Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

I can't seem to get this working. Here is what I did. Please be aware I know NOTHING about MAC. This is my first endeavor to see what all the hype is about.

Dell PE1950 Server running Windows Server 2008 x64 and VMWare Workstation 6.5.3.

Booted to the vmdonk.iso, removed that and inserted the iAtkos v7 iso. Entered 9f and used the -v option. It booted, but then comes up and says the installer has failed. Screenshot attached.

I also tried booting straight to the iAtkos v7 iso and get the same results.

FYI, I am using the Darwin.vmx template.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

post-487733-1252689803_thumb.png

hi i'm installing iatkos v7 on my vmware 6.5.0

but its seems stuck on this screen, can anyone help ?

or its not compatible ?

screen.JPG

I had that problem with iatkos too. I didn't get any help so I tried Donk's instructions found at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474. But you need a retail version of OSX and it can't be the one that comes with the Mac. Also, note that I could not get it to work and Donk has not gotten back with me yet.

I had that problem with iatkos too. I didn't get any help so I tried Donk's instructions found at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474. But you need a retail version of OSX and it can't be the one that comes with the Mac. Also, note that I could not get it to work and Donk has not gotten back with me yet.

I don't monitor this thread any more as it is obsolete as far as I am concerned. Also I don't support other distros as there are too many variables and unknowns. All my work is based on running retail versions.

I am a little confused. In order to install Mac OS X on VMWare Workstation, which thread should I follow?

This thread

or the thread [VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion] at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474

I don't monitor this thread any more as it is obsolete as far as I am concerned. Also I don't support other distros as there are too many variables and unknowns. All my work is based on running retail versions.

Donk, if you have a little time can you please take a look at this?

I have obtained an original install DVD: Mac OS X Leopard, Install DVD, Version 10.5.

I am using the instructions found at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474.

I have downloaded and run setup.cmd install as instructed.

It begins to boot to the DVD but then gives *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

I am running this on a MacBook Pro running Windows XP and VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735.

Since I was not sure if by "real Mac" you meant "real Mac running OSX" or if you also meant "real Mac even running Windows" so I tried both for smc.present.

I have attached my .vmx file.

MAC_OSX.vmx.txt

Donk, if you have a little time can you please take a look at this?

I have obtained an original install DVD: Mac OS X Leopard, Install DVD, Version 10.5.

I am using the instructions found at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474.

I have downloaded and run setup.cmd install as instructed.

It begins to boot to the DVD but then gives *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

I am running this on a MacBook Pro running Windows XP and VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735.

Since I was not sure if by "real Mac" you meant "real Mac running OSX" or if you also meant "real Mac even running Windows" so I tried both for smc.present.

I have attached my .vmx file.

It would be better if you posted this in the other thread, but for now please add these lines to your VMX file:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

• 1 month later...

I'm using VMware Workstation 7.0 build 203739 in win xp sp 3

I'm getting this error from VMware when it tries to load snow leopard (before the install screen)

VMware Workstation Internal Monitor error

VCPU-0:NOT IMPLEMENTED vmcore/cmm/intr/apic.c:1903

I've tried with the flag cpus=1

still no go

Hello!

First let me thank you for the wonderful tutorial and the Darwin files - only now did I managed to install Mac OS X on my computer.

That said, after the installation was successfully complete and I rebooted the VM with vmdonk.iso, nothing happens. Actually, the hard disk starts reading like mad but the screen still stays at "Loading Darwin/x86" or something (I don't remember correctly). Meanwhile, the computer is totally unresponsive. I did this twice and each time had to power down the laptop in order to regain control over it.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Is there a way to actually start Snow Leopard now that I have it installed?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I think the constant disk reading had something to do with the amount of memory allocated, when I reduced it to 1024, things started to look normal.

Now the VM takes some time to load and then suddenly there is an error message (attached). Anyone knows if there's any hope to get this thing running at last? :(

post-489139-1257959772_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi forum

Well i have been trying for days to get the mac OS installed but it is simply not working.

my configuration

Dell Dimension 8400

CPU

Intel Pentium 4, model 520 (2.80 GHz)

Cores 1, threads 2

MMX, SSE (1,2,3)

Motherboard

Intel chipset i925x

Memory

DDR2 2.5GB (2560mb)

According to what i have read i have SSE 1,2 and 3 and i have PAE (physical address extension) enabled.

