[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Updated Chrysaor. Thanks Brandon. Am I correct in assuming that NVinject.kext is not needed?

talisman I finally added your stuff to the tutorial.

Was waiting for talisman's tutorial for couple of weeks already. Good to know that is now out there. So, basically, the tutorial shows how to install mac os to an external GUID partitioned hard drive, and then let's to restore it to an MBR partition. So, I have:

1-Mac OS - MBR Mac OS Extended Journaled (Mac os not yet installed)

2-Vista-NTFS

3-Data-NTFS

So, if I follow the guide, then I will be able to restore MacOS image from external hard drive with GUID partition to the first partition of my internal hard drive (MBR MacOS Extended Journaled), and then be able to dual-boot Mac Os and Xp/or Vista using one phisical hard drive, is that all right?

Ok, I went ahead, and installed retail mac os to an external hard drive. Everything went smooth. Then I installed chameleon to the external hard drive, copied boot file to root(issued needed commands), then copied DSDT.aml to root(issued needed commands), then installed nvinject kext (did repair permissions), did software update (did repair permissions).

Hopefully I did everything right. But now, I can boot to external hard drive only if I insert boot CD in the drive, and boot from it selecting 81 as a boot device. If I just try booting directly from the external hard drive, I get stuck at loading grey apple screen. Is that normal or is it something I am doing wrong?

Not being able to wait for a response, I installed all other kexts needed (SMBIOS, Audio, Voodoo, etc)

I installed all of them without restarting the laptop, then, after all of them got installed i did repair permissions, and rebooted. After that my laptop no longer is able to boot in Mac Os. After the screen with apple logo I get a black screen which just hangs there forever. Is it because I should've installed each kext separately one by one and repaired permissions and booted after installation of each one?

Or is it because of smth else?

What should I do now? Anything simpler than re-installing the whole thing?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Danik there is an "Edit" button on each post window. You can consolidate consecutive posts.

What does booting with -v tell you? And unless you are 100% sure it is going to work you should never install kext/drivers/kernel modules all at once because then you are unsure what breaks your system.

Danik there is an "Edit" button on each post window. You can consolidate consecutive posts.

What does booting with -v tell you? And unless you are 100% sure it is going to work you should never install kext/drivers/kernel modules all at once because then you are unsure what breaks your system.

My posts were a little bit unrelated to each other, that is why I thought I would post each one separately. But will try to keep it all in one post in the future.

When booting with -v command, here is what I get:

dsc04417n.th.jpg

after this screen, my screen turns black and stays like that forever.

So should I be reintalling the OS again?

Yeah you are correct.

No nvinject, natit, or anything just the DSDT.

I am currently working on getting sound working through the DSDT as well. I will post it if I ever get it done I am really busy with school right now

Oh, and by the way it would be nice if you credited me on the DSDT as well because the other guy didn't do it all by himself, it took a lot of time and effort

And if you upload your DSDT and ioreg dump and your graphics card information I am sure I can get the 1330's working as well

Danik boot in single-user mode and delete all the kexts you just installed. Then install the kexts one by one until you figure out what doesn't work.

I posted this in the Dell Compilation thread and will echo it here.

This site is in the process of dying. Since I am a bit of a pessimist I do not believe the site will quite recover I beginning the process of moving my tutorial off InsanelyMac and over to my own web hosting. I plan on re-writing the entire tutorial to focus on retail installs ONLY (these various distros are a pain in the a** and are not necessary on 1330s/1530s) and will focus the tutorial on the supporting up to 10.5.7. When this move occurs I will post back here. In the mean time I will continue to keep this tutorial updated.

Danik boot in single-user mode and delete all the kexts you just installed. Then install the kexts one by one until you figure out what doesn't work.

I posted this in the Dell Compilation thread and will echo it here.

This site is in the process of dying. Since I am a bit of a pessimist I do not believe the site will quite recover I beginning the process of moving my tutorial off InsanelyMac and over to my own web hosting. I plan on re-writing the entire tutorial to focus on retail installs ONLY (these various distros are a pain in the a** and are not necessary on 1330s/1530s) and will focus the tutorial on the supporting up to 10.5.7. When this move occurs I will post back here. In the mean time I will continue to keep this tutorial updated.

Wingrun21, thank you very much, I booted in safe mode using -x and it perfectly worked! (-s didn't work)

I removed the kexts and found that the voodoopower kext is the problem causing one. Do i need it? or can I have the system running without it?

FIXED(Check you Sound pane in System Preferences to see if the default output and input are set correctly.):Also, now everything is working except for the audio. I installed HDAenabler kext with no problem, however when I try installing AppleHDA kext using OSx86 tools, it creates a folder called OSx86kextBackup in root and puts the AppleHDA in that folder. Should I trying installing it manually or what?

Sure, sorry about the credit.

My DSDT is the just the one I have linked in the tutorial. IOReg dump is attached. GPU is GeForce 8400M GS 128 MB.

Here you are, this should work if it doesn't let me know. Make sure to delete all injectors and EFI Strings. If it doesn't work post a new ioreg using this DSDT it will help locate errors.

dsdt.aml.zip

Wingrun21, thank you very much, I booted in safe mode using -x and it perfectly worked! (-s didn't work)

I removed the kexts and found that the voodoopower kext is the problem causing one. Do i need it? or can I have the system running without it?

