OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

got it working today, already fixed orange drive icons after rs, updated to 10.5.4 got archicad up and running

only things i have to fix are:

sound - anyone?

let it recognise the second cpu core---

make a switch to switch between mac mod bios with ahci and vista overclock bios with raid

EDiT: thanks for the modded bios kabyl, it fixed the boot-problems =D, great work!

P5q working with moded bios and kaly 10.5.1.

P5q

e6750: both cores working

ram: geil ddr2 800mhz

sata: working

graphics: hd2600pro fully working

lan and audio to fix

xbench: 180 pts.

WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

System: P5Q Deluxe, Q9450 , 8Gb Ram, 2 SATA HD's, SATA DVD drive (anything else just ask)

B. No Audio. I'm searching around but it's not looking so good. There seems to be trouble in getting just the earlier versions of the chip working so far.

-Jared

Since i have my P45 Platinum fully working (w/ Audio,Ethernet,etc) you can try my handmade ALCInject.kext & AppleHDA.kext, they work for me on all ports, incl. Headphones. Mic should work too.

Hope it will work for you guys, too.

Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/130398042/p45audio.zip.html

Kabyl, BitRIP, DocShadow, you guys are all legends! :)

Slightly unrelated, but have any of you guys had issues with SATA drives/raptors when setting up Dual boot machines regardless of IDE/AHCI/Compatibility modes on ASUS P45 boards?

Slightly unrelated, but have any of you guys had issues with SATA drives/raptors when setting up Dual boot machines regardless of IDE/AHCI/Compatibility modes on ASUS P45 boards?

I have dual boot machine with raptor drives in AHCI mode without any problems.

Remember that and excisting install of windows, that was installed in with standard ide, will not boot up when your bios is changed to AHCI.

There are some complicated tricks to change that in windows but mostly a reinstall in AHCI mode is faster.

BiTRiP

Kabyl, BitRIP, DocShadow, you guys are all legends! :)

I doubt it .... they are so far ahead of me I can't see them. I'm a Mac noooooob.

I could not set up the P5Q using in IDE mode; mine only ran in AHCI mode. Can't speak to other P45 boards. I have had no problems dual booting either OSX partitions on the same drive or XP and OSX on different drives.

I've used the chain0 method for XP and OSX on different drives; works very well. I am now using a USB stick to boot different drives but having trouble booting XP unless I take the stick out.

Since i have my P45 Platinum fully working (w/ Audio,Ethernet,etc) you can try my handmade ALCInject.kext & AppleHDA.kext, they work for me on all ports, incl. Headphones. Mic should work too.

Hope it will work for you guys, too.

Thanks for the link iPhoneTom. I going to try it tonight.

I doubt it will work as the MSI use Realtek and the P5Q is ADI but at this point I'm trying everything that's already available first.

Maybe I need to switch boards. :(:(

Doc

all working now (only sound missing, however i found a old external mac soundcard which is working ;) )

thanks for the great help!

E8400 @ 4.4ghz, 488mhz fsb (stock in osx)

4gb ram 1:1 with fsb

P5Q DELUXE

Seagate 7200.11 320gb for osx,

Velociraptor for Vista x64

samsung F1 data + exchange

X-fi in vista

2x sata dvdrom

2x hd3870

all working in OSX (only sound requires extra external soundcard) with modded p5q deluxe bios (thanks kabyl!!!) on vanilla kernel with 10.5.4, sleep without any problems (wakeup set to power button only in BIOS), I/O performance ok too!

QE/CI working too, support for 4 monitors also OK (hat my mon has 4 different inputs and OSX detected 4 different displays XD)

BTW i have watercooling on my wolfdale if anyone is woundering abot the clocks :dev:

so far: hard start, but i'm (almost) fully statisfied now^^

now on to find some cool programs for OSX (been 8 years since i had my last real mac, a power PC G3 400 B/W (it's running tiger now and my bittorrent machine...)

hey,

I'm trying to install on a P5Q3 Deluxe, took me some time to even get the dvd to boot the installer without panicking...had to disable nearly all of the CPU functions in BIOS.

But it is not possible to boot the system from HD afterwards. I get the Bootloader and no matter what switches I put there It gets stuck before loading any ACPI or AHCI drivers...

Can someone tell me which install options (packages) to select for this mobo or for similar ones?

thx

all working now (only sound missing, however i found a old external mac soundcard which is working :D )

thanks for the great help!

