Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

hallo,

I am now tryin to get it work on vmware 6.5 beta since two days but i always get stuk as same point. While the instlls loads the files for the installation procces i get loads of errors n so on. Like in this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=850457

the problem is that my laptop doesnt support the vt-mode. I have a sony vaio notebook: fz11m. Ist it possible to install leopard without this VT?

btw i am using windows server 2008 x32. Have installed the lastest build of the Vmware 6.5 Beta and using the templates provided in the first post.

@attachment: this is the place were i get stuck. I am waiting now since abt 10 minutes for it to move frther but nothing happens

post-270523-1218789401_thumb.png

hallo,

I am now tryin to get it work on vmware 6.5 beta since two days but i always get stuk as same point. While the instlls loads the files for the installation procces i get loads of errors n so on. Like in this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=850457

the problem is that my laptop doesnt support the vt-mode. I have a sony vaio notebook: fz11m. Ist it possible to install leopard without this VT?

btw i am using windows server 2008 x32. Have installed the lastest build of the Vmware 6.5 Beta and using the templates provided in the first post.

@attachment: this is the place were i get stuck. I am waiting now since abt 10 minutes for it to move frther but nothing happens

I may have a solution. Hopefully I am going to post a newer solution for both 64-bit and 32-bit systems tomorrow. Got a friend just double checking something for me.

I have this perfectly installed, save for the sound as mentioned by others. I'm still myself at a bit of a loss though - how does one easily share between the guest OS and the host? I can't get VPN clients on the host end working and Shared Folders won't play nice without vmware tools.

I may have a solution. Hopefully I am going to post a newer solution for both 64-bit and 32-bit systems tomorrow. Got a friend just double checking something for me.

It won't be today. My friend's MBP also shows an error. I'll try and sort that out with him, and double check on my iMac. As I won't see him until Monday though so it will be next week before I have it tested.

I have also a solution for 32-bit Leopard on CPUs that don't support VT-x. Processor still has to be Mac compatible, but it works fine for me on a T7200 with VT-x turned off.

I have this perfectly installed, save for the sound as mentioned by others. I'm still myself at a bit of a loss though - how does one easily share between the guest OS and the host? I can't get VPN clients on the host end working and Shared Folders won't play nice without vmware tools.

VMware are working on the sound. The way I share folders is by using the SMB & FTP sharing in Leopard.

I have also a solution for 32-bit Leopard on CPUs that don't support VT-x. Processor still has to be Mac compatible, but it works fine for me on a T7200 with VT-x turned off.

the processer ist mac compatible. it is intel processor with T7100 with sse2/3

would be nice if u could tell us the solution =)

btw ich have a 32 bit version of vista runnin on my pc and on every start cmwre shows me this big error box in the down-right corner in which it says:

"This is usually due to a BIOS/firmware problem. Please:

(1) Verify the BIOS/firmware settings enable VT mode.

(2) Power-cycle the host, if the BIOS/firmware VT settings were changed at boot.

(3) Power-cycle the host, if you have not done so since installing VMware Workstation.

(4) Update host BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled.

For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152"

btw ich have a 32 bit version of vista runnin on my pc and on every start cmwre shows me this big error box in the down-right corner in which it says:

(2) Power-cycle the host, if the BIOS/firmware VT settings were changed at boot.

(3) Power-cycle the host, if you have not done so since installing VMware Workstation.

You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled.

Processor should be OK. I want to do a final test to double check the changes to the VMX file work, but basically try setting:

guestos = "darwin-64"

to

guestos = "darwin"

Then when booting the installation DVD use -legacy on the boot command line. If you can confirm this to me that would be great.

ok will try it

btw i tried another version of vmx file from us .. one for the iATKOS V4. i came there till the blue screen with many bubbles. (only with -v (without cpus=1)). if u ve any idea hw i could emprove tht or may b this helps u with this retial one(would be nice :o )

thx for ur efforts man .. u r doing gr8 work. would be jst much more gr8 if it would also for me ^^

img 1: with guestos = "darwin" & -v -legacy

img 2: with guestos = "darwin-64" & -v -legacy

post-270523-1218922573_thumb.png

post-270523-1218922753_thumb.png

works just great. thanks for your help Donk! would have probably spent another half year trying to get this to work on my own!

looking forward for vmware tools upgrade - loved to have some sound - trying to fix this problem myself =) thanks again

you should follow these instructions above - update your bios firmware from the manufacturer's site, then enable the vt mode at startup (not recommendet after the initial reboot after the update) -btw you should test if your cpu "is capable of running 64-bit virtual machines" with the small application listed on that vmware link if you still havent ofcourse ^^

i am stupid mate ^^ i did these thing jst after i saw these message. my cpu is 64 bit compatible but i am running 32 bit vista as said in the msg and as i said in my older post

And then thing abt Vt i already told in my second last post: my pc doesnt support Vt

Has anyone had any kind of success with sleeping either the guest Leopard machine or host Windows machine? Every combination I've tried results in a guest OS kernel panic. It would be nice not having to shut down Leopard every time I need to put my notebook in standby mode.

