[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

**EDIT: I figured it out. Thanks guys, everything works now, except when I tap the trackpad it does nothing instead of clicking, is this supposed to happen?

You should just be able to enable "Tap To Click" in System Preferences.

Does audio via HDMI work ?!

Thanks...

Doubt it. I'm not aware of any reports that it does.

VeryNewAtThis, have you used the nvinject that is linked in the guide? Those work up to 10.5.6.

VeryNewAtThis, have you used the nvinject that is linked in the guide? Those work up to 10.5.6.

I believe I have. There are a few different ones that I found linked. There is one from Urthwhyte and there is one from talisman. The latest one on your page looks to be the one from Urthwyte. Is that the one that should work? I installed them via OSX86Tools, is there a better way to do this? One note, my video card model shows up fine. However, the VRAM shows as 512 and I believe this card only has 256. My screen resolution also looks fine, I just cannot get the affects of Quartz Extreme. I wonder if I installed too many different drivers and need to remove some. What is your best guess?

Thanks a lot

EDIT: It is enabled now. It must have been my boot disk. I used your New ISO and now it is working. Now onto getting my sound working, one thing at a time.

Anyone getting battery life issues with xps m1530?

I have a 9 cell battery, but I can barely manage 2:31 minutes before it shuts down. This is just websurfing, with nothing intensive running. I do have a 1920x1200 non-LED LCD though. Anyone else having battery life issues?

thanks.

You should just be able to enable "Tap To Click" in System Preferences.

I don't have any option in system preferences. From my understanding, there should be an option for trackpads, correct? I have none. I believe this just needs to be enabled.

Anyone getting battery life issues with xps m1530?

I have a 9 cell battery, but I can barely manage 2:31 minutes before it shuts down. This is just websurfing, with nothing intensive running. I do have a 1920x1200 non-LED LCD though. Anyone else having battery life issues?

thanks.

I get about 4 hours on my tin-can with a 9 cell. Use VoodooCPUPowerManagement.kext and keep the display as dimmed as possible.

I'm trying to get the retail 10.5.6 installed on my Inspiron 1720, with no success. :(

I tried (just for kicks) to boot straight off the DVD but it spins up and then just goes into Windows XP. :P

I also tried the Boot-132 loader off my USB flash drive, I put in 80 as the drive (I also tried 81 and 82) but it didn't get anywhere. After looking at it though it appears that is only after OSX is installed.

EDIT: I found a CD-R around my place and burned the newiso from the first post. I followed the instructions but when it gets to the Darwin/x86 boot screen (Where it says push Enter or -v or ?) I typed -v and it wants a hexadecimal boot device.

I tired 80-84 to no success.

My specs:

Dell Inspiron 1720

Core 2 Duo T7300 (2.00GHz)

2GB RAM

160GB SATA HDD

nVidia 8600M GT

Intel Wireless 4965

Broadcom 440x wired Ethernet

Thanks for any help provided!

PopSmith, boot off of my iso until isolinux finishes loading. Eject my CD and insert your retail disk. Try booting off of device number 82 AFTER the disk has spun up. You shouldn't need to boot in -v mode for an initial install. These directions are in the first post of the tutorial.

PopSmith, boot off of my iso until isolinux finishes loading. Eject my CD and insert your retail disk. Try booting off of device number 82 AFTER the disk has spun up. You shouldn't need to boot in -v mode for an initial install. These directions are in the first post of the tutorial.

Thanks for the help wingrunr21. Here is how I have been attempting to get OS X installed:

I put in your isolinux cd and boot it. It loads a couple of things and "INITRD.IMG". Once that is done I eject the DVD and insert the OS X DVD, I am also presented with a Darwin/x86 boot-loader type of thing that says to push "Enter" or -V or ?.

I hit enter and it wants a hexadecimal boot device, I put in 82 and the computer attempts to access the optical drive followed by a flashing of "Using default boot device 82" below the "Put in a hexadecimal to select the boot device" message.

It then goes back to the Darwin/x86 loader screen but that means its going in a circle. -_-

Hi, thanks to your help I have a perfect laptop with XP and Leopard 10.5.6.

I have also installed a 1390 Dell Wireless card and now I have the wireless connection too. Thx again to all.

No restart and no ethernet works but, isnt a new :)

I have only a simple question. Can I update the system??

I recive an update alert for 11 softwares. Can I do it or this can be a problem for me and my Dell?? Thx so much.

I have also installed a 1390 Dell Wireless card and now I have the wireless connection too. Thx again to all.

No restart and no ethernet works but, isnt a new :)

I recive an update alert for 11 softwares. Can I do it or this can be a problem for me and my Dell?? Thx so much.

