Modified boot-132 Bootloader

shardie

810 posts in this topic

this insures that in some weird case, your kext could get overwritten in future updates..plus it makes your install even more vanilla buy not having any hacked kext on the HD

Ok, but is it necessary to use an USB stick or a CD? Wouldn't it be optimal to load these extra kexts from some special place in the hard disk?

Ok, but is it necessary to use an USB stick or a CD? Wouldn't it be optimal to load these extra kexts from some special place in the hard disk?

1. Install chameleon

2. Put required kexts in special folder /extra/extensions

3. edit info.plist of all kexts in /extra/extensions to include

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

before the final

</dict>
</plist>

4. Replace the file "boot" on your main drive (installed by chameleon) with the file from the dfe package named "boot".

5. REBOOT (anyone remember that show?)

1. Install chameleon

2. Put required kexts in special folder /extra/extensions

3. edit info.plist of all kexts in /extra/extensions to include

<string>Root</string>

before the final

</dict>
</plist>

4. Replace the file "boot" on your main drive (installed by chameleon) with the file from the dfe package named "boot".

5. REBOOT (anyone remember that show?)

just make it clear...

before the final

</dict>
</plist>

---where to put this ?

in info.plist?

thanks.

I am glad it worked !!

~~

Nope I have rev 2.1 Bios F2

Dunno why it is not working in your case ... in addition in Bios I have following setting .. see if urs is same ... I am sure it has nothing to do with Audio ...

Legacy USB: Disabled

USB Keyboard Support: Enabled

USB Mouse Support: Enabled

The Power setting is at S3

~~

I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS TO NEWMACKY ;)

i belive your original instructions were perfect newmacky. the problem was me i had

forgot that i had downloaded Elatics new.iso here and if i booted from it i could not get sound using your method after booting with his original iso it works, so i am not sure what elastic changed.

just make it clear...

before the final

</dict>
 </plist>

---where to put this ?

in info.plist?

thanks.

yes, in each kext's info.plist file if you go to the very end, you should see

</dict>
 </plist>

directly above that is where you add

<string>Root</string>

Just wondering what controls the onboard keyboard and touch pad in a laptop? It is the only thing I am missing from a perfect install (will post it when I get it fixed)

edit- Fixed wow, genius me. I forgot to update the strings to match my kernal version. lastly audio, With the friendly driver sigmatell 9200! if anyone happens to have a working kext for 10.5.4 it would be nice if you could post it seeing as AppleHDA.kext's producers website is down. (Google time I believe)

the one thing i did notice i did need to go through the process reinstalling my audio after the 10.5.4 update

hopefully elastics fire wire audio goes on the fritz so he patches the iso and gets audio working from the boot disk. :D

i also installed NVinstaller .52 for video Q/E and correct VRam 640MB

was there a link somewhere on getting this to boot right off the hard drive so i dont need the cd,i thought i read that somewhere.

@Newmacky

I notice we have very similar hardware...except I have an 8600GT instead of an 8800GT. Do you notice any slowdowns at all with your card/system? I'm noticing a few with mine, and I'm wondering if it's because of the 8600GT or not. If it's not related to the video card, I'd rather now spend the $150 on one :D

I am close to the solution for my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4, but I still have some problems. My situation below :

1) I was able to install the retail DVD (version 10.5)

2) I was able to have a good USB boot pendrive

3) QE/CI still do not work but I am not working on this now.

To have my system running, I had to delete the following kext after the retail DVD installation:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

This kext was giving me the following error:

"Package 0 didn't get an HPET"

so I red elsewhere that the solution was to delete this kext. I deleted it and I solved.

.........now I connected to the internet and I tried to download the various software update. I downloaded them.......but the download of 10.5.4 stopped in the middle. So I tried to download it manually and it was OK.

I run the update but it stopped (I do not remember when exactely). I rebooted the system and it gave me the "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" error, because I found the "AppleIntelCPUPoverManagement.kext" again on the system.

So I manually downloaded the 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 update. The 10.5.1 was installed properly (I saw 10.5.1 in the leo version so the update was ok). I then tried to update to 10.5.2 but the installation stopped near the middle and I had a system freeze..........I do not know why!

So my question is : maybe some kext in the update gave me a not stable system so it freezes. I can I know which kext is responsable of that ? Since I deleted some kexts........then I have them again with the updates. Is there a way to avoid the installation of these kexts ?

..........I need the system update (mostly Apple graphics update) to have my 8800GT video card running.....or there is a way without this apple update ?

Thanks

@overflow1972

For me, I had to perform the combo update BEFORE i modified any kexts inside Extensions. I have a feeling the updater stalls because it's trying to find kexts that are no longer there

Since I'm on the topic already: If this is the case, what does this mean for future updates for 10.5 if certain kexts have been removed/modified from the Extensions folder?

for overflow:

The freezing is not due to your specific installation, even official mac users are having problems with freezing during this update, if it happens more then twice I suggest reinstalling retail, That is what I had to do to get mine to work. I updated it right after installing chameleon and copying all my kexts into my /harddrive/extra/extensions folder. no hangs and a quick install.

edit-success! near perfect 10.5.4 installation, only thing not working perfectly - Audio which sucks, greatly.

by the way if anyone would happen to have a working sigmatel 92xx kext for 10.5.4 it would be much appreciated. :) that or an applehda and hdaenabler for 10.5.4 because the website is down :)

edit - I apologize for my earlier uninformative posts i was in the middle of editing my billions of kexts to make a true generic ISO which has been put on hold unfortunately, at least until I can finish getting my retail up to the way i want it.

Thanks you all for your reply.

The meaning of boot-132 is to have an original installation without to add or to delete kexts on the hard disk. Do you agree ?

