OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

For about $200 more, and get a "CyberpowerPC Gamer Xplorer X5-2910". Probably a better laptop. I'm very interested in seeing if anyone try to do on this one, too. (Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66G, 4G DDR2 667, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB. Just like a real mac)
Doubtless that is a nice machine but it is a full sized laptop with a 15" screen that probably weighs more than 2.5Kg/5.5lbs so it's not really comparable to a Wind with a 10" screen that weighs just 1.1Kg/2.4lbs.

As the thread is really long: i think someone should make an sticky with install instructions, kexts what work and what doesn't work...

:unsure:

Doubtless that is a nice machine but it is a full sized laptop with a 15" screen that probably weighs more than 2.5Kg/5.5lbs so it's not really comparable to a Wind with a 10" screen that weighs just 1.1Kg/2.4lbs.

:rolleyes:

As the thread is really long: i think someone should make an sticky with install instructions, kexts what work and what doesn't work...

hope someone is making such a thread...

ill get my wind tomorrow and i like to install leopard only once... so it would be perfect to install it with the 132-Boot to get all updates without problems...

THX in advance!

Bye

I installed retail than kamikazes driver package straight after all updates from software update in customize I checked Chameleon EFI and now after restart it still needs CD with Boot132 in...and its booting ...well 10 minutes now...I had to boot with my boot132 device...any advice ?

Hmm it completely freezed still booting nothing happened reinstalling OSX...omg

I installed retail than kamikazes driver package straight after all updates from software update in customize I checked Chameleon EFI and now after restart it still needs CD with Boot132 in...and its booting ...well 10 minutes now...I had to boot with my boot132 device...any advice ?
You need to install the Boot132 files to your hard disk. It's pretty straightforwad to do it by hand by luckily for us all kalyway created a nice little application to do all the fiddly work for us

Download http://tinyurl.com/6je4eh

Copy the contents of your "Extra" folder to "Extra Contents" directory

Run Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg and install everything to your hard disk

Now you should have no need to use CD to boot your Wind

OK please once more I really d like to install Kamikazes package do I understand it right doing it this way ?

1) Install RETAIL OSX with BOOT132 CD on fresh formatted disk (I use generic.iso it doesnt really matter)

2) Once installed update everything I can....to 10.5.5 and other updates

3) When up to date install Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg from http://tinyurl.com/6je4eh as nigelbb posted above

4) After Restart it should boot without the CD

5) Install Kamikazes wonderful package restart and all done ?Should I select Chameleon EFI in that installer ?

I did it this way but I didnt install the point 3) but just kamikazes package then It didnt boot neither with boot132 CD nor without it..completely freezed I would say..

Please confirm ...or tell how did you install it with kamikazes package...

THANKS AND LOOKING FORWARD

OK please once more I really d like to install Kamikazes package do I understand it right doing it this way ?

1) Install RETAIL OSX with BOOT132 CD on fresh formatted disk (I use generic.iso it doesnt really matter)

2) Once installed update everything I can....to 10.5.5 and other updates

3) When up to date install Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg from http://tinyurl.com/6je4eh as nigelbb posted above

4) After Restart it should boot without the CD

5) Install Kamikazes wonderful package restart and all done ?Should I select Chameleon EFI in that installer ?

I think that should work just fine.

I didn't do it quite that way but used an external USB hard disk & first installed the MSIWinosx86 distro to that disk. I then booted from the USB disk & did the retail install onto the Wind's internal disk. Next I did all the updates to 10.5.5, installed Chameleon & DFE with the application that I linked & made sure that the Extra/Extensions directory on the internal disk contained:(AppleACPIPlatform.kext,AppleDecrypt.kext,ApplePS2Controller.kext,Appl

SMBIOSEFI.kext,Disabler.kext) Finally I booted from the internal disk & installed kamikaze's package but without Chameleon, Coolbook or thre MSIWind_IDE package.

I didn't do it quite that way but used an external USB hard disk & first installed the MSIWinosx86 distro to that disk. I then booted from the USB disk & did the retail install onto the Wind's internal disk. Next I did all the updates to 10.5.5, installed Chameleon & DFE with the application that I linked & made sure that the Extra/Extensions directory on the internal disk contained:(AppleACPIPlatform.kext,AppleDecrypt.kext,ApplePS2Controller.kext,Appl

SMBIOSEFI.kext,Disabler.kext) Finally I booted from the internal disk & installed kamikaze's package but without Chameleon, Coolbook or thre MSIWind_IDE package.