Donk: not sure if you are still following this thread. Was wondering how I can keep up with the state of audio in the VM. You mentioned that VMware is working on it. Where can I go to monitor their progress?

Edit: Not sure what has changed, but now it seems to be working if I just close the lid on my notebook and let the host OS sleep. When I resume, my guest Leopard VM just continues running just fine. Let's hope it stays that way. I'd be curious to learn what others experiences are with running their Leopard VM on a notebook.

So is VT-X really needed for this? Won't a Core [2] CPU suffice? =s I tried it on my win xp 32bit desktop, which has a Core 2 CPU, but no VT-X, and I got the same errors as my MBP back on page 5. Sigh.

So is VT-X really needed for this? Won't a Core [2] CPU suffice? =s I tried it on my win xp 32bit desktop, which has a Core 2 CPU, but no VT-X, and I got the same errors as my MBP back on page 5. Sigh.

Intel VT-x or AMD SVM for 64-bit VMware guest is essential. You could try changing the vmx file to run as 32-bit.

guestos = "darwin"

May need -legacy flag when installing

UPDATE:

Looks like it is actually a bug in VMware. Been reported on VMware Fusion 2 beta forum.

Thank you for this!!!

I've managed to fully install OSx, but on first boot my keyboard does not work well: when I type a sequence of letters, it simply repeats subsequences, making it impossible to write anything and continue with boot...

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm using Vista 64 with 4GB on a QuadCore 6600.

UPDATE

After booting, keyboard problem persists... I can't even type an url at Safari...

UPDATE 2

Figured it out: system preferences > keyboard > decrease speed... duhhh :)

Thank you once more for your amazing work!!!

Intel VT-x or AMD SVM for 64-bit VMware guest is essential. You could try changing the vmx file to run as 32-bit.

guestos = "darwin"

May need -legacy flag when installing

UPDATE:

Looks like it is actually a bug in VMware. Been reported on VMware Fusion 2 beta forum.

Haha! I knew there was a problem! I'll just hang out until it gets fixed. :)

For what it's worth, I tried the tutorial and got the Leopard DVD to boot, but as soon as the Apple Logo appeared, the VMWare VM would crash, providing the following error:

Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

After a few hours and LOTS of Google searches, I realized that I had created my own VM in VMWare Beta 6.5, and then tried to load it up with the vmdonk.iso. Being new to VMWare stuff, it wasn't fully clear to me that the .zip file (that contained the vmdonk.iso file) actually contained all of my VMWare virtual machine files.

Once I loaded the VirtualMachine contained in the .zip file provided by Donk, everything worked fine. It's a dumb mistake, but probably others have run into it (googling for '"Virtual machine kernel stack fault" vmware' certainly produces lots of Google hits), so I figured I post my "fix".

Not really.. The funny thing is that the keyboard works until I actually boot into osx.

I see "USB: Initializing 'Virtual Keyboard' backend"

Also:

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Connecting device 0x400000010e0f0003

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Attempt to connect already connected device

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Failed to connect virtual USB mouse (14)

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Connecting device 0x600000010e0f0006

Which looks a bit funny, because the mouse works...

www.xordan.com/vmware.log Is the whole log.. maybe if you can spot something I didn't.

Edit: I plugged in an external keyboard too... vmware picks it up right away... if I try booting with it connected then osx picks it up and says it doesn't recognise it. Then when I try to go through the process for it to recognise it doesn't respond to key presses.

Edit2: I got it working. I edited Darwin.vmx and removed these lines (which I saw were failing for 5 min on startup):

USB:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

This time osx detected my keyboard and allowed me to select the type. Some keys are wrong, but it mostly works now.

I had the same problem, and this fix worked for me to get the keyboard working again. My native OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Hi guys! I'm new to running OS X on VMWare so I hope this is the right thread to ask in so here goes.

