[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

GUID is not compatible with XP on a Hackintosh unless you put XP on a separate hard drive. It is, however, compatible with Vista on the same drive. As far as your dual-booting question, take a look at the sub-forum here at IM:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=104

So if I follow your guide, and install Leopard with GUID as a single OS, I'll be able to add vista as my Dual Boot later on?

My main goal is to install Leopard only once, without the need to reinstall when I'll want to add windows on Dual Boot (XP or Vista - i don't really matter).

Hi weaksauce - just wanted to let you know I was able to upgrade to 10.5.4 successfully using your guide. Thanks again!

Also, I now have a 3rd drive that I am using for SuperDuper! cloning, so if you ever want to test something on an EP35, let me know.

Hi weaksauce - just wanted to let you know I was able to upgrade to 10.5.4 successfully using your guide. Thanks again!

Also, I now have a 3rd drive that I am using for SuperDuper! cloning, so if you ever want to test something on an EP35, let me know.

Is everything working smoothly on the EP35-DS3L like on the P35? It would be good to know that this guide applies equally well to that board. And besides, I've got an EP35 on the way! Thanks.

Is everything working smoothly on the EP35-DS3L like on the P35? It would be good to know that this guide applies equally well to that board. And besides, I've got an EP35 on the way! Thanks.

I have a EP35-DS3L and everything works perfectly using this guide by weaksauce. :(

I am having some issues with this system. Nothing short of minor annoyances however.

SuperDuper and TimeMachine seem to be having some issues.

Occasionally disk images hang while trying to mount.

Just wanted to keep posting my status.

Everything else is so far so good.

I just wanted to thank u soooooo much u guide was so helpful i followed the steps and i was able to get a sucsesful installation after almost a month from trials with all the bios and every thing.

I used the Gigabyte rev 2.0 with a quadcore 9450mhz and radion 3450 graphics card. and ati hd 20 g the hole process took almost an hour and every thing went fine. I just wanted to add that i did not have to do the tweeks u did in the bios.

Keep up the good work

i did, actually i burned it 3 times to be sure i used disco on two of them and in the other i used disk utilities, also in which sata ports do you have your stuff pluged in, in the 0and1 or on the oher ones, thanks for your soon reply, i also burned them all at 2x speed, any other idea??? thabks a lot

I purchased this and it can't see my Dlink Wireless Gaming Router (DGL-4300) :P Sad Panda!

Does anyone know of a wifi card that works using Apple's built in Airport software? The Encore control panel is pretty craptastic ..

Hmm, works perfect with my Linksys WRT54G 802.11g router. Do you need to put the Encore settings off N to see G perhaps?

I believe the Linksys WMP54G PCI card appears as a native Airport. I have one in another computer that I'll swap out and try tonight.

So if I follow your guide, and install Leopard with GUID as a single OS, I'll be able to add vista as my Dual Boot later on?

My main goal is to install Leopard only once, without the need to reinstall when I'll want to add windows on Dual Boot (XP or Vista - i don't really matter).

AFAIK Vista has to be installed first, Leopard second. However, you can always clone the Leopard install to a file on a backup drive, install Vista, then restore your clone on a second partition. I'm working on dual-booting next week, so I'll let you know what I come up with!

Does the latest guide work 100% for you? I've been getting mixed results from people with the EP35 board, certain things not working (which is why I haven't added it as "working" to the guide).

I have a EP35-DS3L and everything works perfectly using this guide by weaksauce. :D

You followed all the steps and have no issues? What BIOS are you using?

I am having some issues with this system. Nothing short of minor annoyances however.

SuperDuper and TimeMachine seem to be having some issues.

Occasionally disk images hang while trying to mount.

Just wanted to keep posting my status.

Everything else is so far so good.

What kind of issues? If you used an earlier version of the guide, you may need to install the USB Fix and/or the Time Machine fix. If you get a UUID Error, that means you need the Time Machine fix. If you have problems with actual USB drives (thumb drives, hard drives, etc.) mounting and working correctly, or even being recognized, you need to install the USB fix. If you are using an older version of the guide, you might want to considering just doing a fresh install. With the USB installation method listed earlier, you can go from bare metal to a complete working system in about 20-25 minutes, including 10.5.4!

I just wanted to thank u soooooo much u guide was so helpful i followed the steps and i was able to get a sucsesful installation after almost a month from trials with all the bios and every thing.

