Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

Glad to hear it's working well for you. I'll disconnect the BT adapter to see if that helps. I use Skype a lot but it has been troublesome trying to use it in the VM. The BluetoothAudioAgent process frequently hangs for some reason. Typically have to reboot the VM to get BT back.

You'd be best asking this over at the VMware forums. I'm over there as DaveP and usually find someone wants to help, especially in the beta forums where VMware engineers hang out.

You'd be best asking this over at the VMware forums. I'm over there as DaveP and usually find someone wants to help, especially in the beta forums where VMware engineers hang out.

Thanks... hadn't really thought of that since I assumed running Leopard under VMware Workstation isn't officially supported.

Thanks... hadn't really thought of that since I assumed running Leopard under VMware Workstation isn't officially supported.

Well it isn't but do they need to know? ;) How are you passing the device through. Can you post the VMX file you are using?

Well it isn't but do they need to know? ;) How are you passing the device through. Can you post the VMX file you are using?

It's just a standard USB device that is automatically attached when plugged in. Here's the VMX file:

# Donkintosh - Dave P. Sat in Vila Joma Jurmala Latvia 13/07/08
.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"
displayName = "Leopard"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:22:61:5b"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
extendedConfigFile = "Darwin.vmxf"
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
floppy0.fileName = "A:"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
guestOS = "darwin-64"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Darwin-000003.vmdk"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.redo = ""
ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide1:0.fileName = "vmdonk.iso"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
memsize = "1280"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
mks.keyboardFilter = "allow"
nvram = "Darwin.nvram"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
smc.present = "FALSE"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.startConnected = "TRUE"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"
usb.generic.autoconnect = "TRUE"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
usb.present = "TRUE"
USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
USB:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 87 72 31 4e c6 a1-30 34 e3 08 32 22 61 5b"
uuid.location = "56 4d 87 72 31 4e c6 a1-30 34 e3 08 32 22 61 5b"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
virtualHW.version = "7"
vmci0.id = "2103445192"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

numvcpus = "2"

isolation.tools.dnd.disable = "TRUE"
isolation.tools.copy.disable = "TRUE"
isolation.tools.paste.disable = "TRUE"

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "path:1/6/2 autoclean:1"

bios.forceSetupOnce = "FALSE"

svga.autodetect = "FALSE"
svga.vramSize = "134217728"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"
sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"
sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.hostPath = "C:\Documents and Settings\~~~~~~~~\My Documents"
sharedFolder0.guestName = "My Documents"
sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

usb.autoConnect.device1 = "path:1/3/0 autoclean:1"

Things are working fine, but vmware-vmx.exe stays at 40-50% CPU constantly, even with OS X just sitting there idle after boot. I have all power management and screen saver disabled. Just the base OS X load updated to 10.5.4 and I installed iLife 08 with updates, nothing else installed or changed.

Only change to the VMX was to remove the USB hub stuff so my KB worked.

This is Workstation 6.5 RC1 running on Vista SP1 64bit. Any idea how I can get the CPU load to go down to normal when the VM is idle?

Things are working fine, but vmware-vmx.exe stays at 40-50% CPU constantly, even with OS X just sitting there idle after boot. I have all power management and screen saver disabled. Just the base OS X load updated to 10.5.4 and I installed iLife 08 with updates, nothing else installed or changed.

Only change to the VMX was to remove the USB hub stuff so my KB worked.

This is Workstation 6.5 RC1 running on Vista SP1 64bit. Any idea how I can get the CPU load to go down to normal when the VM is idle?

Not sure you can as the load is coming from virtual machine where all the CPU speed throttling has been disabled.

Hi Donk,

I still can't get any USB at all when in OSX.

I'm currently in WS RC1 build 110068.

In the previous version, When I was in OSX and plugged some USB stuff, I had XP that was asking me to install the USB drivers... took a while and then nothing (only one time, I had some HDD working).

Now, when I plgu something... nothing is happening.

Any idea where to look at?

TX.

PM

Donk .. I have a slightly different situation.

Trying to install Jas 10.5.4 using your donk.iso on a Lenovo T61 running Vista-32 bit with a VMwave 6.04 Workstation.

I have the VT turned on.

Everytime I load the donk.iso it let's me switch the disk with 9f device and starts booting Jas but quickly dies saying "Guest OS has turned on the CPU .. you must power off now) .. I have no idea why.. first i thought it was my VT settings but I have double checked and reinstalled the VMware .

Any thoughts?

I did install Ubuntu and that works fine

Donk .. I have a slightly different situation.

Trying to install Jas 10.5.4 using your donk.iso on a Lenovo T61 running Vista-32 bit with a VMwave 6.04 Workstation.

I have the VT turned on.

Everytime I load the donk.iso it let's me switch the disk with 9f device and starts booting Jas but quickly dies saying "Guest OS has turned on the CPU .. you must power off now) .. I have no idea why.. first i thought it was my VT settings but I have double checked and reinstalled the VMware .