I have exactly the same specs as your laptop as well. I updated mine with no problems. I was weary at first, but they were bugging me, so I did them, and no problems.

I put in your isolinux cd and boot it. It loads a couple of things and "INITRD.IMG". Once that is done I eject the DVD and insert the OS X DVD, I am also presented with a Darwin/x86 boot-loader type of thing that says to push "Enter" or -V or ?.

I hit enter and it wants a hexadecimal boot device, I put in 82 and the computer attempts to access the optical drive followed by a flashing of "Using default boot device 82" below the "Put in a hexadecimal to select the boot device" message.

It then goes back to the Darwin/x86 loader screen but that means its going in a circle. :)

Have you verified that your OS X DVD is good?

No restart and no ethernet works but, isnt a new ;)

I have exactly the same specs as your laptop as well. I updated mine with no problems. I was weary at first, but they were bugging me, so I did them, and no problems.

It depends on what kind of updates they are. If they are full system updates (ie going from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6), the only way this is safe is if you have installed via a retail OS X disk. Specifications have little to do with it. iDeneb, Kalyway, and others may break when updated via Software Update. Most security updates should apply fine but if you are in doubt it is best to search the forums here for information. I have yet to hear of any iTunes, Quicktime, iLife, etc updates that will break a system.

d-lab, there is a solution now for the M1530's ethernet. There are links in the tutorial for this solution.

It depends on what kind of updates they are. If they are full system updates (ie going from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6), the only way this is safe is if you have installed via a retail OS X disk. Specifications have little to do with it. iDeneb, Kalyway, and others may break when updated via Software Update. Most security updates should apply fine but if you are in doubt it is best to search the forums here for information. I have yet to hear of any iTunes, Quicktime, iLife, etc updates that will break a system.

d-lab, there is a solution now for the M1530's ethernet. There are links in the tutorial for this solution.

Wow bro. Thx so much.

About upgrade.

I recived upgrade message alert for iTunes, QuickTime, and much more (I dont remeber all) .

The most important is the upgrade for Safari.

Du u think isnt a good idea accept the upgrade??

I have 10.5.6.

About ethernet, that is a good new. Thx so much.

I have found it, I have installed it and... its work fine.

I want say thx again for the time that u spend for the community.

Have you verified that your OS X DVD is good?

Since I am not sure how to verify if it's good or not I went ahead and paid the green demon a visit and got a different copy of OS X 10.5.6 (Retail).

I decompressed and extracted the DMG using TransMac and then followed the "Leopard to an SL-DVD" guide as close as I could considering I am on a Windows machine and only have SL DVDs around.

After reducing the file size to ~4.2GB I tried burning the sparse image with TransMAC but it didn't get anywhere. The disk started to burn but then just sat at 0% for 20 minutes so I trashed that DVD-R and created a DMG file.

I burned that using PowerISO and followed the tutorial again with no success. :unsure:

Oh well, I think at least for now I might give up on getting OS X installed because I only have 4 DVD-Rs left. If I can find a way to install it from my iPod (or my 16GB flash drive) I would be willing to give it a shot again though. :P

Oh well, I think at least for now I might give up on getting OS X installed because I only have 4 DVD-Rs left. If I can find a way to install it from my iPod (or my 16GB flash drive) I would be willing to give it a shot again though. :P

You will either have to buy a dual-layer DVD and burn the full disk or find a Mac and use Disk Utility to apply the DMG image to the flash drive. You can then boot off of the flash drive.

I'm stuck on the part of the guide where you update to 10.5.5. The pre/post update files are no longer online! What now?

The last post of that thread pointed here: http://mysticus.titanous.com/forum/viewtop...t=2&start=0

Links have been updated.

I'm still having problems updating. I'm trying to get Chameleon and netkas's boot file set up, but I'm having some problems. In the guide, it says to install Chameleon 1.0.12, but the only version of Chameleon up for download on the link provided is 1.0.11. I installed this and tried to replace the boot file like the guide says, but when this is done it says I don't have sufficient privileges/permissions to do this.

Now what? ;)

Hello,

I was thinking about installing MAC OS on my m1330 but had a few questions to ask first:

1-) How stable does the system behave? Can I have Mac Os to be the only operating system installed or are all the hackintosh' buggy and I need to have Windows installed as well?

2-)How is the battery life in Mac OS

3-)There is already iAtkos 5 out, should I install the 5th version instead of 2nd or 4th? If yes, anything I should do differently in any of the steps?

Why did you PM me the same questions that you posted here?

1) The system is basically as stable as a real Mac.

