Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I upgraded VMWareWorkstation from 6.5.1 to 6.5.2.

When I try to launch Mac OS X from the Darwin 64 tab, I get the following error:

Guest Operating System isn't Mac OS X server.

This virtual machine will power off.

After uninstalling 6.5.2 and reinstalling 6.5.1, I get the same error.

Any ideas?

I tried booting from the Darwin Tab, but it tries to do the network boot, even if I change the boot order

in the Pheonix BIOS.

Thanks,

-Dave

What happened is VMware installed its default version of "darwin.iso" in /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages. Check out Donk's other thread about retail templates. Inside his zip is a new "darwin.iso" you need to install and sign (instructions in that other thread).

• 2 weeks later...

guys i have coming into some problem with using VMware and Mac OS X

i stuck with this error here

CPU has been disable by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point"

A mac power icon appear saying need to be restart

i am using a Acer Aspire 5720ZG

Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 1.86GHz, 533Mhz FSb, 1MB L2 Cache

4GB DDR2 Ram

Windows Vista 64 bit OS

using a VMware workstation 6.5.1 build 126130

Mac OS X 10.4.8 Installation disc

using the vmdock.iso

pls help guys

guys i have coming into some problem with using VMware and Mac OS X

i stuck with this error here

CPU has been disable by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point"

A mac power icon appear saying need to be restart

i am using a Acer Aspire 5720ZG

Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 1.86GHz, 533Mhz FSb, 1MB L2 Cache

4GB DDR2 Ram

Windows Vista 64 bit OS

using a VMware workstation 6.5.1 build 126130

Mac OS X 10.4.8 Installation disc

using the vmdock.iso

pls help guys

I use another method now, see this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178. However this is for 10.5 Leopard and not sure how well 10.4 Tiger will run using them.

do i need to set Virtualisation in the bios to let this VMWare to operate properly?

can VMware do without it?

Virtual PC need it so i swtich to VMware

Yes you need a VT-x enabled processor.

Yes you need a VT-x enabled processor.

i just went to check out intel site to confirm that my T2390 is VT-x enabled processor

but when i went into my bios to try to enable it i cant find it

usually it should be in the advance feature section but my bios dont display it at all

anyway to go around this problem? :(

i just went to check out intel site to confirm that my T2390 is VT-x enabled processor

but when i went into my bios to try to enable it i cant find it

usually it should be in the advance feature section but my bios dont display it at all

anyway to go around this problem? :P

Sorry but it is not VT-x enabled http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4H.

But i check Cnet and it say it is supported

http://shopper.cnet.com/processors/intel-p...9-33226801.html

Who do you trust Intel or Cnet?

You can try the processor checker from VMware:

http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/...6.0.0-45731.exe (Windows)

http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/...eck-6.0.0-45731 (Linux)

However checking other sites does confirm the Intel spec that the processor is 64-bit enabled but not VT-x.

Who do you trust Intel or Cnet?

You can try the processor checker from VMware:

http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/...6.0.0-45731.exe (Windows)

http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/...eck-6.0.0-45731 (Linux)

However checking other sites does confirm the Intel spec that the processor is 64-bit enabled but not VT-x.

i give up on acer products

sucks big time

anyway Donk you been a great help to me as a noob to this mac on vmware

thankss alot my dude

i give up on acer products

sucks big time

anyway Donk you been a great help to me as a noob to this mac on vmware

thankss alot my dude

Sorry about that. To be honest Intel do not make it easy to find out what their processors are capable off. Many think that if you get Core2 you automatically get these features, but there are some which are obviously for a particular price point where some of these features are disabled. Then there are processors which are 32-bit only yet have VT-x. Go figure!

Some of the hacked distros may work, but I haven't tried any recently.

<br />Sorry about that. To be honest Intel do not make it easy to find out what their processors are capable off. Many think that if you get Core2 you automatically get these features, but there are some which are obviously for a particular price point where some of these features are disabled. Then there are processors which are 32-bit only yet have VT-x. Go figure!<br /><br />Some of the hacked distros may work, but I haven't tried any recently.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi Donk. I've got one of those weird CPUs that are 32bit, but are VT-x enabled. Is there any hope for me? It's in a Thinkpad T60 if it helps.

I followed the instructions from the newer thread(139178) and I can actually see it begin to boot from an OSX iso(The cdrom indicator in the frame of the vmware windows itself flickers) but:

1. If I'd picked the ISO I made(from original media) with dd if=/dev/sourcedrive of=./newosximage.iso, it behaves as though the iso isn't even there.

2. If I'd picked an ISO I borrowed from somone else, it starts to boot(apple screen, and lots of diagnostic text if I use -v), but dies before I ever get to the desktop or installer.

I am using VM workstation on linux.

The only mods I made to the template were to fix the name of the vmdk(capitalization) and change the memory to 1G and change the virtual cdrom to be the image file.

Some Q:

1. Is there a minimum 10.5.x version needed? (Will 10.5.1 work?)

2. Considering that I have the real original media in front of me, what's the best way to get a workable iso from it?

I'm willing to try either method, but I've been mainly working with the one listed in the newer thread.

<br /><br /><br />

Hi Donk. I've got one of those weird CPUs that are 32bit, but are VT-x enabled. Is there any hope for me? It's in a Thinkpad T60 if it helps.

I followed the instructions from the newer thread(139178) and I can actually see it begin to boot from an OSX iso(The cdrom indicator in the frame of the vmware windows itself flickers) but:

1. If I'd picked the ISO I made(from original media) with dd if=/dev/sourcedrive of=./newosximage.iso, it behaves as though the iso isn't even there.

