Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

Ok, I must be missing something, Here's the steps I go through;

-boot VM with vmdonk.iso

-switch to OSX1051_DVD1.iso

-set no options

-select 9f for boot device, select english at language screen

>recieve "Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer" prompt with "Ok" or "Restart" options, Can't do anything at this point until I click "Ok"

-open disk utility, select partition, options, set GUID partition table, set 1 partition, name partition, apply

-exit disk utility, no option to install

-reboot to vmdonk.iso

-switch to OSX1051_DVD1.iso

-set no options

-select 9f for boot device, select english

>recieve "Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer" - "OK" or "Restart"

I never see any option to install so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Got you. Strange! One obvious question have you got a retail Leopard DVD? Can't use any of the recovery DVDs that come with Macs.

• 2 weeks later...
Audio does work using this driver http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597. Stutters a bit but better than nothing.

It did recognize the VMware ES1371 device but any time any sound was played the VM would freeze hard (no mouse movement) for the duration that the sound was playing. This may be due to the baroque nature of VMware's interaction with a Linux host's sound subsystem.

I found this technique to be much better, only light background popping noises when playing a song in iTunes. It really is a dream set up if you have a Linux host, because PulseAudio natively implements the EsounD wire protocol.

Well it is my second time through and it was kind of odd actually. I used the same ISO files and vmware version but it just would not install for some reason. I was getting the boot and then the OS would stack fail and I would have to power down the VM.

I tried to go over everything as before. What I finally had to do was uncompress the DMG image again, re-run Ultra-ISO and have it recreate the ISO file again.

Once I did that it booted like a champ just like before and I was able to partition my VM Drive and start installation.

Now what I find interesting is that this original ISO install file was only copied to a NAS server and back to my new laptop HD. I had just done a fresh reinstall of XP on a new X61 laptop.

However, nothing I did would make it boot until I re-created the ISO file from the DMG file.

Anyone else see anything like this before? I guess it could have gotten corrupted on the copy but I have hundreds of ISO files that I use all day that are copied to/from the NAS with no issues.

It did recognize the VMware ES1371 device but any time any sound was played the VM would freeze hard (no mouse movement) for the duration that the sound was playing. This may be due to the baroque nature of VMware's interaction with a Linux host's sound subsystem.

I found this technique to be much better, only light background popping noises when playing a song in iTunes. It really is a dream set up if you have a Linux host, because PulseAudio natively implements the EsounD wire protocol.

Interesting read. I am currently running on Windows but do also have a Linux box, which I may try this on. Have you also seen this http://communities.vmware.com/thread/163605? I was wondering whether it helped to fix the problem without having to run the ESD system in the guest.

Hello, I've been trying furiously to find a way to install MacOSX on VMWare on my Linux machine (Ubuntu).

I downloaded the template provided in this thread and it launches however when I try to change the settings for the ISO mounted, VMware crashes. I'm using 6.5 workstation (current build is 118166). It just won't open the settings window. I've used VMware for PCWizs 10.5.2 image and that loads fine along with the settings window. Also to note... I have a Intel Dual Core w/o VT... so it complains about 64-bit guest OS's, but I know it should work again since I can run PCWiz 10.5.2 image with the same error no problem.

What is up with this VMware template? Is it because it was made with a beta version? Can someone provide an update template? Or is there another way I can manually update the vmx file to change the ISO settings to load the retail DVD?

Please help... I've been spinning my wheels for a couple weeks on finding a solid way to install a vanilla kernel to update to 10.5.5 on VMware with hardly any luck. This method seems promising but I'm hitting some problems

Hello, I've been trying furiously to find a way to install MacOSX on VMWare on my Linux machine (Ubuntu).

I downloaded the template provided in this thread and it launches however when I try to change the settings for the ISO mounted, VMware crashes. I'm using 6.5 workstation (current build is 118166). It just won't open the settings window. I've used VMware for PCWizs 10.5.2 image and that loads fine along with the settings window. Also to note... I have a Intel Dual Core w/o VT... so it complains about 64-bit guest OS's, but I know it should work again since I can run PCWiz 10.5.2 image with the same error no problem.

What is up with this VMware template? Is it because it was made with a beta version? Can someone provide an update template? Or is there another way I can manually update the vmx file to change the ISO settings to load the retail DVD?

