Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

- I bought the retail DVD of Leopard 10.5.1

- I used your VM template efile (my laptop has already 4 Gb of RAM)

- I burned the DVD to an ISO file with ISOBuster (I got a 7.8 Gb file)

- I launched the VM with your ISO file and switched to the leopard one and enter 9f as boot device

- The installation starts but I 'm stuck with the grey screen with the spinning wheel since 30 minutes.

I got this error message after booting on the leopard iso file :

EBIOS Read Error 0x31

Block 0 Sectors 64

Matthieu

The EBIOS error message can be safely ignored. Can you try booting the DVD directly rather than the ISO? You will need to modify the CD settings in VMware to point to the physical DVD drive. Also when you get the second boot screen after entering 9F use the -v boot flag and see if you get any error messages.

The EBIOS error message can be safely ignored. Can you try booting the DVD directly rather than the ISO? You will need to modify the CD settings in VMware to point to the physical DVD drive. Also when you get the second boot screen after entering 9F use the -v boot flag and see if you get any error messages.

Yes when I use the "-v" switch with the ISO file I got several errors "read-only file system" like with the Kallway iso file : see the second, third and fourth screenshoots

When I use the DVD, I'm stuck since several minutes with the First screenshoot.

I'm under Vista SP1.

UPDATE : I re-try with the DVD and got the same error messages "file not found" and /or "read-only file system"

Some others screenshoots but I presume that theses error messages are a consequence of an error during the boot.

post-269177-1218298232_thumb.png

post-269177-1218298363_thumb.png

post-269177-1218298380_thumb.png

post-269177-1218298392_thumb.png

post-269177-1218299798_thumb.png

post-269177-1218299817_thumb.png

Strange! Can you post the vmx file you are using and the vmware.log file? Also are you using x32 or x64 Vista? I am hoping that something will stand out.

Also try booting with:

-v -x -f cpus=1

Strange! Can you post the vmx file you are using and the vmware.log file? Also are you using x32 or x64 Vista? I am hoping that something will stand out.

Also try booting with:

-v -x -f cpus=1

Thanks !

Here's 2 links to the log file (I power off the machine after 5 minutes) and the vmx file from the zip I download from your first post.

Same problem with the arguments -v -x -f cpus=1

http://www.virtew.com/Projects/Darwin.vmx

http://www.virtew.com/Projects/vmware.log

Hum I 've a retail leopard DVD but I presume it's the client version not the server, it's a problem ?

I use x32 version of Vista (Business edition - French)

Matthieu

PS : I got messages in vmware about "VT mode", what it's exactly ? Should I change it and how ?

PS 2 : I got it ! I enabled VT in the BIOS (under POST beahvior) and the installation programm started !!!! Thanks for your help I will post my experience after upgrading to the last "service pack"

I have made a lot of test the real reason why hackintosh can`t run leopard server (Spinning Beach Ball freezing) is that there is no dsmost.kext inside in darwin.iso and can`t be added. Vmware maybe check md5 sum on iso becouse i have mede some changes on original iso and no go.

But if we make windows Vmware install and then add dsmos.kex in extension folder and use virtual hdd file and add it on fusion in osx it must work i will try this latter

How can i make 2MB initrd img file that i can use on boot 132 usb version? i have make one but when i load from it not load kext ....

There is no way to run osx kernel if you not select osx in VMware option i was tryed manytimes and no go ...

I have made a lot of test the real reason why hackintosh can`t run leopard server (Spinning Beach Ball freezing) is that there is no dsmost.kext inside in darwin.iso and can`t be added. Vmware maybe check md5 sum on iso becouse i have mede some changes on original iso and no go.

But if we make windows Vmware install and then add dsmos.kex in extension folder and use virtual hdd file and add it on fusion in osx it must work i will try this latter

How can i make 2MB initrd img file that i can use on boot 132 usb version? i have make one but when i load from it not load kext ....

There is no way to run osx kernel if you not select osx in VMware option i was tryed manytimes and no go ...

None of what you do will work with a virtual HDD. I spent a lot of time on this work. 2 weeks of work before getting to what I wrote about. I did all these same experiments as you and my way currently is the only way I can find to make this work. (And I have spent 9 years with VMware as a user and have been involved in early designs for verisons of VMware! I don't work for them before you ask.)

Stick with my solution and it should work. I have a few tweaks for the process that I will document soon, but my laptop used for the expriments needs a Windows re-install and so will be a couple of days longer before I can explain the changes plus adding some Fusion related things. I am also getting ready to test this on VMware Server 2 RC.

So I was able to install Leopard on my laptop : DELL Latitude D630 - Intel Core 2 T7100 1.8Ghz - Vista 32 Bits - 4Gb RAM

I get several errors with the DVD and to resolve them I had to enable, in the BIOS of my laptop under the POST behavior section, the VT mode (Virtualization)

- I used the VMware template file of Donk (see the first post). I just remove the HD and create another one with SCSI interface instead of IDE.

- I burned the leopard DVD to an ISO file with ISOBuster (I got a 7.8 Gb file)

- I installed Leopard with the instruction of the first post

- I upgraded to 10.5.4 ( and used the -v -x -f flags at the first reboot)

- I downloaded the iPhone SDK on a portable USB hard disk (1.2 Gb) and attached it to Leopard and proceed to the installation

- I changed the screen resolution in the com.apple.Boot.plist file (see google)

And voilà :angel:

Thanks a lot to Donk for this tutorial !