I have 19GB of free disk space on where im trying to create my virtual OS.

I start with darwin_snow.iso and then i hit F8 and change the disc to mac. i click boot from dvd (which actually is an ISO image) and then i hit f8 and type in "-v"

it runs but then it shows that darn error "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the....."

and i have tried everythng. new ISO files, edit the VMX file and inserted paevm="true"- but it continiusly gives me the same error.

I have downgraded from VMware 7 to 6.5 - still same error.

Can anyone tell me why im experiancing this?

Regards,

Faraz

• 8 months later...

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if it was possible to virtualize an already installed partition of OS X using VMWare Workstation. I'm on my mac, just bootcamped into Windows 7 (so there should not be any hardware compatibility problems...hopefully). And the apple discussion boards seem to be keen on throwing the EULA at me :angel:

I hope this is the correct thread O_o

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if it was possible to virtualize an already installed partition of OS X using VMWare Workstation. I'm on my mac, just bootcamped into Windows 7 (so there should not be any hardware compatibility problems...hopefully). And the apple discussion boards seem to be keen on throwing the EULA at me :)

I hope this is the correct thread O_o

OK, I think we need some clarification as to what you are trying to achieve here, if you have a Mac why are you trying to use VMware Workstation, a Windows product to run OS X, VMware Fusion is an OS X version equivalent to Workstation that can run OS X or Windows as a guestOS in a fully VMware supported environment, rather than OS X under Workstation with is what we in this forum call a VMware "unsupported" environment. You mention in your post that all the Apple based forums go on about the Apple EULA, the Apple EULA say's you can only run OS X on Mac hardware, physical or virtual, in fact virtual is further restricted to OS X Server!

We are happy to help, as VMware has had the capability to run OS X as a guest OS for sometime, probably even before they introduced Fusion for OS X, we just need clarification of your environment to give our best advice, the royal "we" and "our" stands for the forum "Geeks", "Sages" and "Legends", MSoK one of the forum "G, S & L's", LoL!

OK, I think we need some clarification as to what you are trying to achieve here, if you have a Mac why are you trying to use VMware Workstation, a Windows product to run OS X, VMware Fusion is an OS X version equivalent to Workstation that can run OS X or Windows as a guestOS in a fully VMware supported environment, rather than OS X under Workstation with is what we in this forum call a VMware "unsupported" environment. You mention in your post that all the Apple based forums go on about the Apple EULA, the Apple EULA say's you can only run OS X on Mac hardware, physical or virtual, in fact virtual is further restricted to OS X Server!

We are happy to help, as VMware has had the capability to run OS X as a guest OS for sometime, probably even before they introduced Fusion for OS X, we just need clarification of your environment to give our best advice, the royal "we" and "our" stands for the forum "Geeks", "Sages" and "Legends", MSoK one of the forum "G, S & L's", LoL!

Hiya, to clarify, here is exactly what I am trying to do:

Run OS X as a guest OS through VMWare Workstation while booted up in bootcamp and to boot that guest OS through my already existing OS X partition. Essentially do what VMWare Fusion does with your bootcamp partition wile booted in OS X, just vice versa...

so:

* using my macintosh hardware

* booted up in windows 7 using bootcamp and apple bootcamp drivers

* trying to use my OS X partition (same physical drive) as a guest OS through VMWare or something similar without having to copy the partition to a virtual HD file

is that even possible? and are there actual software restrictions (besides the legal restrictions of the EULA that I don't care too much about....) that I need to modify to get this to work?

I understand this has the possibility of being a bit of a nub question - but i'm coming from the mac-side of things so I am unfamiliar with VMWare Workstation and its full capabilities >_<

Hiya, to clarify, here is exactly what I am trying to do:

Run OS X as a guest OS through VMWare Workstation while booted up in bootcamp and to boot that guest OS through my already existing OS X partition. Essentially do what VMWare Fusion does with your bootcamp partition wile booted in OS X, just vice versa...

so:

* using my macintosh hardware

* booted up in windows 7 using bootcamp and apple bootcamp drivers

* trying to use my OS X partition (same physical drive) as a guest OS through VMWare or something similar without having to copy the partition to a virtual HD file

is that even possible? and are there actual software restrictions (besides the legal restrictions of the EULA that I don't care too much about....) that I need to modify to get this to work?