I used the Gigabyte rev 2.0 with a quadcore 9450mhz and radion 3450 graphics card. and ati hd 20 g the hole process took almost an hour and every thing went fine. I just wanted to add that i did not have to do the tweeks u did in the bios.

Keep up the good work

You're welcome, glad to hear it's working well for you! :) Which tweaks did you skip? They are there for a reason...optimal Hackintosh performance, proper sleep/wake, etc.

What did you use to get the ATI 3450 card working, software-wise? Also, what's an "ati hd 20 g" ?

i did, actually i burned it 3 times to be sure i used disco on two of them and in the other i used disk utilities, also in which sata ports do you have your stuff pluged in, in the 0and1 or on the oher ones, thanks for your soon reply, i also burned them all at 2x speed, any other idea??? thabks a lot

Yeah, I used ports 0+1. I'll test the other ports as installation ports some time to see if they work as well.

So...you get the boot error when you first try booting up the DVD disc, not after you've installed Leopard?

Stock Icon Kit

Download here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/134441438/Stoc...on_Kit.zip.html

This kit removes the Kalyway 10.5.2 icon customizations and reverts them to the default Leopard icons. It includes the About This Mac icon (black Apple to silver Apple), the Mac icon in Finder (black Mac Pro to silver Apple Cinema Display), and the Mac Pro icon (black Mac Pro to silver Mac Pro).

How to replace the "About This Mac" icon:

1. On your boot drive, go to System>Library>Core Services

2. Right-click on "loginwindow" and choose "Show Package Contents"

3. Navigate to Contents>Resources

4. Drag-and-drop the "MacOSX.tif" icon from the "Stock Icon Kit" folder to the "Resources" folder

5. Click Authenticate

6. Click Replace

7. Type in your admin password

8. Logout or Restart and click on "About This Mac" from the Apple menu - your icon will now be silver!

How to replace the standard Finder icons:

1. On your boot drive, go to System>Library>Core Services

2. Right-click on "CoreTypes.bundle" and choose "Show Package Contents"

3. Navigate to Contents>Resources

4. Drag-and drop the "com.apple.mac.icns" and "com.apple.macpro.icns" files from the "Stock Icon Kit" folder to the "Resources" folder

5. Click Authenticate

6. Click Replace

7. Type in your admin password

8. Logout or Restart and open Finder - your Shared icons will now be standard Leopard icons!

Additional Resources:

You can customize your icons however you'd like. For example, you could make a custom logo for the "About This Mac" pane if you'd like. mtotho actually has a Gigabyte-Apple icon in his tutorial:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689

I like this rainbow-colored Apple logo, has that classic 80's look to it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0j0r12mi2mz

There is a cool HUD available in a translucent dark gray:

http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...6783903&p=1

Here's what my system looks like with the HUD and Rainbow Apple Logo:

f_Picture5m_e9de699.png

There are tons of free icons at the Icon Factory:

http://iconfactory.com/freeware/icon

Interface Lift also has many excellent icons:

http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/

If you really enjoy customizing your system, be sure to check out Candybar, which allows you to change icons and the Dock easily:

http://www.panic.com/candybar/

Interface Lift has a huge library of gorgeous wallpapers for your desktop:

http://interfacelift.com/

MacThemes has theme-related posts on icons, wallpapers, etc.:

http://macthemes2.net/

MacThemes also has a great forum: (note - they don't like Hackintoshes there, so don't post your screenshots! lol)

http://macthemes2.net/forum/index.php

Small note, in case anyone runs into this same problem with their hackintosh and textmate.. For some unknown reason on a FRESH install of leopard, there was a broken symlink to textmate "mate" in /usr/bin. So when you try and manually create a symlink and enter your root pw, it fails, same with using textmate's terminal usage "create link" button. Just delete the broken symlink and recreate using textmate's button i just mentioned.

Anyway, that's that. enjoy.

Props and much respect to Weaksauce for this guide.

Really? All of my machines take all 5 kexts just fine, at the same time, including Bluetooth.

So NOT installing both Bluetooth kexts = no USB error for you?

Not that i get no USB error but that i don't get the little "no" sign after the kext installs.

Maybe i wasn't doing something right :(

but my logic after getting the "no" sign twice was that since nowhere on my system do i have bluetooth, that must be what was causing the problem so i left those out and i booted fine.

outta curiosity, what do those bluetooth kexts do?

