OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

Well, I got the 1490 off eBay, installed it and the computer wouldn't boot. Tried reseating it and keeping the holding screw less tight but that didn't work either.

I'm trying to return it for a replacement. Did I seat it wrong or is this just a defective part. After turning the computer on with it in the screen is blank and nothing happens. Turned it back off, cracked it open and the wifi card was hot. When I remove it, the computer boots just fine (though I was very worried at first). Any ideas? Is this thing just shorted out?

Got my 1490 today - I have exactly the same issue as you. Im on an advent 4211.

I played round with the screw - also put a little bit of insulation tape over the exposed metal screw hole. Managed to get it to boot, worked for 5 mins, then the power cut off again.

Meteparozzi - you get your card from jackobyte on ebay? perhaps a bad batch - dunno?>

Ideas anybody please?!

paulobrien, not MacOS logo. I meaned msi logo.

How do you install Dell 1490 inside?

I too was talking about the bios logo - Crummy Advent in my case... However that bootxchanger looks pretty nifty too!!!

I installed it in the usual way..

1> crack open the case

2> remove old mini wifi card

3> Insert new mini wifi card and connect arial

4> Close case

Well after MUCH jiggery pokery and a pair of small nail scissors and some insulation tape, I think this card is working... just getting drivers now. However, I got to this stage before, and then I lifted the laptop to put it on my knee and it cut off and wouldn't come back on again. I really hope it works better this time (about the 30th time I've taken the back off and messed around with the card and fully screwed the underside back on)

meteparozzi - don't give up hope!!!!!

on TPB is a torrent specificly for MSI Wind / Medion:

10.5.4 Installer customised for MSI Wind, Advent 4211, Medion Akoya and Luvbook only.

Go grab your retail copy and stickers and make it legit.

Yea, we released an MSI Wind 10.5.4 Leopard installer disc on TPB. Just burn the image, and run it with either an external DVD, HDD, iPod, etc.

The installer is extremely straight forward, you won't need to "customize" the install either.

Thanks to all the folks for testing and other misc things too! Enjoy!

-Stell

on TPB is a torrent specificly for MSI Wind / Medion:

I too was talking about the bios logo - Crummy Advent in my case... However that bootxchanger looks pretty nifty too!!!

I installed it in the usual way..

1> crack open the case

2> remove old mini wifi card

3> Insert new mini wifi card and connect arial

4> Close case

Well after MUCH jiggery pokery and a pair of small nail scissors and some insulation tape, I think this card is working... just getting drivers now. However, I got to this stage before, and then I lifted the laptop to put it on my knee and it cut off and wouldn't come back on again. I really hope it works better this time (about the 30th time I've taken the back off and messed around with the card and fully screwed the underside back on)

meteparozzi - don't give up hope!!!!!

Well hell. I thought the card was defective and got a refund on eBay (supposedly, still waiting for it to post). Ordered mine from ShipOnSite. I'll try insulating it up a bit more and then reinstalling. Is there any specific part that needs to be insulated, cut, snipped or whatever? Doesn't seems as plug-and-play as everyone else has said.

Well hell. I thought the card was defective and got a refund on eBay (supposedly, still waiting for it to post). Ordered mine from ShipOnSite. I'll try insulating it up a bit more and then reinstalling. Is there any specific part that needs to be insulated, cut, snipped or whatever? Doesn't seems as plug-and-play as everyone else has said.

Well I had a far from plug in and play experience! I used a very small piece of tape over the screw hole that is not used. I also taped down the left hand side of the card (there was already a piece of tape there on the original card). I used a very very small piece of tape around part of an exposed ariel connector which was making contact with the metal shield on the wifi card. I also tidied a couple of wires near the battery (top left just follow the ariel wires up to the top) that were exposed slightly and may have been catching when I was screwing the machine shut.

I also didn't put the card in fully... I left it about 1mm out ... and didn't tighten the the screw... only enough to secure the card. I then replaced the bottom cover and tightened all the screws all the way.

I'm sure most of this info is probably useless. But like I said before, I ended up re-fitting the card around 30 times (drove me nearly mental). Its working great now. Might just be one of those places your card is shorting out too!

Good luck!

Weird, I just chucked the new card in, tightened the screws, clipped on the antennas, job done!

The card had a sticky label on the back (plasticised) that insulated against the unused terminal, so no worries!

