trick or if it's the only way to go. There's no point in scouring the Internet to find out what I already know how to do if nothing's changed.

For certain tasks I find a very significant speed advantage in Snow Leopard, especially when working with multimedia. For example viewing thumbnails in a folder with many photos, viewing high quality photos (e.g. raws), and video playback (especially playback while video editing) are all significantly faster in Snow Leopard. For me it's a no brainier to use Snow Leopard. Mine is pretty darn close to 100% functional, with the only things missing being C-states, shut down, Ethernet, and HDMI audio (none of those work under Leopard either, although I don't know if C-states are possible under Leopard). Sleep works fine.

Immo

Not sure what the sleep-corner trick is for, but I run 10.6.2 without any problems, well bar reboot and shutdown, but that is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned...

How relieved I am to hear you say that! On 10.5.6-8 using Intel GMA965/3100 chipset, there is a standard boot sequence just like on a Mac. However, after the kernel had fully loaded and the login screen was meant to appear, the screen would turn black. So it was necessary to set a 'sleep corner', move the mouse to that corner so as to put the screen into a sleep-setting (i.e. screen saver/blank-screen time out), then move the mouse away to wake it. This would allow the driver to fully function with QE, CI, and various resolutions.

It was rather crude, as you can see.

For certain tasks I find a very significant speed advantage in Snow Leopard, especially when working with multimedia. For example viewing thumbnails in a folder with many photos, viewing high quality photos (e.g. raws), and video playback (especially playback while video editing) are all significantly faster in Snow Leopard. For me it's a no brainier to use Snow Leopard. Mine is pretty darn close to 100% functional, with the only things missing being C-states, shut down, Ethernet, and HDMI audio (none of those work under Leopard either, although I don't know if C-states are possible under Leopard). Sleep works fine.

Immo

Thanks. I've got 10.6 and shall image it to a USB key and give that a go. It sounds rather a no-brainer to me as well.

From what I've read (as I've been configuring my DSDT for 10.5) C-states do work in Leopard. Hadn't investigated the potential with Snow Leopard though.

Thanks. I've got 10.6 and shall image it to a USB key and give that a go. It sounds rather a no-brainer to me as well.

From what I've read (as I've been configuring my DSDT for 10.5) C-states do work in Leopard. Hadn't investigated the potential with Snow Leopard though.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has figured it out yet, and some very smart people have been trying.

Immo

To the best of my knowledge nobody has figured it out yet, and some very smart people have been trying.

Immo

Oh right, C-States v P-States. I guess that's the appeal of under-volting then. Is there a significant percentage difference in your battery life from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Oh right, C-States v P-States. I guess that's the appeal of under-volting then. Is there a significant percentage difference in your battery life from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Never benchmarked ;) I'm usually plugged in. I like using a big monitor and ergonomic keyboard.

I also posted this in the XPS Compilation thread, not sure which is the current active one.

I've been reading this and other forums for days. I've searched, I've downloaded, and downloaded, but for the life of me I cannot get any version to install on my 1330. I apologize if there is a thread that addresses this, but i've read, and read, and searched, and searched, and didn't find one. Though I admit I could be over looking it, I do have probably over 30 tabs open between 5 windows right now.

I've tried iAtkos v1, v5, and v7. I've read that v4 works well but have been unable to download it. I've tried iPC 10.5.6, Leo4All 10.5.2, Kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 and iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite. None of these will install.

iAtkos v1 comes closest. The installer will load, I do the necessary work in disk utility, it verifies the disc and starts to install, but not long after it fails with the error "the installer could not validate the contents of the 10.5.1 intel package" I've tried searching for solutions to this error to no avail. I tried installing darwin beforehand, I've tried not installing it before.

iAtkos 5, Kalyway & Leo4All don't even finish loading, they all give me the same message of "Extention "com.apple.driver.apci_smc_platformplugin" has immediate dependencies and bot com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use one style"

i have same your problem,i dis google it,i got it fix

go to nios setting,disable speedstep,and you good to go with any OS X DVD installer

good luck

I've googled these errors and tried all the solutions I was able to find- often trying a different version, all with no success.

iAtkos 7, iPC, and both iDeneb versions all just stop without any error given just after the "Mac framework enabled" line. Enabling the Dual Core will result in a kernel panic for at least 1 of these, I've tried so many versions at this point I can't keep them straight.

