Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

I just installed this OS X Leopard using retail DVD (.iso), and its so sweet. However after an update (10.5.5 combo) My VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 build 126130 shows me pop-up error and what I see on the screen is "Operating system doesnt exist" or "missing".

I want to confirm that the following updates are working correctly with the VM Wirkstation 6.5:

Mac 10.5.5

RDP 3.2.2

Security Update 2008-007

Once again – we are using here original retail DVD from 10.5.4 and not modified template from Donk.

Cautious users should definitely make a VM snapshot before they start with the updates though -_-

@ozbeklar: it depends on what time do you see the warning: if it is right at the start presumably either the vmx file doesn't point to vmdonk.iso or the same iso is corrupted. if after you booted - with option 80!!! - then there could be smth. wrong with the vmd.

clear?

Folks, I just restarted VMWare and its working. However, it doesn't recognize my soundcard (Realtek) and can I increase the hd disk space? Now it is 32GB. Can I increase it? I think I need more space. And last but not least, my monitor can handle 1280x1024 (maximum). Can I change it to new 24" LED Cinema display's resolution?

Thanks for help!

Donk, you are a hero :)

Hello,

yes, it is the osx coming with my macbook.

I just try your method :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178

with a CD provided by a friend of mine. a retail one, not a bacbook one.

it doesn't work, I a am blocked at the screen shown on image3.png.

I can press enter, or try to modify the leter of the CD, it never boot from the cd.

I am not lucky :((

thank you for your help.

best regards,

Olivier

Will need more information? Is the DVD the one that came with your MacBook? If so that is a restore DVD and can't be used for installing in a VMware session. You need the retail DVD.

Also suggest you use this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178 as I have stopped using this method.

I would start using this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178. Unfortunately it would mean re-installing. Otherwise just create 2 zero byte files with the names I mentioned in VMware installation folder.

Hello,

yes, it is the osx coming with my macbook.

I just try your method :

with a CD provided by a friend of mine. a retail one, not a bacbook one.

it doesn't work, I a am blocked at the screen shown on image3.png.

I can press enter, or try to modify the leter of the CD, it never boot from the cd.

I am not lucky :) (

thank you for your help.

best regards,

Olivier

Have you come out of the Mac OS boot screen and cacelled the tools install as shown in image4?

Hi all.

Just want to confirm that this thread's workaround goes perfectly well also on VMWare Player 2.5.1 - I think someone mentioned about it but most of time the questions were spinning around workstation, server or fusion.

So player is just as fine - at least for me with Latitude D630 T7700 - and by the way you can still adjust the VMware network settings even if you don't see the Network Manager shortcut under "all programs"... Yes, you can figure it out on your own :D

One last tip if you update then the first reboot is best done with -v -f -x boot flags.

Donk, could you or anyone explain why this should be done. What happens if you forget, and do you have to do it for each subsequent core update, 10.5.5, 10.5.6, etc?

Donk, could you or anyone explain why this should be done. What happens if you forget, and do you have to do it for each subsequent core update, 10.5.5, 10.5.6, etc?

I found that Leopard would fail to boot on VMware unless forced kext cache refresh during boot. It only needs to be done at te frist boot after an upgrade, and actually when I applied 10.5.5 I didn't do it at all.

I confirm that iATKOS_5i it works with your installation method

installation of iATKOS_5i for defect and 6.5.0 does not personalize vmware version 6.5.0 build 118166

My computer: Dell Vostro 1500 c2duo T8300 3GB RAM windows Vista Business 32Bits

Thank you Donk

Hello,

No i see only the first screen, where I have to choose the disk to boot.

I can change the cdc/dvd settings in the VM settings as I want, it doesn't whange anything. I never see the Aple logo.

is there a way I can force it to recognise it ?

thank you

Olivier

Have you come out of the Mac OS boot screen and cacelled the tools install as shown in image4?

Ok so here is my prob

i cant get this to work at all

i have vmware the same one as in your video 6.5.0 - 118166

i also have your darwin.zip

so i run it all as you said i sould

get some errors that im reading are ok to leave

get a block 64 summin error cant member exact name of the error

any ways it comes up like 4 times then it goes to the apple loading screen with the spinning wheel

and just sits there not moving at all

i then tried to cange the guest os to just darwin as i am using vista 32bit and not 64

that gets rid of the VT error

but same prob wont go past the spinnin wheel

i am using a

Genuine Intel® CPU 2160 @1.80GHz 1.81GHz processor its duel core

and the motherbord is a Gigabyte - GA-VM900M

i tried it on both xp and vista both 32bit

i first tried it on 6.5.1 befor downgrading to the 6.5.0 118166

both get to the same point and stop

is it something im doin wrong ?

or is it the processor or motherbord or both ?

is there anything you can suggest ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donk,

Thanks for all the great posts and help. I've gotten to the point where it begins to install OS X and just after I select the language, I get an error that says: "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer".

