Modified boot-132 Bootloader

shardie

810 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone! Total Newb here so go easy on me. I am trying to install Mac OS X on my laptop computer using the Boot 132 / Retail DVD method that David Elliot documented here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288

I am running on a Compaq A931NR (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c01393349&dlc=en). Again this is a laptop!

I created a bootable CD from the generic Boot 132 ISO posted here (http://www.mediafire.com/?uwd9dtttjfk)

I have a retail Mac OS X Leopard DVD (10.5.4.) "Family Edition" if that makes any difference.

Here's what happens:

1. I booted from the bootable CD

2. Booted fine to darwin prompt

3. Removed Boot CD and replaced with mac OS X retail DVD

4. Hit enter (uses default option 90) after DVD light goes off

5. OS X install process begins

6. Looks like it is reading the disk

7. Grey Apple splash screen comes up

8. DVD spins some more (3-5 mins)

9. Screen goes blank (no errors)

10. Computer becomes unresponsive and DVD stops running

11. Have to power off after the computer does nothing for 10-15 mins

I've been reading through the forums and notice this happens to a lot of people but I have not seen any solutions posted. Does anyone know why this is happening and if so how I can fix this and (at least) finish the installation process? If so, I'm pretty tech savvy and would be willing to follow posted instructions. Thanks!

hey friends,

i used Modified boot-132 but when i insert my retail disk of Leopard 10.5.6 than it starts darwin for 5-7 seconds than my machine automatically restarts...........any suggestion please.....

my rig is in my signature...........

Hello,

I'm installing Leopard 10.5.6 on a SONY VAIO CR323 Laptop (http://www.sony.com.hk/press/pdf/20080617_01e.pdf) using the 'Noob' Boot132 image.

This laptop has the Intel GL960 chipset + X3100 express graphics.

Boot132 detects as "VESA 3.0 7MB (Intel®GM965/PM965/GL960 Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS)", which seems reasonable.

However when I try to boot I get the following:

- Grey Apple screen with spinner

- Briefly, a blue screen

- Screen goes black then gets corrupt (whole lot of lines/noise), after which the machine stops responding.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? (I've tried plugging in an external monitor, it doesn't seem to help).

Cheers muchly

Eddie

Hello there !

I have almost the same problem like the above.

I try to install on a Sony Vaio TX3XP/B - Chipset 945GMS and Graphics GMA 950 with a Intel Core Solo U1400.

By using "Boot Kabyl Bumby" and typing "-x“ the grey apple loading screen is shown and then a blue screen, which stays there forever ( I waited 20min!) – so nothing happened.

By typing “-v –f” it’s almost the same except the fact that the whole boot process (instead of the grey apple screen) is shown (I think that’s for failure-analysis), but in the end it ends at the blue screen.

If I tried all that with the GA-965P-DS3 it’s almost the same.

I read about successful installations on similar notebooks and even a TX3XP, so I don’t know what’s wrong and I’m asking for some advices or better bootloaders, please ! I added an everest-report, that's all i can tell you about my computer.

Thanks and regards,

Sebastian

EVEREST_Report_Sebastian.txt

OK, i have tried using the the 132 disc that sabr posted, i swap to the leopard (10.5.5 if that matters) it goes for awhile then spits out

Ebios read error : error 0x32 block 16432736 sectors 64

four times one after the other then it says error when starting computer pausing for 5 seconds (or something to that effect)

using the noobs disc it does this as well but gets to the grey screen and after a few seconds a stop or red no smoking sign (without the smoking) appears.