E8400 @ 4.4ghz, 488mhz fsb (stock in osx)

4gb ram 1:1 with fsb

P5Q DELUXE

Seagate 7200.11 320gb for osx,

Velociraptor for Vista x64

samsung F1 data + exchange

X-fi in vista

2x sata dvdrom

2x hd3870

all working in OSX (only sound requires extra external soundcard) with modded p5q deluxe bios (thanks kabyl!!!) on vanilla kernel with 10.5.4, sleep without any problems (wakeup set to power button only in BIOS), I/O performance ok too!

QE/CI working too, support for 4 monitors also OK (hat my mon has 4 different inputs and OSX detected 4 different displays XD)

BTW i have watercooling on my wolfdale if anyone is woundering abot the clocks :)

so far: hard start, but i'm (almost) fully statisfied now^^

now on to find some cool programs for OSX (been 8 years since i had my last real mac, a power PC G3 400 B/W (it's running tiger now and my bittorrent machine...)

I'm struggling with a P5Q Deluxe. I've never tried installing OSX before, but all my attempts so far have been futile. I've flashed with the modified BIOS but I'm still having difficulty. I've only tried the Kaly 10.5.2 release so far.

First I was getting kernel panics almost right away after the display switched from text to graphical text/smaller font (if that makes sense). Booting with -v -f cpus=01 got me past the first panic. Now I can get as far as it detecting the NIC, Firewire, and my drives. But it panics shortly after that.

I've tried changing a number of BIOS settings with no luck. Any advice or tips from people with the P5Q seriers boards would be greatly welcome. I've already determined I need either Comapatable or ACHI for SATA. With enhanced it just sits there saying it can't find the root file system. But all the other BIOS settings I have tried seem to make no difference.

Check out my post #63 on my P5Q Deluxe install for the DVD settings I used.

My first install was on a MBR formatted HDD but this week I changed it over to GUID. The GUID install was very smooth.

Which video card are you using?

Doc

hey,

I'm trying to install on a P5Q3 Deluxe, took me some time to even get the dvd to boot the installer without panicking...had to disable nearly all of the CPU functions in BIOS.

But it is not possible to boot the system from HD afterwards. I get the Bootloader and no matter what switches I put there It gets stuck before loading any ACPI or AHCI drivers...

Can someone tell me which install options (packages) to select for this mobo or for similar ones?

thx

But did you flash your bios with a modded version? It's needed to get it boot.

Go get the mod at Kabyl's site.

BiTRiP

BiTRiP ...

I noticed something weird last night. I went on Youtube to view a video. It started OK but after about 3 seconds the video stopped but it kept loading (the bar continued to move). It can play avi files OK so ???? Does yours work OK?

How's your sound? :blink:;)

Doc

PS ... I update by SU to 10.5.4. It's well worth it, the system seems a bit faster.

@DocShadow,

I have the onboard sound not working yet. Still looking into it.

I haven't noticed problems with avi's so far but this problem you have is probably sound related too. Or do you use an other device for sound?

BiTRiP

Check out my post #63 on my P5Q Deluxe install for the DVD settings I used.

My first install was on a MBR formatted HDD but this week I changed it over to GUID. The GUID install was very smooth.

Which video card are you using?

Doc

If your referring to the SATA settings, I've already tried AHCI with no luck. AHCI and Compatible both allow me to get further than Enhanced, but I still get a panic at the same spot. I have an Asus GeForce 9600GT, and I have an E8400 running at the stock 3.0GHz.

I'm using an MBR formatted disk. I really also don't feel like repartitioning my drives. But I don't know that is an issue at this point, since I'm not even getting into any installer areas. As far as I can tell, the kernel is panicing before I get to that point. But I could be wrong. I'm pretty new to this. But I've been pouring over the fourms the last 2 days trying to find some solutions.

@DocShadow,

I have the onboard sound not working yet. Still looking into it.

I haven't noticed problems with avi's so far but this problem you have is probably sound related too. Or do you use an other device for sound?

BiTRiP

I don't have a problem with avi's or from other sites so I don't think it's sound related. I cannot play Youtube videos. It's wired because I can drag the slider and watch it that way but it won't play otherwise. Have to search deeper for maybe some sort of plugin.

Doc

If your referring to the SATA settings, I've already tried AHCI with no luck. AHCI and Compatible both allow me to get further than Enhanced, but I still get a panic at the same spot. I have an Asus GeForce 9600GT, and I have an E8400 running at the stock 3.0GHz.