Matthieu

So I was able to install Leopard on my laptop : DELL Latitude D630 - Intel Core 2 T7100 1.8Ghz - Vista 32 Bits - 4Gb RAM

I get several errors with the DVD and to resolve them I had to enable, in the BIOS of my laptop under the POST behavior section, the VT mode (Virtualization)

- I used the VMware template file of Donk (see the first post). I just remove the HD and create another one with SCSI interface instead of IDE.

- I burned the leopard DVD to an ISO file with ISOBuster (I got a 7.8 Gb file)

- I installed Leopard with the instruction of the first post

- I upgraded to 10.5.4 ( and used the -v -x -f flags at the first reboot)

- I downloaded the iPhone SDK on a portable USB hard disk (1.2 Gb) and attached it to Leopard and proceed to the installation

- I changed the screen resolution in the com.apple.Boot.plist file (see google)

And voilà :)

Thanks a lot to Donk for this tutorial !

Matthieu

On windows yes i want to see on osx with Fusion

On windows yes i want to see on osx with Fusion

It works on Fusion 2 beta 2. As I mentioned in a previous post just rename darwin.iso in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages to something else. Then use the process I have here.

It works on Fusion 2 beta 2. As I mentioned in a previous post just rename darwin.iso in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages to something else. Then use the process I have here.

Nice, thanks for your efforts.

Did you find out if vmware tools were working or not? you mention they may not be in your howto.

Cheers

Exelent work Donk :):thumbsup_anim:

hm just vmware conf file

now i gona put dsmos kext inside and use original darwin iso

Nice, thanks for your efforts.

Did you find out if vmware tools were working or not? you mention they may not be in your howto.

Cheers

Still not working. Will keep looking at it but I think it is due to changes in the guest/host communications protocol. If we get another build of Workstation it might become compatible.

Exelent work Donk :):thumbsup_anim:

hm just vmware conf file

Just doing that this evening then regenerate sig files. Hopefully by tomorrow will have it.

Confirm work with original darwin iso !

Now we have leoserver on hackintosh !

Vmware tools also work!

Little keyboard lag but a lot better than windows.

Confirm work with original darwin iso !

Now we have leoserver on hackintosh !

Vmware tools also work!

Little keyboard lag but a lot better than windows.

What did you use to add dsmos.kext? Limited space in the ISO.

What did you use to add dsmos.kext? Limited space in the ISO.

I just put it in Extension folder on hdd not on iso and then i put back original darwin iso in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages

But we can put it also on original darwin iso just need to del initrd and make new initrd image that can fit dsmos kext also , but to do that we must free some space deleting vmware tools pkg.The best way to make image is transmac that can make dmg file then we can rename it to img and add it to darwin iso and then we can rename this image to vmdonk and paste it to yours darwin folder. This is just theory i will try it latter.

I just put it in Extension folder on hdd not on iso and then i put back original darwin iso in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages

But we can put it also on original darwin iso just need to del initrd and make new initrd image that can fit dsmos kext also , but to do that we must free some space deleting vmware tools pkg.The best way to make image is transmac that can make dmg file then we can rename it to img and add it to darwin iso and then we can rename this image to vmdonk and paste it to yours darwin folder. This is just theory i will try it latter.

I want to try an expand the iso file, but get errors when expandng.

i been installed

lan don't work

http://######.com/index.php?option=...2&Itemid=32

don't work any solution :)

please help me

OKVMware Infrastructure Web AccessVersion 2.0.0Build 101583VMware ServerVersion 2.0.0Build 101586

leopard toh iso

This work is currently only for Fusion and Workstation using the retail installation of Leopard. Currently don't have a machine available to test Server 2. Sorry.

Hey Donk...

read the whole 5 pages... impressive work!!

I'm still working with the Jas version using your last tut. Still facing the sound prob. But the rest works fine. (Compaq nw8440, T7400, 1GB)

It seems now, that the retail is working on VMware. What about the sound? still the same issues? does it worth breaking the Jas and installing the retail version according to your experience?

A newb question. What is leo server? what is the diff with the "client" leo? (just if you have time in few word, or I'll google...)

As usual, many thanks for the help you give us.

PM

Hey Donk...

read the whole 5 pages... impressive work!!

I'm still working with the Jas version using your last tut. Still facing the sound prob. But the rest works fine. (Compaq nw8440, T7400, 1GB)

It seems now, that the retail is working on VMware. What about the sound? still the same issues? does it worth breaking the Jas and installing the retail version according to your experience?

A newb question. What is leo server? what is the diff with the "client" leo? (just if you have time in few word, or I'll google...)

As usual, many thanks for the help you give us.

PM

Hi

Sorry to say sound still doesn't work. I have found that the retail version feels faster but no hard facts. For me the best thing is that it can safely upgraded e.g. tried the 10.5.5 seed and it worked fine. What I have done is based on the work done for VMware, so hopefully will remain usable, but of course no guarantees.

Leo server is Mac OS X 10.5 Server. Apple do a client and server version of the OS. The Apple web pages detail the differences such as mail server etc.

I saw back on page 3 or so that someone else had this problem, and he fixed it by enabling VT-X in his bios. Problem is, I'm on my MBP and I can't do that. Any ideas? =S

I thought VT-x was on by default in MBP but may be wrong. I can't really help as I don't have one only iMac which does have VT-x enabled. What is the processor in the MBP?