[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

I have installed Snow Leopard using superhai's boot disk

http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

and there are a few things I can not get to work properly.

System specs:

2.5 Ghz processor which i believe is the T9300 something..

sata ssd's

1900x1200 Resolution

8600GT graphics

Dell 1395 wireless

I got sound working with the most current voodoo kext using OSX86Tools.

I cannot get my wifi card to work "out of the box" during the SL install there is no option for any wireless cards. I do however have complete ethernet functionality after install.

I also cannot get my graphics to work. I have tried using nvinject, and it works, however renders the restart/shutdown features useless. I have also tried the NVkush and it made my OS unbootable.

Any tips to uninstall the NVkush thus enabling a bootable system again, or alternative working methods to graphics working with retail install updated to 10.6.3 while retaining shutdown/restart features.

Should the wifi card be recgonized out of the box during the installation of SL?

Thanks in advance!!

hi, i have problem.

when i'm typing mount -um (step 13)

root_device on / (hfs, local, read-only, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local)

and then i can't use

chown -R 0:0 /Extra /boot

chmod -R 755 /Extra /boot

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

i need write mode. plz help

I have installed Snow Leopard using superhai's boot disk

http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

and there are a few things I can not get to work properly.

System specs:

2.5 Ghz processor which i believe is the T9300 something..

sata ssd's

1900x1200 Resolution

8600GT graphics

Dell 1395 wireless

I got sound working with the most current voodoo kext using OSX86Tools.

I cannot get my wifi card to work "out of the box" during the SL install there is no option for any wireless cards. I do however have complete ethernet functionality after install.

I also cannot get my graphics to work. I have tried using nvinject, and it works, however renders the restart/shutdown features useless. I have also tried the NVkush and it made my OS unbootable.

Any tips to uninstall the NVkush thus enabling a bootable system again, or alternative working methods to graphics working with retail install updated to 10.6.3 while retaining shutdown/restart features.

Should the wifi card be recgonized out of the box during the installation of SL?

Thanks in advance!!

You need to follow immo's guide (you can still use SuperHai's boot disk, it is one of the options). It all just works literally dozens of people have verified it.

I have been playing with SL install on my 1330 for quite a while and stock with "catch 22" problem - after several days of playing with working install my SL simply refused to boot. Even more interesting that superhai's dell boot cd that I used to install boesn't boot either - it stops int he middle of booting chameleon - before GUI is shown. As result I can't even re-install the system.

Have anyone experienced something like that?

Boot in the verbose mode and see what's happening... (-v) at boot...

There is no way to boot - it stock in the bootloader BEFORE initializing chameleon GUI.

Anyway - I wiped everything already.

Hi all,

I am completely new to this Operating System. First of all: interesting stuff around here! I have just installed succesfully iAtkos v7 with dualboot Windows 7 Ultimate! The dualboot works just perfectly, both the Operating Systems are working, Windows 7 ofcourse perfectly but I have some problems with Mac os X.

The OS I use: iAtkos V7 Version 10.5.7

My system is a Dell XPS M1330 with

CPU CORE 2 DUO T8100 2.10GHz,800,3M

Screen 13.3" WXGA (1280x800) White-LED Display with TrueLife (thinner, brighter & lighter)

Webcam Tuxedo Black & 0.3 mega pixel Camera for White-LED Display

RAM Memory Dual Channel 3.0GB (1X2GB + 1X1GB) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

HDD Hard Drive 320GB SATA (5400rpm)

DVD 8xDVD+/-RW Slim Slot-Load Drive, including SW

VGA 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

WiFi Intel® Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-PCI Card, EUR

BT European - Dell TrueMobile 355 internal Bluetooth Module

(specs copied and pasted from order form)

I searched the whole day for solutions for several problems on my laptop, can someone please give me a hint or advice how to fix the following problems?

The following things are NOT working on my laptop:

- WiFi

- Keyboard

- Touchpad

- Screen resolution (shows only 1024*768, I need 1280*800)

I think that probably these devices are not recognized by Mac OS X. Can someone help me out please?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Kind regards!

firstlly a big thanks to the guy who made this guide.

thanks to your inputs I was able to get 10.5.6 updated to 10.5.8 working perfectlly on my Dell XPS M1530.

then the 10.6 Bug bit.

And boy what a mistake that was.

You go from a system with everything working to practically nothing working.

there seems to be a lot of Hype about the fact that you can load the retail DVD for Snow ? Why when nothing works.

no sound no QE, no Wifi no shutdown the list goes on and on.

Am I missing something but there seems to be no distributions for snow ?

With 10.5.6 I used IPC and it was a walk in the park.

Now Im stuck trying to figure out how to update 10.6 to 10.6.3 in the hope that more stuff will start to work.

Once again thanks for this guide.

On the bat. dont buy the dell bat its a POS. Get the 45$ after market one.

I have one doubt though. I found a link superhari's which has dellsnow1, dellsnow2 etc.