As I already said , in my case I had to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, because it gave me the error:

"Package 0 didn't find a HPET.."

By deleting this kext, I solved the problem, but maybe, the update installer hangs because it did not find this kext.

I now found that by using the "IntelCPUMdisabler.kext", you can leave the kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on the system.

Do you agree ?

I do not have "IntelCPUMdisabler.kext" on my usb boot, so I have to add it.

I also found that on my usb I have not the SMBIOSEnabler.kext ? What is this kext used for ?

I found that maybe this kext will allow you to use the original AppleSMBIOS ?

So what will happen if I use the original AppleSMBIOS instead of a patched one ?

Thanks

Thanks you all for your reply.

The meaning of boot-132 is to have an original installation without to add or to delete kexts on the hard disk. Do you agree ?

As I already said , in my case I had to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, because it gave me the error:

"Package 0 didn't find a HPET.."

By deleting this kext, I solved the problem, but maybe, the update installer hangs because it did not find this kext.

I now found that by using the "IntelCPUMdisabler.kext", you can leave the kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on the system.

Do you agree ?

I do not have "IntelCPUMdisabler.kext" on my usb boot, so I have to add it.

I also found that on my usb I have not the SMBIOSEnabler.kext ? What is this kext used for ?

I found that maybe this kext will allow you to use the original AppleSMBIOS ?

So what will happen if I use the original AppleSMBIOS instead of a patched one ?

Thanks

From what I understand the patched ones are for people that want their computers to be recognized in certain ways, yes you could use the original applesmbios instead of a patched one I haven't noted any adverse effects from it.

as for the power management I am unfamiliar with, but I do recall reading something that said that it fixed that error, regardless you might have to test it out as I am unsure whether or not it fixes it.

I agree The purpose of the boot-132 was to leave OS X Untouched and installing chameleon still does that. The actual retail reads kexts from /system/library/extensions while chameleon reads from /root/extra/extensions, which is basically like having a "Integrated CD booter" on your hard drive as the both operate in the same way.

For QE/CI support make sure you have gone in to the plugins folder of your kexts (and edited them as well) if you want to get the full emulation, This is a basic rule I used when I made mine,

-check if they have dependencies

Really easy just look into the plist file near the bottom and see if it names any other extensions, ie. com.apple.IONetworkingFamily which would indicate that it relied on IONetworkingFamily.kext to run.

-many kexts contain a plugins folder with other kexts in it make sure they boot on load as well. this is probably why you are unable to get QE/CI to work

-are you clearing your extension cache each time you install something new (otherwise changes will not occur)

SMBIOSEnabler.kext is self explanatory. it enables the smbios to be read correctly and also renames/names a few strings(from what i have seen in it's plist file)

plist files give away what a kext does, don't forget that as it is helpful for solving problems

Thanks for your very usefull explanation. I want to ask you something about my geforce 8800GT 512MB.

When I had Leo4all V3, my video card was perfect, and I had QE/CI enabled and a resolution of 1280*1024.

The kext I had on the system were :

nvinjet for 512MB cards

geforce.kext

nvdaresman.kext

nvdanv50.kext

Inside the info.plist of these kext I added 061110de (the ID of my video card). THe video card was perfect.

Now I already found geforce.kext, nvdaresman.kext and nvdanv50.kext on the system. Do I need to modify the info.plist to add the id of my video card ?

Do I need to add nvinject or nvkush on the boot cd or it is better to install it on the hard disk ?

There is file named "Leopard graphics update 1.0"but it needs 10.5.2

My retail dvd is 10.5 (not 10.5.2). Do I need to install this update or I can have the 8800gt working without it ?

Thanks

Thanks for your very usefull explanation. I want to ask you something about my geforce 8800GT 512MB.

When I had Leo4all V3, my video card was perfect, and I had QE/CI enabled and a resolution of 1280*1024.

nvinjet for 512MB cards

geforce.kext

nvdaresman.kext

nvdanv50.kext

Inside the info.plist of these kext I added 061110de (the ID of my video card). THe video card was perfect.

Now I already found geforce.kext, nvdaresman.kext and nvdanv50.kext on the system. Do I need to modify the info.plist to add the id of my video card ?

Do I need to add nvinject or nvkush on the boot cd or it is better to install it on the hard disk ?

My retail dvd is 10.5 (not 10.5.2). Do I need to install this update or I can have the 8800gt working without it ?

Thanks

Have you tried using EFI Studio to add emulation through EFI instead of an injector? That's what I went over to and it's worked flawlessly.

I to am having some issues i have a dell xps m1330 and i to downloaded the generic.iso

i follow the instructions but i always seem to get stock at the apple screen then it just freezez,

how can i get this to work thanks

Generic ISO does not actually boot all systems, for that you need to add custom kexts in order to boot the retail DvD.

also did you boot the retail dvd with -f -v?

for overflow,

add nvinject 512MB to your system as well and you should get QE/IC enabled, EVERY plist has to be edited if you want it to work with the boot-132 method

Generic ISO does not actually boot all systems, for that you need to add custom kexts in order to boot the retail DvD.

also did you boot the retail dvd with -f -v?

for overflow,

add nvinject 512MB to your system as well and you should get QE/IC enabled, EVERY plist has to be edited if you want it to work with the boot-132 method

I did inject the dell files but i am not sure if i did it right, can someone plz make a iso with DellPackage_0.34e plz so that i can boot with

my retail cd.. thanks

nvinjet for 512MB cards

geforce.kext

nvdaresman.kext

nvdanv50.kext

Thanks

make sure you use the kexts from 10.5.2, as i believe support for the 8800gt was only added in this version.

i have a question...

ok, put the CD of Boot-132 and Install Leopard.. ok all is well.. but if i install Chameleon EFI.,..

can i still using the software update? or not?