OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

I finally got by the "Still waiting for root device error". The problem was my IDE DVD-RW.

I will probably get a SATA DVD-RW some time soon.

I had to install an old version of OSX (Tiger), and use it to copy the Kalyway install DVD to my SATA HDD.

I then booted the OSX installer from that partition, and everything except the sound (which wasn't actually a surprise) works great! ;)

Glad if finally worked out.

Could you post the modified Marvel kext? Other folks may want to use it.

The audio is a problem ... I've bee searching around for info on the 2000B but have yet to find anything. ADI has not posted any info on it that I can find.

Ranix said "sound no problem" but unfortunately the P5Q Pro uses a different codex. :(

Doc

yes P5Q-Pro is ALC888, but...

I thought it would be easier :whistle: can not install with applehdapatcher and 888.txt as I wanted ;)

I keep on in it :help:

Glad if finally worked out.

Could you post the modified Marvel kext? Other folks may want to use it.

The audio is a problem ... I've bee searching around for info on the 2000B but have yet to find anything. ADI has not posted any info on it that I can find.

Ranix said "sound no problem" but unfortunately the P5Q Pro uses a different codex. :D

Doc

I got sound working! I'm sure its just basic sound, no bells and whistles, but that's all I need it for. I was able to hear sounds in the System Preferences Sound section, as well as go out to the Quicktime movie trailers and watch them. Nothing is listed in the System Profiler for audio, but it does work. All I had to do was add the PCI ID to the AppleAzalia kext in the Intel ICH6 section. Basically it was the same thing I had to do to enable LAN1/Marvell 88e8056 in the AppleYukon2 kext.

Now I just need a working 9600GT driver (unlikely) or go buy an 8800GT (more likely).

Both of these kexts are inside another kext, so I'll just attach the whole ball of wax. You should be able to just replace the existing kexts in /System/Library/Extensions.

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

As a reminder, these are for the P5Q Deluxe. I can't guarantee they will work on any of the other P5Q boards. But they probably will if Asus used the same chips on the other P5Q boards.

No no no, I do not understand anything :)

On Windows my Integrated Sound on P5Q-PRO is Ven_10ec Dev_0888 Rev_1001 Subsys_104382fe (Asustek)

I could not be, is Realtek alc1200 :) I guie of Windows.

Eso pasa por no fijarse, jeje :)

Saludos.

Hi,

There is a new bios for P5Q Deluxe, anyone able to fix the DSDT Part ??

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...DELUXE-1003.zip

Cheers,

Kay

Interesting. It's on their website, but no notes as to what changed. I would be a little leery of flashing to that. But that's just me. :thumbsup_anim:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_...SLanguage=en-us

EDIT: I see Asus pulled the 1003 BIOS off their website as of 7/22. I'm willing to bet it was a beta that was accidentally posted to the website, given there was no changelog when it was there.

No luck with Nick3092's audo kext.

I used kexthelper to insert the file as is and still have no sound.

It's interesting to see how the same board performs differently for different people. I had no problem with the defalult Kalyway Lan kext but Nick3092 needed to modify the kext.

Hmmmm ....

poopdeckpappy ... did you get sound working with Nick3092's audo kext? How did you use the file?

I finally got by the "Still waiting for root device error". The problem was my IDE DVD-RW.

I will probably get a SATA DVD-RW some time soon.

I had to install an old version of OSX (Tiger), and use it to copy the Kalyway install DVD to my SATA HDD.

I then booted the OSX installer from that partition, and everything except the sound (which wasn't actually a surprise) works great! :P

Does anyone know an easier way to get the Kalyway 10.5.2 CD boot with an IDE-DVD drive on the Asus P5Q?

No luck with Nick3092's audo kext.

I used kexthelper to insert the file as is and still have no sound.

It's interesting to see how the same board performs differently for different people. I had no problem with the defalult Kalyway Lan kext but Nick3092 needed to modify the kext.

Hmmmm ....

poopdeckpappy ... did you get sound working with Nick3092's audo kext? How did you use the file?

Odd. All I did was add the PCI ID of the Intel ICH10 audio chip (0x3a3e8086) to the existing Intel onboard audio driver and it worked fine. I can see the HD Audio device in the output section of the Sound control panel. And in the sound effects section, the effects are black (instead of grayed out) and I can click on them and hear them.

post-259960-1216761615_thumb.png

Also, I didn't use the Kalyway disc (I couldn't get get it to install with out a panic so I used the new iAtkos v4 with no problems), so I can't speak to the driver in there. But the P5Q Deluxe has two different Yukon chips, the 88E8001 (LAN2, top port, PCI to PCI-e bridge chip) and the 88E8056 (LAN1, bottom port, native PCI-e chip). The skge Marvell Yukon driver I've seen packaged with many distros supports the 88E8001 chip (LAN2, top port) but not the 88E8056 (LAN1, bottom port). I had to edit the Yukon driver that apparently ships with OSX to get the bottom port working.

Now, that brings up something interesting. Maybe the change I made only works with the files installed by iAtkos. Maybe Kalyway has already modified some of their audio files, and the change I made won't work with the changes they made? An interesting experiment would be to install iAtkos, and install the kexts to see if they work then.

I do see that on the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, there are two files in the Patches directory that could counteract the change I made. AppleAzaliaAudio.pkg and RealtekSigmatelConexantAnalogDevicesHDAudioCodec.pkg. Maybe the change i made doesn't work with whatever is in these packages?

I know gedebukk got the audio to work with his P5Q-E (which also uses the same audio and LAN chips as the Deluxe). I would be curious which install he used.

Realtek ALC1200 (80863a3e) running on P5Q-PRO, 2 channels Out, Micro In, Audio In, editing ALCInject and AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.Kext/Contents/Info.plist

imagen2tf0.th.png

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

imagen3yr9.th.png

imagen4ie5.th.png

No se si es del todo correcto, pero funciona.

