Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

Donk -

A comment and two quick questions - at least for you they will be quick!

Comment: THANK YOU for your continuing efforts - those of us who are enthusiasts truly appreciate the work!

Question 1: The Workstation 6.5 beta I am running is build 110068 - is that the RC1 build?

Question 2: I am using a HP 2510p laptop, which has a ULV Intel processor - am I simply beating my head against a wall trying to install / operate OS X on this rig?

Thanks!

Donk -

A comment and two quick questions - at least for you they will be quick!

Comment: THANK YOU for your continuing efforts - those of us who are enthusiasts truly appreciate the work!

Question 1: The Workstation 6.5 beta I am running is build 110068 - is that the RC1 build?

Question 2: I am using a HP 2510p laptop, which has a ULV Intel processor - am I simply beating my head against a wall trying to install / operate OS X on this rig?

Thanks!

Hi

Question1: Yes it is RC1

Question 2: Should be OK. It is 64-bit and VT-x enabled.

Not sure about performance but give it a go, and let us know how it goes.

Any update on sound? Is there a kext I can install to get it working? Do we know what sound card VMware is emulating?

My understanding is that VMware need to do some work to make this happen. I haven't heard anything recently. The emulated hardware settings are partially documented at Ulli's website here http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-sound.html. I'm not a sound expert and rarely have messed around with it in VMware. Maybe someone else with a bit more understanding of OSX and sound could give it a go.

No luck... I tried minimal settings in the vms file for sound:

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.startConnected = "TRUE"

and then used the method described here to install the Sigmatel 9205 drivers. I'm running on a Dell Latitude D630 and was able to get the sound working with a direct install of OS X on the laptop using that same method. Oh well... I'm going to be buying a new Macbook Pro when they come out (hopefully next month). Guess I'll just have to do without sound until then.

I'm stuck at the beginning. Sorry but I'm new to the OSX thing. I have VMware workshop 6.5 beta. I use VMware at school for running xp and fedora core. I have an HP DV6000 and I'm praying it will work. I can't understand the first thread very well. I have two .iso's. I have the darwin folder on my desktop and a kalyway iso.. I also have a partition on my had just for running vmware. When I start up vmware do I start new virtual machine or open exsisting one? I can get the actual Leopard cd if needed.

Seems to work in Windows XP with VMWare Workstation.

Now where do I get a working version of vmware tools for darwin?

I tried installing the vmware tools that were included from VMWare Fusion and that stopped my VMX Leopard from booting ever; it just complains that 'guest os is not Mac Server' and shuts the VM down. :lol:

I'm stuck at the beginning. Sorry but I'm new to the OSX thing. I have VMware workshop 6.5 beta. I use VMware at school for running xp and fedora core. I have an HP DV6000 and I'm praying it will work. I can't understand the first thread very well. I have two .iso's. I have the darwin folder on my desktop and a kalyway iso.. I also have a partition on my had just for running vmware. When I start up vmware do I start new virtual machine or open exsisting one? I can get the actual Leopard cd if needed.

@bradl - You should just use the VMware guest as supplied to run a vanilla Leopard installation. Doesn't work with Kaylway only retail leopard.

OK, Donk - I've tried twice for ISO's and have gotten DMG's instead - and none of the utilities that I have tried has been able to convert it to an ISO....your suggestions? :)

tx-

@mtrimmer - only reliable way is to use hdiutil to convert:

hdiutil convert /path/to/filename.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/to/savefile.iso

Seems to work in Windows XP with VMWare Workstation.

Now where do I get a working version of vmware tools for darwin?

I tried installing the vmware tools that were included from VMWare Fusion and that stopped my VMX Leopard from booting ever; it just complains that 'guest os is not Mac Server' and shuts the VM down. ^_^

@xboy720 - the tools don't work on Workstation. I guess you copied the Fusion iso to Workstation folder. That is what broke the boot. Remove it and should be OK again. You can try loading the tools from the darwin.iso by mounting it from somewhere not in the Workstation folder. I have done this but none of the features seem to work. I think there is a mis-match on the tools protocol used internally stopping it from working. VMware would have to fix that up, and as not supported on Workstation, not sure it will ever happen.

