GeForce 200 series support

EGOvoruhk

638 posts in this topic

I have a GTX 295 Co Op and on a Gigabyte X85 UD5 MB with a core I7 295 Hackintosh just built and I was trying to follow the steps to get the Nvidia driver working. One of the first problems I encountered was the Nvidia driver package would not install beacause it said I already had current driver solution in place. I opened the package and installed the individual file packages contained within. Then I proceeded with the rest of the steps at first making the mistake of rebooting early then attempting to start over. In my desperation I also tried the NVDarwin ktext.

My question is how would I go about starting over from scratch and two how can I get the intial NVDriver to install without complaining?

PS I spent over four hours just trying to track down the two files, the rapid share links didn't seem to work and I'm so new to irc I didn't know how to configure the server to connect to. :D

I have a GTX 295 Co Op and on a Gigabyte X85 UD5 MB with a core I7 295 Hackintosh just built and I was trying to follow the steps to get the Nvidia driver working. One of the first problems I encountered was the Nvidia driver package would not install beacause it said I already had current driver solution in place. I opened the package and installed the individual file packages contained within. Then I proceeded with the rest of the steps at first making the mistake of rebooting early then attempting to start over. In my desperation I also tried the NVDarwin ktext.

My question is how would I go about starting over from scratch and two how can I get the intial NVDriver to install without complaining?

PS I spent over four hours just trying to track down the two files, the rapid share links didn't seem to work and I'm so new to irc I didn't know how to configure the server to connect to. :(

i have a question as i have the exact same setup as you, i am almost done the build and will be ready to insatll SL.

i was wondering how do you install osx and the kext and everything else if i dont have the card install?

i mean i am running 295 coop with the ga ex58ud5, is ther a way to boot in safe mode to change the stuff? i am kinda wondering how it will be when i first install it...

a bit nervous as it seem very complicated and i dont have another card than the gtx 295...

if anyone can clarified this would be nice...

Sweet! That's really exciting. Glad I could help.

IT WORKED! thanks for all of the help guys. I think im starting to get all this plist stuff and understand how it all works..thanks again for all your help.

now I can play HD video, use Iwork and itunes does not have any mouse lag.

thanks!

The card will work but you will be severly limited, only one resoultion is allowed on my 1080pi Samsung monitor and it is less than the native resolution. If you are doing an installation from a retail image on a USB key it should go fine. The ktext thing got me at first too, the easist method to install ktext files I have found was to get the Ktextutil and drag the actual ktext onto the utility. If you are doing it manually you will have to go through several steps. Be careful not to install ktexts that are not correct for your system especially things like NVInjector.

The card will work but you will be severly limited, only one resoultion is allowed on my 1080pi Samsung monitor and it is less than the native resolution. If you are doing an installation from a retail image on a USB key it should go fine. The ktext thing got me at first too, the easist method to install ktext files I have found was to get the Ktextutil and drag the actual ktext onto the utility. If you are doing it manually you will have to go through several steps. Be careful not to install ktexts that are not correct for your system especially things like NVInjector.

i see... thanks..

is there a site will all the kexts that i might need?

another question is about efi string...any light on how to work it, just simple basic of it?

abit confuse there too...

i see... thanks..

is there a site will all the kexts that i might need?

another question is about efi string...any light on how to work it, just simple basic of it?

abit confuse there too...

Kexts.com is good, but the packages .pkg for the graphic card are on rapidshare, You will have to track down the link, you may have to go to the irc posted earlier to track down the nvidia driver. Good luck, it's a bit of a pain if you have never used irc. I'd check out tutorials and such on this site and others google is your friend.

Finally back to my original question. I deleted the darwin kext and repaired the permissions, but still don't know how I can start over with the steps to get the Nvidia 295 working. I need to know how to solve the problem of the nvidia driver package complaining that I already have a driver solution in place. Will I be able to just overwrite the files on my second attempt, because I don't know what I need to delete there. The only other difficulty I might have is that I potentially have the wrong file for the injector(?) and I may not have the correct version for the driver. I can check this though.

I'm not using a ktext, but I goofed up on the install and need to start over. I did try using NVdarwin but that did not work.

Update:

I figured out what I needed to delete to start over but am running into the same problem I ran into last time

The NVIDIA Retail Mac Driver...mpkg is complaining that I do not need to upgrade my driver and so it will not install. Is there any way I can force this?

Hi!

I just installed a gtx260 under snow leopard using EFI strings. The system recognizes it right, CI/QE, also opencl shows it as a valid device. The thing is it feels like its not using all the power. Is there a way to test it?

Also, when I wake up the computer from sleep, the fan revs up and won't slowdown.

Any ideas? Thank you

Did you have any problems installing the Nvidia Driver package, when ever I try it it says I have a suitable driver already installed.

Hi!

I just installed a gtx260 under snow leopard using EFI strings. The system recognizes it right, CI/QE, also opencl shows it as a valid device. The thing is it feels like its not using all the power. Is there a way to test it?

Also, when I wake up the computer from sleep, the fan revs up and won't slowdown.

Any ideas? Thank you

I no longer have the link, I think I got the link from ichat. If you want you can contact via ichat (I haven't really used ichat) and I can send you the file, but I'll have to boot into SL, I have a tri boot machine.

I think that driver is for Leopard.

Post me the link, though. I want to test it.

Hi!

I'm trying to make OSX work on my Packard Bell Easynote TJ65, which has the mentioned Nvidia Geforce GT240M, but I have some problems.