Un saludo

@DocShadow:

I'm just curious. You did delete the kext cache after you added the new kext?

I don't know how the "kexthelper"-thingy works, but I recommend you try adding the kext(s) to /System/Library/Extensions manually, and then delete the kext cache, before rebooting.

It might also be a good idea to run the "repair permissions" option in the disk utility as well. You could also try to boot with the -f flag, to make sure that the kext cache is reloaded.

I installed using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD (I had to copy it to my harddrive first though, but that was due to my stupid IDE controller). I didn't try to edit the kext manually, but I downloaded the one that Nick3092 uploaded, and it worked and still works great! :D

BINGO :thumbsup_anim:

Sloppy work on my part. :whistle: Thanks to Nick3092 and gedebukk I started all over again. I went back, deleted some kext, cleaned things up, moved files around, verified permissions, rebooted with -f and vioila.

Audio ID'd in System Profiler as:

Device ID: 0x10438311

Audio ID: 12

Thanks guy.

Nick .... could you post your file on the AD200b thread here .... AD2000B Link

It will keep things tidy and help other folks.

Doc

Realtek ALC1200 (80863a3e) running on P5Q-PRO, 2 channels Out, Micro In, Audio In, editing ALCInject and AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.Kext/Contents/Info.plist

imagen2tf0.th.png

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

imagen3yr9.th.png

imagen4ie5.th.png

No se si es del todo correcto, pero funciona.

Un saludo

Thanks again i will try to get my sound working later on

I've been monitoring this thread for a while. So almost everything would work on my new P5Q3 Deluxe system, except my 9600gt graphic card. So I'm gonna wait a little longer for triple-boot on this already double-boot system (XP Pro SP3 + Vista Ultimate SP1).

Thanks everyone here for making it possible.

Right now I'm trying to get double-modded my bios (SLIC for Vista + DSDT for Leo).

I installed using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD (I had to copy it to my harddrive first though, but that was due to my stupid IDE controller). I didn't try to edit the kext manually, but I downloaded the one that Nick3092 uploaded, and it worked and still works great! ;)

How was the partionen you used to copy the CD to formated? HFS+?

Update on my previous post :

Hi guys,

My mobo won't boot correctly after a neat flash from the EZ-Flash utility interface at POST. Everything went well but after the reboot, no video output but the system is in sort of stand-by mode. I thought Asus Diehard bios will boot from the backup chip automatically if anything went wrong. Can I manually choose to start from the backup chip?

Please help! I don't like the RMA thing :D .

By the way my modded bios could be the culprit but I went flashing confidently relying on their claim "Diehard Bios".

MB:Asus P5Q3 Deluxe (0704 bios) rev.1.02G

CPU:Intel E8400 under Thermalright Ultra 90

RAM: 2x1GB OCZ Platinum 1600EB

VGA: ECS 9600GT Fanless

PSU: Antec NeoPower 550W

I have exactly the same thing! I lost my main bioschip by flashing it with a own mod. All went fine without errors.

Unfortunately after reboot i get no post, fan speed at max and no way to restore bios.

I tried to find some info about the DieHard technology this mobo has but can't find any info how to restore from backupchip.

Not even on Asus own site.

I found only some info on a Aopen board that has same technology and this restore is done with changing a jumper, but P5Q3 doesn't have such jumper. (i tried with the CLRM jumper but no luck)

The only way I could boot again is by changing the bios chip physically. (BE CAREFULL WITH THE PINS)

After swapping them it can boot again with factory bios but no way to flash this chip, its protected.

Also, I wrote Asus an email about it. Today I got reply from them that they don't know it either so the forwarded my email to Taiwan and will come back to me.

BiTRiP

Not sure what's happening but ....

... if you can get into BIOS utility then start up EZ Flash 2 and choose the old BIOS :D ... or any BIOS you have available. If that doesn't work then you can put the Utility and BIOS on a floppy and boot from that to install.

I'm running Kaly's 0803 mod BIOS. I had not problems with it.

DocShadow,

With the main chip (the writable and also badly flashed one) in the main socket the machine doesn't boot at all. No screen, no bios utility or EZ flash.

With the backup chip (the non writable one) in the main socket on the mobo, the machine does startup but there is no option to rewrite the bad chip that is in the other socket.

So, you can put util on floppy but that doesnt help because you cant flash the chip in the backup-socket and in main socket it doesn't boot the floppy.

BiTRiP

BiTrip,

OK.

I had an old board that I screwed up the BIOS. I picked up a chip from a friend and replaced the bad one with it. I booted up the board, removed his chip and replaced with mine. The did a BIOS update.

At this time I don't know or recommended that you do it with this board.

Looks like I need to read the User Guide. :D

Having said that .... have you tried booting from the DVD. I believe it may contain a bootable BIOS. I say that 'cause I' setting up another build using an M2N. When I left the OEM DVD in the drive it booted from the DVD into an OS and asked what I want to run.

Doc

@DocShadow:

Indeed, there was a file called P5Q3D.rom on the CD but your trick didn't work.

@Bitrip:

Thanks a lot for replying so fast. I'll swap them when I'm less nervous : I don't wanna screw the pins.

So they don't live up to the claim "Diehard bios". I'll email them too then. Because I don't wanna stick with just one read-only chip , whatever bios version it has.

Thnx DocShadow, that was a tip that I didn't think of.....I booted with the backupchip in the mainsocket, then started up EZ Flash. Before selecting an old working ROM I removed the bioschip from the mobo (while it was still running) and replaced it with the bad flashed bioschip.

Then I pressed ENTER to write flash again. Scary but cool, it works.

Thanks.