[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

I followed your instructions to a tee and after multiple failures at a retail install with Boot 132, SUCCESS!!!I have super fast new Mac. This was on an EP-35-DS3L, see sig for my setup. Only thing not working is my Lynksys Wireless N Adapter WMP300N Rev 1(I hear rev 2 shows as airport natively), Anyone know of a way to get this IEEE card working? Thanks so much WeakSauce!

This guy's card was working under 10.5.2, but not 10.5.4:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry827856

What you may want to do is try the install again, but see if your wireless works under 10.5.2 before updating. If it does, just backup the appropriate kexts and install them when you run the 10.5.4 update. I don't know which kexts those would be specifically, but if you wanted to take the shotgun approach, you could just backup all of your kexts using the OSx86 Utility Tool from Pcwiz.

If you don't mind doing another install :lol:

I was so frustrated when trying to figure this out that i will not go near those kexts unless i know i need them.

As for the video problem, try reinstalling the NVInject and once you reboot, go into system preferences, Auto detect monitor. Then try manually changing your resolution. In the monitors tab, your monitor should be correctly recognized and you should have all the resolutions your monitor is capable of.

You have the EP35 board as well, right? If so, (1) which BIOS revision are you running and (2) if you have Bluetooth, do your devices pair and work properly with th stock Bluetooth kexts?

weaksauce12, let me just say thanks again for, not only creating a fabulous guide, but continually updating it and finding new ways to customize our hacks! You are like the Energizer bunny dude!

Anybody getting kernel panics at shutdown? I know one person who recently mentioned they were getting random panics at shutdown at post 302 here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...708&st=300#

I just get the gray screen that says "You must restart your computer......etc". I don't get any text on the screen. So far on this incarnation of my hack, I've only gotten the panics at shutdown so I haven't lost any work. Just wondering if anyone else has seen them.

weaksauce12, let me just say thanks again for, not only creating a fabulous guide, but continually updating it and finding new ways to customize our hacks! You are like the Energizer bunny dude!

Anybody getting kernel panics at shutdown? I know one person who recently mentioned they were getting random panics at shutdown at post 302 here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...708&st=300#

I just get the gray screen that says "You must restart your computer......etc". I don't get any text on the screen. So far on this incarnation of my hack, I've only gotten the panics at shutdown so I haven't lost any work. Just wondering if anyone else has seen them.

Hah thanks :( This thread has really helped me iron out the bugs in the system...all of my Gigabyte rigs are on 10.5.4 and are incredibly stable!

Nope, all of my Gigabyte-based systems have been running super-smooth. One of my rigs is essentially the same as yours (DS3L, 2180, 2gb ram, 7900gt, 250 boot, DVD) and everything runs like a dream.

Have you run Memtest86+ overnight?

Have you used the latest version of the guide, or are you using the previous version where we copied ALL of the extensions from 10.5.2?

Hah thanks :D This thread has really helped me iron out the bugs in the system...all of my Gigabyte rigs are on 10.5.4 and are incredibly stable!

Nope, all of my Gigabyte-based systems have been running super-smooth. One of my rigs is essentially the same as yours (DS3L, 2180, 2gb ram, 7900gt, 250 boot, DVD) and everything runs like a dream.

Have you run Memtest86+ overnight?

Have you used the latest version of the guide, or are you using the previous version where we copied ALL of the extensions from 10.5.2?

I did run Memtest86+ overnight, did 6 full passes with no errors. I do have my E2180 overclocked and it's been a while since I've run any kind of stress-testing.

I believe I'm on the latest version of the guide. I don't remember copying any extensions from 10.5.2, just running the kalyway combo update + the kalyway kernel update to get to 10.5.3, then running the Apple update to 10.5.4, plus some additional items like CHUD and the shutdown fix, then installing additional kexts, sound and video drivers.

I do have a bluetooth adapter that is not necessaily compatible (it's not on the HCL). It seems to work just fine, but it could be the cause. It's the SMK-LINK VP6494 from here:

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5622561;jses...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

On a system such as this, would it be better to load Windows on a seperate drive or use a program such as Parallels/VMWare. Windows will be used ONLY for gaming.

Better in relevance to ease of installation, and best performance

I know several people have already done either so if you've had experience in either, please share.

On a system such as this, would it be better to load Windows on a seperate drive or use a program such as Parallels/VMWare. Windows will be used ONLY for gaming.

I know several people have already done either so if you've had experience in either, please share.

Honestly, I do no gaming, but there's no way that running Windows under Parallels or Vmware will get you gaming performance on par with booting directly into Windows.

The only installation snafu I can think of is running Windows with AHCI. You'll need to download Intel drivers for use with XP, whereas Vista has them already.

If I were you, I would make the dual boot between XP and OSX. When I want to play game only, I boot into XP. I never try to install video card driver through Parallels or Vmware. My guess is it not possible to do that. Without the driver, most games will not be able to play (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is how I make dual boot on my machine.