I understand this has the possibility of being a bit of a nub question - but i'm coming from the mac-side of things so I am unfamiliar with VMWare Workstation and its full capabilities >_<

Section 8, I think the simple answer is no, you cannot do what you want to do, there is, as far as I am aware, no way for VMware Workstation to see your OS X partition, as Fusion uses Apple's Bootcamp functionality which does not exist on the Windows side of things. So either stick with OS X and Bootcamp with Fusion as an option, or you will have to create OS X as a guest OS under VMware Workstation or Player within your Windows environment.

In terms of the Apple EULA the situation is you can virtualise OS X provided it is on Mac hardware, so you are fine, and also that it is OS X server you are virtualising, so if you have a retail DVD of OS X server again you are complying with Apple's EULA.

• 4 weeks later...

Section 8 what you are trying to do may be possible but there are a few problems and I have not been 100% successful yet but I just got close.

Biggest problem seems that with Windows 7 you can't map a raw partition in Workstation if its on the same disk as your Windows partition, so you need 2 disks. I am not 100% on this but the WS documentation says "On Windows Vista and Windows 7 hosts, you cannot use the system partition or the physical disk that contains it in a virtual machine." and I have not been able to get it to work.

What I did get to work is I used a USB disk and deleted all the partitions on it then made a new simple volume didn't assign a drive letter and didn't format the disk.

Create a VM using custom, choose other operating system and choose the option use a raw disk. pick the USB disk and complete the install. close WS and edit the VMX so its set for darwin10 and has the required settings to boot MacOS. boot to the darwin.iso then boot to snow leopard disk and install.

Here is where things got a little crazy. After install when I tried to reboot I got a kernel panic. I rebooted and tried to boot the VM and it froze on the gear screen. Rebooted again and I am in and setup the MacOS. Shutdown the VM and kernel panic on shutdown. Reboot the Mac, hold option and yay the USB drive shows up and I boot to it. I am now in the install I just did in WS natively.

Now I reboot back to Windows and a few things happened that caused problems. The USB drive was now disk1 instead of disk2 so that messed up the raw disk VMDK and I had to make a new one. I did not notice but on reboot Windows mounted the newly created Mac install on the USB disk. When I tried to boot the VM again I got to the gear screen then got a disk read error. I tried to unmount the disk by unassigning the drive letter but it would still not start. I tried to reboot and now it won't start natively either so I think I killed it. I can still see the files if I assign a drive letter again but I cant start it natively or as a VM.

So it seems its possible but there are some things to figure out and you need to be carful not to mess it up. SCSI RAW disk is experemental and you get a warning that its slow. I found it pretty slow but I was also running off a 2.5" IDE drive in a USB container.

MacOSX for VirtualBox

MacOSX for VMware

http://www.geocities.jp/pearlpalms/

is there perhaps an english version of these instructions?

also... i think you misunderstand a bit - i'm trying to boot os x from a bootcamped install of windows 7... so I already have OS X installed. I essentially would like to do what VMWare Fusion does with my bootcamp partition when booted in my mac BUT do the opposite way around.

vsmoke - it HAS to be on a physically separate disk? it cannot just be on a separate partition?

• 10 months later...

I'm running Workstation 7.1.4 build-385536 on CentOS 6 and I followed the instructions in this forum to unlock. I created a MacOS VM with 40GB of disk and 1GB of RAM. I have the 10.6.3 retail DVD. I have an i7 870, and I added the cpuid line to my vmx file. The symptom I get is that the grey/Apple screen comes up, the DVD whirrs for a while, and then the CPU resets and it starts over.

I get a bunch of these errors:

vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x5a (MODE SENSE(10)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)
vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x1a (MODE SENSE(6)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

and then I eventually see this:

vcpu-0| UHCI: HCReset
vcpu-0| CPU reset: soft (mode 1)
vcpu-0| CDROM: Reset guest state on ide1:0. Breaking door lock.
vcpu-0| TOOLS INSTALL attempted to cancel tools install while not in the correct state. Ignoring...

This drive works in general, and I have other VMs running on this machine without incident.

I've attached my vmx file ... any ideas?

MacOSX_10.6.vmx.txt