Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

Hi Donk,

are your vacations over?

I am very interested in your new template.

Thx

I'm on vacation at present, and unlike the last one where I did a lot of the work, I am taking it easy this time! I have made progress on various things and will post a new template package once my vacation is over.

1. darwin.iso now signed correctly and used as VMware does on Fusion

2. Using the EFS boot-132 code to provide fatser booting and a very simple cdchain boot iso

3. SCSI disks

4. How to use some of the VMware tools although only as root.

Donk

Hi Donk,

are your vacations over?

I am very interested in your new template.

Thx

I am but have been very busy with work this last week, and will also have little time next week. I haven't forgotten and will get something together as soon as I have time. Sometimes real life get in the way of the fun!

Can anyone explain the benefits of:

Update 1 2008-08-01 - Boot physical Leopard image

I have successfully run a Carbon Copy Cloner image from an external USB drive. To do this take the basic template I uploaded and remove the virtual hard drive. I also deleted the VMDK files from the folder. Then add a new virtual disk and select physical drive. You must select the whole drive. This is advanced usage of VMware so you really need to know what you are doing. For example if on Windows ensure that the USB drive does not have a drive letter associated with it, which happens if you are running MacDrive.

Also what are the chances of this working with a Nehalem processor? I assume it will be compatible.

Is it possible to modify VMWare's behaviour of saying No boot device when you boot from anything other than CD, even if you were to say, install Chameleon? It'd be neat not to have to always have the cd image hooked up.

Is it possible to modify VMWare's behaviour of saying No boot device when you boot from anything other than CD, even if you were to say, install Chameleon? It'd be neat not to have to always have the cd image hooked up.

When I build the new template it will work the same way as genuine Fusion 2 loading Leopard Server. CD is there but used transparently. Sadly this behaviour of using a CD is hard coded into all the current VMware products. I am waiting on the new Chameleon due soon, which supports 10.5.6, DSDT patching and EFI booting.

Anyone?

Can anyone explain the benefits of:

Update 1 2008-08-01 - Boot physical Leopard image

I have successfully run a Carbon Copy Cloner image from an external USB drive. To do this take the basic template I uploaded and remove the virtual hard drive. I also deleted the VMDK files from the folder. Then add a new virtual disk and select physical drive. You must select the whole drive. This is advanced usage of VMware so you really need to know what you are doing. For example if on Windows ensure that the USB drive does not have a drive letter associated with it, which happens if you are running MacDrive.

Also what are the chances of this working with a Nehalem processor? I assume it will be compatible.

To always boot to the hard disk modify the ISOLINUX.CFG on the CD to read:

KERNEL /mboot.c32 /boot biosdev=80 --- /initrd.img

assuming used my template. You may also want to change com.apple.Boot.plist to select the correct root disk and automatically boot. Plenty of topics in the forums on this.

Hello Donk. I've been trying to figure out how to do this with mkisofs (if that's even what I should be using) but I honestly don't have a clue what I'm doing. Could you give me a brief walk through? I'd really appreciate. And thank you for the great work on the Mac VM.

Hi Donk, all

Kudos on the great walkthrough, I'm now running a reverse boot-camp-vmware setup, botting into windows and running my os-x partition in vmware. This is great because I can still use os-x for day-to-day stuff, and my windows-only cad software runs at full speed/full acceleration. One tip for this arrangement, DeskSpace is a great spaces counterpart for windows, so that vmware sits in it's own 'deskpace' just like vmware-fusion sat in it's own space in leopard.

I've got Shared Folders working in my virtual-os-x (running on workstation 6.5) by changing my login users uid to 9 (which is the hardcoded uid in the shared folders stuff, probably a bug). In system prefs->accounts, you right click on a user and go to advanced, and change the uid to 9 (mine was 503 initially). Then in terminal

chown -R 9 /Users/<username>

logout and login and shared folders it working :D

and scorched: http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/287382...-using-osx.html

I installed mkisofs with fink, which I already had installed. I copied DONK cd (mounted on desktop) into a folder in home. Edited isoconfig/isoconfig.cfg in text editor to add the =80 bit. Then in terminal:

cd ~/DONK; mkisofs -b ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984 -boot-load-size 4 -iso-level 2 -J -joliet-long -l -D -relaxed-filenames -N -V Boot -v -x .DS_Store -o ../Boot.iso .