Not that i get no USB error but that i don't get the little "no" sign after the kext installs.

Maybe i wasn't doing something right :(

but my logic after getting the "no" sign twice was that since nowhere on my system do i have bluetooth, that must be what was causing the problem so i left those out and i booted fine.

outta curiosity, what do those bluetooth kexts do?

Using Kext Helper, it installs (and overwrites the existing kexts) the Bluetooth software to get Bluetooth working. Kalway's Bluetooth implementation does not work properly on the P35-DS3L; these kexts fix it so that you can pair and use stuff like Bluetooth keyboards.

Anyone has tried the security update available ?

Security Update 2008-005 is recommended for all users and improves the security of Mac OS X. For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Is is safe to install ?

Thank you

weaksauce12 said he'd installed it with no issues, so I did. I've had no problems.

How to Mod SMBIOS to Display the Correct Memory Information:

The Macdotnub SMBIOS27-Rev6, included with the guide, allows for custom memory information. You can add Memory Speed, Memory Type, and a Serial Number. This is useful if you want your system to be more accurate in displaying hardware information for the RAM, as well as if you're overclocking and have a custom MHz speed.

1. From your boot drive in Finder, open Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration

2. Copy "com.apple.Boot.plist" to your Desktop

3. Open the plist file with TextEdit and add the following information below the last key:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>MemSpeed=800 MemType=DDR2 SerialNum=W55111APPL3</string>

4. Customize the values to your preferences (800, DDR2, W55111APPL3) and save the file (you can use your existing serial number by copying it from the Memory section of System Profiler)

5. Copy the "com.apple.Boot.plist" file back into the SystemConfiguration folder (click Authenticate, then Replace, and type your password in)

6. Reboot

7. Open System Preferences and click on Memory to verify your new RAM values!

Here is my plist as an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>MemSpeed=1002 MemType=DDR2 SerialNum=0x48092D503537345336304350362D09352020</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Here is a screenshot of it in action:

f_Picture6m_3a7c842.png

Does the latest guide work 100% for you? I've been getting mixed results from people with the EP35 board, certain things not working (which is why I haven't added it as "working" to the guide).

You followed all the steps and have no issues? What BIOS are you using?

I have the F4 Bios (04/02/2008) on the EP35-DS3L

post-121225-1217792413_thumb.jpg

How to Mod the BIOS Splash Screen:

Download this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/134590903/BIOS_Logo.zip.html

This replaces the Intel logo that you see when you first boot (if you haven't disabled Full Screen LOGO Show in the BIOS). I've included an Apple-branded logo in both standard and widescreen format (thanks to gotoh for providing the graphics), but you can use any file you want (in 640x480 bitmap format). Here is what the included logo looks like:

f_logom_ca4236d.jpg

1. In the BIOS, go into "Advanced BIOS Features" and switch "Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Enabled"

2. Install Windows on your computer (if you're using XP, you may need to remove some RAM - it won't boot if you have more than 3.5-gigs of RAM installed; also, you'll need to disable AHCI in the BIOS for XP)

3. Install the Face Wizard program in the download package

4. Run Face Wizard and select "On Board" for the "Select BIOS" section

5. Click "Load Image" and choose either the standard or widescreen graphic, or one of your own choice

6. Click "Auto" (this will erase the old BIOS and install the new/existing one along with the boot image)

7. Reboot and enjoy your shiny new Apple BIOS Boot Graphic! :D

Notes:

Here is a picture of the tool you'll be using:

f_techfacewizm_be319a1.jpg

More details and additional pre-made graphics are available in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=19365

The Face Wizard tool is also an excellent way to upgrade the BIOS easily. You can use this to install the F7 BIOS that I'm using or to test out one of the newer beta BIOS files.

How to add the Mac Startup Sound:

Download this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/134603149/Startup_Sound.zip.html

This mod adds the Mac Startup "DONG" sound to Leopard. On real Macs, this sound is made when you first see the white boot screen with the gray Apple logo. While we can't do that on our Hackintoshes (at least, not yet), we can add the sound immediately after, when the desktop first appears.

1. Open the SystemSound Extension folder in the download package and install SystemSound.prefpane

2. Open the SystemSound extension in System Preferences

3. In the Preferences tab, check the "Enable SystemSound Extension" and "Use startup sound"

4. Drag the "Mac Startup Sound.aif" file from the download package into the "Startup Sound" box in the "Startup Sound" tab; you can click the "Preview" button to hear it before restarting (Note: If you move the original file, it won't play back anymore because it won't be able to find the sound file. I recommend putting it someplace safe like in the Documents folder, THEN dragging it into the "Startup Sound" box).