Please help... I've been spinning my wheels for a couple weeks on finding a solid way to install a vanilla kernel to update to 10.5.5 on VMware with hardly any luck. This method seems promising but I'm hitting some problems

The template works fine, but the Linux VMware UI crashes due to the unsupported (on Linux and Windows) parameters in the VMX file. You have to edit it by hand whilst VMware isn't open.

1. Manually change the iso name.

2. PCWiz's image uses 32-bit darwin hence doesn't crash. Change guestos = "darwin-64" to guestos = "darwin".

All this is dicusssed within the thread.

Nice work Donk!

I've successfully installed retail osx 10.5 into my DELL E6400 on VMware workstation 6.5 , Windows XP Pro SP3, VT on. With 4GB ram and 2GB for Guest OS, the install process took about 30 minutes still.

Some problems

1 how to get better monitor resolution than 1024X768?

==update==

By edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, I get the native resolution of my LCD panel.

2 power management seem not working, my laptop fan spins at full speed and the exhust is quite hot.

3 Any one done this in VMware Server 2? Since VMware Server is free, I think many will prefer VMware Server than Workstation...

I'm on vacation at present, and unlike the last one where I did a lot of the work, I am taking it easy this time! I have made progress on various things and will post a new template package once my vacation is over.

1. darwin.iso now signed correctly and used as VMware does on Fusion

2. Using the EFS boot-132 code to provide fatser booting and a very simple cdchain boot iso

3. SCSI disks

4. How to use some of the VMware tools although only as root.

Donk

Hallo,

I used the darwin vm template and went on....

I started up the vm with vmdonk.iso started leo orig dvd and now i'm stuck at blue screen with spinning wheel, and installer isn't coming up. for about more than an hour...

I tried starting up with -v, the same

The same thing works in vmware fusion renaming /lib.../app../vm..../iso..../vm....iso

It starts up installer comes and a perfect install that works.

Now why is it not working in vmware server 2.0 latest build under ubuntu x64 kernel 2.6.27-7 server

Heeelp

Update:

I installed successfully in VMWare server 2.0 under XP. Seems a Linux only problem. Other OS no prob in linux vmware server 2.0.

Has anyone experience with linux and vmware server 2.0 with virtualization of leopard ?

in VMware 6.5.0.118166, I have done everything, MacOS leapord installer DVD boot perfectedly.

But after chose languase screen (i basicaly chose english), it say "u cannot install in this system".

Why? Pls help.

** i am using Original DVD form MacBook Pro.

** also i can access the installation menu (disk utility, password, startup) etc.

I have spent the last 2 weeks testing many different combinations to build a minimal BOOT-132 CD to allow retail Leopard to be installed on VMware Workstation 6.5 beta 2 build 99530. This works very reliably for me on a Dell latitude D620. The work was prompted by all the other great work on these forums and by David Elliot for the original modifications. See this post for more information http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288.

David's work was commissioned by VMware and is well documented at his website Darwin/X86 http://www.tgwbd.org/darwin/. After all the testing I did it was great timing that I finished it the night before VMware released Fusion 2 beta, which actually proved my minimal set of extensions would work. ;) Fusion 2 beta 2 makes use of boot-132 by having a helper cd image darwin.iso which loads extensions to boot the retail system. Unfortunately there are hard coded restrictions in it that mean it can't be used to boot on Windows or Linux Workstation systems or with anything other than Leopard Server. That may change but for now the most useful thing is the inclusion of tools for Leopard on VMware.

Some things to remember:

1. You will need a processor supported natively by Mac OSX as VMware virtualizes the CPU not emulating a specific version . So this won't work for anything other than supported Intel processors - no AMD or other processor.

2. The VMX settings here are crucial unlike for Hackintoshes where frequently you could alter things such as guest os being set to Solaris or FreeBSD.

3. The CD will have to remain mounted during boot, as none of the ways of copying the boot-132 code to the hard disk works. Trust me I have spent 2 weeks trying!!!

4. You must copy the vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe (back up the original) or you will get a triple boot fault. this is because debug code is always enabled in beta version from VMware. This shouldn't be a problem after release of 6.5. This should probably work on Server 2 and Fusion 2 betas.

