OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

Argh! Can someone help me out with booting? I installed Ubunut and although it is well supported itself, it didn't help with booting OS X. I get a screen saying "Starting..." and then it just hangs. I tried reinstalling OS X (The MSIWindosx86 version - Great job guys!) and still it hangs when I try to boot into it.

The way that I did it on my ThinkPad was to install to an external drive and use Acronis to copy the partition. Does anyone think that's the solution here as well in order to get the necessary EFI boot support in place? If not can anyone offer me any guidance on this. I'm so close it's painful...

By the way, to the team that made the Windosx86 DVD, how did you get battery support with the little icon on the menu bar? I there a single kext that I could put on my ThinkPad to do the same thing. Battery support/power management is one of the few things I am currently missing and really need.

Thanks!

Edit: Humm, getting closer. I was able to boot into the OS X partition through the DVD boot method. I noticed in Acronis that, for whatever reason, the drive was marked as logical. Changing to primary helped. Now I have to test if I can boot into it through Unbuntu's grub loader.

2nd Edit: Working beautifully with Ubuntu now that I fixed the problem with grub. Added benefit, I now have a Wind with 3 great OS's (well...two great ones anyway, XP doesn't qualify...).

Still, if anyone has a better way, please let me know. And I still interested in the power management if someone can help me out.

Has anyone done a Retail DVD install on thses machines? My Wind should arrive by Monday, so was wondering. BTW I am really coonfused. Should I go for the Dell E, Acer or Wind? My only gripe with Acer is the crappy touch pad, and SSD speeds. But it looks awesome, and is cheaper.

Nice job Stellarola, I'll try it on my Medion that I'll get tomorrow :rolleyes:

Man I'll be waiting for your results. I'm also thingking on buying a Medion becuase right now it the only one MSI Wind clone available in Spain...

FYI - Just catching up, but the symptoms are exactly what I got before I got it seated correctly.

When I loosened off the screw, it worked fine and didn't get hot again.

Well, I got the 1490 off eBay, installed it and the computer wouldn't boot. Tried reseating it and keeping the holding screw less tight but that didn't work either.

I'm trying to return it for a replacement. Did I seat it wrong or is this just a defective part. After turning the computer on with it in the screen is blank and nothing happens. Turned it back off, cracked it open and the wifi card was hot. When I remove it, the computer boots just fine (though I was very worried at first). Any ideas? Is this thing just shorted out?

FYI - Just catching up, but the symptoms are exactly what I got before I got it seated correctly.

When I loosened off the screw, it worked fine and didn't get hot again.

Finally got it working. There are two mounting spots on the left side of the motherboard for the wifi. You need to put a small piece of electrical tape over the unused mounting slot (closest to you) or it causes a short. After you install the wireless card fully, turn the mounting screw about a half turn. Then pull the wifi card out (away from you) as far as it will go until hitting the end of the screws "give" and then tighten it completely. Should work fine after that.

Make sure you attach your antennas to the correct colors.

Hope that helps. This little beast is wicked.

Man I'll be waiting for your results. I'm also thingking on buying a Medion becuase right now it the only one MSI Wind clone available in Spain...

I used the .iso specificly for the MSI Wind/Akoya and the installation was almost perfect! Wireless isn't working yet, I'll try to get it working manually...

EDIT: manual install worked perfectly. Typing this on my new Medion Akoya ;)

Finally got it working. There are two mounting spots on the left side of the motherboard for the wifi. You need to put a small piece of electrical tape over the unused mounting slot (closest to you) or it causes a short. After you install the wireless card fully, turn the mounting screw about a half turn. Then pull the wifi card out (away from you) as far as it will go until hitting the end of the screws "give" and then tighten it completely. Should work fine after that.

Make sure you attach your antennas to the correct colors.

Hope that helps. This little beast is wicked.

Ugg, still going in and out at times. Now I'm up to 15 or more reinstalls of the card. All kinds of electrical tape anywhere metal is exposed. This thing shorts out pretty easily.

Cybex what about the card reader and webcam? Does it work without patches?

Do you have this Medion? Cuz I think there are different versions of medion depending of the country...

And noob question.... How you people do you install it withoud cd or dvd????

Cybex what about the card reader and webcam? Does it work without patches?

Do you have this Medion? Cuz I think there are different versions of medion depending of the country...

And noob question.... How you people do you install it withoud cd or dvd????

I managed to lend something similar to this from a friend, so I could use my desktops dvd drive. I suppose if that wasn't an option I would have ended up going and buying a portable usb dvd drive.

meteparozzi - Don't give up!!! I went through the same, but its settled down now - its worth the hassle!!

Titooo - The webcam and card reader work ... however - could somebody on here please confirm that their medion's webcam is producing FULL 1.3 MP graphics... Mine won't, and I really want to establish if its my setup or if the Medion batch came with poorer quality cams

You'll need an external DVD player to install (via USB).

I didn't check the cardreader and webcam. I don't use any of them. But I read on the forums that they will work without a problem.

I also don't think that there are several types of this Medion laptop. Just look at the type number: Medion Akoya E1210. If that's the one for sale in your country, you should be okay!

Quick and simple question: does this iso support languages other than English?

I've used an 10.4.8 iso before which had all the original languages, Kalyway 10.5.2 seems to offer only English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese while iATKOS just deleted everything but English ... :|

I have managed to update my webcams firmware using vmware and a copy of xp. Just made sure that the webcam was connected to the virtual machine and ran the update.

Not sure what benefit the later firmware gives but worth trying.

I do not understand why you want to install 10.5.2on your wind, wifi does not work on wind using leopard.

Got my onboard wifi working great thanks to a dell 1490 (£15) and some patience.....

... Still, don't know why you would install 10.5.2 when you can go 10.5.4 and have all fixes and updates already installed ...

EDIT: sorry £20

Got my onboard wifi working great thanks to a dell 1490 (£15) and some patience.....

... Still, don't know why you would install 10.5.2 when you can go 10.5.4 and have all fixes and updates already installed ...

where did you buy it for £15? One guy in ebay sell it for £20 :(

where did you buy it for £15? One guy in ebay sell it for £20 ;)

Sorry I made a mistake - Mine too was £20, I was getting confused with another item I bought recently :lol:

Had a quick look round and that seems as cheap as you can get them too! Still... well worth £20 to have a wind running leopard and have its wifi functioning...