[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

It doesn't matter what your retail disk is (ISO or DMG) since you are burning it to a DVD. Anyway, you should be able to use my boot cd to boot the retail disk with your HD's in AHCI mode. ATA mode was only required for iAtkos 4. The retail DVD will install OS X the same way it would be installed on a real Mac. iAtkos and other distrubutions are modified to support a wider range of hardware but since our laptops are so close to real Macbooks we can run an installation that is very close to the "real" thing.

By the leopard wallpaper do you mean the apple with the spinning wheel below it or when it gets into the installer?

It doesn't matter what your retail disk is (ISO or DMG) since you are burning it to a DVD. Anyway, you should be able to use my boot cd to boot the retail disk with your HD's in AHCI mode. ATA mode was only required for iAtkos 4. The retail DVD will install OS X the same way it would be installed on a real Mac. iAtkos and other distrubutions are modified to support a wider range of hardware but since our laptops are so close to real Macbooks we can run an installation that is very close to the "real" thing.

By the leopard wallpaper do you mean the apple with the spinning wheel below it or when it gets into the installer?

Thank you for help!

When I use my customly burned RETAIL DVD I get to this screen:

I used my friends original DVD that came with his mac.

This is the screen i mean:

imgwallpapersmacosxleop.th.jpg

So it is like it is about to get to the installer screen, but it never does. It just freezes there forever with the cursor image rotating.

When I used my friends original DVD that came with his mac.

Then I first get to here:

dsc04370t.th.jpg

And then right after I passes this screen it freezes at this next screen:

dsc04371.th.jpg

And here is what I get when I run it with -v command using my friends original DVD:

dsc04369h.th.jpg

That was all when I try doing it using RETAIL DVD.

When I try using iAtkos 5i this is the error I get:

dsc04368u.th.jpg

I was trying to play with different BIOS settings as someone esle mentioned on the first page, but that didn't help either. It sounds like it is just the beginning and I can't even get over the first simple steps :unsure:

By the way, I have 3 partitions setup:

1- WinXp - NTFS - PRIMARY

2- Mac OS - MacOS Journaled(After installing iAtkos it left to be in that format) - PRIMARY

3- Shared - NTFS (will probably use Paragon NTFS on Mac Os later to share this data) - LOGICAL

I almost lost all my hope now :)

Hi,

I amd a newbie too and had a similar issue while installation.

1) Did you try to first boot from bootable DVD or USB drive ? I was able to boot from USB first then I selected hard disk (81) when I get the boot:

2) Copy the PS2 files from OP NEWISO.zip.

Hope this helps.

Another Update: I was able to connect my Jawbone bluetooth with XPS M1330 now and I am able to use the Mic from Jawbone for doing Voice chat.

Finally got a workaround for Mic on XPS M1330 with OSX 10.5.6!!!!

cheers!!!!!

Hey all. I am getting a M1530 and i have a few questions. When the guide refers to the "Vanilla" version isn't that the same as finding a "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 Full Retail?" If I download the full retail I will be able to update without anything breaking right? Also I have picked out the specs for my system. If someone could help me determine if there would be any compatibility issues with any of the hardware i picked out, that would be greatly appreciated

Specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache)

LCD AND CAMERA: High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 M

MEMORY: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

HARD DRIVE: Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE: CD/DVD writer (DVD+/-RW) +Roxio Creator 10 Premier-Ultimate Burn/Authoring

VIDEO CARD: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

WIRELESS CARDS: Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

BLUETOOTHL: Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)

BATTERY OPTIONS: 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

SOUND OPTIONS: ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

Hey all. I am getting a M1530 and i have a few questions. When the guide refers to the "Vanilla" version isn't that the same as finding a "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 Full Retail?"

EDIT: Actually, I was mistaken. I thought "Vanilla" was the OS X Retail kernel but it's not. See below:

While I can't really answer much else, yes "Vanilla" refers to the unmodified original Kernel from the retail DVD.

No that is a vanilla kernel.

A vanilla install is as close as possible to the OS X installation on a real Mac. These laptops are capable of a vanilla install with only a few modified drivers to get them to work.

Your laptop looks fine except for the X-Fi. That won't work in OS X.

No that is a vanilla kernel.

A vanilla install is as close as possible to the OS X installation on a real Mac. These laptops are capable of a vanilla install with only a few modified drivers to get them to work.

Your laptop looks fine except for the X-Fi. That won't work in OS X.

Oops, I was under the impression "Vanilla" = no changes = OS X Retail. :)

Thanks for correcting me, I edited my other post to reflect it.

So if I download a retail version of OSX and installed it, I would be performing a vanilla install right?

EDIT: Thanks for the reply about compatibility. If i changed my sound to the basic "high def audio 2.0" would that work? or the "integrated sound blaster audio HD software edition"

Hooray,

I am now close to getting Mac Os Installed.

So basically, I used retail DVD and it now went good until it came up to the installer and partitioning stuff.