2. If I'd picked an ISO I borrowed from somone else, it starts to boot(apple screen, and lots of diagnostic text if I use -v), but dies before I ever get to the desktop or installer.

I am using VM workstation on linux.

The only mods I made to the template were to fix the name of the vmdk(capitalization) and change the memory to 1G and change the virtual cdrom to be the image file.

Some Q:

1. Is there a minimum 10.5.x version needed? (Will 10.5.1 work?)

2. Considering that I have the real original media in front of me, what's the best way to get a workable iso from it?

I'm willing to try either method, but I've been mainly working with the one listed in the newer thread.

Use the -legacy flag to start Mac OS Xin 32-bit mode. Try that with your ISO images first. I use a vanilla 10.5.0 ISO I made on my real iMac from original DVD. So 10.5.1 should be OK and then update to 10.5.6.

I've had one thing that still prevents me from using my otherwise-amazing VM for development work under W7: certain Apple applications fail to render their displays. iWork, XCode, etc -- I guess these are all expecting some missing acceleration? Their screens are usually just empty. Most applications work fine.

The W7 machine is using a Radeon HD 4870 / Core i7.

• 1 month later...

I followed the steps and after putting the retail DVD of leopard when i provided 9f and hit enter, I still see the Apple logo in gray back ground..No gears to show any progress and the screen is the same for more than 20 minutes now<br /><br />Any ideas what the hell might be going on ? I am on Dell PowerEdge SC1430 with Dual Xeon 3GHz machine with 8GB ECC RAM... very powerful machine<br /><br />Thanks<br />L2R

I followed the steps and after putting the retail DVD of leopard when i provided 9f and hit enter, I still see the Apple logo in gray back ground..No gears to show any progress and the screen is the same for more than 20 minutes now<br /><br />Any ideas what the hell might be going on ? I am on Dell PowerEdge SC1430 with Dual Xeon 3GHz machine with 8GB ECC RAM... very powerful machine<br /><br />Thanks<br />L2R

Use -v to see verbose messages. Also what is the CPU exactly; that is the number of the processor? Remember you need a VT-x enabled processor that is also recognized by the retail kernel.

so i have MAC OS X leopard 10.5.5 download from net.

using vmware 6.5

getting this error.

I must be doing something wrong.

and step by step guides?

Error while opening the virtual machine: File "C:\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard.vmdk" line 1: Syntax error.

Error while opening the virtual machine: "C:\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file.

so i have MAC OS X leopard 10.5.5 download from net.

using vmware 6.5

getting this error.

I must be doing something wrong.

and step by step guides?

Error while opening the virtual machine: File "C:\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard.vmdk" line 1: Syntax error.

Error while opening the virtual machine: "C:\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard\Mac OS X Leopard.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file.

Open the vmx file NOT the vmdk file. If still persists then post VMX file. However this seems not to be related to the templates so maybe best in a more relavnt thread.

Hi Donk:

This is my first time trying to install Mac in VM, so my question might sounds too newbie, please forgive those silly questions.

I have tried to mount the vm from the darwin folder and also the darwin.iso which comes with the zip file.

After I switched to the original mac os x iso (10.5.6) and typed 9f, the virtual machine will go back to original boot instead of give me a chance to type the parameter 80. And it gives me errors right after.

ps.actually there is another error msg right before the screen takes me to the original boot load.

My system is i7 920 with 6GB of ram.

OS is vista 64 bits

What should I do, in order to install the Mac OS in VM workstation 6.5.2 properly?

Thank you

post-443201-1245074125_thumb.jpg

post-443201-1245074154_thumb.jpg

I have been having trouble setting up Mac OS X "Leopard" 10.5.6 on my VMware Workstation 6.5 using Darwin x32 (Operating System: Ubuntu "Hardy Heron" 8.04). There were initial problems beforehand:

It did not recognize it as "Mac OS X Server", so I had to manually disable the check using this guide.

But now I have a problem that just puzzles me. Whenever I attempt to boot it without parameters it stops at the gray boot-up screen with a loading circle. And when I try to boot with the flags "-x -f -v -legacy", it boots until it starts experiencing errors, like in the picture attached until the whole install just hangs. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Picture:

post-443056-1245078905_thumb.png

I have been having trouble setting up Mac OS X "Leopard" 10.5.6 on my VMware Workstation 6.5 using Darwin x32 (Operating System: Ubuntu "Hardy Heron" 8.04). There were initial problems beforehand:

It did not recognize it as "Mac OS X Server", so I had to manually disable the check using this guide.

But now I have a problem that just puzzles me. Whenever I attempt to boot it without parameters it stops at the gray boot-up screen with a loading circle. And when I try to boot with the flags "-x -f -v -legacy", it boots until it starts experiencing errors, like in the picture attached until the whole install just hangs. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Picture:

post-443056-1245078905_thumb.png

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178 - try this first and post any issues on that thread. This thread is now obsolete as far as the work I am currently doing.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if this works on amd processors. Also, how reliable is it on intel (i have a few intel computers). I don't want to spend over a 100 dollars on leopard if it won't work and I don't have a good experience with osx86 (all installs don't work), I even tried to install an osx86 distro using this method. (maybe the whole reason this doesn't work for me is because i am using an amd processor? i wish it was as easy to install leopard on amd as tiger.)

edit: no kidding, just read donk's post. well, i can always try it on another computer.