With Leopard, without installing any video driver, it boots without problems, of course not considering the resolution stuck at 1024x768 and the lack of hardware acceleration; instead, installing NVinjetc, NVDarwin, Natit, Titan (of course one at a time), it doesn't start at all, but, if I start with -v, it stops at some lines talking about "AppleDecrypt" (lines which appear also without installing the drivers).

With Snow Leopard, without installing anything it boots, with resolution stuck at 1024x768 and without hardware acceleration; installing Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards taken from Kexts.com (and mentioned on netkas) which should be specific for my card, doesn't change anything. With PCEFI and putting in the com.apple.Boot.plist that is in /Extra the lines

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key> 
	<string>Yes</string>

It boots, arrives at the desktop, resolution is fine (1366x768), it seems to have hardware acceleration active (Finder bar is semi-transparent), the mouse moves perfectly, but it's so slow to be unusable (i.e., if I click on a file, it takes more than a minute before it gets highlighted).

Lastly, always with PCEFI, taking from EFISTUDIO the string for any of the videocards listed and putting it in the right place always in the com.apple.Boot.plist that is in /Extra, when I boot I have: fine resolution (1366x768), though I can't change it, Finder bar is not transparent, everything works, but in System Profiler it doesn't say anything about Core Image nor Quartz Engine.

Any ideas?

Did you have any problems installing the Nvidia Driver package, when ever I try it it says I have a suitable driver already installed.

I have seen two versions, one from eVGA and a hacked NVIDIA Retail. To install the eVGA versions just use Pacifist to open the packages.

I used gfxutil and EFIstudio to add strings for my GTX 260. The ROM, vendor, and RAM show up in the profile now, but the chipset is listed as an ATI Radeon HD 4890! I *never* indicated that I was running any such thing. I tried getting rid of every ATI driver on here. My system is seriously confused!

Under PCI cards, it shows up as a Radeon 4890 - ATY,Motmot framebuffer. But ROM revision nVidia GeForce GTX 260 OpenGL Engine [EFI]. IORegistryExplorer just sees a Motmot framebuffer. My full 1792 MB of VRAM are displayed in the profiler, but when I try to install Logic it complains that I have 0MB!

Can somebody please tell me how to track down this problem? Where is this 4890 nonsense coming from?

TIA

I used gfxutil and EFIstudio to add strings for my GTX 260. The ROM, vendor, and RAM show up in the profile now, but the chipset is listed as an ATI Radeon HD 4890!

I should mention that I an running Hazard's 10.6.2 on a Dell XPS 9000. The 260 is my only video card.

Way earlier in this thread the describe installing a nvidia driver (not a ktext enabler) then installing netkas's enabler the setting the efi string

Apparently this has worked for many though I seem to have difficulty installing the driver. You will have to search for the file links. Good luck.

Hi!

I'm trying to make OSX work on my Packard Bell Easynote TJ65, which has the mentioned Nvidia Geforce GT240M, but I have some problems.

With Leopard, without installing any video driver, it boots without problems, of course not considering the resolution stuck at 1024x768 and the lack of hardware acceleration; instead, installing NVinjetc, NVDarwin, Natit, Titan (of course one at a time), it doesn't start at all, but, if I start with -v, it stops at some lines talking about "AppleDecrypt" (lines which appear also without installing the drivers).

With Snow Leopard, without installing anything it boots, with resolution stuck at 1024x768 and without hardware acceleration; installing Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards taken from Kexts.com (and mentioned on netkas) which should be specific for my card, doesn't change anything. With PCEFI and putting in the com.apple.Boot.plist that is in /Extra the lines

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key> 
	 <string>Yes</string>

It boots, arrives at the desktop, resolution is fine (1366x768), it seems to have hardware acceleration active (Finder bar is semi-transparent), the mouse moves perfectly, but it's so slow to be unusable (i.e., if I click on a file, it takes more than a minute before it gets highlighted).

Lastly, always with PCEFI, taking from EFISTUDIO the string for any of the videocards listed and putting it in the right place always in the com.apple.Boot.plist that is in /Extra, when I boot I have: fine resolution (1366x768), though I can't change it, Finder bar is not transparent, everything works, but in System Profiler it doesn't say anything about Core Image nor Quartz Engine.

Any ideas?

Did you try the link given in the .hu irc channel?

I could probably send it to you via skype if it's on my USB stick, don't really feel like booting into SL atm

Just checked contact me via skype search for tinspinner and give me a message related to the driver so I know it's not spam and I'll send it to you.

can anyone upload the driver package again or tell me where i can download?

the rapidshare link in http://netkas.org/?p=104 is not working anymore...

Hi!

I have problem with g201M on g550 lenovo... (i must boot in safe mode when i'm using enabler to get card to work)

is there solution for this card?

EDIT: BEST OF ALL... works perfect with iatkos 10.5.7 (GT200 EVGA on DVD bundle and NVinject by Afadlian) included with HDMI out =)

but i dont know what to do to make it right on Snow Leopard 8) ....

SOLVED: Install 10.6.2 and just put YES for graphic enabler in com.apple.boot... and your 210M will shine like star =)

Hello all.

I have read the whole post because I have a laptop with a nvidia 240m and I want it working.

I have some questions.

All I have to do is: delete the nvidia existing kexts after insalling snow leopard, install the injector and then the 200 driver. Is it correct?

And I have readen of other way using EFI strings, but I don't understand how to do it...

Which is the best way?

Thanks and sorry for my english

I am sorry guys for the newbie question but i really really need some help.

I have a GA-EP43 motherboard, with a Gigabyte GT220 Card on Ideneb 10.5.8. I can not seem to get the graphics card or sound working, and also after doing the combo update, scrolling websites shows messed up text.

Please anyone HELP!!