[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Just to clearify again: You need Chameleon or PC_EFI to get rid of the boot cd. So it finally doesn't matter if you install it before or after copying your install to your internal drive.

@ others: The last DSDT.aml linked in your guide for 1530 works fine here. At the moment I'm trying to get a 19" TFT connected via VGA to work, but I just don't succeed. Whenever I tell OSX to look for new monitors, the laptop screen just goes black and I have to reboot. Same thing when I try to boot with the monitor connected. I don't have a HDMI adapter, so I have to use VGA by now. How did you guys get that to work properly?

I have always found putting your kexts in the EFI partition to be more trouble than it is worth. All of our kexts now are not named the same as any of Apple's stock kexts meaning they will not get overwritten during an upgrade. I simply put all relevant kexts in /System/Library/Extensions and let them autoload on boot. This is just as "real" as a real Mac since third-party kexts are installed to the same directory on actual Macs.

The Chameleon 2.0 install is very easy and they have a readme in the download that tells you exactly what commands to run. Just do those steps in place of the PC EFI v9 instructions in my tutorial.

As for the kexts, the only reason OS X would not recognize it as a kext would be if you have removed the .kext extension. If you need to view the inside of a kext you right click and do a "Show Package Contents".

Thank for such a quick reply.

Could you please also address my question in the last paragraph of my previous post.

I went ahead and installed Chameleon 2.0 RC1, but I didn't find any instructions in the downloaded package or the installer itself. Do I need to replace boot file attached on your first post like we did with Chameleon 1?

EDIT: My kext extentions are still there here is the screenshot:

dsc04422.th.jpg

Just for the fun of it, I changed VooDooPower.kext to VooDooPower.mp3 and it still shows it as a folder ;)

OK, I now see that there are some kexts that are shown the right way. So for some reason some kexts are shown like folders and some are shown normally.

wingrunr21:

A job well done on this guide. I've thought long and hard about what I should get to replace my 17" 1.33 GHz PPC G4 PowerBook, and this guide solidified my decision to buy a XPS 1530 to install my retail Leopard license on. So major props going out to you. And big ups to Brandon2004 and Chrysaor for your work on the DSDT.aml file for some "kext-less" functionality of certain features (if I'm understanding that right).

These questions are for you, Brandon2004, and Chrysaor:

* Does Time Machine work on the 1530 with 10.5.6?

* Do all the web cam apps work (Photo Booth, iChat, Skype, etc.)?

* Have you experienced any overheating issues?

I'm confident TM should work if it will detect the Ethernet (should having the aforementioned Marvell Yukon chipset mentioned in your guide). The web cam isn't that big a deal, and the overheating is a major concern. I put Leopard on a Lenovo 3000 Y410 notebook, and some of these questions stem from my experience with that. That and the "Hack Pro" I built based on the Tyan Tempest S5396 (http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=562) which has both Ethernet ports available for use, but TM quit working after I updated to 10.5.6.

Thanks for your feedback. When the XPS 1530 comes in, I'll keep you posted on my progress. Since I've built 2 (3 if count the failed attempt at a Dell Latitude D820), I probably won't be bothering anyone with needless posts.

And if you are moving this guide, keep us posted on where the new home is.

Thanks for everything!

Im not Brandon or Chrysaor, but to answer your questions:

1. Yep, needs HFS+ as Backup Volume

2. Yep

3. This is more difficult to tell. Generally, I'd say that the 1530 is not very well designed concerning notebook cooling. From my experience, there are no real overheating issues as long as you use speedstep like vodoopower. If you want to optimize it, you could also set p-states and voltages in vodoopower manually, which should allow you to reach similar even lower temperatures. One thing I recognized today is that maybe graphics card downclocking isn't working as good as in windows. I had some driver issues so it was not at maximum performence and was a bit cooler, now it's a bit hotte but ok. I have around 46° running Pages, Safari and Adium (with fan running). As I said I'm not quite sure about this so don't be bothered.

If you want it really cool you could get one of those NB cooling pads (e.g. Zalman NC1000). They allow a decrase of up to 10°.

Edit: Forgot to say: I undervolt my CPU running Vista, so I'm maybe a bit unfair to stock vodoopower :) I think Vista/OSX stock temps are the same and you have the possibility to optimise both.

itdoesnotwork is right everything is working and heat is not a real issue, it gets a little warm at time, but so does my macbook pro, I am working on some stuff in the DSDT like usb sleep, don't know if its possible but I like to eliminate as many kexts as possible, I mean come on the m1530 is a clone of the early 2008 macbook pro we should only need decrypter or dsmos, so I am working on that if anyone cares.

Well, I got the sleep issue out of the way....

next sound....

[edit]

someone was asking about vga out, my bad the nvcap was wrong and I never use it so I didn't know, well here it is tested on vga and hdmi, all you have to do is connect vga cable and go to settings and detect displays, as well as it fixes sleep with out VoodooECHI or whatever its called.

dsdt.aml.zip

At boot up I get a message saying something like:

starting hibernate
encryptedStart isnt zero - 8314e0, we dont support encrypted images yet
hibernate failed.

Then it boots up OS X. Is there a way to solve this? I already tried to go to Security Tab and deactivate "Use Secure Virtual Memory" but that does not work for me.

Btw: this is not coming out of hibernation. This happens everytime I boot up from scratch

You have to make sure you have ForceWake=y in you com.apple.boot.plist and you need to have chameleon 2. At least thats what I have and it works I will look into it some more when I have time I am really busy with school.

