What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Soon. ;) After nearly going crazy to get mac booted at all on my PC it would have been nice to get mah 4870 going. 

I would have kept the installation if i could dual boot XP too. The disk Utility, whatever way it formats tends to mess up the partitions. So after thinking my drive was dead (disc error in bios) im back on XP with a good resolution and some games to play. :)

Keep up the good work, it would be great if ye could beat ATi to it with the drivers. Knowing how big this scene is, maybe it'll happen. 

I'm waiting for you comments ;) ( I literaly jumped in the air, ran in the house and screamed when I red this news :), very very good news )

Haha, great to see that you're enthusiastic man! Seriously, that's some really good news. Hope soon means REAL soon. :P

Hi all

I have just installed OS86 with an 4850, I know it is not supported yet but is there anyway I can change the display settings?

IM on 22" and the 1024 is horrfic!

If you don't want to type it everytime, you can add those parameter to your bootfile. Look at 'messing with boot options' here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Tips_And_Tricks

Be aware that you don't make faults in this file because it is possible that your system doesn't boot.

Another thing, I have a 22 inch too. I cannot use 1680*1050. If I add this to the boot file, I get 1400*1050 in os X. I don't think that widescreen is supported with the vesa 3 driver. Anyone has further knowledge on that topic?

Yeh it is the same for me, its ok but still not good.

i think Im going to sell my card and get one that is supported. I don't use it much anyway

I bet you could trade your card on a for sale for trade forum for a 8800gt or 8800gts 512mb and maybe make 10 bucks. http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.asp...;flcache=278011

If you try to sell used then buy new you may have to pay a bit, but bet you could get outright trade and some cash.

Yeh it is the same for me, its ok but still not good.

i think Im going to sell my card and get one that is supported. I don't use it much anyway

You could do that... However, it's confirmed that Apple will release the 4850 (or4870, same driver) for their apples in the near future so there will be a driver. I'm just going to wait a few months and see.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/25/atis-4...coming-for-mac/

And if they release it for mac, there will be a driver :)

Just recently set up 10.5.4 with a 4850 for my girlfriend.. and I had no problems forcing 1900x1200 on boot, which is a 16:10 resolution. Maybe VESA doesn't support 16:9 but it certainly works for 16:10.

and btw.. still waiting on more information regarding Apple's support for the 4850. Anybody know if 10.5.5 will be the winner? Or will it be 10.5.6 or possibly even Snow Leopard? If we knew that it might give me a better idea of when I will be running with QE and CI. :D

Just recently set up 10.5.4 with a 4850 for my girlfriend.. and I had no problems forcing 1900x1200 on boot, which is a 16:10 resolution. Maybe VESA doesn't support 16:9 but it certainly works for 16:10.

3 Questions:

1/ How did you go with running dual screen?

2/ What drivers did you select/What distro (Kalyway?)

3/ What commands did you use to force? Can this be done in "display" in system prefrences?

3 Questions:

1/ How did you go with running dual screen?

2/ What drivers did you select/What distro (Kalyway?)

3/ What commands did you use to force? Can this be done in "display" in system prefrences?

Thanks ;)

1. Not running dual screen. Well, her TV IS hooked up, but obviously not working since there is no driver.

2. I chose no driver, this is just the default VESA driver when there is an unidentifiable video card. The Distro I am using is JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3

3. The information I followed was listed in the link provided in page 6 but I will repeat it.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Tips_And_Tricks

Browse down to "Messing with boot options"

It explains it pretty well.

If you processor is fast enough, her's is a Q6600, I really don't notice much difference from QE and CI being on in regular desktop usage. 1920x1200 looks great.