2) On a 9 cell battery I get about 4 hrs with a T9500 CPU, 7200 RPM HD, and 4 GB of RAM with the display backlight turned all the way up. If you have a less powerful system and/or you tweak the display backlight you may be able to get a bit longer. Can't comment on a 6 cell battery.

3) I am recommending a retail install on these machines at this point. The modified distributions are not necessary for M1330s and M1530s and only cause headaches when update time comes.

Thank you for your reply, damn, i wish you had this in your GUIDE, but anyways, I am proceding with iAtkos i5 right now. Just completed the installation part. And then it stopped booting...

Here is what i did:

switched the laptop to ATA mode in BIOS and installed iAtkos 5i with default options. Anyways, I already formated the drive back to fat32 (I am doing dual boot with OS selector)

Now I wanted to try using original mac os installation dvd which my i took from my friend who has a new unibody macbook. My my laptop wouldn't even boot from it :) Should I use some kind of different orginal DVD? If yes, is this what is basically shoud do: -install the mac os with all default options, and then update the system, and then install m1330's kext drivers?

Or is there anything special that I should do...Thank you in advance...

P.S. yes, i did P.M you with my previous questions before..

P.S. just read this thread: New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs, Use Mac OS X Retail DVD on hackintoshes! This is real, and free

but still got questions: So i basically, should boot from boot cd from that thread, then remove it and put Mac Os Retail DVD, but which format of Dvd should I use, should it be in iso or mac format? Should I be installing Mac Os in ATA or AHCI?

Save the attitude. It degrades your chances of me or anyone else helping you. Also don't PM me the exact same thing you post in the thread. That's just annoying. If you have a specific question that you feel cannot/will not be answered in the public thread then by all means PM me. Otherwise post it here and someone will likely post some helpful answers.

In the getting started section there is a paragraph where I specifically say I recommend retail installs for these machines.

In no place does it say anything is unstable. If something was unstable I would say they are unstable.

I'm not sure why battery life matters. If someone can tell me about what they get with a 6 cell battery then I'll put it in the guide.

I'm going to answer your questions with one statement: read the guide. It is obvious you have not read it.

Save the attitude. It degrades your chances of me or anyone else helping you. Also don't PM me the exact same thing you post in the thread. That's just annoying. If you have a specific question that you feel cannot/will not be answered in the public thread then by all means PM me. Otherwise post it here and someone will likely post some helpful answers.

In the getting started section there is a paragraph where I specifically say I recommend retail installs for these machines.

In no place does it say anything is unstable. If something was unstable I would say they are unstable.

I'm not sure why battery life matters. If someone can tell me about what they get with a 6 cell battery then I'll put it in the guide.

I'm going to answer your questions with one statement: read the guide. It is obvious you have not read it.

Dude I didn't mean to offend you or anything...I was just a little bit disappointed that I had to start everything from scratch again. I must have missed the paragraph where you specifically say that you recommend retail installs for these machines. But that was the only thing I was referring to. I didn't mean to say that you said that the system was unstably or the battery life was not good. You probably got me wrong, my statement was concerning only the first question. I just saw this: "For the purpose of this tutorial we will be using iAtkos." and then skipped all the way down to installation when I was reading the post.

P.S. just in case you are still willing to help, I updated my questions in the previous post. By the way, I was looking into installing MAC OS on my previous laptop last year, and started reading this forum, I actually installed mac os but there was a problem with a video driver at a time. So I gave up. Now I am trying it again with my new laptop....

Few things don't work on M1330's right now. Ethernet and Mirror Display would be the two big ones. If you have Intel wifi then that won't work either. It's all outlined in the guide.

I remember reading that. I already bought myseft Dell 1395 wifi card and installed it(for some reason having both intel and dell cards didn't work for me when wiring the antennas), so hopefully the card will work out of the box after I install MAC os. And concerning the dual monitor setup, I use an external monitor with my laptop, but I don't use it in mirror mode, I just use either monitor or laptop LCD one at a time. So I think I should be fine with that. For me the big thing would be the ethernet, but thank God that I will have wifi card working.

Should I be installing Mac Os in ATA or AHCI? And how is the Retail DVD installation is different form iAtkos? I mean except the software update part, should I being doing something differently when using Retail DVD? And should my Retail dvd be in iso or mac format?

Ok, I finally burned the Retail DVD to disk. Here what i did:

1- inserted boot cd, entered 82

2-inserted Leo Retail DVD and booted with -v

After that my laptop freezes at Leo wallpaper screen.

Anyone know how to fix it?

I was trying installing having my hard drive in AHCI and ATA mode, same result for both modes.