Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

I've gotten this working great with Leopard Retail under Windows 7 on a Core i7.

Now I'm trying to get it to use a CCC copy of my Macbook Air's system (copied over the contents of the previous retail installation in the virtual disk). It boots, but I have no control over the kb and mouse. Removing the usb hub entry didn't help. Any thoughts about what I could try?

I got it working by booting with -v -x -f (which took it into safe boot mode) and cleaned out some old MS and Logitech drivers. It's fine now :) it's so nice using my actual laptop image on the Core i7 / W7 combo. Zoom.

I have some experience with virtual machiens, but not a whole lot. I'm using the template and I'm able to get all the way up to the part where you switch to the leopard ISO and start installing, but when I start installing it just sits there on the screen with the apple logo and the activity indicator thing just keeps spinning indefinitely...

Does anyone know what this might be a symptom of? I'm on an HP pavillion dv9000 with a core 2 duo T7200

Thanks

I have some experience with virtual machiens, but not a whole lot. I'm using the template and I'm able to get all the way up to the part where you switch to the leopard ISO and start installing, but when I start installing it just sits there on the screen with the apple logo and the activity indicator thing just keeps spinning indefinitely...

Does anyone know what this might be a symptom of? I'm on an HP pavillion dv9000 with a core 2 duo T7200

Thanks

Have you enabled VT extensions in the BIOS?

Have you enabled VT extensions in the BIOS?

That did it, thanks! Now my problem is that when I get to the screen to choose where you want to install, there are no disk/partition options shown, the window is just blank and all I can do is go back. As I said, I'm using the template, and I also do have more than 6GB free on my physical drive.

Someone suggested earlier that if this isn't a simple process people just aren't reading 'the guide' correctly, which I imagine is probably true. All I saw was the list of instructions on the first page here though, I've just been trying to follow that. Is there a gude somewhere else that contains further information I'm missing?

Thanks again

ah- I apologize, I didn't realize I had to create the partition myself... that was stupid.

I think I got everything working now, thanks for your help.

That did it, thanks! Now my problem is that when I get to the screen to choose where you want to install, there are no disk/partition options shown, the window is just blank and all I can do is go back. As I said, I'm using the template, and I also do have more than 6GB free on my physical drive.

Someone suggested earlier that if this isn't a simple process people just aren't reading 'the guide' correctly, which I imagine is probably true. All I saw was the list of instructions on the first page here though, I've just been trying to follow that. Is there a gude somewhere else that contains further information I'm missing?

Thanks again

ah- I apologize, I didn't realize I had to create the partition myself... that was stupid.

I think I got everything working now, thanks for your help.

Actually we are mainly using this method now. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178

I have spent the last 2 weeks testing many different combinations to build a minimal BOOT-132 CD to allow retail Leopard to be installed on VMware Workstation 6.5 beta 2 build 99530. This works very reliably for me on a Dell latitude D620. The work was prompted by all the other great work on these forums and by David Elliot for the original modifications. See this post for more information http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288.

David's work was commissioned by VMware and is well documented at his website Darwin/X86 http://www.tgwbd.org/darwin/. After all the testing I did it was great timing that I finished it the night before VMware released Fusion 2 beta, which actually proved my minimal set of extensions would work. :unsure: Fusion 2 beta 2 makes use of boot-132 by having a helper cd image darwin.iso which loads extensions to boot the retail system. Unfortunately there are hard coded restrictions in it that mean it can't be used to boot on Windows or Linux Workstation systems or with anything other than Leopard Server. That may change but for now the most useful thing is the inclusion of tools for Leopard on VMware.

Some things to remember:

1. You will need a processor supported natively by Mac OSX as VMware virtualizes the CPU not emulating a specific version . So this won't work for anything other than supported Intel processors - no AMD or other processor.

2. The VMX settings here are crucial unlike for Hackintoshes where frequently you could alter things such as guest os being set to Solaris or FreeBSD.

3. The CD will have to remain mounted during boot, as none of the ways of copying the boot-132 code to the hard disk works. Trust me I have spent 2 weeks trying!!!