I just made an update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 Server retail on Fusion 2 final without any proplems. Thanx Donk for your genius iso.

@coolio2004 - Good to hear it worked. Thanks to all the others who actually built the code, I just tested and packaged it.

Thanks, I'm going to try this out soon

What does typing "80" do? //i figured this out, to choose the boot device

Is it safe to update using the Apple's update?

Yep - updates run fine. Just did 10.5.5 with no problems.

Thank you, Donk - 10.5.5 running PERFECTLY.....

Now, is there any way to get a custom resolution for full-screen mode? All I get is 1024x768 and I have a letterbox screen - not trying to be picky, but if I can make it even better than PERFECT, why not try??!!?! :angry2:

Thank you, Donk - 10.5.5 running PERFECTLY.....

Now, is there any way to get a custom resolution for full-screen mode? All I get is 1024x768 and I have a letterbox screen - not trying to be picky, but if I can make it even better than PERFECT, why not try??!!?! :pirate2:

You can edit the com.Apple.boot.plist file and add a statement like this “Graphics Mode”=” 1280×800x32”.

I upgraded to 10.5.5 via Software update, rebooted with -v -x -f, but at boot it hangs with:

post-64239-1221826457_thumb.jpg

Any idea?

best regards

Neb

UPDATE:

I cloned the Mac OS X 10.5.4 onto a newly created virtual SCSI disk, and then I upgraded it to 10.5.5 using System update. This time everything went perfectly.

Regards

Neb

Does anyone get this problem?

Using OSX 10.5.5 and typing normally, sometimes some 'keys' would get stuck and then it just ends up spamming the VM machine.

It can happen with any keys, or key combinations, like CTRL C, or arrows, or ctrl-ENTER, etc.

And when it happens, slamming on all the keys does nothing; I can't reset the state at all!

You can edit the com.Apple.boot.plist file and add a statement like this “Graphics Mode”=” 1280×800x32”.

Thanks for the assist - after your post, I had to find WHERE this file was... :D

After I found it in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, here's a copy of what I tweaked to get the resolution I wanted!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280×800x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hope this helps anyone else struggling a bit....

Are there any requirements that are assumed but not mentioned here? I can't get past the grey apple logo after booting to the leopard 10.5.4 retail image. The cursor just spins and spins for hours and then finally stops spinning (locks I assume). I followed the tutorial literally and I am using the right hardware and software.

Just in case I'm doing anything bone-headed, here are the steps I followed:

-Installed VMWare workstation 6.5.0 beta build 110068

-I renamed C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug-orig.exe

-I made a copy of C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe and named it C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe

-Extracted the Darwin folder from the provided zip, opened the Darwin.vmx in VMWare

-I used the convert tool in PowerISO to change a retail 10.5.4 image from a .dmg to a .iso (on a PC)

-Powered on the VM, got to the boot prompt, and edited the virtual machine's cd drive to point to the retail leopard .iso

-typed 9f at the boot prompt, hit enter and was rewarded with the grey apple logo and a spinning line cursor - thats it.

Some particulars about my host system in case they affect things:

-I'm running a x86 version of Windows Vista. In the 9 pages of comments it looks like at least two people were running the x64 version.

-Laptop is a stock dell latitude D620 with 2GB ram.

-I did have VMWare workstation 6.0 installed previously and let the 6.5.0 installer remove and update the version

Some things I've tried which have not helped:

-I was getting a VT error when first powering on the machine in VMWare. I changed the guest os in the darwin.vmx from "darwin-64" to "darwin". This made the VT error go away but did not get any farther on the install. I suspect the error was because I am using a 32bit host OS.

