OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'd like to share my first impression after 10 days of use of my Wind under OSX.

Pros:

Slick little toy

OSX reactive and smooth

small form factor lightweight

Every software are working it's just great :D

Cons:

No wifi (waiting for my dell 1490)

No mic

Weird Bluetooth behavior for some reason I can't pair correctly my SE HBH-35 (I was thinking about working my way around for skype with the headset but no...)

Sometimes my USB drives (1TB WD and 500Gb WD) are not mounting. Even if they are plugged before boot.

Can't get the "two finger" trackpad to work...

Last thing, when i'll get my mini pcie Dell, will I have to reinstall special drivers or can I use pacifist to extract the one from MSIWINDOSX86??

I'm running short on time as I'm leaving Europe and I'd like to avoid a complete re-install ;)

Overall I'm quite satisfied with this, but still lack few features (I sold my iMac Alu 2,4 so it's quite a shock for me)

Cheers

Regarding the GMA950 and 1920x1200 I doubt it, might be too much for the few megs available to handle...

fonkdyfresh what chip use your dell 1490?

I'm waiting for it in the mail, I hope it will arrive tomorrow.

I'll post back once I get it, I just hope it's a V04 (the last revision i beleive)

EDIT:

I've got it this morning, opened the lil' one install the RAM and the wifi, (put some tape) worked as advertised!!!

Rev .05

Hello Guys,

I've been following this thread religiously for the last month and a half or so. I may have missed a post or two, but has anyone written a guide to install osx on a wind via the retail dvd? I have done something similar with my tower and it involved patching the retail dvd.

Regarding the GMA950 and 1920x1200 I doubt it, might be too much for the few megs available to handle...

I've been researching the GMA950 and it is able to take up to 80MB of system memory for graphical purposes. If i'm not mistaken, the original Macbook had this GPU, and it could manage 1920x1200 with the lid closed. Besides, to display 1920x1200 would only use 32MB of memory at 32-bit colour.

The reason i keep asking is because i start university in September, and i wanted to grab a netbook that i could use around campus, but when i get back to my dorm i could hook back up to my 24" monitor, so my eyes aren't strained by looking at a small screen 24x7.

If anyone has a display that can reach this res, and a wind, let me know! :)

hi dudes,

my hackintosh is nearly perect but :

I've got xp on 1 partition leopard on another one and receover on a third one, at the startup here I've got :

1_Windows XP

2_osx86

---->if I choose osx86 then, I've got the following choice :

a)boot

b)recover

c)leopard--> and I've got to press c to make leopard booting ... it's boring...

is there a way to put leopart in 1) and xp in 2) (not need of a, b or c) ?

thanks

Last thing, when i'll get my mini pcie Dell, will I have to reinstall special drivers or can I use pacifist to extract the one from MSIWINDOSX86??

I'm running short on time as I'm leaving Europe and I'd like to avoid a complete re-install

The 1490 is using a Broadcom, that's why OSX sees it as a real Airport card. You won't have to change anything to get it to work in Leopard. Just remove the original, put some sticky tape over the metal bit that was used to secure the stock wifi card, boot and voilà! Airport is available. Just activate it in System Preferences and surf the web.

The 1490 is using a Broadcom, that's why OSX sees it as a real Airport card. You won't have to change anything to get it to work in Leopard. Just remove the original, put some sticky tape over the metal bit that was used to secure the stock wifi card, boot and voilà! Airport is available. Just activate it in System Preferences and surf the web.

Just did it B)

I wasn't sure because I've read people had troubles.

Work like a charm, Seen as Airport but Third Party wireless in pref system. Works perfectly B)

My Wind does some operation on its disk every 30Seconds. I cant understand what causes it. I switched of Spotlight, disabled QuickSilver, made a new user, but I just cant figure it out.

Any suggestions??

I think it's parking the drive after only a few seconds of inactivity, which is the clicking noise that you hear. That's what it sounds like to me. In theory, you could turn this off in the Energy Saver properties under System Preferences (make sure Battery is selected as the power source).

Strange enough, this doesn't seem to take effect on mine though, if it's running on battery it still keeps doing that every 30 secs or so. But on mains it never seems to do it Edit: No, it also does it then, just not as often. Maybe the power saving in the BIOS is overriding this setting?

I may have missed a post or two, but has anyone written a guide to install osx on a wind via the retail dvd? I have done something similar with my tower and it involved patching the retail dvd.

Yes, I found a tutorial here.

I used the custom disk though, a lot easier! Many thanks to the guys who made it!

Can someone please make a little video showin' the wi-fi card change??

I think a video like that would help a lot of people around here...

Simply remove the screws, then gently slide a credit card (or other type of card) on the side and lift up!