Any thoughts?

I did install Ubuntu and that works fine

Yes this stuff only really works with vanilla Leopard. Have a look at another thread I started http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=102064, should work better.

can nobody help me?

i got a Dell Dimension PC with a Pentium D cpu

why does it stop at the apple logo? i dont even got a mouse cursor

Pentium D isn't supported CPU for vanilla Leopard installation. There is some work on using the method I have here to allow otherprocessors but it is still experimental. In the menatime you may be better with one of the other hacked distors, JaS, iAtkos, and the other great ones out there.

I followed the steps. I get the following error and a kernel panic:

Failed to load extension org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement

BTW, my machine spec: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, Intel CPU E2180 Core 2 Duo

Please help.

Please see the error snapshot here: kernel panic

20080907075740ib0.th.png

Really have no idea on this one. Are you using an unpatched vanilla image of Leopard? Also these processors don't have VT-x so you may like to try editing the vmx file and change guestos = "darwin-64" to guestos="darwin"

Really have no idea on this one. Are you using an unpatched vanilla image of Leopard? Also these processors don't have VT-x so you may like to try editing the vmx file and change guestos = "darwin-64" to guestos="darwin"

Yes. I'm using vanilla retail dvd from my mac-mini (I think it's 10.4.10). Is there a way to make a new install dvd from my running mac-mini (which has been upgraded to 10.5.2)

I changed the guestos = darwin but doesn't seem to help either.

Yes. I'm using vanilla retail dvd from my mac-mini (I think it's 10.4.10). Is there a way to make a new install dvd from my running mac-mini (which has been upgraded to 10.5.2)

I changed the guestos = darwin but doesn't seem to help either.

Well never tried this with Tiger, although I do have a boxed DVD here and could try it at some point. There isn't a way to build an install DVD, however I have used a backup of my real iMac stored as a bootable USB drive as a means of running Leopard. If you do this you will need something like CarbomCopyCloner and a USB drive you are happy to have cleared and used as backup medium. When done, attach it to the virtual machine not via USB properties but as a physical hard drive in the VMware guest's properties.

Yes this stuff only really works with vanilla Leopard. Have a look at another thread I started http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=102064, should work better.

Donk, I tried with the donk.iso and retail 10.5.1 dvd .. identical behavior.

After I changed the image to the retail version .. it still says "Guest OS has shut down the processor .. power off this machine"

So its' something other than than retail vs. Jas issue . BTW I am running it on Lenovo T61 over Vista-32 .. Virtualization is turned on ..

Any thoughts ?

Donk, I tried with the donk.iso and retail 10.5.1 dvd .. identical behavior.

After I changed the image to the retail version .. it still says "Guest OS has shut down the processor .. power off this machine"

So its' something other than than retail vs. Jas issue . BTW I am running it on Lenovo T61 over Vista-32 .. Virtualization is turned on ..

Any thoughts ?

What version of VMware are you using?

Hi Donk,

I still can't get any USB at all when in OSX.

I'm currently in WS RC1 build 110068.

In the previous version, When I was in OSX and plugged some USB stuff, I had XP that was asking me to install the USB drivers... took a while and then nothing (only one time, I had some HDD working).

Now, when I plgu something... nothing is happening.

Any idea where to look at?

TX.

PM

Any Idea on the USB PB?

VMware sees the device connected, but OSX does not show up nothing.

TX

PM

Any Idea on the USB PB?

VMware sees the device connected, but OSX does not show up nothing.

TX

PM

Just if that might help anybody to answer to my question:

I noticed that in the USB caracteristics under OSX system preferences, when I plug an USB device, I can see it with the name of the device.

If I plug my iphone, it shows the name of the Iphone. But I cannot access to it via OSX (i. e. iTunes). If I plug an HDD, I can see, under the USB preferences, the name and the caracteristics of the HDD. But the OS does not mount the drive.

Any idea?

Many thanks for those who can help.

New vmware fusion have some new protection if i try to add my working leoserver virtual hdd to new created VMware Fusion Leoserver64bit virtual mashine it`s not boot i have inside dsmos.kext but not work ... if i use your darwin.vmx file with not removed darwin.iso from /Volumes/OSXDESCTOP/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\Fusion/isoimages it works ... somehow vmware understand for that i don`have TMP chip or efi and my real dsmos.kext on my pc not help.

Just if that might help anybody to answer to my question:

I noticed that in the USB caracteristics under OSX system preferences, when I plug an USB device, I can see it with the name of the device.

If I plug my iphone, it shows the name of the Iphone. But I cannot access to it via OSX (i. e. iTunes). If I plug an HDD, I can see, under the USB preferences, the name and the caracteristics of the HDD. But the OS does not mount the drive.

Any idea?

Many thanks for those who can help.

See PM - think it is bug in VMware.