[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Have you booted in -x mode with a USB keyboard/mouse and reapplied the Combo Update? How did you initially install OS X? iAtkos?

I didn't have an extra keyboard and mouse to plug in when I was in safe mode. I installed Kaly 10.5.2 and then used the Kaly combo update followed by the Mysticus C tutorial to update to 10.5.5

If I plug in a usb mouse and keyboard do I just run the official apple update 10.5.5 or do I need to do the pre update and post update patches again?

Now I'm using my xpsm1530 and it has iatkos 5i on it. I'm going to try and update it to 10.5.6 with your guide and I will see what happens. So far on iAtkos 5i I have working graphics ( as far as I can tell the resolution is bigger than before), and working Wifi signal. There is also a sound icon but no sound comes from the laptop speakers.

Also, I installed Chamillion and then replaced the boot file with pci 9 and that worked but when I try to move them DSDT.aml file to the root of my hard drive, it says "cannot be replaced because it is invisible?" This is I mean on iatkos 10.5.5

Great guide! I notice it was just updated 2/10 with references to SuperHai's voodoo kexts.

Three questions:

1)Is is possible to remove the outdated material? I think noobs might have trouble knowing where the outdated stuff stops.

2) I have my 1530 working great using a combination of someone else's boot cd (that unfortunately jams NVkush and some other unnecessary kexts in place) with a retail 1.5.4 install, followed by 1.5.5 combol with pre/post install packages found here on the forum. I am using Macgirl's NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip kext. I want to move to a vanilla 10.5.4 and 10.5.6 update install using the instructions and bootcd from this post. I am wondering if macgirl's kext will work just as well as the references to Talisman's post and NVinstaller etc. I suspect the answer is yes but don't want to find out the hard way.

3) I notice there is no reference to SuperHai's SMBIOSresolver kext in this guide, is it unnecessary?

thanks,

1)Is is possible to remove the outdated material? I think noobs might have trouble knowing where the outdated stuff stops.

2) I have my 1530 working great using a combination of someone else's boot cd (that unfortunately jams NVkush and some other unnecessary kexts in place) with a retail 1.5.4 install, followed by 1.5.5 combol with pre/post install packages found here on the forum. I am using Macgirl's NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip kext. I want to move to a vanilla 10.5.4 and 10.5.6 update install using the instructions and bootcd from this post. I am wondering if macgirl's kext will work just as well as the references to Talisman's post and NVinstaller etc. I suspect the answer is yes but don't want to find out the hard way.

3) I notice there is no reference to SuperHai's SMBIOSresolver kext in this guide, is it unnecessary?

1. I will trim some of the fat but I have to leave others (like the graphics section). Some people are, for some reason, still downloading 10.5.2 distributions and installing with those. The old directions are required to get those distributions working sometimes. I will make it clearer where the outdated material stops.

2. No, macgirl has an M1330. That kext will not work on your M1530. You need to use the one I linked to that talisman modified. You should only need that kext and the vanilla nvidia drivers and you'll have working video.

3. Superhai has been changing his kexts all around. SMBIOSResolver is no longer on his website. I asked him to update me on the status of this kext but he hasn't responded as of yet. If he does not by the end of the weekend then I will zip and upload SMBIOSResolver and add the appropriate section back in.

It didn't really work for me by installing a earlier distro. I had to install iatkos 5i and then follow from this guide. I'm in the process of installing 10.5.6 update now after replacing boot and dsdt.aml file. I hope it will work. Was there any kexts I should have backed up to replace after the update?

wingunr, is there any possibility you could update the thread to reflect the addition of display mirroring on the M1530? The kext has working VGA/HDMI out as well as Display Mirroring (albeit performance is roughly cut in half when mirroring is activated) which is a killer feature if you need to give a presentation.

I have updated the m1530 to 10.5.6 but the sleep and shutdown/restart do not work. I have to manually press power button each time. Superhai's site which you have posted here does not have the sleepenable kext anymore only voodoopower.kext and usb kext, there is also no clamshell kext anymore either.

wingunr, is there any possibility you could update the thread to reflect the addition of display mirroring on the M1530? The kext has working VGA/HDMI out as well as Display Mirroring (albeit performance is roughly cut in half when mirroring is activated) which is a killer feature if you need to give a presentation.

Done. Thanks for your input.

I have updated the m1530 to 10.5.6 but the sleep and shutdown/restart do not work. I have to manually press power button each time. Superhai's site which you have posted here does not have the sleepenable kext anymore only voodoopower.kext and usb kext, there is also no clamshell kext anymore either.

First, I quite plainly say in the guide that shutdown/restart don't work and there's no known solution. Secondly, just three posts up I said that Superhai has been messing around with his kexts and I am waiting on his answer to me as to what is going on with that. If he has not responded by the end of the weekend then I will upload them to the site.