4. You must copy the vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe (back up the original) or you will get a triple boot fault. this is because debug code is always enabled in beta version from VMware. This shouldn't be a problem after release of 6.5. This should probably work on Server 2 and Fusion 2 betas.

To install download the template for the guest and a cd image from http://www.mediafire.com/?1zyfhhmlckc. Extract to a folder. To install:

1. Boot the system with the vmdonk.iso attached. You will see a VMware error pop-up which you can ignore safely whenever you are booting the system. You should see the first screen below.

2. Change the loaded cd image to the retail Leopard image by using the VM-->Removable Devices menu item.

3. Enter 9f at the next screen and you should now be taken to the leopard boot line. Enter any parameters you want here, but for me it loaded with no additional boot parameters. See the second screen.

4. Install leopard using the usual installation method of partition the virtual disk using Disk Utility. Stick with GUID Partition and all should be OK.

5. When the system restarts you must reset the cd image to vmdonk.iso for it to boot. When prompted for the device to use specify 80 as in screenshot 3.

One thing I have found is to ensure the guest does not go to sleep. Use the Energy settings to switch off any sleep settings, and switch the Screensaver off as well. I have found that Leopard locks up if it enters any sleep or screen saver states.

If you download Fusion 2 beta 2 you can install the tools from the extracted darwin.iso, but in my experience there are errors showing up in the console logs that lead me to believe they are not functioning. Also I can't get sound to function, but other than that the performance is great. One last tip if you update then the first reboot is best done with -v -f -x boot flags.

Enjoy!

Donk

Update 1 2008-08-01 - Boot physical Leopard image

I have successfully run a Carbon Copy Cloner image from an external USB drive. To do this take the basic template I uploaded and remove the virtual hard drive. I also deleted the VMDK files from the folder. Then add a new virtual disk and select physical drive. You must select the whole drive. This is advanced usage of VMware so you really need to know what you are doing. For example if on Windows ensure that the USB drive does not have a drive letter associated with it, which happens if you are running MacDrive.

Update 2 2008-08-05 - Guest memory settings

If you have slow performance and/or in installation (mine took about 30 minutes) you may need to change your guest's memory settings. I have 4GB in my Dell D620 and set the virtual machine to 2GB. Your system may be paging as the virtual machine memory is equal to the physical RAM on the host. Try reducing it to say 1GB in virtual machine options.

Update 3 2008-08-11 - VMware Fusion 2 beta 2

If you are running Fusion you can use this procedure for all versions of Leopard. Rename the /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso to something else. Then when you start it up there is an error message about the tools CD but just ignore it and off you go!

Update 4 2008-08-11 - Stop the popup error message

Search for darwin.iso and darwin.iso.sig. Copy or rename them, then create 2 zero byte files with the same name. You will find the popup error message disappears. There is an error message in the vmware.log file but that can be safely ignored. Note that Fusion 2 beta 2 and Workstation 6.5 beta 2 for Linux actually ship with these files, whereas currently Workstation 6.5 beta for Windows does not.

Hi Donk,

I recall in your tutorial that you mentioned you have got SCSI working for the HDD, as opposed to IDE... Do you have a zipped template for the SCSI install as well? Virtual or not, anything that can only transfer at 133/MBps just drags...

I've been playing w/ trying to create my own VM from scratch, but haven't had much luck. I get to the point of booting to the DVD, then once I get to the Apple screen, it just sits there, and never does anything.

I'd like to get Mac to work in a VM, so I can cover some tutorials for our students at the college I work for, covering things from installing Mac, to navigating and doing other things in Mac. Even though Mac in general is fairly self explanatory I would say, people still seem to have a way to be bewildered at it, LOL. :blink:

Anyway, if you could help me, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a lot of test using Leoard server on Fusion and when i select leopard server(32bit or 64bit) 10.5 from Vmware menu and add my working Leoserver virtual hdd with Appledecrypt.kext inside not boot corectly it seems that VMWare block somehow Appledecrypt.kext and i can` understand how ...

Donk did you have any idea on this ?

This metod has been working with 2.0 beta ....

This is on Hackintosh ....