I dont understand why the folder has to contain these kexts , should I download them somewhere?Anyway these kexts will be installed with Kamikazes pack...

EDIT: I understand now these kexts appear when you mount Chameleon you provided....thanks anyway will post results...soon

Hi,

Hum... My pkg deploys to /System/Extensions, so my guess is that you are missing parts of the benefits behind Boot-123 which allows to load ext from a different folder (/extra/extensions).

Also, it looks like your /extra/extensions is missing the GMA950 drivers which is kind of weird and tends to confirm that you have an hybrid install : half boot 123, half kext replacements.

I personally don't run boot 123, haven't found time to play with it yet. My recommendation if you want to take that route is to extract the kext(s) from my pkg and work from there. Note that the IDE kext are not required, they only add all the ICHx ids. That's because I use the same pkg for my other desktop system.

Cheers,

Oh my god...could anyone post some better guide Im beeing confused now....

1) Install RETAIL OSX with BOOT-132 CD on fresh formatted disk -generic.iso (GUID Partition)

2) Once installed update everything....to 10.5.5 and other updates.

3) When up to date open Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.zip

4) Mount the image Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg

5) Copy kexts (AppleACPIPlatform.kext,AppleDecrypt.kext,ApplePS2Controller.kext,AppleSMBIOSEFI

kext,Disabler.kext) from Extra/Extensions to

Extra COntents folder which appear....

6) Install Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg

7) Restart....should boot without CD

8) Install Kamikazes Package deselect coolbook,chameleon,optional IDE...next restart...

9) Well now its finished and should work...

I DONT UNDERSTAND point 5) what kexts from what folder....where..... anybody could explain ?

Oh my god...could anyone post some better guide Im beeing confused now....

1) Install RETAIL OSX with BOOT-132 CD on fresh formatted disk -generic.iso (GUID Partition)

3) When up to date open Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.zip

5) Copy kexts (AppleACPIPlatform.kext,AppleDecrypt.kext,ApplePS2Controller.kext,AppleSMBIOSEFI

kext,Disabler.kext) from Extra/Extensions to

Extra COntents folder which appear....

Dude,

When you open Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg, there is a Extra COntents folder.

The installer on the dmg takes this folders and copies it to /extra/extensions

At this point it's just a matter of figuring out which kext should be deployed for the wind.

And you can get those from my previous posts (using Pacifist to extract the kext without deploying)

3) When up to date opened Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.zip

5) Copied the kexts with Pacifist from Kamikazes package

6) Inserted them to Extra Contents folder then installed Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg

7) Reboot

KERNEL PANIC....nothing works safe boot alsou doesnt work..

DAMN

Can anyone do and confirm some method ??? Finally ?step by step please

Just make it nice & simple & check that you can boot succesfully from the hard disk after you have installed the Chameleon DFE Boot132 package. For the moment forget about Apple updates or kamikaze's package. You need to make sure that the minimal kexts necessary to boot the retail install are copied to /Extras/Extensions. In my case the five listed above or you could just copy the contents of Extras from your boot CD. Once you can boot from the hard disk OK then you can worry about getting the sound working or the video at 1024x600.

The point about using a combined Boot132 & kext replacement approach is so that you can always boot the system whatever updates you load from Apple. You just use the minimum kexts to be able to safely boot from the hard disk. In any case not all kexts can be loaded using Boot132 e.g. the ApplaAzaliaAudio.kext required for sound & using the modifed com.apple.Boot.plist necessary to load EFI strings to get 1024x600 video is not easily accomplished with Boot132.

Just make it nice & simple & check that you can boot succesfully from the hard disk after you have installed the Chameleon DFE Boot132 package. For the moment forget about Apple updates or kamikaze's package. You need to make sure that the minimal kexts necessary to boot the retail install are copied to /Extras/Extensions. In my case the five listed above or you could just copy the contents of Extras from your boot CD. Once you can boot from the hard disk OK then you can worry about getting the sound working or the video at 1024x600.

The point about using a combined Boot132 & kext replacement approach is so that you can always boot the system whatever updates you load from Apple. You just use the minimum kexts to be able to safely boot from the hard disk. In any case not all kexts can be loaded using Boot132 e.g. the ApplaAzaliaAudio.kext required for sound & using the modifed com.apple.Boot.plist necessary to load EFI strings to get 1024x600 video is not easily accomplished with Boot132.