5. Restart and make sure your speakers are turned on - enjoy the Mac startup sound! :hysterical:

Notes:

You can preview the sound here:

http://boomp3.com/listen/bzo6groxg_m/pci-based-power-mac

SystemSound is compatible with AIFF, AIFC, WAVE, MP3, MP2, MIDI, SD2, ULAW, WMA, and system 7 sounds. You can also specify a Shutdown sound if you'd like. There's a fun shutdown sound here:

http://riddle-va.net/foley/fx/shutdown.wav

Which you can preview here: (also includes an installation tutorial with screenshots, as well as iTunes importing instructions for file format conversion)

http://www.c-h-a-o-s.com/2007/07/27/shutti...x-with-a-sound/

The SystemSound Extension folder in the download package also includes SystemSound Converter, which allows you to convert System 7 sounds to a compatible format (useful if you want to grab custom sounds from older Macs).

Ahah. You skipped Step 4, Sub-Step 6:

6. Click the Restart button on the 10.5.4 Delta Update window (the first reboot will take longer than usual)

Gotta follow the guide to the letter! There's a reason for the order of the steps :)

Redo your installation from scratch. Print out the guide and check off each step as you complete it. Don't skip any of the steps!

Back to report...

Ok, so I followed the guide correctly this time...did the proper restart at the end of step 4. I loaded all 5 of the kext files, the audio, and video afterwards. Same Problem.

I reloaded again, did the same things, left off the two bluetooth kext files...bingo. I'm up and running!

Part of me wants to go back now and install JUST these two kext files...part of me wants to leave well enough alone...any thoughts?

_ _ _ _

On a side note, I am running a BFG 8800gt OC 512mb on a widescreen monitor and I'm having two problems.

1. I don't have a widescreen resolution (1280X768) to choose.

2. When I choose any other resolution, my screen goes light blue and I have to force a reset. In profiler, everything looks fine. Card is QE enabled and all that, even reports my ram size fine.

I can live with the weirdness of the res changing, but any idea how I add a resolution to the list of options? Lack of widescreen is killin me.

O, and AWESOME news on using face wizard with the board...I didnt have the stones to test that one myself. :D

Back to report...

Ok, so I followed the guide correctly this time...did the proper restart at the end of step 4. I loaded all 5 of the kext files, the audio, and video afterwards. Same Problem.

I reloaded again, did the same things, left off the two bluetooth kext files...bingo. I'm up and running!

Part of me wants to go back now and install JUST these two kext files...part of me wants to leave well enough alone...any thoughts?

_ _ _ _

On a side note, I am running a BFG 8800gt OC 512mb on a widescreen monitor and I'm having two problems.

1. I don't have a widescreen resolution (1280X768) to choose.

2. When I choose any other resolution, my screen goes light blue and I have to force a reset. In profiler, everything looks fine. Card is QE enabled and all that, even reports my ram size fine.

I can live with the weirdness of the res changing, but any idea how I add a resolution to the list of options? Lack of widescreen is killin me.

O, and AWESOME news on using face wizard with the board...I didnt have the stones to test that one myself. :)

You can always use SuperDuper to make a system clone. If you don't have a backup drive, just break your boot drive into two partitions and use SuperDuper to clone to a sparseimage file on the second partition, which you can later restore using Disk Utility on the Kalyway Leopard disc if things go bad.

What make/model monitor do you have? Some LCD's don't support all resolutions...

I followed your instructions to a tee and after multiple failures at a retail install with Boot 132, SUCCESS!!!I have super fast new Mac. This was on an EP-35-DS3L, see sig for my setup. Only thing not working is my Lynksys Wireless N Adapter WMP300N Rev 1(I hear rev 2 shows as airport natively), Anyone know of a way to get this IEEE card working? Thanks so much WeakSauce!

Back to report...

If you don't mind doing another install :lol:

I was so frustrated when trying to figure this out that i will not go near those kexts unless i know i need them.

As for the video problem, try reinstalling the NVInject and once you reboot, go into system preferences, Auto detect monitor. Then try manually changing your resolution. In the monitors tab, your monitor should be correctly recognized and you should have all the resolutions your monitor is capable of.