Then it loads the Grey apple screen, takes a very long time to progress not sure if that's normal or not, continues to language setting and install etc, picks up hdd fine passes disc consistency checking goes to install takes ages to load the estimated time then when it does load it it starts at around 40 mins or so then rises to 1 hour 12 at max (varies), then increases speed a bit and subsequently lowers estimated time still progressing at a crawl,

when the bar gets to around a quarter done the screen gets shaded out and tells me i need to restart my computer(which i have been informed is kernel panic),

also when loading boot 132 after the ..... thing it flashed up system config file ' /com.apple.boot.S/Library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist' not found

maybe i burnt the disc wrong or something?

i honestly have no clue any help would be amazing. :)

using a gigabyte GA-965p-s3 rev 1.0

Northbridge: Intel® P965 Express Chipset

Southbridge: Intel® ICH8

Marvell 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller

GIGABYTE SATAII controller

Realtek ALC883 8 Channel Audio Codec

as far as i can tell its identical to sabrs (at least according to gigabytes website)

also when its reading the leo disc its pretty noisy, out of the ordinary for that drive, its a IDE DVD burner if that matters.

EDIT : i tried installing again and this time it got to about 60% i would say before kernel panic so i'm gonna keep trying and hopefully it will make it through.

I am trying to boot the Leopard retail DVD, i boot on boot132 cd, then I change the disc and put the retail dvd on, but I can't boot the retail DVD. Even if I boot with -v flag, it's not working. System reboots at a point, after loading kexts (text on the screen changes the font and then suddenly restarts) Why does it happen?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

well, i spend hours to make Dell D630 a mac, but it has been Dell 82 vs me 0.

Dell D630 specs

GMA965 (x3100)

core 2 duo 2.2ghz

2GByte

two HDDs (one connected to sata, another though the "baydrive" sata through sata to ata baydrive case)

bios version a15 (latest)

i spent about 100usd to get a copy of leo (mac in a box) turned out to be a 10.5.6 (i have a feeling that the subversion 6 might be the cause but the torrent is completely blocked that i cannot try anything else)

so far i tried two different boot images (boot 132 for noob "BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso" and guid-def from hackintoshi) with different bios configurations.

different configurations on the bios have not made any difference

strange behaviors

once i swap to the retail 10.5.6 leo, i could boot (tried -x, -x -f, and -f with -v or without -v)

once the osx installer stried to start the gui, the screen went black (i could regain the screen using a function key (NOT F1, F2 etc) for switching between the external and internal monitor), but the background looked like corrupted with a black arrow which i could move, but nothing futher is going on.

so i connected an external monitor, it turned out that i could see the leo's space background on the external when the screen went to black, but nothing more, just an arrow + background.

when i switched from the external to the internal (built-in laptop monitor), background was corrupted showing black and white stripes (same as without the external monitor)

before going into the gui (before my screen gone black), the messages i saw didn't have anything alarming other than some expected errors like vd# time out or something like that + network errors (no network etc) + mismatch hardware description using default

because i do not have any other installers for the leo, i cannot try other methods.

i suspect that maybe, i need to get a custom boot 132, but i have absolute no idea how (read/search many pages, but gettmore more confusing)

it's rather strange because D630 is rather similar to the older mac book if i remember correctly that i thought it would be rather trouble free; i guess it was my mistake, but i don't know what to do with my 100usd mac in the box disk

can anyone help me out?

many thanks!

Hi all,

I've a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Intel 965 chipset. I'm using the GA-965P-DS3 iso and the retailer disk to boot with -v. However, it reported:

Failed to load extension com.app.driver.AppleACPIPlatform.

Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPlatformExpert"

I'm a newbie. Any one have an idea?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I did it on MSI Neo-F and it works great!

I've been using Elastics p35 iso ...he have some gigabyte mobo, but with the same p35 chipset

...So here is how i have done it...

(first of all, excuse me for bad english)

1. run machine with iso CD

2. when it goes to Darwin just press enter

3. insert retail DVD

4. press enter again (don't type any numbers, hex's, 80's, etc)

5. after instalation restart, insert iso CD again

6. this time, on Darwin prompt press enter, and after that type 80 (for first HD, 81 for second, etc), and enter again

7. i've downloaded kexthelper, and have install:

AppleSMBIOS.kext, JMicronATA.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, SMBIOSEnabler.kext, IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext and dsmos.kext

8. I've install patches for 8600gt (nVinject 4.1) and audio card (alc888)

(in this moment I have restart machine few times, always with iso CD)

9. after that i've downloaded Chameleon for Hard Disk

In Extra Contents folder I've put all kext from step 7, and kext from Extra folder on CD, and install Chameleon

10. pull out iso cd, and restart

I haven't test a lot of stuff, and haven't try any update (i need to backup things first). quartz extreme works, network out of the box, and it seems everything is ok.