I have made a lot of test using Leoard server on Fusion and when i select leopard server(32bit or 64bit) 10.5 from Vmware menu and add my working Leoserver virtual hdd with Appledecrypt.kext inside not boot corectly it seems that VMWare block somehow Appledecrypt.kext and i can` understand how ...

Donk did you have any idea on this ?

This metod has been working with 2.0 beta ....

This is on Hackintosh ....

Try these http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178

Yes i know for that and it works ... you have made singed custom darwin.iso that boot virtual hdd with EFI boot loader on it .... all is good and is work ...

But i want to use vanila VMware install .... I have vmware virtuak hdd file with leoserver on it with apple decrypt.kext added on it.

When i use your darwin.vmx file with vanila vmware install (no changes made on original darwin.iso) and my leoserver vmware virtual hdd file all is fine it boot and works.

Now when i use vmware to crate new standart leopard server configuration and add my leo server virtual hdd file it`s not load .... the same vanila darwin iso the same leoserver vmware virtual hdd file ....

The differents is only vmx configuration files so on real mac my vmware leoserver virtual hdd file must work without appledecrypt.kext on hackintosh i added appledecrypt.kext in extension folder on virtual hdd file but somehow vmware block using this kext or maybe someting else ....

So the question is how vmware understand what is real mac and what is hackintosh ?

I use my virtual hdd file not your VMDK templates ... I just use only your VMX file and vanila vmware install (no changes made on original darwin.iso) ! and it works !

My hdd file is GUID Partition Table but not have EFI boot loader on EFI partition ...

I don`t use your singed darwin.iso I use original vanila darwin.iso !!

My vmware virtual hdd file with leoserver with apple decrypt.kext added !

I want to understand why when i use your vmx file all work and when i create new with vmware (standart Leopard server vmx file) not work ...

In vmx file have some configuration that enable vmware to check the computer (hack or Mac)

I will compare your VMX file with original (standart Leopard server vmx file)

There are 3 lines that are important:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

Make sure that the last one is false on hackintosh as it means VMware goes looking for the SMC fan controller which doesn't exist.

There are 3 lines that are important:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

Make sure that the last one is false on hackintosh as it means VMware goes looking for the SMC fan controller which doesn't exist.

Yes you are right thx man .... just the fan controler ... hmm... now all work fine :P

Did you have any idea what chip is used for the controler i will gona google for that ... but any way thx again :) I`m so happy now.

edit1 I was try to make custom iso for snow leopard (not server). I use netkas EFI9 boot file use standart snowleoserver configuratin file with ``smc.present = "FALSE" `` but freez on loading kernel maybe VMware not like PCEFI9 boot file ...

I will check it on native install ..

Yes you are right thx man .... just the fan controler ... hmm... now all work fine :(

Did you have any idea what chip is used for the controler i will gona google for that ... but any way thx again :) I`m so happy now.

edit1 I was try to make custom iso for snow leopard (not server). I use netkas EFI9 boot file use standart snowleoserver configuratin file with ``smc.present = "FALSE" `` but freez on loading kernel maybe VMware not like PCEFI9 boot file ...

I will check it on native install ..

SMC contains the secret which is used to decrypt protected binaries. So now using AppleDecrypt you don't need it.

SMC contains the secret which is used to decrypt protected binaries. So now using AppleDecrypt you don't need it.

Maybe Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext is used as driver for decription i will try to rename AppleDecrypt.kext to Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and will boot with ``smc.present = "TRUE" `` to see what will hapend.

edit 1: HaH it`s works ;))) ;) Rename AppleDecrypt.kext to Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and work when smc.present = "TRUE"

Donk did you know how i can make custom size initrd file i have found that use NDIF image format .

thanks. tried to install os x 10.5 server in vmware fusion 2.0.1 on a real!! mac book pro for like 2 hours without success. your method worked on first try ;)

On real macbook pro ..... hmm real macbook pro must have tmp or smc .... but maybe is software or other version that vmware can`t use .

I wondering what bus is used to comunicate with smc chip .... i think that vmware has no pci bus access.