Regards,

Andrew

edit:

oh, and adding

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1440×900×32</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>  
	<string>3</string>

to my mac installations' /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist made things a lot smoother starting and full screen on my MBP, and doesn't seem to interfere with the mac booting natively.

and I reckon this will probably work, or work without too much effort, to get vmware to boot my native hard drive with a second small (virtual) hard drive to hold the bootloader:

http://mydellmini.com/forum/type11-efi-met...ethod-t331.html

My vmware will boot with his .iso as the boot image, using donk's template for the rest. I haven't tried running/changing the script on the .iso to load a bootloader into a drive yet though, could be good though. I guess it doesn't really make any difference if the bootloader is on a virtual cd or a virtual hard drive really though.

Andrew

yeah ok, so my mkisofs line above doesn't seem to work. It made a bootable image, and the bootloader worked, and automatically loaded os-x off my hard drive, but then I got apple logo and neverending spinner, it dodn't actually boot. So it's probably trashed the permissions of something on the image or something, not sure why it hasn't worked.

edit2: maybe the mkisofs line above works, maybe it doesn't, I can't boot my os-x with my boot.iso or the original donk one now, something's trashed my vmware. Still boots normally though.

edit3: starting afresh from the template got it booting again, I've got no idea what I broke in the last profile. Good news is my boot.iso works fine, so the mkisofs line above works great to rebuid donk's image if needed for anything :D

Another tip, leopard seems to be very picky about the amount of ram it has to run on. I had my vmware set to give it 750MB ram and it was unusable, ie it'd take 2 minutes for spotlight to pop out when you press command-space, and other 10 minutes to actually search for something when you type. Just useless.

I upped the ram to 1050MB and it'd flying along now, I wouldn't call it anywhere near native (the graphics will hold it back a lot) but it's completely usable.

Oh and my reccomendation of deskspace above, I've found I like CubeDesktop more, it seems more stable, programs stay on the desktop they're assigned to etc.

Andrew

and scorched: http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/287382...-using-osx.html

I installed mkisofs with fink, which I already had installed. I copied DONK cd (mounted on desktop) into a folder in home. Edited isoconfig/isoconfig.cfg in text editor to add the =80 bit. Then in terminal:

cd ~/DONK; mkisofs -b ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984 -boot-load-size 4 -iso-level 2 -J -joliet-long -l -D -relaxed-filenames -N -V Boot -v -x .DS_Store -o ../Boot.iso .

Regards,

Andrew

edit:

oh, and adding

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
							 <string>1440×900×32</string>
							 <key>Timeout</key>  
							 <string>3</string>

to my mac installations' /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist made things a lot smoother starting and full screen on my MBP, and doesn't seem to interfere with the mac booting natively.

Thanks Corona. I was able to create a new iso to automatically boot my Leopard virtual machine without interaction. Here are the steps I followed:

1) Downloaded and extracted http://homepage.mac.com/machiavel/Executab...ools-OSXbin.tgz which contains the mkisofs binary. I copied the sw folder in it to /sbin.

2) Copied the files from Donk's iso to a new folder on my desktop called MacBoot.

3) Edited isoconfig.cfg to the following:

PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 0
DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot biosdev=80 --- /initrd.img

4) Ran this command to make the iso:

cd ~/Desktop/MacBoot; mkisofs -b ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984  -boot-load-size 4 -iso-level 2 -J -joliet-long -l -D -relaxed-filenames  -N -V Boot -v -x .DS_Store -o ../MacBoot.iso .

5) Edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to this:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1152×864×32</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

Thanks again Corona!

I changed no. of CPU from 1 to 2 and it seems to work slightly faster and more kernal panics

It is recognised as 2 Core Solos

It would be nice if there's another ISO image that does typing "80" and "Enter" automatically

Here is the automatic boot ISO I made from the process described earlier: Boot.iso

You will also need to edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to include this code:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

The timeout value can be whatever you want.

Is you boot disk SCSI? How did you make SCSI disks work?

Thanks

Sorry not been around but been dealing with a bereavement. I am making progress on a new set of templates, which hope to test in the next couple of days.