Install XP and OSX on the same disk, but different partition

1. Install XP

2. Install OSX. After installing OSX, the active partition will be changed to OSX. (Automatic boot into OSX after * seconds)

check this file "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"

Kalyway 10.5.2 should have this value in the file

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>*</string>

Where * = delay time before the system go into OSX

3. If you want to boot into XP, restart computer and hit F8 to go to Darwin Boot Loader.

4. Select XP on the list.

=================

If you want to set XP as the active partition (Automatic boot into XP)

1. Boot into XP.

2. Copy file "chain0" (search in this board) to C:/

3. Right click on My Computer then choose Properties/Advanced.

4. Select "Setting" at tab Startup and Recovery. Then choose Edit

5. Add this line then save it.

C:\chain0="Apple Mac OS X86"

6. Start>Program>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. Select "Disk Manager"

7. Right click on XP partition and mark partition as Active.

I did run Memtest86+ overnight, did 6 full passes with no errors. I do have my E2180 overclocked and it's been a while since I've run any kind of stress-testing.

I believe I'm on the latest version of the guide. I don't remember copying any extensions from 10.5.2, just running the kalyway combo update + the kalyway kernel update to get to 10.5.3, then running the Apple update to 10.5.4, plus some additional items like CHUD and the shutdown fix, then installing additional kexts, sound and video drivers.

I do have a bluetooth adapter that is not necessaily compatible (it's not on the HCL). It seems to work just fine, but it could be the cause. It's the SMK-LINK VP6494 from here:

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5622561;jses...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Have you run Memtest since you overclocked? Overclocking can lead to random unstability. But to have it only do it at shutdown...that's weird.

I continue to have issues with mounting dmg files?

They just seem to sit a FINISHING after trying to mopunt.

Update to the latest version of the guide. Also, check the SMART status of your hard drives. Do you have the latest Apple Updates? There should be no mounting issues with the newest updates (individual kexts instead of backing up ALL kexts like the old version of the guide did).

Have you run Memtest since you overclocked? Overclocking can lead to random unstability. But to have it only do it at shutdown...that's weird.

Update to the latest version of the guide. Also, check the SMART status of your hard drives. Do you have the latest Apple Updates? There should be no mounting issues with the newest updates (individual kexts instead of backing up ALL kexts like the old version of the guide did).

Definitely after I overclocked.

I should also mention that the last time it panicked (this morning), it was after several days of not having it shut down completely. I've just been using sleep.

The easiest route to go is simply to use two hard drives and hit F12 at boot to choose between them. An 80gb hard drive is $40 on Newegg, cheaper than most new games. You can dual boot with XP, but you're limited to 4 gigs of RAM max and have to use MBR for Leopard. It's not overly difficult though.

Honestly, I do no gaming, but there's no way that running Windows under Parallels or Vmware will get you gaming performance on par with booting directly into Windows.

The only installation snafu I can think of is running Windows with AHCI. You'll need to download Intel drivers for use with XP, whereas Vista has them already.

Yeah, virtualization is pretty useless for heavy 3D gaming, at least for now.

K so i guess i will go with dual booting.

Thanks for the run through Patty but if i'm gonna go dual booting, i'd much rather do it on a completely different disk as i'd like to devote my current HDD to my mac and use a smaller drive for windows.

What would the basic steps be for this. Is the process any different for our setup than what's in the dual booting section of the forums? Would i still need to reinstall OSX? I've been using it heavily (and very stable at that) for 2 weeks now and have it exactly the way i like it. (Although if absolutely necessary, i could reinstall)

Definitely after I overclocked.

I should also mention that the last time it panicked (this morning), it was after several days of not having it shut down completely. I've just been using sleep.

Still, that's odd. Shouldn't kernel panic, like, ever :)

K so i guess i will go with dual booting.

Thanks for the run through Patty but if i'm gonna go dual booting, i'd much rather do it on a completely different disk as i'd like to devote my current HDD to my mac and use a smaller drive for windows.

What would the basic steps be for this. Is the process any different for our setup than what's in the dual booting section of the forums? Would i still need to reinstall OSX? I've been using it heavily (and very stable at that) for 2 weeks now and have it exactly the way i like it. (Although if absolutely necessary, i could reinstall)

There are no steps for dual booting on separate drives. All you have to do is install XP/Vista on the second drive. Whenever you boot, press F12 when the BIOS appears to choose either your Leopard drive or your Windows drive. Just make sure the BIOS settings are correct for the version of Windows you're using (i.e. disable AHCI to get XP to boot for installation). You can use MacDrive on Windows to read your Leopard files and Paragon NTFS or MacFUSE/NTFS-3G on Leoaprd to read your Windows files.

There are no steps for dual booting on separate drives. All you have to do is install XP/Vista on the second drive. Whenever you boot, press F12 when the BIOS appears to choose either your Leopard drive or your Windows drive. Just make sure the BIOS settings are correct for the version of Windows you're using (i.e. disable AHCI to get XP to boot for installation). You can use MacDrive on Windows to read your Leopard files and Paragon NTFS or MacFUSE/NTFS-3G on Leoaprd to read your Windows files.
This is a good method for choosing the boot drive. Just wanted to mention that you can also use the chain0 method when XP and OSX are on two different drives.