From the best I could gather, I have my bios settings correct. I've disabled the multi-core and all the other cpu enhancements, but I've also tried with them enabled as well. My drive is set to AHCI.

I know from reading all these posts that it's very possible to install OS-X to the 1330. The majority of the posts I've found deal with resolving post-installation issues, I can't seem to find one that addresses the problems I'm having getting it installed in the first place.

Any help, suggestions, nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.

Stop using any of those modified distributions. Use a retail disc. You're wasting your time otherwise.

Make a boot CD or bootable USB key, swap the disc when told, and carry on. You may need a second monitor, keyboard, and mouse for the install unless you're keen on messing about with kexts straight away.

Hey, So I have been trying to get snow leopard on my dell xps m1530 for the past day without any luck. I have tried a few differant methods including using this guide, boot 132, tonymac, and a few others from lifehacker. All of them i seem to get to the point where it forcing me to hold down the power button to turn it off. I ran in -v mode and it was stopping on a line about nano seconds.

This morning I tried using myHack 1.0 and this has taken me to the installation section and I have selected the language but it now hangs on preparing installation. Does anyone have any ideas.

I am using a retail version and myhack on dell xps m1530. Parittion and formated an external drive and restored snow leopard on to that. Then installed myHack and added a few more of the kexts on there.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, So I have been trying to get snow leopard on my dell xps m1530 for the past day without any luck. I have tried a few differant methods including using this guide, boot 132, tonymac, and a few others from lifehacker. All of them i seem to get to the point where it forcing me to hold down the power button to turn it off. I ran in -v mode and it was stopping on a line about nano seconds.

This morning I tried using myHack 1.0 and this has taken me to the installation section and I have selected the language but it now hangs on preparing installation. Does anyone have any ideas.

I am using a retail version and myhack on dell xps m1530. Parittion and formated an external drive and restored snow leopard on to that. Then installed myHack and added a few more of the kexts on there.

Thanks in advance.

You have to use a modified DSDT. Follow immo's guide exactly. There are two install methods he recommends, usb key and SuperHai's boot cd. I used SuperHai's bootCD on both m1530 and m1330 without any problem.

You can skip the extracting and modifying the DSDT. Use Brett's anycpu DSDT that is attached but make sure you read and follow the steps. This method has worked for dozens of people, if it doesn't work for you, either you didn't follow the guide or something is different about your m1530 (seems unlikely but...) and you should try extracting the DSDT.

The links are in my signature or if you can't see the sig, you can find immo's guide HERE

Hello Everyone!

Can someone please help me perfect my XPS M1530 OSX Installation?

my System Specs Are:

• Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 2.4Ghz
  • Geforce 8600M GT
  • 2.5GB RAM
  • Intel 4965AGN (Gonna replace it with a Dell Wifi)
  • 250GB SATA WD 7200RPM
  • Bluetooth

I used iatkos v7 to install the OSX and parts of this guide to get stuff workin.

• I used the DSDT.aml specified for my system
  • VooDooBattery.kext
  • VooDooPower.Kext
  • SMBIOSResolver.kext
  • AppleDecrypt.kext

Ow Sleep works!

The laptop runs hot and the battery lasts an hr and 30min and I got an expended battery which lasts 3hrs in Windows. How can i fix this so my battery lasts longer and the laptop runs cooler? (NOTE: In windows the machine runs relatively cold until you do something like gaming and when and I've had an overheating shutdown in OSX)

Should i get a different DSDT.aml specific for my CPU? if so where? or could you post yours if its the same CPU as mine?

Can anyone post their M1530 BIOS Settings so i know mine are right? whats disabled? and/or enabled?

Is the webcam slowness a common problem? is their a fix?

Should i update chameloen EFI and/or the bootloader installed by Iatkos v7 to the latest? if so, how do i do that?

Any other advice would be welcome.

Any other advice would be welcome.

Well since you asked.

1) Try reading the thread before you post a question. If you had, or if you had even read the post before yours, you'd know that most people on this thread, and these days, most people on the forum don't encourage the use of "distros" like iAtkos. You'll get better results and just maybe even encourage Apple to let us keep doing what we do if you buy a retail OSX DVD.

2) Hmmm...let me see, how about this: Ditch iAtkos, and follow the post before yours and you'll have your m1530 working as well as it can right now with OSX.

Apologies for the 'tude but your question or something similar has been asked many times in this thread, like oh say 4 posts ago for one.