-I reduced the memory available to the VM from 2048, tried 1024 and 1536 to avoid paging memory. Did not affect the outcome.

-I mounted the original .dmg using daemon tools to a "physical" drive, and pointed the vm to this drive at the boot prompt. Didn't work at all.

I did notice I am getting a very quick ebios error right after I type 9f and then hit enter again. It flashes up boot error and then gives me a "press any key to boot from cd rom" message. Is this typical?

Would using Vista x64 make this work properly?

Should I consider the .iso I made suspect? Would this work if I copied the .dmg to a 10.4 mac at work and then used hdiutil to to the .dmg to .iso conversion?

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas for me I would surely appreciate it. Thanks!

Well that's a good list of what you've tried. For what it is worth my laptop is also Dell D620 so it is completely useable with the retail leopard.

1. Don't need to rename the vmware-vmx.exe now as the Release Candiate Workstation version works correctly.

2. Switch on VT in the Dell BIOS. Ensure the laptop is cold power cycled.

3. Use HDIUTIL as I really have never successfully converted DMG to ISO on Windows.

Dave

Well that's a good list of what you've tried. For what it is worth my laptop is also Dell D620 so it is completely usable with the retail leopard.

1. Don't need to rename the vmware-vmx.exe now as the release candidate Workstation version works correctly.

3. Use hdiutil as I really have never successfully converted DMG to ISO on Windows.

Dave

Well that's a good list of what you've tried. For what it is worth my laptop is also Dell D620 so it is completely useable with the retail leopard.

1. Don't need to rename the vmware-vmx.exe now as the Release Candiate Workstation version works correctly.

3. Use HDIUTIL as I really have never successfully converted DMG to ISO on Windows.

Dave

Ahh..thanks for the insight Dave. I think I see the problem. I checked the BIOS post area for a VT setting a few times along the way and didn't see anything. After doing a little research it looks like I've got a T5500 Core2Duo processor in this laptop and it does not appear to support VT per intel's specs. Thats probably a deal breaker on getting this up and running on my D620 huh? I'm pretty sure the processor is hard soldered to the MB too.

Thanks for your help. Any other advice for getting OSX to run in VMWare on this laptop? Use one of the hackintosh flavors?

-Rob

hi donk, can u do this on pre-Core cpus with the technique outlined in my sig?

Yes it should be doable and I have uploaded a new test iso with Voodoo alpha 7 added named as "voodoo" in ram disk. I am on the road this week in Pairs, and can't do any testing myself.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8a5b77d...2db6fb9a8902bda

Ahh..thanks for the insight Dave. I think I see the problem. I checked the BIOS post area for a VT setting a few times along the way and didn't see anything. After doing a little research it looks like I've got a T5500 Core2Duo processor in this laptop and it does not appear to support VT per intel's specs. Thats probably a deal breaker on getting this up and running on my D620 huh? I'm pretty sure the processor is hard soldered to the MB too.

Thanks for your help. Any other advice for getting OSX to run in VMWare on this laptop? Use one of the hackintosh flavors?

-Rob

Yes that particular processor doesn't support VT-x. My Dell D620 has T7400, and din't know they shipped other processors. Well change the darwin-64 to darwin and try again using the -legacy boot flag. Also I am suspicious on the ISO conversion.

For another version I have used JaS versions on the Dell.

Fist let me thank you for this very nice work :) I got a nice leopard 10.5.5 running under VMWare Server 2.0 RC2 without any issue ! Just two small questions :

- did you progress on getting the vmware tools from Fusion 2.0 final working ? (the graphics are quite slow now ...)

- is there a way to automate the boot process after installation (I mean having to press enter, 80, enter,enter on every boot)

Thanks !

UPDATE:

I cloned the Mac OS X 10.5.4 onto a newly created virtual SCSI disk, and then I upgraded it to 10.5.5 using System update. This time everything went perfectly.

I'm currently running into the same problem. How do you clone from a virtual IDE to a virtual SCSI drive?