I'm using the cd's I received with my Mac Book Pro. I thought i had followed the instructions to a T. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Edit: nevermind... just found the post that said reinstallation cd's won't work. Sry.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so here is my prob

i cant get this to work at all

i have vmware the same one as in your video 6.5.0 - 118166

i also have your darwin.zip

so i run it all as you said i sould

get some errors that im reading are ok to leave

get a block 64 summin error cant member exact name of the error

any ways it comes up like 4 times then it goes to the apple loading screen with the spinning wheel

and just sits there not moving at all

i then tried to cange the guest os to just darwin as i am using vista 32bit and not 64

that gets rid of the VT error

but same prob wont go past the spinnin wheel

i am using a

Genuine Intel® CPU 2160 @1.80GHz 1.81GHz processor its duel core

and the motherbord is a Gigabyte - GA-VM900M

i tried it on both xp and vista both 32bit

i first tried it on 6.5.1 befor downgrading to the 6.5.0 118166

both get to the same point and stop

is it something im doin wrong ?

or is it the processor or motherbord or both ?

is there anything you can suggest ?

i am having a problem as u are.... i hope donk send some help soon

am took d retail cd from d net

and am using d latest vmware cd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far extras i had to do, was

remove these lines from darwin.vmx

USB:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

to get keyboard working... anyone have any idea way the VM is not holding my mouse input? IE i can just move mouse out of the VM and not needed to press ctrl alt

Hi Donk! I'm new to the world of instaling OSs on VMware. :angel: I salute you for what you've achieved and are sharing with us. Your instructions were precise and flawless! I've always wanted to use a legit DVD to install Leopard on VMware - looked around online but never found anything. Thank you so much for your effort! :P It's currently installing on my HP dv9721tx - is going smooth as silk :D

Update: I successfully managed to install OS X 10.5 on VMware Workstation 6.5 :) Now a couple of queries.

1) How do I get it to detect my video card (nVidia GeForce 9400M GS 256MB)?

2) How do I change the screen resolution?

3) What do I have to do to install VMware Tools?

Hope to hear from someone soon :)

So far extras i had to do, was

remove these lines from darwin.vmx

USB:1.deviceType = "hub"

to get keyboard working... anyone have any idea way the VM is not holding my mouse input? IE i can just move mouse out of the VM and not needed to press ctrl alt

VMware will just put them back the next boot. I would suggest the following entries are in the VMX file:

USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"

USB:2.deviceType = "hub"

usb:2.present = "TRUE"

VMware has now added auto-windows detection so knows when you are leaving the guest window without tools being installed.

Update: I successfully managed to install OS X 10.5 on VMware Workstation 6.5 ;) Now a couple of queries.

1) How do I get it to detect my video card (nVidia GeForce 9400M GS 256MB)?

2) How do I change the screen resolution?

3) What do I have to do to install VMware Tools?

Hope to hear from someone soon :)

1. You don't the guest uses a virtualized graphics card VMware SVGA II.

2. Use graphics mode settings at boot prompt or in com.apple.Boot.plist - plenty of threads on that

3. Download Fusion 2 and use the tools from there. I will document this in another thread.

Actually everyone should check out the other thread as this is where the work is going on now.

updated to 10.5.6 no problem just gotta use the flags as dunk points out

would love some sound and i get CI just not QE

Graphics is dependent on VMware drivers which don't fully work on Workstation version of VMware. Sound isn't currently supported by VMware in Mac guests but I had success with this driver on Windows. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597. I do know that others have not had the same success.

Hi Donk! :D Thanks for the link and info regarding the graphics drivers. Kinda sucks that the graphics card can't be interfaced via VMware :) Hope all does well. Ran into a problem earlier when I updated the base image to 10.5.6. It started complaining that the installed system is not OS X Leopard -_- So I'm quite looking forward to the "other walkthrough" :)

I've gotten this working great with Leopard Retail under Windows 7 on a Core i7.

Now I'm trying to get it to use a CCC copy of my Macbook Air's system (copied over the contents of the previous retail installation in the virtual disk). It boots, but I have no control over the kb and mouse. Removing the usb hub entry didn't help. Any thoughts about what I could try?