• 1 month later...

hi donk

u provided a good help. I managed to install the Mac OS X 10.5.4 on the VMWare Workstation 6.5.2. However, it seems that each time when i boot up the Mac OS, i need the darwin.iso. Is this really required once the Mac OS has been installed?

Also i am having this error. The darwin.iso is stored in d drive instead of the VMware directory. Is there a way to change this path?

faoo05.jpg

Please help.

Thanks

chris

Should this method working using the 10.5.6 Retail dmg converted to ISO? Or does it have to be an earlier version, and upgrade via update in os x?

It works with 10.5.6 . I have 10.5.6 working great with latest VMware

hi donk

u provided a good help. I managed to install the Mac OS X 10.5.4 on the VMWare Workstation 6.5.2. However, it seems that each time when i boot up the Mac OS, i need the darwin.iso. Is this really required once the Mac OS has been installed?

Also i am having this error. The darwin.iso is stored in d drive instead of the VMware directory. Is there a way to change this path?

faoo05.jpg

Please help.

Thanks

chris

you need Darwin.iso. this error is normal. just igonore it

It works with 10.5.6 . I have 10.5.6 working great with latest VMware

you need Darwin.iso. this error is normal. just igonore it

Yes please follow the instructions exactly in first post. Any deviation will not work on any of the products that can host a Leopard guest, as this is how VMware have implemented the support. They force a boot from the cd-rom drive and specifically an image called darwin.iso.

Any idea why I am getting this error. I think I am following the instructions

Apr 13 01:09:51.968: vcpu-0| VIDE: (0x170) OUTB Cmd 0xe6, Aborting Unknown Atapi Command

I am trying to install leopard on Dell D620 using VMWare Server 2.0 and have enabled the virtualization. I followed the steps provided in the post and get past initial boot and could not go further than the blue apple screen. Here is some output of vmware.log in Darwin folder

Apr 13 10:42:20.070: vcpu-0| SVGA: Registering IOSpace at 0x10d0

Apr 13 10:42:21.304: vcpu-0| VIDE: (0x1F0) Not supporting Feature request: 0xAA

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x5a (MODE SENSE(10)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x5a (MODE SENSE(10)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x1a (MODE SENSE(6)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x1a (MODE SENSE(6)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:26.414: vcpu-0| UHCI: Global Reset

Apr 13 10:42:26.508: vcpu-0| UHCI: HCReset

Apr 13 10:42:29.805: mks| MKS switching absolute mouse on

Apr 13 10:51:06.338: vmx| TOOLS setting the tools version to '0'

Apr 13 11:02:35.162: vcpu-0| VIDE: (0x170) OUTB Cmd 0xe6, Aborting Unknown Atapi Command

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks Donk, this is exactly what i've been trying to do. I just have vmware player on my D620 and used your template. Found an iso on a torrent site of the retail MAC OS X install DVD (10.5.1). Installed and ran the update and everything works! I have 10.5.6 running and the iphone sdk! Thank you very much.

Before i go digging through the other sub-forums, do you know any video kexts so i don't have to run at 1024X768?

I have spent the last 2 weeks testing many different combinations to build a minimal BOOT-132 CD to allow retail Leopard to be installed on VMware Workstation 6.5 beta 2 build 99530. This works very reliably for me on a Dell latitude D620. The work was prompted by all the other great work on these forums and by David Elliot for the original modifications. See this post for more information http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288.

David's work was commissioned by VMware and is well documented at his website Darwin/X86 http://www.tgwbd.org/darwin/. After all the testing I did it was great timing that I finished it the night before VMware released Fusion 2 beta, which actually proved my minimal set of extensions would work. :) Fusion 2 beta 2 makes use of boot-132 by having a helper cd image darwin.iso which loads extensions to boot the retail system. Unfortunately there are hard coded restrictions in it that mean it can't be used to boot on Windows or Linux Workstation systems or with anything other than Leopard Server. That may change but for now the most useful thing is the inclusion of tools for Leopard on VMware.

Some things to remember:

1. You will need a processor supported natively by Mac OSX as VMware virtualizes the CPU not emulating a specific version . So this won't work for anything other than supported Intel processors - no AMD or other processor.