OK...and do you have the Boot-132 CD of yours somewhere uploaded I mean with THAT Kexts that worked for you and you wrote them above... ?

I didnt understand so far where is Extra/Extensions...on the boot-132 CD ? and you installed these five kexts by placing them to Extra Contents folder when installing chameleon DFE ? And then install Kamikazes package.. right ?

Thx

3) When up to date opened Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.zip

5) Copied the kexts with Pacifist from Kamikazes package

6) Inserted them to Extra Contents folder then installed Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg

7) Reboot

KERNEL PANIC....nothing works safe boot alsou doesnt work..

DAMN

Erase AppleIntelCPIPowerManagement.kext

Looks like you may be one of the first to try this ou ton a wind, I am also stuck.. For soem reason my /extra/extensions is not picked up

Looks like you may be one of the first to try this ou ton a wind, I am also stuck.. For soem reason my /extra/extensions is not picked up

I guess nigelbb is right boot-132 cant load audio and video and other kexts cause of some EFI strings...not edited for these kexts...I ll try his method tommorow...

OK...and do you have the Boot-132 CD of yours somewhere uploaded I mean with THAT Kexts that worked for you and you wrote them above... ?
As I wrote beofre I did not use a boot CD but booted from a USB external disk running the MSIWindosx86 distro.

I didnt understand so far where is Extra/Extensions...on the boot-132 CD ? and you installed these five kexts by placing them to Extra Contents folder when installing chameleon DFE ? And then install Kamikazes package.. right ?
When you run the Chameleon DFE Boot132 application it installs Chameloen to the hard disk & creates a directory Extra in the top level of the disk. In that directory create a folder called Extensions. In that folder copy the kexts that I listed (extract them from kamikaze's pacakge if necessary). You don't need those kexts just to confirm that your Boot132 installation as you alreday have a set of kexts on the CD that you have that do allow the system to boot with a retail disk so if you were to use those you could boot a retail install.

I am sorry ifI cannot explain this any better. Perhaps you should read some of the forum postings about using Boot132 & get to really understand what you are doing raher than just trying to follow my recipe.

You shouldn't need to remove AppleIntelCPIPowerManagement.kext as Disabler.kext in Extra/Extensions should inactivate it.

As I wrote beofre I did not use a boot CD but booted from a USB external disk running the MSIWindosx86 distro.

When you run the Chameleon DFE Boot132 application it installs Chameloen to the hard disk & creates a directory Extra in the top level of the disk. In that directory create a folder called Extensions. In that folder copy the kexts that I listed (extract them from kamikaze's pacakge if necessary). You don't need those kexts just to confirm that your Boot132 installation as you alreday have a set of kexts on the CD that you have that do allow the system to boot with a retail disk so if you were to use those you could boot a retail install.

I am sorry ifI cannot explain this any better. Perhaps you should read some of the forum postings about using Boot132 & get to really understand what you are doing raher than just trying to follow my recipe.

You shouldn't need to remove AppleIntelCPIPowerManagement.kext as Disabler.kext in Extra/Extensions should inactivate it.

Allright I think I get it now...these 5 Kexts are actually from Kamikazes package so no problem getting them.After the installation of retail OSX and update to 10.5.5.I simply mount this dmg http://tinyurl.com/6je4eh install Chameleon_DFE_Hard_disk.pkg on my Hard disk it creates Directory in "My Disk/Extra/Extensions "I will copy these 5 KEXTS you wrote there, REBOOT and it should boot without CD.The I can finally install Kamikazes package to enable audio and graphics..

Thats it...correct me if im wrong...

Appreciate your work..I know it could be quite bothering for you..sorry

I dont know how you made it working but mine after like you said just retail install and Installed five KEXTS with chamelen DFE...simply wont boot the grey Apple screen is loading forever...in diagnostic message boot -v it stucks on "Package 0 didnt get an HPET"... I have done all like you nigelbb dont know where s the problem now...

Could someone please confirm, but is the external VGA Port working??

That is one of the major issues for me. Powerpoints.....

I've got my external video working now well. After few unsuccessfull attempts, don't know how, I didn't change anything, but it is running lika a charm now. Don't worry. For a driver I've used the GMA kext from the Paul's... Kalyway 1.5.2 DVD -> upgr. 1.5.3 -> 1.5.4, then installed all kext including GMA950.