For the curious few...

You can update to 10.6.3 readily. Remember to follow these steps to avoid a KP.

1. Remove VoodooHDA.kext from /S/L/E (or /E/E even though it doesn't load from there)

2. Unload VoodooHDA.kext (go to the terminal and type as root: kextunload org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA) You might have to do this twice if it fails the first time. (This step is not necessary but might as well practice your hand at it...!!)

3. Reboot with a -f option at startup

4. Make sure VoodooHDA is not loaded (go to terminal and type: kextstat | grep HDA and check for voodoohda)

5. If there is no VoodooHDA, you are ready to update.

6. After update reboot. Then (re)move AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E and reboot with -f

7. check if AppleHDA has loaded. If not reinstall VoodooHDA in /S/L/E

Enjoy

and you will not have to remod IONetworkingFamily as AppleYukon2.kext is not getting replace in this update. (for M1530 people)

Hi Talisman!

I have a question for you: is the HDMI video out working for you in 10.6.3?

I Have a dell m1530, 8600m gt. I have not been able to get it working; the VGA out is working just fine, but as soon as

I get the HDMI cable connected to my dell, snow leopard gets freezed.

I have used the DSDT for any cpu made for this laptop (have the 8600m video card);

I have also used the NVinject_M1530_mirroring.kext from you and also tried EFI strings, but nothing seems to work.

The VGA video out works just fine, but as soon I connect the HDMI cable, the lap frezzes.

I also tried running snow leopard in 32 bit, but no luck

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help

I've managed to get Snow Leopard running rather well on my M1530 T8300 with GeForce 8600. However, my cooling fan is running incredibly loud and the CPU seems to heat up alot. It's a SL related problem as it runs nice and quiet in Windows or Leopard 10.5.8.

Speedstepping works according to Coolbook (although it jumps around quite a lot). Does the heating up has anything to do with the lack of C-states working in SL? If not, would anyone have any idea about how to fix this? I really don't trust using my laptop like this.

I Have a dell m1530, 8600m gt. I have not been able to get it working; the VGA out is working just fine, but as soon as

I get the HDMI cable connected to my dell, snow leopard gets freezed.

I do not have an external monitor or an HDMI cable. I would not know about it. I think something went wrong with the HDMI after the 10.6.2 update. I hope someone can help you.

For the M1530 people (might work for 1330 or other laptops too)

VoodooHDA now works fully with working internal mic. This is version 0.2.56 and was developed by Slice and others: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

The only remaining problems are

1. The VoodooHDA does not load from /Extra/Extensions/ so you will have to put it in /S/L/E

2. The PrefPane settings reset on reboot/shutdown

Otherwise it is great to be able to hear AND speak.

Note: This is for Snow Leopard only.

VoodooHDA_0.2.56_SL_PrefPane.zip

Hi Talisman!

I was using HDMI successfully with 10.6.2 on my M1330 with NVidia graphics, and after upgrading to 10.6.3 HDMI out broke :) The laptop screen locks up and the external does nothing if I try to plug in an HDMI monitor. From what I could find nobody has figured out a solution to the problem yet.

Immo

I was using HDMI successfully with 10.6.2 on my M1330 with NVidia graphics, and after upgrading to 10.6.3 HDMI out broke ;) The laptop screen locks up and the external does nothing if I try to plug in an HDMI monitor. From what I could find nobody has figured out a solution to the problem yet.

Immo

Problem started in 10.6.2 NVIDIA kexts, I was hoping it would be fixed in 10.6.3. Workaround is you need to revert it back to 10.6 ones.

Problem started in 10.6.2 NVIDIA kexts, I was hoping it would be fixed in 10.6.3. Workaround is you need to revert it back to 10.6 ones.

Hi there; should I use the 10.6 Kexts? would it work using the 10.6.1 kexts? Has anyone tried this successfully on a m1530 with the 8600m GT video card? And what kexts should be replaced? just the next ones:

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVSMU.kext

Or should I also replace this ones?:

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

Hey all,

Has anyone gotten 2 finger scrolling for x64 Snow Leopard? I tried the VoodooPS2Controller compiled in 64-bit but I keep getting "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchpad not found" Error in the preference pane. The trackpad works, it is just hyper sensitive and two finger scrolling does not seem to be working. I've also tried the numerous suggested fixes in this thread.

Anyone successfully get this going? This is the last thing on the list since shutdown was fixed ;)