To install download the template for the guest and a cd image from http://www.mediafire.com/?1zyfhhmlckc. Extract to a folder. To install:

1. Boot the system with the vmdonk.iso attached. You will see a VMware error pop-up which you can ignore safely whenever you are booting the system. You should see the first screen below.

2. Change the loaded cd image to the retail Leopard image by using the VM-->Removable Devices menu item.

3. Enter 9f at the next screen and you should now be taken to the leopard boot line. Enter any parameters you want here, but for me it loaded with no additional boot parameters. See the second screen.

4. Install leopard using the usual installation method of partition the virtual disk using Disk Utility. Stick with GUID Partition and all should be OK.

5. When the system restarts you must reset the cd image to vmdonk.iso for it to boot. When prompted for the device to use specify 80 as in screenshot 3.

One thing I have found is to ensure the guest does not go to sleep. Use the Energy settings to switch off any sleep settings, and switch the Screensaver off as well. I have found that Leopard locks up if it enters any sleep or screen saver states.

If you download Fusion 2 beta 2 you can install the tools from the extracted darwin.iso, but in my experience there are errors showing up in the console logs that lead me to believe they are not functioning. Also I can't get sound to function, but other than that the performance is great. One last tip if you update then the first reboot is best done with -v -f -x boot flags.

Enjoy!

Donk

Update 1 2008-08-01 - Boot physical Leopard image

I have successfully run a Carbon Copy Cloner image from an external USB drive. To do this take the basic template I uploaded and remove the virtual hard drive. I also deleted the VMDK files from the folder. Then add a new virtual disk and select physical drive. You must select the whole drive. This is advanced usage of VMware so you really need to know what you are doing. For example if on Windows ensure that the USB drive does not have a drive letter associated with it, which happens if you are running MacDrive.

Update 2 2008-08-05 - Guest memory settings

If you have slow performance and/or in installation (mine took about 30 minutes) you may need to change your guest's memory settings. I have 4GB in my Dell D620 and set the virtual machine to 2GB. Your system may be paging as the virtual machine memory is equal to the physical RAM on the host. Try reducing it to say 1GB in virtual machine options.

Update 3 2008-08-11 - VMware Fusion 2 beta 2

If you are running Fusion you can use this procedure for all versions of Leopard. Rename the /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso to something else. Then when you start it up there is an error message about the tools CD but just ignore it and off you go!

Update 4 2008-08-11 - Stop the popup error message

Search for darwin.iso and darwin.iso.sig. Copy or rename them, then create 2 zero byte files with the same name. You will find the popup error message disappears. There is an error message in the vmware.log file but that can be safely ignored. Note that Fusion 2 beta 2 and Workstation 6.5 beta 2 for Linux actually ship with these files, whereas currently Workstation 6.5 beta for Windows does not.

Ok. I am running OSX and Vista on two different drives.

The OSX install is completely clean, meaning it has no custom kexts, just like a real mac. I have all the custom kexts in the EFI partition using one of munky's guides.

I ran vmware workstation 6.5 on vista, using the vmdonk.iso as a bootloader, and my physical mac drive as the harddrive. It boots fine, but i don't have internet or full resolution.

Anyone got any kexts that i can add to donk's iso?

Thanks,

Gabe

Ok. I am running OSX and Vista on two different drives.

The OSX install is completely clean, meaning it has no custom kexts, just like a real mac. I have all the custom kexts in the EFI partition using one of munky's guides.

I ran vmware workstation 6.5 on vista, using the vmdonk.iso as a bootloader, and my physical mac drive as the harddrive. It boots fine, but i don't have internet or full resolution.

Anyone got any kexts that i can add to donk's iso?

Thanks,

Gabe

I have a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my real drive on a USB hard drive, and that works great in VMware when under Windows. Best if you post your VMX file please? The driver for ethernet should be built in. Screen resolutions can only be done by passing boot time parameters or stroing it in com.apple.Boot.plist. For example on boot command line:

"Graphics Mode"="800x600x32"

or in plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>

I have a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my real drive on a USB hard drive, and that works great in VMware when under Windows. Best if you post your VMX file please? The driver for ethernet should be built in. Screen resolutions can only be done by passing boot time parameters or stroing it in com.apple.Boot.plist. For example on boot command line:

"Graphics Mode"="800x600x32"

or in plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>

Ah, interesting. I am using the darwin.vmx file you provided, I just change the physical drive.

I will mess around with it more.