Thanks wingrun so far I was able to get my xpsm1530 updated to 10.5.6. I also downloaded ideneb 10.5.6 and I will install that tomorrow and see how that is. I appreciate all the help on this board and if there is anything I could do to help in terms of organization of the topics or material I would more than gladly be able to :laser:

Has anyone got an m1330 with the Intel x3100 (GMA965) video card? I'm trying to find a boot disc image which will support the keyboard and mouse and load the installer GUI without turning the screen black.

I found a boot image which worked, but the keyboard and mouse don't work. I lost this image when I re-wrote the disc with a new boot image which was meant to allow me to use video and the laptop's keyboard and mouse.

Cheers.

I've been using your guide yesterday and today and it's been extremely helpful, accept my thanks. I am having a problem however getting my m1530 to boot on it's own without the boot CD. I've installed Chameleon and replaced the boot file as well as Chameleon without replacing the file and neither seems to fare any better than this screenshot. Any ideas?

stp63313xg7.th.jpg

I've been using your guide yesterday and today and it's been extremely helpful, accept my thanks. I am having a problem however getting my m1530 to boot on it's own without the boot CD. I've installed Chameleon and replaced the boot file as well as Chameleon without replacing the file and neither seems to fare any better than this screenshot. Any ideas?

stp63313xg7.th.jpg

Remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or use disabler.

Could someone with a m1330 and Intel x3100 possibly upload their boot CD iso?

The file attached in the first post doesn't work for me as the screen turns black just after the GUI begins to launch. I found an image called generic.iso which will at least let me get to the language select screen, though the on-board mouse and keyboard do not work. I haven't got an external keyboard so I'm stuck.

I tried adding AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext from 'newiso.iso' to 'generic.iso', and though the keyboard and mouse work again, the screen turns black just after the blue screen before language selection.

I'm not sure why I'm unable to have both the keyboard and video working at once.

Unfortunately I don't see any kexts on the Boot CD. Also the system is locking up any time I try to mount an image, ie firefox 3 or adium image.

I installed using a retail 10.5 install disc if that helps.

Ok, I started over from scratch and I found the kexts inside the image on the boot cd. Thanks for the tip. Boots up just fine now.

I have a dell xps m1330 and vga out is not working. I have added the nvinject kext from Macgirl. Not knowing much about efi strings, is this something I may have and if so should i delete them? I remember adding a string to try and get timemachine to work. How do I delete them?

Thanks

Hi,

I have installed the iPC 10.5.6 relase.

After the installation I dont find a good way to use my video card.

I have the Dell Post Installer pkg, the NVinstaller v.52 pkg and other.

What I need to use and what I need to flag.

Where I can find all the kext I need. Thx so much.

Hi

I installed OS X 10.5.4 from a retail DVD using a boot123 CD. For booting without the CD I followed this guide. It took quite a while to get sound working but now i got it (I had to delete some kexts from EFI partition). Thanks for all those great guides!!!

As far as I know the kernel is vanilla 9.4.0

Now I wait for superhai's downloads to be online again (hope to get sleep working) and I search for some good graphics drivers:

at the moment profiler shows for my nVidia 8400m gs:

QuartzGL: supported (thanks to OSX86Tools)

Quartz Extreme: not supported

Core Image: Software

HDMI is fully working including dual view

Is there a way to get Core Image and Quartz Extreme working? Can I somehow improve the graphics performance? I want the best driver :) At the moment I can't even watch a video or DVD.

edit: don't know why but now it is really bad! can hardly move any windows.

edit2: I installed insanelymac NVIDIA INSTALLER V3.0 Beta Version BY PUNK92 (choosing NVinject 0.2.1 128 Mb) and now Quartz Extreme and Core Image is supported. In Profiler it says "I Can Has Model?" and 512 MB VRAM but I am fine with that as long as it works. DVD is no problem anymore. I am going to test the performance now... :)

It appears to be site-wide. Uploading to posts isn't working properly either.

For the BluRay burning question: I think Roxio Toast supports BluRay burning in OS X. Since Apple has decided BluRay isn't worth supporting yet I'm not sure many BluRay options exists. Playback is probably going to be the same as playback in Linux: only via ripping the BluRay to the hard disk first.

As for Superhai. He has discontinued ClamshellDisplay.kext in favor of a DSDT approach. Subsequently I will upload the appropriate kexts once Insanelymac fixes whatever problems they are having.

It appears to be site-wide. Uploading to posts isn't working properly either.

I was installing iPC 10.5.6 and had almost everything working last night using the drivers from this post. Then, some kext update for sleep in Dell Laptop Post Installer blew everything away..... I reinstalled the 10.5.6, now I can't get any drivers.... :(

Thanks for the helps in the post.