If you start from the back and go clockwise you won't have problems with the bottom case

http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-to/msi-wind-ram.aspx

The WiFi card is held with one screw,

1 Unscrew it,

2 Pull out the wifi module horizontally

3 Put a piece of tape on the bottom screw holder (in order not to have contact that could damage the new card)

4 Then replace with your brand new card (mine is Dell 1490)

5 I did not tighten the screw that hard, but it is secure now.

Seriously it is not that hard, be gentle, and everything will be fine, you'll have the best Netbook ever under OSX!

Later

I just noticed this today. Most ppl have issues, with the display switching resolutions randomly between 800x600 and 1024x600. I have realized that this is due to the EDID of the display seeming to change.

This also makes OSX think, we are randomly changing attached monitors and thus also causes, two seperate Wallpaper preferences.

Hey guys,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was just about to order a Wind when I came across this:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?threadid=900039

Only around $360! The specs look very similar. Does anyone see a reason why I shouldn't try this out?

Thanks.

EDIT: As a side note, it looks like this comes with the X4500 graphics chipset, which could be excellent news since it seems Apple will be using this chipset in some of its upcoming notebooks.

Hey guys,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was just about to order a Wind when I came across this:

Only around $360! The specs look very similar. Does anyone see a reason why I shouldn't try this out?

Thanks.

EDIT: As a side note, it looks like this comes with the X4500 graphics chipset, which could be excellent news since it seems Apple will be using this chipset in some of its upcoming notebooks.

Look similar, but i guess you are willing to try??

Why not, if it shows up that it's better than my wind I'll follow :(

Hey guys,

Thanks.

I actually picked a white one up and started a thread about it yesterday... here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry862976

there is some speculation that it might have a GMA 950 chipset in there which isn't bad news.. just means it will be compatible for sure... from what I can tell this thing will be 100% compatible out of the box!? its got a broadcom wifi card

EDIT: I'm also not trying to hijack this thread... I came over because I was excited to see what the experience was of ppl puting osx on other netbooks... that being said its probably not a bad idea to keep ideapad speculation in its own thread

Hello All,

I was just wondering if anybody has attempted to use the PC EFI pluggable strings for both video and audio. PC EFI v8.0 will load the appropriate data in the device tree thereby forgoing the need to use the natit.kext. You can find the video strings here. As for the audio - don't know.

Regards.

hello, someone can help me?

I've installed kalyway 10.5.2, updated to 10.5.3 with combo update and later at 10.5.4 with apple update on-line.

So coolbook display always the same freq. of 1066mhz.

If i check the model of the notebook into the System prifile it showing macbook air with the smbios extracted from the Wind U100 Distro.

If i use the standard smbios28 into the system profile it showing macbook (or iMac, i don't remeber) but if i make the 'grep' into the terminal it responding U100, not the same of system profiler.

When i used the smbios from U100 distro and appear like mabook air, also with the 'grep' i had the same.

So how i can make this machine appear a standard macbook compatible with coolbook??!?!?

@imadosser

I have tried that on Windows, and it actually just ends up ruining the display as the text becomes crappy. Not really worth it at all.

hi dudes

Anyway so far I get a boot option for XP / OSX - both work.

Only when I click OSX - I get another boot loader with 3 options and have to choose leopard

Is there a way to have only 2 choices right at the beginning ?

1) WIndows XP

2) Leopard ?

thanks

hey guys,

trying to get coolbook running. i have version 2.8 semi-working. it detects the defaults speeds but does not throttle at all. stays at the default 1596Mhz speed all the time. installed osx via Paul's guide and installed his driver pack after the kalyway 10.5.2 install and updates. noticed that some people installed the my_kexts.zip pack from here. installed it. now i get

ioreg -l | grep prod

| "product-name" = <"MacBook2,1">

should be a supported mac now. any thoughts here?

thanks

Another problem:

Btw, this is an install via the retail leopard dvd.

I am trying to use the ACPIBattery.kext from here as it is suppose to be used with vanilla ACPI and displays accurate info. But when I do install it with the default AppleACPIPlatform.kext from either (10.5.4/10.5.1) I lose keyboard and mouse. When I put back the modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext that gives me keyboard and mouse I then lose the battery icon!

I can reinstalled the PowerManagement_bundle_powermanagement as found on the 10.5.2 kalyway dvd which installs the bundle as well as the AppleACPIPlatform.kext which restores keyboard and mouse. I do see the battery icon but when I click the icon I don't see a time remaining only "Calculating...remaining" until next reboot. ACPIBattery.kext is loaded but no time remaining is displayed.

Any help here would be certainly appreciated.

Thanks