FIXED(Check you Sound pane in System Preferences to see if the default output and input are set correctly.):Also, now everything is working except for the audio. I installed HDAenabler kext with no problem, however when I try installing AppleHDA kext using OSx86 tools, it creates a folder called OSx86kextBackup in root and puts the AppleHDA in that folder. Should I trying installing it manually or what?

The backup folder creation is the correct behavior. The kext was still installed. VoodooPower is your speedstep kext. You can try IntelEnhancedSpeedstep if VoodooPower isn't working for you. You need to go to Superhai's forums and post information if you want VoodooPower to work.

Brandon2004, that's great. However, it does not allow for VGA output. Can you link me to the information on how you did this?

Edit: Actually the DSDT.aml did not allow my machine to boot again after the initial boot.

I took the info from around read around and did it myself there was really no precedence most people say that laptop graphics don't work through the DSDT, I could be wrong, but I searched and searched and searched and that is what led to me doing it myself

edit: Here I matched up your NVCAP values from your ioreg, I forgot sorry, VGA should work now, and it should boot consistantly.

dsdt.aml.zip

Hey, I was trying to install VoodooUSBEHCI which required modifying Info.plist in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

Since then my system is ubootable again, but I can still boot with -v -x. What happened is that all the kexts are now in form of folders, so when I double click to a kext, I get inside the kext with finder, and that is why I now cannot use OSx86tools to install kexts because it sees kexts as if they were regular folders. Is there anything I can do to make the kexts installable again?

P.S. with normal boot system freezes apple logo screen with "no smoking" sign.

Hey, I was trying to install VoodooUSBEHCI which required modifying Info.plist in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

Since then my system is ubootable again, but I can still boot with -v -x. What happened is that all the kexts are now in form of folders, so when I double click to a kext, I get inside the kext with finder, and that is why I now cannot use OSx86tools to install kexts because it sees kexts as if they were regular folders. Is there anything I can do to make the kexts installable again?

P.S. with normal boot system freezes apple logo screen with "no smoking" sign.

Why are you tring to install VoodooUSBEHCI? Here are the only the things you should need, the DSDT two posts above this, and these kexts I am attaching are you using the efi partition if not google "chameleon osx" and it will be the first entry and the download the chameleon 2.0 installer on the right side and when you install go to customize and check the EFI partition install and deselect everything else. Then mount your efi partition google "munky efi" if you don't know who it will explain everything. When you get your EFI Partition mounted go to the extra folder then the extensions folder and put all the kexts there, the go back to the extra folder and put the DSDT.aml there and also put it in the root of the EFI partition cause I am not sure which one it loads so I just keep it both places. Then put the update.sh folder in the root of the efi as well the "chmod +x" it and the run it with "./update.sh" and your install should be perfect with everything working except shutdown and restart

Kexts.zip

Brandon VoodooUSBEHCI is required to get sleep working.

Danik how did you get all of your kexts to be seen as folders? What did you do exactly?

Thank You for that I was wondering why the battery was draining with the lid closed.

I will have to look into the usb thing when I get out of class, that makes no since I literal only change 1 number in the hex for the NVCAP to match your ioreg, weird

Brandon VoodooUSBEHCI is required to get sleep working.

Danik how did you get all of your kexts to be seen as folders? What did you do exactly?

Brandon that last DSDT you posted completely breaks USB on my system.

Honestly, I really am not sure how I did that :( I think I just double clicked on it, and then did something like open as script or something like that, and then i let me go inside that kext as if it were a folder(I got system working by deleting all the kexts related to PS2 using single-user mode, I read about this at voodoo support forum)

wingrunr21, i am now confused about what I should do :)

I was following your GUIDE, and then now brandon 2004 shows how to do it using EFI partition and Chameleon 2.0, which really seems to be the way to go.

I am really teared here between what I should do.

So that you guys know, I am doing all of that to get dual booting working. So, I basically want to have a perfectly working Mac OS on my external hard drive using GUID partition. And when I am done on tweaking it, I want to restore the whole thing to my internal MBR drive as written in the Talisman's part of the guide.

I am not sure, but if i think that for this purpose I am better to follow your guide, wingrun21, since I am guessing restoring Mac OS to MBR partition won't copy the EFI boot partition, and that is why messing with EFI boot partition would be a waste of time for my purposes or am I getting this wrong?

I have always found putting your kexts in the EFI partition to be more trouble than it is worth. All of our kexts now are not named the same as any of Apple's stock kexts meaning they will not get overwritten during an upgrade. I simply put all relevant kexts in /System/Library/Extensions and let them autoload on boot. This is just as "real" as a real Mac since third-party kexts are installed to the same directory on actual Macs.

The Chameleon 2.0 install is very easy and they have a readme in the download that tells you exactly what commands to run. Just do those steps in place of the PC EFI v9 instructions in my tutorial.

As for the kexts, the only reason OS X would not recognize it as a kext would be if you have removed the .kext extension. If you need to view the inside of a kext you right click and do a "Show Package Contents".