I'm using an MBR formatted disk. I really also don't feel like repartitioning my drives. But I don't know that is an issue at this point, since I'm not even getting into any installer areas. As far as I can tell, the kernel is panicing before I get to that point. But I could be wrong. I'm pretty new to this. But I've been pouring over the fourms the last 2 days trying to find some solutions.

There are three selections in BIOS ... IDE, RAID and AHCI. I could only get it to work on AHCI .. not IDE.

I have CIE Support - disabled

MAX CPUID - disabled

Intel Virt. Tech - disabled

CPU TM Fcn - disabled

Exec Disable bit - enabled

You did replace the OEM 0803 BIOS with the one from Kabyl's site ... correct? Won't work without it.

MBR is fine .... I originally used MBR without a problem.

Except for the video card we seem to have the same setup (my E8400 is overclocked to 3.7).

Stick in the DVD and boot from it. When it prompts press F8 and enter -v to see where it hangs up.

Doc

There are three selections in BIOS ... IDE, RAID and AHCI. I could only get it to work on AHCI .. not IDE.

I have CIE Support - disabled

MAX CPUID - disabled

Intel Virt. Tech - disabled

CPU TM Fcn - disabled

Exec Disable bit - enabled

You did replace the OEM 0803 BIOS with the one from Kabyl's site ... correct? Won't work without it.

MBR is fine .... I originally used MBR without a problem.

Except for the video card we seem to have the same setup (my E8400 is overclocked to 3.7).

Stick in the DVD and boot from it. When it prompts press F8 and enter -v to see where it hangs up.

Doc

I did flash my BIOS with Kabyl's a few days ago. I also have to use -f when bootig the DVD, or else it panics on what appears to be an ACPI error almost right away. With -f, it boots further, getting to the point where it can find my drive.

I tried all those settings, still no luck. If I'm reading the panic correctly, it has something to do with USB/HID. I tried turning hi-speed off in the bios, with no luck. I have a G15 keyboard with a bunch of extra bells and whistles, so I tried replacing it with a regular USB keyboard, but I still got the same error. I took a snapshot of it with my phone, if anyone can maybe see something else in there that I'm missing.

post-259960-1216419353_thumb.jpg

-solved-

Hey Guys,

I tried to manage a Bios Mod for the Asus P5Q-Pro by myself. After some trouble I was able to compile the extracted and modified DSDT part.

I used the findings posted here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=804822

IASL ended with no Errors but some simple warnings, they were the same as asked here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=809056

Nothing to worry about...

I did replace the new DSDT Part successfully with MMTool 3.12 (3.19 said Part 1B can´t be overwritten).

In the end, EZFlash won´t flash the Bios, cause the Bios Boot Block seems to be corrupted. :(

/edit: Ups, need simply MMTools V3.19_Mod_21FiX to get it working.

The reason why I need another Bios for the P5Q-Pro is that the lastest (and already modded) Bios 0703 has some strange behaviour regarding the CPU-Temperature readouts. After some time, CPU-Case Temp climbs all the way up to 127°C (Sensors Maximum) and CPU-Fan is forced to 3.000 rpm - horrible.

Beta Bios 1004 fixed that issue. So i need a modded 1004.

Standard Bios won´t run, seems to be a comon for P45 based Boards.

Some Attachments for experienced hands, maybe someone can help me and others.

/edit: Attachements removed, cause BIOS flash went bad. Had to Hotflash in anither Board, since "CrashFree Bios 3" ist that Crashfree :D

Thanks in advance!

After the break a little horns for two days and finally managed to change the bios of my P5Q-PRO, which Kabyl has not yet mod.

Through a topic of the forum where more or less what explains (though not entirely) and basis of commitment and reading.

With the bios of P5Q-PRO is not worth any other version of MMTOOL than V3.19_Mod_21FiX for the "Replace"

With the 3.12 not properly amended and shows "Boot Block in file is not valid."

After modifying the bios properly, the first test with Kaliway 10.5.1 installs perfect P5Q-PRO.

It remains to be set:

Atheros Lan, dev: 1026

Realtek HD Audio / dev: 0888

Unknown CPU, Unknown chipset

picture1nf7.th.png picture4xu3.th.png picture5ih2.th.png

greeting

Sorry for the Translation :P

MOD_P5Q_ASUS_PRO_0703.zip

Hey thanks for the modded bios, it worked quite well for me with my P5Q Pro.

Now for the lan and sound

thanks again

I did flash my BIOS with Kabyl's a few days ago. I also have to use -f when bootig the DVD, or else it panics on what appears to be an ACPI error almost right away. With -f, it boots further, getting to the point where it can find my drive.