2. The VMX settings here are crucial unlike for Hackintoshes where frequently you could alter things such as guest os being set to Solaris or FreeBSD.

3. The CD will have to remain mounted during boot, as none of the ways of copying the boot-132 code to the hard disk works. Trust me I have spent 2 weeks trying!!!

4. You must copy the vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe (back up the original) or you will get a triple boot fault. this is because debug code is always enabled in beta version from VMware. This shouldn't be a problem after release of 6.5. This should probably work on Server 2 and Fusion 2 betas.

To install download the template for the guest and a cd image from http://www.mediafire.com/?1zyfhhmlckc. Extract to a folder. To install:

1. Boot the system with the vmdonk.iso attached. You will see a VMware error pop-up which you can ignore safely whenever you are booting the system. You should see the first screen below.

2. Change the loaded cd image to the retail Leopard image by using the VM-->Removable Devices menu item.

3. Enter 9f at the next screen and you should now be taken to the leopard boot line. Enter any parameters you want here, but for me it loaded with no additional boot parameters. See the second screen.

4. Install leopard using the usual installation method of partition the virtual disk using Disk Utility. Stick with GUID Partition and all should be OK.

5. When the system restarts you must reset the cd image to vmdonk.iso for it to boot. When prompted for the device to use specify 80 as in screenshot 3.

One thing I have found is to ensure the guest does not go to sleep. Use the Energy settings to switch off any sleep settings, and switch the Screensaver off as well. I have found that Leopard locks up if it enters any sleep or screen saver states.

If you download Fusion 2 beta 2 you can install the tools from the extracted darwin.iso, but in my experience there are errors showing up in the console logs that lead me to believe they are not functioning. Also I can't get sound to function, but other than that the performance is great. One last tip if you update then the first reboot is best done with -v -f -x boot flags.

Enjoy!

Donk

Update 1 2008-08-01 - Boot physical Leopard image

I have successfully run a Carbon Copy Cloner image from an external USB drive. To do this take the basic template I uploaded and remove the virtual hard drive. I also deleted the VMDK files from the folder. Then add a new virtual disk and select physical drive. You must select the whole drive. This is advanced usage of VMware so you really need to know what you are doing. For example if on Windows ensure that the USB drive does not have a drive letter associated with it, which happens if you are running MacDrive.

Update 2 2008-08-05 - Guest memory settings

If you have slow performance and/or in installation (mine took about 30 minutes) you may need to change your guest's memory settings. I have 4GB in my Dell D620 and set the virtual machine to 2GB. Your system may be paging as the virtual machine memory is equal to the physical RAM on the host. Try reducing it to say 1GB in virtual machine options.

Update 3 2008-08-11 - VMware Fusion 2 beta 2

If you are running Fusion you can use this procedure for all versions of Leopard. Rename the /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso to something else. Then when you start it up there is an error message about the tools CD but just ignore it and off you go!

Update 4 2008-08-11 - Stop the popup error message

Search for darwin.iso and darwin.iso.sig. Copy or rename them, then create 2 zero byte files with the same name. You will find the popup error message disappears. There is an error message in the vmware.log file but that can be safely ignored. Note that Fusion 2 beta 2 and Workstation 6.5 beta 2 for Linux actually ship with these files, whereas currently Workstation 6.5 beta for Windows does not.

With Donk's help, I was able to run Mac OS X Leopard on VMWorkstation 6.5.1. I made the necessary changes

to the Darwin 64 .vmx file

E.g.

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"

I installed a .iso image of the Guest OS:

[root@localhost Desktop]# ls -l *.iso

-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 8413577216 Jan 21 19:03 Mac OS X Leopard.iso

Yesterday, I upgraded VMWareWorkstation from 6.5.1 to 6.5.2.

When I try to launch Mac OS X from the Darwin 64 tab, I get the following error:

Guest Operating System isn't Mac OS X server.

This virtual machine will power off.

After uninstalling 6.5.2 and reinstalling 6.5.1, I get the same error.

Any ideas?

I tried booting from the Darwin Tab, but it tries to do the network boot, even if I change the boot order

in the Pheonix BIOS.

Thanks,

-Dave