P

There's a sticky label on mine too - Its going fine now anyway, but it was horrendous getting it to go. I'm dreading upgrading the ram and harddrive, as I have a feeling it will stop working again.

Anyone found where to get a good carrycase, that will just fit (not too big!!)?

There's a sticky label on mine too - Its going fine now anyway, but it was horrendous getting it to go. I'm dreading upgrading the ram and harddrive, as I have a feeling it will stop working again.

Anyone found where to get a good carrycase, that will just fit (not too big!!)?

manila-envelope.jpg

:D

-Stell

I have a Dell 1500 wireless n mini-pci module in my wind, it fit and worked without any issues at all.

Installation is very very simple.. there are only 2 antenna, white and black posts are clearly marked on the card.

I can confirm it works without problems

Also the Dell 1500, I think I want to step up to Wireless N

I see the floodgates have opened :D

Download, burn install - no command line, no customizations - no ' after ' packages.. straight install and go

30 min from boot to desktop.

hope you guys enjoy it..

Yea, we released an MSI Wind 10.5.4 Leopard installer disc on TPB. Just burn the image, and run it with either an external DVD, HDD, iPod, etc.

The installer is extremely straight forward, you won't need to "customize" the install either.

-Stell

-Stell

Wow ... that really a good news, although I still don't have the Wind yet. BTW Thanks for your great jobs Stell.

Hi!

I have another question.. I installed mac osx86 leopard 10.5.4 on msi wind from about 10 days and all works well, except for the webcam.. The operative system doesn't recognize it - I read that it doesn't work 100% and that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but on my msi wind pc it never worked. I have macam but it doesn't find it, also if I hit FN+F6 button... Do you know if I have to do something specific or to install a specific kext?

Thanks!!!

Daniela

Yes you need to install the camera firmware first - that will help greatly with stability.

and of course FN + F6 to turn it on.

OK.. so from the other forum it seems you need to install the DELTA update for 10.5.4 - do not install the combo update.

This brings the 10.5.1 kernel to 10.5.4 and allows coolbook to work.

cheers

One

Hi!

I have another question.. I installed mac osx86 leopard 10.5.4 on msi wind from about 10 days and all works well, except for the webcam.. The operative system doesn't recognize it - I read that it doesn't work 100% and that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but on my msi wind pc it never worked. I have macam but it doesn't find it, also if I hit FN+F6 button... Do you know if I have to do something specific or to install a specific kext?

Thanks!!!

Daniela

Yes you need to install the camera firmware first - that will help greatly with stability.

and of course FN + F6 to turn it on.

OK.. so from the other forum it seems you need to install the DELTA update for 10.5.4 - do not install the combo update.

This brings the 10.5.1 kernel to 10.5.4 and allows coolbook to work.

cheers

One

.. Also I'm noticing that when I take photo's with photo booth, they only come out 640*480 (VGA)

Its like this on XP too. Anyone else having this problem? Is it that the Advent 4211 comes with a crappier webcam perhaps?

I just got an MSI Wind and I've joined the pack trying to get it working with OSX. I've already got a ThinkPad X61 Tablet working beautifully, so this is my next challenge. I was amazed at the point it got to with very little tweaking using the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk.

Anyway, the main question I have is what people are using to boot it. I would like to keep it a dual boot (at least for now). On my ThinkPad I run Vista and Mint Linux (Ubunutu variant) in addition to OS X and the Linux gives me my EFI boot loader. I wasn't able to boot into Mint Linux on the Wind. Does anyone know if there is a version of Linux that installs quickly and easily and is well supported?

If not, what are people using instead. I looked at the EFI boot alternatives (albeit, very briefly) like Chameleon and they seemed a little daunting (what's with the RAID striping? Do I have to do that? I don't get it.)

Does the MSIWindosx86 released on TPB include a provision for booting as well? Or is it assumed that the user will take care of that himself.

If someone can give me some advice on this I would really appreciate it.

Edit: Just did a little more research (yeah...I know...research FIRST ask SECOND...anyway...) and it looks like the 8.04.1 build of Ubunutu Heady Heron is very well supported. Downloading now.

Sorry for creating an off-topic, but I guess I'm just too curious :)

Can someone please tell me his/her Geekbench or Xbench score with Leopard or Tiger on the Wind?

Thank you in advance!!!