I tried all those settings, still no luck. If I'm reading the panic correctly, it has something to do with USB/HID. I tried turning hi-speed off in the bios, with no luck. I have a G15 keyboard with a bunch of extra bells and whistles, so I tried replacing it with a regular USB keyboard, but I still got the same error. I took a snapshot of it with my phone, if anyone can maybe see something else in there that I'm missing

Still a noob at this so I can't help with the error.

I did find that one of my DVD was bad 'cause I could not install with it. I'm using the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro and today tried the new iAtkos 10.5.4 distro (have not noticed any benefits over Kalyway .2 + SU .4 except for 'better' info in System Profiler)

In BIOS I have:

Suspend mode ... S3 only

ACPI 2.0 ..... enabled

ACPI APIC Support ...... enabled

@captfrag

Were did you find that version of MMTools , please? All I can find with google is the 3.12 one :P.

I want to able to mod myself my already SLIC-moded bios for Vista Ultimate on Asus P5Q3 Deluxe .

-solved-

Hey Guys,

I tried to manage a Bios Mod for the Asus P5Q-Pro by myself. After some trouble I was able to compile the extracted and modified DSDT part.

I used the findings posted here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=804822

IASL ended with no Errors but some simple warnings, they were the same as asked here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=809056

Nothing to worry about...

I did replace the new DSDT Part successfully with MMTool 3.12 (3.19 said Part 1B can´t be overwritten).

In the end, EZFlash won´t flash the Bios, cause the Bios Boot Block seems to be corrupted. :blink:

/edit: Ups, need simply MMTools V3.19_Mod_21FiX to get it working.

The reason why I need another Bios for the P5Q-Pro is that the lastest (and already modded) Bios 0703 has some strange behaviour regarding the CPU-Temperature readouts. After some time, CPU-Case Temp climbs all the way up to 127°C (Sensors Maximum) and CPU-Fan is forced to 3.000 rpm - horrible.

Beta Bios 1004 fixed that issue. So i need a modded 1004.

Standard Bios won´t run, seems to be a comon for P45 based Boards.

Some Attachments for experienced hands, maybe someone can help me and others.

Thanks in advance!

luck :PMMTool_3.19_Mod_21FiX.rar

Hey thanks for the modded bios, it worked quite well for me with my P5Q Pro.

Now for the lan and sound

thanks again

Sound no problem, Atheros Lan... <_< Atheros Wlan... use now PCI realtek8139 for now ;)

Sorry I can not explain most, my english is 0,0 :P

Enjoy.

Still a noob at this so I can't help with the error.

I did find that one of my DVD was bad 'cause I could not install with it. I'm using the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro and today tried the new iAtkos 10.5.4 distro (have not noticed any benefits over Kalyway .2 + SU .4 except for 'better' info in System Profiler)

In BIOS I have:

Suspend mode ... S3 only

ACPI 2.0 ..... enabled

ACPI APIC Support ...... enabled

Well, I was finally able to get it installed using iAtkos 10.5.4 distro. Although it was giving me trouble when I tried to format the partition I had set aside, so I just blew that drive away. It's just my "toy" operating systems anyway. After that, I was able to format and install fine.

Network gave me a little trouble. The Marvell driver in the distro only supports the top LAN2 port. That is a PCI (bridged to PCI-E) 88E8001 that I normally have disabled in favor of the true PCI-E 88E8056 LAN 1 port on the bottom. I found a post on here that explained how to edit the AppleYukon kext, and now the bottom port works perfectly. In fact, I'm typing this in OSX right now. :)

Now I just have to wait for someone to figure out the audio. And my 9600GT. But I may just bite the bullet and get a 8800GT instead. But thanks for everyone's help!

Network gave me a little trouble. The Marvell driver in the distro only supports the top LAN2 port. That is a PCI (bridged to PCI-E) 88E8001 that I normally have disabled in favor of the true PCI-E 88E8056 LAN 1 port on the bottom. I found a post on here that explained how to edit the AppleYukon kext, and now the bottom port works perfectly. In fact, I'm typing this in OSX right now. :)

Now I just have to wait for someone to figure out the audio. And my 9600GT. But I may just bite the bullet and get a 8800GT instead. But thanks for everyone's help!

Glad if finally worked out.

Could you post the modified Marvel kext? Other folks may want to use it.

The audio is a problem ... I've bee searching around for info on the 2000B but have yet to find anything. ADI has not posted any info on it that I can find.

Ranix said "sound no problem" but unfortunately the P5Q Pro uses a different codex. :blink:

Doc