EDIT...few days after

after a few attempts to update to 10.5.5, I've realised that after a retail install the best thing to do is to update to latest version you have with combo update. Do that BEFORE instaling any kexts, drivers, etc...after that you can update without patching only with delta update (apple sign -> software update...or download update, but NOT combo)...

I've also had some problems with my card and QE/CI...I've solved it using:

1. 9f23installer ( delete all Ge*.kext, and NV*.kext... before install)

2. after that I did THIS MOD

3. and at last I've install Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 via Pacifist...

wow...I've been resolving this for days, and now I need 30 minutes for full install :-)

works GREAT!

Hi I'm having a problem during the installation with the retail DVD. I get the error: root filesystem is read-only: Skipping kernel link data generation..

Then after 10 minutes or so it goes to the Leopard background with the spinning beach-ball-thing and there (I think) it remains all the time.

Here is an image of the error (sorry for the bad quality btw:))

090426|_152230.jpg

IMAGE LINK

If the image doesn't load or something see the attachments..

post-65247-1240757136_thumb.jpg

Hi I'm having a problem during the installation with the retail DVD. I get the error: root filesystem is read-only: Skipping kernel link data generation..

Then after 10 minutes or so it goes to the Leopard background with the spinning beach-ball-thing and there (I think) it remains all the time.

Here is an image of the error (sorry for the bad quality btw:))

090426|_152230.jpg

IMAGE LINK

If the image doesn't load or something see the attachments..

Anyone?

Need help with Gateway P-6860FX laptop.

I already got most of it to work. but the key components do not want to.

System info: http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/doc...n=P248391014870

I have working:

Video

Audio

Net card

Bluetooth

USB ports

SATA ports (HDDs)

ATA Ports (DVD Drive)

Not working:

Native Keyboard and touchpad (need it the most)

Webcam (light turns on, but pics are white)

Internal Mic (do not care about it)

eSATA port (haven't tested it yet)

system does not turn OFF after shutdown (restarts OK)

Wifi (i was told it will not work yet, no support available at this time)

Anyone Please help me.

I already tried ApplePS2Controller.kext with no luck.

Below is from Vista, but I do not have it installed anymore.

Keyboard:

ACPI\PNP0303\4&19C9D98C&0

Touchpad:

ACPI\SYN0302\4&19C9D98C&0

The keyboard is driving me nuts. Never had this much problems with a keyboard before.

I'm currently using an External USB keyboard and Mouse from Logitech.

lspci.txt

I'm new to all of this....so here goes....

I downloaded BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.zip file from the first page....extracted and burnt the iso.

I already had a Leopard install disc. 10.5 or maybe 10.5.1 ....can't remember....

anyways i booted from the boot disc and then did the swap like the instructions said.

It got to the apple screen (the one with the grey apple sign in the middle) .....and thats about it. No spinning ball, no loading circle thingy......nothing.

what should i do next ? Do I need to edit kexts ? Any help would be appreciated.

Specs :

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad 8200

RAM - 4GB

MOBO - Biostar G31-M7 TE

CHIPSET - Intel P35

VIDEO - Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

NORTHBRIDGE - Intel P35/G33/G31 rev. 10

SOUTHBRIDGE - Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev.A1

NIC - Realtek RTL8102E

MOUSE/KEYBOARD - PS/2

hi sorry but its my first time to ask. any help will be much appreciated. first i tried to boot this modified boot 132 then when select language pop up my my corsur stock up and i couldnt move any help for this i tried so many times but was no avail. Im using Dell Inspiron 1720. Thank you so much.

hi sorry but its my first time to ask. any help will be much appreciated. first i tried to boot this modified boot 132 then when select language pop up my my corsur stock up and i couldnt move any help for this i tried so many times but was no avail. Im using Dell Inspiron 1720. Thank you so much.