How does it run performance wise? How about graphics/resolutions? I've got a XPS M1330 with a T9300, 4GB RAM and the nVidia 8400M GS. Anyone got some experience with the same kind of hardware?

Wanted to thank, Donk for the excellent write-up. Instructions worked perfectly on VMWare Workstation 6.5 Beta on a Vista Ultimate SP1 x86_64 Host w/4GB RAM on a Dell Latitude D630 with a T8300 2.4 GHz Dual-Core CPU. I had to turn "on" VT BIOS extensions in A12/A13 BIOS.

As Xordan noted, the VMWare emulated keyboard is not detected (but the mouse works) as is what happened with me. All you need to do is go into Donk's Darwin.vmx file and remove:

USB:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

Restart the VM and you should be good to go! So similar results as MatthieuGD (changed my display resolution to 1280x800, etc.) Most excellent!

My mouse-cursor doesn't move as smoothly as other VM's so I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that VMWare Tools aren't installed or video-drivers, etc. But it's a minor nitpick as I'm just using these instances as build machines unless someone knows of a way to make the mouse move smoothly under Exclusive Mode.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Kermee

Anybody have any luck getting this to work under Linux?

I followed the guide and it worked perfectly in Windows, but I'd prefer to run it in Linux.

When I'm booting off vmdonk.iso I get the bios read errors (which I see are to be ignored), but I never get to the first boot prompt after that I just get the spinny /,|,\,- sequence.

Donk,

Followed your steps and used your template, things seem to be working nicely. Runnong on Vista SP1 64-bit with VMware Workstation 6.5.0 build 110068. Hardware is an ASUS P5K Deluxe with Intel P35 chips and an Intel 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.

I installed using a OS X Leopard 10.5.0 DMG image converted to ISO (done on my wife's Mac Mini)

After everything installed, I ran System Update which installed the 10.5.4 combo update and some other updates. At restart, I ran the boot with -v -f -x and it got to a certain port and the console showed the following:

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x05, ASC = 0x24, ASCQ = 0x00

That was listed twice, and it just sat there. After a few minutes, the VM rebooted and I tried again with -v -f -x, same thing. Third time around I used no flags at boot and it loaded fine. Any idea what's going on with that?

Also, the "About this Mac" shows the CPU as a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Solo. Is this expected, or should it show Duo?

Donk,

Followed your steps and used your template, things seem to be working nicely. Runnong on Vista SP1 64-bit with VMware Workstation 6.5.0 build 110068. Hardware is an ASUS P5K Deluxe with Intel P35 chips and an Intel 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.

I installed using a OS X Leopard 10.5.0 DMG image converted to ISO (done on my wife's Mac Mini)

After everything installed, I ran System Update which installed the 10.5.4 combo update and some other updates. At restart, I ran the boot with -v -f -x and it got to a certain port and the console showed the following:

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x05, ASC = 0x24, ASCQ = 0x00

That was listed twice, and it just sat there. After a few minutes, the VM rebooted and I tried again with -v -f -x, same thing. Third time around I used no flags at boot and it loaded fine. Any idea what's going on with that?

Also, the "About this Mac" shows the CPU as a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Solo. Is this expected, or should it show Duo?

That is actually the behaviour I observed, and I thought I had posted it, but thread is getting long and I may have forgotten.

The CPU is correct as we are only using one virtual CPU (VCPU) so comes through as a Solo. Don't enable more than one VCPU in VMware or you will see the same issues native installers get on Hackintoshes. Poor performance, bad graphics responses etc.

Has anyone upgraded their VMware Workstation to 6.5 RC1 (Build 110068)? I did over the weekend and I'm getting frequent (at least once-a-day) crashes. I think it may be related to bluetooth. I'm using a D-Link DBT-120 USB adapter (which I use on a Hackintosh system with no trouble at all).

Has anyone upgraded their VMware Workstation to 6.5 RC1 (Build 110068)? I did over the weekend and I'm getting frequent (at least once-a-day) crashes. I think it may be related to bluetooth. I'm using a D-Link DBT-120 USB adapter (which I use on a Hackintosh system with no trouble at all).

Yes and rock solid for me.

Yes and rock solid for me.

Glad to hear it's working well for you. I'll disconnect the BT adapter to see if that helps. I use Skype a lot but it has been troublesome trying to use it in the VM. The BluetoothAudioAgent process frequently hangs for some reason. Typically have to reboot the VM to get BT back.