I format my partition in Mac OS exteneded journaled, and it goes smooth with no problems. I also have it set up as primary partition. When I choose which partition to install to, the installer says that my newly formatted partition is not compatible. I have no idea why. Any know a fix? Here is the screenshot:

dsc04376.th.jpg

So if I download a retail version of OSX and installed it, I would be performing a vanilla install right?

EDIT: Thanks for the reply about compatibility. If i changed my sound to the basic "high def audio 2.0" would that work? or the "integrated sound blaster audio HD software edition"

Basic high def. The integrated sound blaster is software only and is a waste of money. Creative stuff in general doesn't have good compatibility in OS X.

I am now close to getting Mac Os Installed.

So basically, I used retail DVD and it now went good until it came up to the installer and partitioning stuff.

I format my partition in Mac OS exteneded journaled, and it goes smooth with no problems. I also have it set up as primary partition. When I choose which partition to install to, the installer says that my newly formatted partition is not compatible. I have no idea why. Any know a fix?

Did you try following the directions either in your own screenshot or the directions that are laid out in the guide? Mac OS Extended Journaled is NOT the same as a GUID partition table.

Basic high def. The integrated sound blaster is software only and is a waste of money. Creative stuff in general doesn't have good compatibility in OS X.

Did you try following the directions either in your own screenshot or the directions that are laid out in the guide? Mac OS Extended Journaled is NOT the same as a GUID partition table.

If I do that, will that influence data on any of my partitions? Will that change partition sizes or anything like that? I thought it will, and I already have WinXp setup on my first partition. And my Data partition is has like 350gb of data. Any way around repartitioning all the partitions and not moving my data?

My laptop hard drive is partitioned as follows:

1-WinXp - Primary

2-Mac - Primary

3-Data-Logical

I have questions concerning AppleBacklight.kext. I have added this line to the info.plist of nvinject, presumably after the line begininning

<dict>

<key>@0,built-in</key>*added

<data>AQ==</data>*added

<key>@0,compatible</key>*added

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

so, my keyboard does not light up yet, which is what I would think AppleBacklight might do for me, nor can I find any setting to tweak this matter, and the display does not auto-sleep on a lid close, which is probably the most important part.

No ClamShellDisplay installed, waiting for further results on this idea.

I am willing to test further.

I am XPS m1330

2.4ghz core2Duo

4gbRam

Nvidia 8400GS

6cell, not so bad, will clock soon on full charge.

no real shutdown causes the major heat issues when battery runs out and lid shut. Not complaining, but its something I've had to watch.

I purchased this machine used on craigslist a few months back and the video went out two months after I osx86'd it. Warranty transferred and a Dell lady came and fixed it for me. She was asking me all these questions about Vista (which I've never ran) and I just nodded and yes'd my way through her shpeel. Anyway, she couldn't believe as she watched it boot up.

Curious if any parts, mobo or onboard video, could be upgradeable within the hardware config? Just seems like if the video kicked once, it could conceivably happen again.

Thanks for everyone contributing and asking questions. I owe all of the success of this machine running stable to this message board. Keep up the great work and get your (s)macbooks cookin up

good food.

Hi wingrunr21, and thanks for a pretty decent guide!!

There are a few thing i´m missing.

I installed a retail install with a retail 10.5.6 LEo & your 132 boot. everything went as expected and worked fine

i then installed the new chameleon 2.0rc1 which also works great

The only real question i have is about the battery life.

There is only one kext i´ve installed (besides the disabler.kext for applecpumanger) which is Voodoopower.kext for speedstepping

my battery life isn´t so good, i´m getting less than 1.30min of batterylife with little/no use this is with a 6 cell battery.

I was wondering what to do to maximize my batterylife as i use my laptop for watching movies etc on the train (i also turn of my wifi and display lvl at almost the lowest)

still i never manage to fully watch a movie..

ps: it would be nice if you upgraded your guide to include how to install kext on the /Volumes/EFI partition & other important stuff like the DSDT.aml etc.

Have a nice day ;)

thanks for any reply =)

Edit: The ONLY way to burn a .dmg retail dual layer dvd in xp/vista is with PowerISO (imgburn doesn´t work!)

WOW! I finally got Mac OS installed! I feel like a king now ..LOL..

But my problem is that I can't boot from HDD, I have to always use the CD...

What i did:

1-Installed Chameleon

2-Copied boot file (I had problem here, it wouldn't let me replace the file saying that I don't have enought permission to do so, so I just removed the file and copied the need one in there)

3-Typed needed commands

4-Copied DSDT.aml

5-Typed needed commands

6-REBOOTED without the CD and got stuck at Apple logo screen

Booting with CD still works...

Anything I am doing wrong here?

WOW! I finally got Mac OS installed! I feel like a king now ..LOL..

But my problem is that I can't boot from HDD, I have to always use the CD...