This is a good method for choosing the boot drive. Just wanted to mention that you can also use the chain0 method when XP and OSX are on two different drives.

Ah, that's a good point. I really wish someone would come along and program up an awesome bootloader. Grub is so, so close to being perfect, but doesn't quite cut it. I really wish there was something that supported quasi-virtual drives, similar to partitions, but allowed inter-operatibility with MacDrive and Paragon and whatnot, but didn't allow the Vista bootloader to take over. While I'm dreaming, I'll also put in a request for an XP patch to ignore more than 4 gigs of ram and work anyway :)

Where is a good thread for the chain0 method? I currently have 4 drives (3 OS'es on 3 drives, 1 drive backup files - OS X 10.5.4, Vista SP1, and XP SP3). I don't mind booting with F12 right now but it would be great to have a method to easily choose between the three.

Where is a good thread for the chain0 method? I currently have 4 drives (3 OS'es on 3 drives, 1 drive backup files - OS X 10.5.4, Vista SP1, and XP SP3). I don't mind booting with F12 right now but it would be great to have a method to easily choose between the three.

The chain0 method didn't' work for me....I think because my Leopard HD was GUID formated. It's only a guess though.

I have Vista 64 (MBR format) on a separate HD and just to make sure during the install it didn't mess with the Leopard HD I disconnected the Leopard HD.

I use the F12 key during boot-up. Really not a big deal.

Does the latest guide work 100% for you? I've been getting mixed results from people with the EP35 board, certain things not working (which is why I haven't added it as "working" to the guide).

EP35 guy here. Things work OK as far as I know. I use this thing as my primary machine, but I am not doing anything special. iLife, Office, VMware, Firefox, iTunes, Time Machine - that's about it. I have Logic but haven't set up my new firewire card yet so I can't test my audio interface. I'll let you know if there are problems.

The chain0 method didn't' work for me....I think because my Leopard HD was GUID formated. It's only a guess though.

I have Vista 64 (MBR format) on a separate HD and just to make sure during the install it didn't mess with the Leopard HD I disconnected the Leopard HD.

I use the F12 key during boot-up. Really not a big deal.

I used GUID as well so most likely I can't do the chain0 method, oh well. ;)

It's probably to do with your processor. What chip do you have? Virtualization is only supported in some Intel Core 2 processors. The dual cores don't have it, and certainly the older Pentium 4's do not. Thus you will not see options for it in the BIOS is a chip without support for that technology is not present. Similar thing for EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology). Your chip might just not support that feature.

...That's a good point. virtualwabbits, what CPU are you running?...

Dagnabbit, my previous reply to this post was stolen by the interwebs.

Anyway, good tip on the cpu capabilities. I'm using an Intel 2180, and here are the details:

Tech Spec

Core Allendale

Multi-Core Dual-Core

Name Pentium E2180

Operating Frequency 2.0GHz

FSB 800MHz

L2 Cache 1MB

Manufacturing Tech 65 nm

64 bit Support Yes

Hyper-Threading Support No

Virtualization Technology Support No

Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T

Voltage 0.85V – 1.5V

Thermal Power 65W

Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

So, I'm not capable of using that option for now, and seeing as how my 8600m in my Dell laptop is doomed, I'm going to need to buy another graphics card, before I upgrade this cpu. I didn't get a chance to play with the Hackintosh system this weekend much, but I'm going try some things tonight for the dual-boot.

A little bit of trouble, but what a great guide!

Everything worked right until I installed 10.5.4. I did the install, and then followed the guide to step 6 b (installed additional kext, sound and video). I rebooted. OSX hangs at the apple logo, and eventually puts a little black and white "do not" sign on the screen.

So, I rebooted and ran diagnostics mode "-v".

The start up hangs on the following yellow text:

failed to load extension com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI

(there is more after this)

I followed the guide to a tee, so I'm a little bit confused. So many others seem to be having no problems.

tacoheadpete, check out this post, this situation is similar to mine:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...708&st=268#

After encountering the same error, I re-installed everything (including the Bluetooth kexts), but left out the AHCI kexts for SATA drives at the end. I still see the com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI error, but it doesn't stop the system from booting up the OS, and loading the GUI.

I'm using the AHCI mode with Windows XP on the same drive, I'm wondering if that is the problem on my system, but I have to back and do an MBR install with OSX (cuz I've been doing the GUID thing), to see if that changes my results.

19 pages and counting! Woohoo!

WeakSauce12 wrote: You have the EP35 board as well, right? If so, (1) which BIOS revision are you running and (2) if you have Bluetooth, do your devices pair and work properly with th stock Bluetooth kexts?

My board is running F6 bios version, There is an update for it on Gigabyte's site but I don't have Windows to install it or a floppy drive. The DLink BlueTooth adapter works great and pairs with my Apple Wireless Keyboard just fine after it boots completely.