No. The boot option is -nowake in order to skip the hibernation resume. Running this once should kill the hibernation image. Hibernate is hit or miss with our machines.

next sound....

[edit]

someone was asking about vga out, my bad the nvcap was wrong and I never use it so I didn't know, well here it is tested on vga and hdmi, all you have to do is connect vga cable and go to settings and detect displays, as well as it fixes sleep with out VoodooECHI or whatever its called.

Thanks for DSDT :unsure: Works pretty well here.

But does it fix the shutdown/restart problem of the NVinject for you?

I was the one who aked for VGA. Thanks Brandon2004, it's now working flawlessly. I really appreciate your affords! Running the notebook with less kexts is really comfortable, so it would be really cool if you could implement things like sound or sleep. Keep going! :hysterical:

Sleep now works if you used the new DSDT I posted with the VGA fix all you have to do is if you have chameleon 2.0 add ForceWake=y to the com.apple.boot.plist and everything should be good. I know wingrunr say to use nowake=y and if that works for you great. But my hibernate works with the new DSDT i posted and forcewake in the boot.plist

next sound....

[edit]

Doesn't work here, system resets when going to sleep without voodooehci. Where did you get the values for AAPL,current-*? edit: just saw they are same as MB3,1.

Hibernation doesn't work either, system doesn't shutdown, only goes to sleep.

At boot up I get a message saying something like:

starting hibernate
encryptedStart isnt zero - 8314e0, we dont support encrypted images yet
hibernate failed.

Then it boots up OS X. Is there a way to solve this? I already tried to go to Security Tab and deactivate "Use Secure Virtual Memory" but that does not work for me.

Btw: this is not coming out of hibernation. This happens everytime I boot up from scratch

No. The boot option is -nowake in order to skip the hibernation resume. Running this once should kill the hibernation image. Hibernate is hit or miss with our machines.

First time it works, after a reboot I get the same error. I wonder why this happens :S

Hmm ok, I can try that but I do not know where in the com.apple.Boot.plist I should put "ForceWake=y".

Right now it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string></string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Besides this is there a way to skip the 5 second delay and make an instant boot (I use the MediaDirect key for OS X) instead of me needing to press enter twice?

On a sidenote: I appreciate the quick responses you guys give, thumbs up :thumbsup_anim:

Doesn't work here, system resets when going to sleep without voodooehci. Where did you get the values for AAPL,current-*? edit: just saw they are same as MB3,1.

Hibernation doesn't work either, system doesn't shutdown, only goes to sleep.

Yea the AAPL values I actually got straight from my macbook pro it the new one, I used to have the old one that matched m1530 hardware exactly, that's why I had my friend buy it, it is actually his laptop I have only had it for about a week or so, so I am just learning I am starting to experience troubles with hibernate and sleep again, I got rid of some by changing the SMBIOS to use the smbios.plist for chameleon 2.0, I had read somewhere that bluetooth was messing with sleep and I seen a lot of bluetooth related errors in the crash reporter. I really do think I can get sound working though haven't tried yet but I have got it working on my desktop through DSDT. Any help would be appreciated if you got any ideas on the sleep I will take them, don't know if you noticed but I added the macbook pro SSDT to the DSDT to hoping to help with some problems, but the two are nearly identical so that was a waste of time. I would love to figure out this shutdown thing there has to be away around it, I would like to flash the graphics card with the macbook pro 8600m bios but like I said my one with that is back with Apple, so if anyone could get their hands on that it would be great, I think you need Windows though or at least DOS to dump the graphics firmware, but anyway enough rambling...

Hmm ok, I can try that but I do not know where in the com.apple.Boot.plist I should put "ForceWake=y".

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string></string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Besides this is there a way to skip the 5 second delay and make an instant boot (I use the MediaDirect key for OS X) instead of me needing to press enter twice?

On a sidenote: I appreciate the quick responses you guys give, thumbs up :rolleyes:

You would put it under kernel flags but don't worry about it there are still some issues to be worked out. However to boot the way you want to I am pretty sure you just need to add

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

right under kernel flags.

I connected my laptop to an external monitor today, just to see if everything is working right. I am using nvinject from the first post. Everything works fine, except the mirror displays. When I turn mirror displays on, the laptop screen just shows a light blue screen, and the monitor is working fine. Is this a known issue?

To whoever is already using Brandon's DSDT, can you see if the mirror displays works with that?

<plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
  <key>Kernel</key>
  <key>Kernel Flags</key>
  <string></string>
  <key>Timeout</key>
  <string>5</string>
 </dict>
 </plist>

On a sidenote: I appreciate the quick responses you guys give, thumbs up :blink:

I think I saw an option of adding Forceaware=y during the chameleon 2.0 install. So, is it okay to reinstall chameleon enabling that option?

@ Danik_iceman

You have the m1330 mine is only for the m1530, you could try the one I made for wingrunr it is for m1330 he said his usb ports stopped working but I am gonna look at it again in a few and try to fix it. But mirror display will work with it.

[edit]

here is that DSDT for the m1330 tried a little something to help out usb, hope it works, and change AZAL to HDEF so you shouldn't need HDAEnabler any more, still need legacy kexts though. Someone please let me know if it works, wingrunr, or danik_iceman.

dsdt.aml.zip