What i did:

1-Installed Chameleon

2-Copied boot file (I had problem here, it wouldn't let me replace the file saying that I don't have enought permission to do so, so I just removed the file and copied the need one in there)

3-Typed needed commands

4-Copied DSDT.aml

5-Typed needed commands

6-REBOOTED without the CD and got stuck at Apple logo screen

Booting with CD still works...

Anything I am doing wrong here?

OK, kinda figured it out myself by searching. But i think it would be a nice idea to have this info in the tutorial. This is what helped me:

Install Chameleon The Chameleon for Hard Disk you downloaded above has the following files:

• Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg
  • OSX86Tools
  • EFIStudio

1. Open Chameleon.

2. Copy the contents of the Extra directory from the Generic.iso CD by dragging it to the Extra Contents folder in Chameleon.

Hint: To do this, you need to perform the following:

• Open the Generic.iso CD from your desktop.
  • Double-click on the INITRD.IMG file.
  • Double-click on the Extra folder.
  • Drag the Extensions folder to the Extra Contents folder in Chameleon

3. Double-click the Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg file and install to your hard disk.

4. Remove the BootCD and reboot.

5. You should now be able to boot into Leopard without the BootCD.

taken from here:http://menoob.com/hackintosh/hackintosh-install-a-mac-leopard-os-x-retail-dvd-on-a-pc/

Thanks very much for this guide it's well done with all choices and possible scenarios, very easy, thanks

I had Iatkos more than a year already (thanks to Macgirls tread) on one of the partitions. I want to go Vanilla. So I've followed this guide but always get "cannot be installed on this computer" message (after selecting language). Is it because of the existing partitions or the original DVDs which came with real Mac (5 days ago) aren't considered Vanilla?

What's the MD5 summ for the most current Vanilla image ?

Thanks very much for this guide it's well done with all choices and possible scenarios, very easy, thanks

I had Iatkos more than a year already (thanks to Macgirls tread) on one of the partitions. I want to go Vanilla. So I've followed this guide but always get "cannot be installed on this computer" message (after selecting language). Is it because of the existing partitions or the original DVDs which came with real Mac (5 days ago) aren't considered Vanilla?

What's the MD5 summ for the most current Vanilla image ?

Retail DVD is not the one which comes with an original Mac. That can only be installed on the Mac it came with. You need a retail DVD. The MD5 you asked for is 55834d62aac80eec1372d0c190150ce3

And you do need a GUID partition unless you install in on an external drive with GUID first and then install from an image of that to a MBR partition. I am in the process of doing that and will document it once I am done....

Retail DVD is not the one which comes with an original Mac. That can only be installed on the Mac it came with. You need a retail DVD. The MD5 you asked for is 55834d62aac80eec1372d0c190150ce3

And you do need a GUID partition unless you install in on an external drive with GUID first and then install from an image of that to a MBR partition. I am in the process of doing that and will document it once I am done....

Sounds exciting! Does that mean that if you get it to work, we will be able to dual-boot mac os and windows easily? Also, what do you use to backup GUID partition and then restore to MBR? because most of the software doesn't even recognize GUID partitions...

Danik, you could also have just followed the directions in the guide which was download the official Chameleon installer, run it, and then copy the boot file over from netkas's blog. At the moment you do not have Chameleon 1.0.12 installed meaning your DSDT.aml is not getting loaded.

For everyone: I will update the guide for Chameleon 2.0 when it is at a final release status and there is a installer available.

Sounds exciting! Does that mean that if you get it to work, we will be able to dual-boot mac os and windows easily? Also, what do you use to backup GUID partition and then restore to MBR? because most of the software doesn't even recognize GUID partitions...

As I said I haven't finished it as yet.... but the easiest way of doing that is to use a leopard installation disk to restore to a MBR partition from a GUID partition.... or to make an image using the installation disk and then use it to install on a MBR.... Even now I have a multiboot system built to complete vanilla from iatkos v4i....

I've been away from OSX for a while (was trying Win7 and blew up my OSX install) and I am going to re-install it. Quick question I had, does it matter which version my retail OSX DVD is? I bought it back in Dec of 2007, I think its 10.5.0. Didnt know if this would cause any issues and following this guide, or if I should try and find a 10.5.6 image somewhere, or if its possible to slipstream my 10.5.0 to 10.5.6 (or other version in between) to make the install go smoother?

Danik, you could also have just followed the directions in the guide which was download the official Chameleon installer, run it, and then copy the boot file over from netkas's blog. At the moment you do not have Chameleon 1.0.12 installed meaning your DSDT.aml is not getting loaded.

For everyone: I will update the guide for Chameleon 2.0 when it is at a final release status and there is a installer available.

I was trying to intall Chameleon(downloaded Chameleon, opened the dmg and installed it with default options), but for some reason it either did not install or didn't do it properly then. Or should I have chosen something differently?

I know you don't dual boot, but maybe someone else is dual booting in here. So, I wanted to ask what guide they followed and if it was possible to dual boot on a laptop without making a new retail dvd which will have boot cd and the retail dvd in it.

Also, what is it all about the new Chameleon? What advantages or new features does it bring?