[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

HI guys,

i have used this guide with the preeboot v 0.5, but the sound and shotdown isn't work!

HELP ME!!!

If you have an nVidia Graphics Card, then you won't get Shutdown (or restart) working as far as I know.

For audio, use VoodooHDA.

I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with this characteristics:

CPU: Intel Core 2Duo 2.20Ghz 4MB Cache T7500

Hard Drive: 200GB

Memory: 3GB

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT 256MB

Display: 15.4" 1440x900

Audio: Sigmatel 92xx

Ethernet: Marvel Yukon 10/100/1000 88e804y

Wireless: Dell Truemobile 1490

Bluetooth

2.0 MP Camera

Fingerprint Reader

DVD Drive - Slot Type

What version of leopard is the best for my computer and what options i have to put in personalize menu (chipset,kernel,etc...)

I've tried this VoodooPS2 as well and it works for me, except: nog trackpad-scrolling. Any tips on that?

Two finger scroll works perfectly. Make sure you make the edits to Trackpad.prefpane to make it appear in the system pref. and check on two finger scroll.

Hi guys,

My notebook is

Dell XPS M1530 T7250-8600GT

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB)

Mainboard Intel PM965

High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

Speed: 250GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor

Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (abg)

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E (10/100MBit)

Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)

56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Audi SigmaTel STAC9228

Usb Adaptor Zyxel NWD 271N

1- I installed İdeneb 1.6 mac leopard 10.5.8. After I loaded graphic card, it does not restart or shutdown.

I had to turn it off by pushing power button.

2- I installed İatkos V7 mac leopard 10.5.7 and again after loading graphic card, it did not restart or shut down.

In these versions, how can I restart or shutdown my notebook?

3- I installed Universal 3.6 Snow leopard 10.6.2 and tried to load NVEnabler64,Nvinject,NvidiaGO,Nvkushinstaller ve Nvinstaller by punk92

files but they did not work. I'm looking for a driver apropriate to this version. How can it work?

4- In Snow leopard, usb adaptor Zyxel NWD 271N is not installed. It gives an error message. How can I fix this?

I'm waitin for your help. Thanks...

Hi guys,

My notebook is

Dell XPS M1530 T7250-8600GT

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB)

Mainboard Intel PM965

High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

Speed: 250GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor

Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (abg)

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E (10/100MBit)

Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)

56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Audi SigmaTel STAC9228

Usb Adaptor Zyxel NWD 271N

1- I installed İdeneb 1.6 mac leopard 10.5.8. After I loaded graphic card, it does not restart or shutdown.

I had to turn it off by pushing power button.

2- I installed İatkos V7 mac leopard 10.5.7 and again after loading graphic card, it did not restart or shut down.

In these versions, how can I restart or shutdown my notebook?

3- I installed Universal 3.6 Snow leopard 10.6.2 and tried to load NVEnabler64,Nvinject,NvidiaGO,Nvkushinstaller ve Nvinstaller by punk92

files but they did not work. I'm looking for a driver apropriate to this version. How can it work?

4- In Snow leopard, usb adaptor Zyxel NWD 271N is not installed. It gives an error message. How can I fix this?

I'm waitin for your help. Thanks...

I have a Dell XPS M1530 too with the same characteristics

What options you put in customize install of ideneb??

i can't start leopard without dvd. say "still waiting for root device"

please help

Two finger scroll works perfectly. Make sure you make the edits to Trackpad.prefpane to make it appear in the system pref. and check on two finger scroll.

Thanks! That did the trick I think.

Just updated to 10.6.2. It appears to work without any problems!

Is it possible to achieve the following when dual booting Leo and Vista?

normal boot via power-button: launches the windows bootloader

Boot via MediaDirect Button: launches the chameleon bootloader

A good reason for this is that Vista can't use it's built-in backup service when using a different bootloader, same with some updates (like service-pack updates).

I have seen this before, you can edit the mediadirect config.

Have not yet really looked into it (i should be writing a thesis about now), just something that i'm curious about.

Is it possible to achieve the following when dual booting Leo and Vista?

normal boot via power-button: launches the windows bootloader

Boot via MediaDirect Button: launches the chameleon bootloader

A good reason for this is that Vista can't use it's built-in backup service when using a different bootloader, same with some updates (like service-pack updates).

I have seen this before, you can edit the mediadirect config.

Have not yet really looked into it (i should be writing a thesis about now), just something that i'm curious about.

Its possible, im using it like that.

Set hfs partition as active. In Windows, use rmbr to set partitions to buttons.

Hello

Could someone who has gotten the trackpad prefPane in System Preferences to work please explain what they did in more detail. I have read through this thread and tried several different recommendations and I have still had no luck.

ApplePS2SynapticsTouchpad not found. Sorry if missed the fix.

Yes, got it to work. Also the info is on this thread on how to get it working. Its simple. replace your trackpad kext with one for Alps Trackpad from voodooprojects. You can find the Alps trackpad kext in VoodooPS2Controller.kext. Repair permissions and it works....

If you want to use the trckpad prefPane in System Preferences then make changes to info.plist. This info has been detailed and listed in this thread.

Have there been any significant changes since the initial post in this thread? The tutorial carries a revision date from 2009 and MacGirl's from 2008.

Just trying to work out if there's anything relevant between page 1 and 49 or if it's people asking if sleep works yet?

Have there been any significant changes since the initial post in this thread? The tutorial carries a revision date from 2009 and MacGirl's from 2008.

Just trying to work out if there's anything relevant between page 1 and 49 or if it's people asking if sleep works yet?

