[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Ok, I have gone in, partitioned my HDD, set up 30gb of space for OS X, and am running Windows 7 on my other half. I have downloaded 2 different versions, iAtkos v7 and Kalway 10.5.2. Both burn successfully, but when I go to boot my laptop through the DVD it says

"system config file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found"

I thought this was only gonna happen with the iAtkos v7 so I tried the Kalway version but got the same error message.

Can someone PLEASE help me and explain how to get around this error.

My specs:

Dell XPS M1330;

Imageshack - specs5.jpg

Imageshack - specs4.jpg

Imageshack - specs3.jpg

Imageshack - specs2q.jpg

Imageshack - specs1.jpg

BTW, I have 2 of those RAM, same power and speed.

Hey all,

Has anyone gotten 2 finger scrolling for x64 Snow Leopard? I tried the VoodooPS2Controller compiled in 64-bit but I keep getting "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchpad not found" Error in the preference pane. The trackpad works, it is just hyper sensitive and two finger scrolling does not seem to be working. I've also tried the numerous suggested fixes in this thread.

Anyone successfully get this going? This is the last thing on the list since shutdown was fixed :)

How about letting us know your system configuration/notebook model...??

Ok, I have gone in, partitioned my HDD, set up 30gb of space for OS X, and am running Windows 7 on my other half. I have downloaded 2 different versions, iAtkos v7 and Kalway 10.5.2. Both burn successfully, but when I go to boot my laptop through the DVD it says

"system config file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found"

What are you doing trying to install 10.5.2..?? or even IATKOS 7...?? Anyways, if you wish to do so, install chameleon bootloader and it will find the com.apple.boot.plist in the /E/E folder.

Problem started in 10.6.2 NVIDIA kexts, I was hoping it would be fixed in 10.6.3. Workaround is you need to revert it back to 10.6 ones.

Interestingly enough it works perfect with 10.6.2 for me. I'm using it on my HDMI monitor right now! I do have an M1330 with an 8400M GS. Maybe that makes a difference?

Immo

How about letting us know your system configuration/notebook model...??

Sorry I forgot something so obvious!

Specs:

M1530 - CPU: T7500, NVIDIA: 8600

Alps Touchpad

10.6.3 (x64) - using DSDT for speedstep, nvidia, etc

Let me know if you need more information, thanks for helping!

Also, I can confirm that HDMI video out is broken in 10.6.3, so don't upgrade 'til a fix is out.

Do you have sound working on your m1330 (Speakers) if so how?

Yes I do, but it seems that speakers just do not work with certain M1330 hardware revisions. Known issue :( Try Slice's latest VoodooHDA.

Immo

Interestingly enough it works perfect with 10.6.2 for me. I'm using it on my HDMI monitor right now! I do have an M1330 with an 8400M GS. Maybe that makes a difference?

Immo

Hi there!

On my m1530 with an 8600m video card, I've installed 10.6.2 again and now, the HDMI and VGA out is working properly, just fine! (I had to put the 10.6.1 nvidia kexts to get it working properly).

I am using the Brett's lates DSDT. Have shutdown working,

I got the hdmi out issue on 10.6.3

Hope we find soon a solution for that! :D

Hey guys, I noticed that FN DEL key on m1530 shows the brightness status, but with FN up down arrow key, its not the case. FN ESC puts the computer to sleep but FN F1 (which should put the computer to sleep) doesn't work.

Does anybody have a correctly mapped out m1530 keyboard?

Regards,

D.

If you wish to you can walk down that path... but editing keymaps is even more annoying that editing node maps... or that is what I feel... besides you will also have to figure out the keymaps for an apple keyboard...try plugging in an apple keyboard and see if everything works correctly.. if it does its a problem with our hardware and that needs to be remapped... if everything doesn't work then the VoodooPS2 needs to be modded...

Got bored a bit this morning whilst re-building the HTPC here at home so started looking at the serial number on my M1530 OSX install...

Found a nice little site that shows what the serial number actually references so went and built a serial number that actually has meaning to my laptop :)

MacBookPro serial number:

AA = City, Country where it was made

B = Year it was made

CC = Week it was made in that year

DDD = item number in that week where D = 0-Z

EEE = Model identifier.

Some Country codes:

W8 = Shanghai, China

W9 = China

VM = Czech Republic

Some Model Identifiers:

1GA = 15" MacBookPro (aluminium)

0TH = Intel iMac (2009 model)

So why not go and make up your own serial number that makes sense rather than using someone elses :)

Just be warned that some programs will get upset when you change the serial number, like Little Snitch, so will require re-registering.

Some fun for you all :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am currently using a work laptop that I did not customize (as of yesterday it was running Mac OS x 10.5.6 on an XPS M1330, working perfectly fine). Out of sheer stupidity and desire to upgrade to Safari 4.0.5 for dling iTunes podcasts..I updated to 10.5.8). While it seems that just about everything is still working fine, remarkably, the sound input and output are no longer recognized, and there is no audio control in the menu bar. The specs I am running are as follows (and correct me if I need to add additional specs, as I am not in any way a programmer, I just enjoy computers as a side hobby):

Dell XPS M1330

2 core processor, 2.19 GHz

2 MB L2 cache

4 GB SDRAM

Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS

SATA 298 GB

(I'm sure I will need to provide more information)

Im not sure exactly what versions of each startup this comp is running, but I know in the boot it loads Chameleon and Darwin). I'll just post this for now so I can know what additional information I need to add.