But I could never figure out what the numbers meant ?

If they are just updates then why not just have the latest version listed.

If they are for different configurations then why not mention what each file is for on the download page.

If somebody could solve this mystery for me Id be much obliged.

The following things are NOT working on my laptop:

- WiFi

- Keyboard

- Touchpad

- Screen resolution (shows only 1024*768, I need 1280*800)

I managed to fix the screenresolution, with osx86tools from Google Docs and the keyboard + touchpad with VoodooPS2Controller (google it) !

Anyone on wifi?

Hey, I have a XPS M1530 and I am trying to use Hazar's Snow Leopard distro to install osx on my laptop that already has win7 and linux mint on 2 other partitions.

I have win7 and Linux mint already installed on 2 other partitions and I made a HFS+ journaled partition for OSX(all on the same HDD). It installed successfully and I used easyBCD 2.0 Beta to create 3 options when I boot, one boots win7, one boots GRUB2, and one boots chameleon RC3 with PC EFI 10.5

xhdyn.jpg

Those are the options that someone recommended to me to use during the install but they don't seem to work. Anyone know which ones of those I can choose that will at least let my system boot to OSX so I can then install the proper .kexts and DSDT? I have also tried that same configuration without the 2 SATA fixes.

Specs:

XPS M1530

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz

nvidia 8600M

1680x1050 LCD

intel 4965AGN

Marvell Yukon 88E8040

Western Digital 320GB HDD

4GB RAM

Thanks a lot in advance :wacko:

Anyone on wifi?

1. Intel Wifi still does not work... at least not for 3945. Camphor has something going, but it is very limited in functionality. Any one who has has OS X working for any significant periods of time, has a Dell Truemobile card (essentially a BCM 4311 or 4312). Buy it and put it into the WAN slot.

2. This threads has tons of information on Snow Leopard. I have myself put in quite a bit. Please do not decide for yourself what others are supposed to post.

3. For anyone who has Leopard working in a M1530, getting SL to work should be trivial. Use Retail DVD, and all you need is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5307BH0Q

This package is also useful to those who are starting off on OS X with SL.

Everything seems to work except shutdown,restart, and sound. How would I fix those?

For sound to work, use the VoodooHDA in that package and put it in /S/L/E and repair permissions. It does not load from /E/E. Make sure you delete AppleHDA or you will get a KP. Also make sure you install the VoodooHDA prefpane.

For shutdown use the DSDT in the package. If that does not work look into immo's thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780 and use the generic DSDT

Restart works with Master Chief's OSXRestart.kext. I do not use it though.

What's the best bootloader right now? Im using chameleon RC4 and restart still isn't working.

Also what will happen if I apply the 10.6.3 combo update? I'm on a retail install and I'm wondering if I will have to reinstall kexts and other custom files from the bootdisc terminal.

Also what will happen if I apply the 10.6.3 combo update? I'm on a retail install and I'm wondering if I will have to reinstall kexts and other custom files from the bootdisc terminal.

If you have the IOATA fix in the DSDT, then all you need to do before the update is unload VoodooHDA, remove it and rebuild the cache. The upgrade and do the required reboots. Once the dust settles down, remove AppleHDA and reinstall VoodooHDA. AppleYukon2 does not get affected by the update (if I remember correctly....). In case it does you will have to do the mods again, assuming you have a M1530.

If you have the IOATA fix in the DSDT, then all you need to do before the update is unload VoodooHDA, remove it and rebuild the cache. The upgrade and do the required reboots. Once the dust settles down, remove AppleHDA and reinstall VoodooHDA. AppleYukon2 does not get affected by the update (if I remember correctly....). In case it does you will have to do the mods again, assuming you have a M1530.

Weren't there video driver issues with 10.6.3 on a M1530?

It will freeze if you connect hdmi->hdmi, convert to dvi and it works fine.

Thanks for the info Chrysaor! I'm gonna try that... have you been able to get audio out this way?

Regards,

-d

m1530

T9300

4 Gig ram

8600 m gt

so I am using superhai's boot cd. i ended up installing SL. however, after that, i could not boot up the installation dvd after install. i keep getting "still waiting for root device" after playing with it some more (trying to install chameleon and such) i loaded gparted and it said there was a problem with my efi partition. so i reformatted it.....blah blah. ended up reformating my hd and trying to start over. now i have a fresh hd gpt but everytime i try to load the install dvd i get the "still waiting for root device" again. i don't know what to do. I have also tried in ATA mode and AHCI<sp?> mode.

post-630948-1277182111_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

It's been a lot of time since last time that I played with Leo 10.5.2 on my XPS m1330, by the way I've installed using SuperHai CD SL 10.6.4 now I have the drivers stage. I remember in 10.5.2 for video card there was some installer, how about Snow Leopard?

Please give me some directions, also the problem of shutdown restart is solved with SL?

Thanks