On my Gateway P-6860FX, I had to use an external USB Keyboard and Mouse to install OSX.

After that, I had to figure out how to get the Native Keyboard and Touchpad to work.

Try to use a USB device for that.

I used a Logitech Keyboard and Logitech G9 Mouse.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all. I really need some help. I've tried this method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79096 and also used BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.zip, CDBoot_RC2.sh and generic.iso and still get nothing. When I use Kalyway 10.5.2 it says that it's still looking for root device or something simular. When I get it to boot from the retail 10.5.6 dvd I purchased from apple, it comes to the white screen with the apple logo and stays suspended forever. I've been at this a week and am begging for help.

My system specs:

Motherboard - Asus P5KPL-CM

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

Ram - 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400

Video - Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB DDR3 PCI Express

Hard Drives - Western Digital 1TB Sata/300 7200RPM, Western Digital 40GB IDE (Want to install OS to this drive if possible)

Disc Drive - LG GH22NP20 22x DVD+_RW DL IDE (I installed a IDE to SATA conversion block so it reads SATA and boots discs no problem)

I have same problem as shimman.

So far I tried two different boot images ("BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso" and "modified_generic.iso").

Once i swap to the retail 10.5.6 Leo, I can boot (tried -x, -x -f, and -f with -v or without -v). But once the OS installer tries to load the GUI, the screen either freezes or goes black. Sometimes a mouse cursor appears and I can move it, but the background is still otherwise 'stuck'.

So I tried again with an external monitor connected. On the external monitor I can see the Leopard sci-fi backdrop when the internal screen goes to black or freezes, but nothing more (well sometimes a spinning color wheel / beachball of death on external monitor).

When I use laptop function to switch from the external to the internal (built-in laptop monitor), background was corrupted showing black and white stripes (same as without the external monitor)

I don't currently have a running Mac OS installation, only Windows PC, so how can I modify the kexts in the iso without a running Mac OS (because the kext editor is Mac only). Does anyone have an existing modified boot 132 iso that supports Dell Inspiron 1525, or know how to work with kexts on Windows OS?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd appreciate any help.

spec:

-Intel C2Q Q6600

-Abit IP-35 PRO

-4GB Crucial DDR2 ram

-8800GTS 512MB (G92)

-250GB Seagate SATA

-80GB Seagate SATA

-Pioneer SATA DVD drive

I'm trying the Leopard Retail DVD install method w/ the BOOT-132 bootloader.

error I'm getting is this. I get to the grey screen with the apple logo, and after a while the 'Broken Folder' icon (like the one you see on no smoking signs) appears. I've tried changing the SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI instead of IDE, but the result of that is my motherboard completely skips over booting off of the optical drive. I'm a noob, and confused. ANY help is good. :)

*and any information I might've left out that would help you help me, I'll be happy to provide..

THANKS!

EDIT: Now it just restarts BEFORE you see the grey apple logo screen... :s

EDIT: Okay, I'm not expecting a reply anymore, this seems like a neglected thread. ;) I'll just install Windows 7...

I get the same problem, except mine gets to the Aurora and freezes. The Spinning Wheel appears anyway and I can move it. The drive doesn't flash either. I have a P5Q Pro, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 9600GT 512MB, SATA HDD, DVD..........whatever. This is annoying me, Boot-132 seems fantastic as it would allow for natural updates. I enabled FireWire in the BIOS even though my MoBo doesn't have it (as far as I know, but I have the attachment ready to throw in if need be) and I get to the "Choose Your Language" and then motionless. :@ annoying.

Trying to install 10.5 but my PC reboots after I put in the OSX disc and press enter. I am using boot-kabyl-bumby on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P. Any one know how to get it to load without rebooting?