The recent pages are relevant... sleep works for me, hibernate or "deep-sleep" does not.

I've used the first post as a general guideline. Seems to be okay.

@donkey: In your signature I see that you have a working dual boot of Win7 & SL. That's my 'new endeavour'. Looking for some guidance, I find that some people have Windows in the first partition, while others have SL first. What were your steps to get this working?

I'm currently having Windows 7 installed in the first, SL in the second and neither will boot :-)

I can, however, still get into SL with a boot-cd (or usb). Probably some fdisk-work will get one of them to boot, but I'm thinking about starting over. Any tips?

Another strange thing though; after installing SL and rebooting (with help from a boot-disc), when I try to install Chameleon 2-RC2, it ends in "Installation failed". Will this 'do' any harm?

EDIT: Dual-boot works. The problem was bootloader-related. After removing all boot-stuff and reinstalling Chameleon-2.0-RC3 (using just the command line), I was able to boot into OSX, then repaired Windows, did some diskpart-magic and all of a sudden a big smile came on my face :D.

Next project: undervolting.

I've used the first post as a general guideline. Seems to be okay.

I used MacGirl's in 08 and was able to dualboot XP/Vista and 10.4. I tried Wingunner's in almost exactly a year ago but had problems with Boot-132 CD (one version the screen worked but the keyboard didn't, another the keyboard worked but the screen didn't). I've only just begun reading up on this stuff again a few days ago.

Is Boot-132 still the recommended/preferred method for booting retail 10.5.6+? If so, does anyone know where I can find an image for an m1330 with Intel GMA965 (as it seems everyone else uses Nvidia)?

Has QE/CI been fixed for GMA965 chipsets or does it still require a sleep corner?

Nota bene: I'm not trying to monopolize all of your time and expect you to do the work. I've searched the site thoroughly but there's so much contradictory information and so much which is system dependent. What works for most m1330s will work for mine I should think.

If anyone has a link to the relatively current information, that'd be grand. Cheers chaps.

Setup up my M1530 with this guide (2.4 8400). Used built in update for 10.6.2, generic DSDT, vodooHDA,PS2, OSXrestart and all is functioning. Sleep, reboot, sound, trackpad. The only thing I cannot get running is the fingerprint reader. I used the latest UPEK beta, but it is reporting that my fingerprints are already stored and I cannot get past the setup wizard. Shutdown does not work, but it never has worked before. Make sure you delete IOTAfamily.kext before updating to 10.6.2 or you will get a KP. If you do boot using -s and enter mount -rw, CD System/Library/Extensions, and finally RM -RF IOATAFamily.kext and then reboot.

10.6.2 is extremely stable, I have had only one KP on boot up and I have not crashed once while running SL. I have loaded VMware and I am running windows 7 successfully under SL. Make sure you enable virtualization (sp?) in the bios for increased performance.

Setup up my M1530 with this guide (2.4 8400). Used built in update for 10.6.2, generic DSDT, vodooHDA,PS2, OSXrestart and all is functioning. Sleep, reboot, sound, trackpad. The only thing I cannot get running is the fingerprint reader. I used the latest UPEK beta, but it is reporting that my fingerprints are already stored and I cannot get past the setup wizard. Shutdown does not work, but it never has worked before. Make sure you delete IOTAfamily.kext before updating to 10.6.2 or you will get a KP. If you do boot using -s and enter mount -rw, CD System/Library/Extensions, and finally RM -RF IOATAFamily.kext and then reboot.

10.6.2 is extremely stable, I have had only one KP on boot up and I have not crashed once while running SL. I have loaded VMware and I am running windows 7 successfully under SL. Make sure you enable virtualization (sp?) in the bios for increased performance.

From the information I've seen on Snow Leopard everyone's asid to stick with 10.5.6+ on m1330/1530s. I thought there was meant to be loads of support issues. Not the case? From what you're saying, it sounds like there's more functionality with 10.6 versus 10.5. Sleep and restart work? Hibernation? How's battery life?

@shank

Could you post a tutorial, i want to install sl too, and your install seems to works fine.

I try to make my one, and i used EasyBCD, but when i select Mac OS booting i have this message "Chain booting error".

Is someone know what i can do ?

Becaus when i used my Empire EFI, and i select SL installed on my hard disk, SL boots without problems.

Thanks

I would like to know how to update to SL, too!

atm im running 10.5.8 on my m1530...with exception of WiFi, shutdown, sleep, restart, fingerscan and mediakeys, everything runs great for me.

i used ideneb v1.4 with mac os x 10.5.6, then used the ideneb combo upgrade kit to 10.5.7 and finally the ideneb combo upgrade kit to 10.5.8.

Before that, i have installed Leo4all with 10.5.2, and the shutdown etc WORKED! i dont know whats missing in 10.5.6 and higher, im a noob at such things...maybe someone how has the abilities can check this out?

i really would like to enable wifi, the restart thing doesnt matter to me. iwifi doesnt works, when i restart the xps it, says i have to hold down the power button to shut down. Any Idea?

I just found out about BootThink. Is it a matter of preference between Chameleon and BootThink or is one better than the other or has one got superior features?

I installed BootThink from within Windows 7 and everything worked within seconds. Not sure why I hadn't heard of this sooner if it's this simple. It seems to have 64-bit support as well as Snow Leopard. Does Chameleon RC4?

Is this the same as under-clocking? Does speed-stepping not work for you?

Speedstepping seems to work, but I would like to try if it's possible to extend battery-life and/or lower heat by underclocking/undervolting. I don't think you can have one without the other. But I'm no expert on the subject, so I could be wrong ;)