Thanks a ton, and I've been researching this a bunch already - this forum seems to have a wealth of information on similar modifications/running Leopard on xps 1330s.

As I've been glancing over more of these pages, it seems that if everything else is working fine and just the audio is broken, I may just need an updated kext for 10.5.8? Hopefully its as simple as that, but I'm not the one to know!

Thanks! ;)

As I've been glancing over more of these pages, it seems that if everything else is working fine and just the audio is broken, I may just need an updated kext for 10.5.8? Hopefully its as simple as that, but I'm not the one to know!

Thanks! :)

Hey rx7,

Search "ProjectOSX VoodooHDA" in google.

The page has a kext for leopard and snow leopard.

Remember to delete AppleHDA prior to installing VoodooHDA to avoid KP.

On another note, Hello guys,

I have a couple of questions....

1)Did anybody manage to get deep-sleep/hibernate to work on m1530 yet?

2)I am using VoodooHDA version 2.61, is there a way to get both 3.5 jacks to work simultaneously? This hasn't worked in any previous versions of voodoohda either... At the moment the left one works. Has anybody edited the plist nodes to get both to work?

3)Slice from ProjectOSX has updated the VoodooHDA kext to have HDMI support. Has anybody been able to get audio to work?

2)I am using VoodooHDA version 2.61, is there a way to get both 3.5 jacks to work simultaneously? This hasn't worked in any previous versions of voodoohda either... At the moment the left one works. Has anybody edited the plist nodes to get both to work?

The reason you cannot do this the plist way is because multiple output can be put in a group by making the default association the same but need to have distinct identifier in the group in the verbs that you put in the "Nodes to Patch" key. I believe it can be done by modding the binary but I havn't looked into that.

A. question about UUIDs and which one to enter where.

I,ve found several different ones.

1. Disk Utility. Get Info on my OSX volume. Universal Unique Identifier. 32digit 5block alphanumeric code

2. System Preferences.. Accounts.. Advanced options.. code of same length, completely different.

3. /User/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ ... the 12 digit code matches my ethernet mac address.

and so looking at my smbios.plist nodes I see SMborduuid, and the 32digit entry matches neither 1 nor 2, nor did the final 12 match the ethernet MAC.

so I'm thinking I should enter my MAC address as the final 12 digits in the SMboarduuid entry.

Is this correct?

Also, need I worry about the other non-matching UUIDs?

Most things ARE working correctly OOB, except the usual(LAN,restart...haven't tried HDMI).

B. Audio through VoodooHDA261 Leo and prefPane is NOT working. Volume controls function through keyboard, however no output through internal speakers or headphones. perhaps I have prefPane wrongly configured.

TIA

Edit: Certain things went haywire after the smbios change. Thought I did it all well and repaired permissions, but after a couple hours and a disk catalog error I have a fresh REinstall going.

upon reinstall my plan is.

1. Run 10.5.8 update from file. reboot with BootCD.

2. Run Chameleon RC2 installer.

3. Install DSDT.aml + smbios.plist in /Extra/ per Immo's guide. Most or the smbios.plist entries are simlar. need to adjust Serial? uuid? anything else?

4.copy to /Extra/Extensions/

dsmos, ApplePS2Controller, AppleACPIPs2Nub, anything else?

5. VoodooHDA(previously not working for me) install with osx86tools.

6. finally got SL DVD booted with superhai'- disc. I think i'll try SL, but most of this still applies?

Thanks again anyone out there

hi everyone!

can you help me? i'm bored to find a better solution to get fully worked 8600m.

I tried: NVEnabler, Natit (show only 128mb) , NVinject 0.2.2

Use universal DSDT

CPU: T7500

Thanks and sorry for my bad English)

After many re-installs. I have Chameleon RC4 dual-booting SL & Win7. Still questions remain. First a list of whats been done.

/E/E/ contains AppleACPIPS2Nub, ApplePS2Controller, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooBattery, fakesmc, IOATAFamily... all per Superhai's bootCD.

DSDT.aml is CPU specific 2.45GHz T8300 with all the fixes per Immo.

also smbios.plist per Immo,s guide... edited as much as I knew how.

To Do:

Audio.. VoodooHDA & prefPane. voodooHDA installs to S/L/E/? Must AppleHDA be deleted?

Edit smbios & com.Apple.boot.plist (also grabbed from Superhai and edited to boot x64.)

Here is my com.boot.Apple.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 DropSSDT=Y</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and here is my smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Dell Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>XPS M1330</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>200</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2400</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>00FF0000</string>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>000736TU</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>667</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMboardid</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMboarduuid</key>
<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-001F3A570617</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
<string>DIMM_A</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
<string>DIMM_B</string>
</dict>
</plist>

So I edited the smbios SMboarduuid to match the final 12 characters to my Ethernet MAC address. Is this supposed to be done here? When I do this I get a completely different Hardware UUID in Sys Profiler. which differs from the UUID I find in Accounts..Advanced and in Disk Utility.

Also I left the serial at XXXXXX and Sys Profiler displays my Dell Service Tag for a serial, and I entered nothing.

basically I feel that one of these 2 plists needs changing, but I can,t figure out why. mainly to display acurate info in profiler. so I can proceed with audio.

THANKS everyone geniuses & noobs

Also

Has anyone bought a replacement battery for their M1330?

I am wondering if Dell's $150 6cell is any better than a $40 third-party battery.

Also could a dead battery prevent any hardware loading or operating correctly? I know I can,t update the BIOS firmware without it.