Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Ok thank you.

Can I install now software updates?.

purpose of the update pacther

pre update patch: required only once, after that, it will always take care of cpu power management driver

post patches: are needed to get your functionality back. the most important part in post patch is the dsmos fix, it has to be run after major updates (manually downloaded updates, not direct update using built-in utility) before restarting, so that your system dont get stuck in initial boot process...

answer to your question? you already can do it updates, however there is always risk in major updates, therefore u need to know what you are doing...

Response to post 1916

Ok, sorry for being unclear. I did not write down all the options I selected so I'll do my best on that.

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 - chose "just restore" that's what I meant by "original." My bad.

Kernel: 9.4.0 StageXNU

I first chose HDA Audio but when it didn't work, I re-ran the post-install program and chose "just restore audio."

Network - Just restore - as I said my intel pro lan doesn't work even with posted fixes so I put a different card in that works.

I think I used the USB Controller fix but I'm not recalling. How can I check somehow on this?

The second time I ran the post-install I unchecked the AppleACPI options.

And the DSMOS fix, of course.

Hope that gives you what you were looking for.

Thanks,

Andy

upgraded from 10.5.3 to 10.5.5 and it seems to have mostly worked.

the only problem is that my graphics shows both screens unusably corrupted on the ATI HD3650 dual head that I have.

-x to boot to safe mode worked, and on installing the drivers from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...526&hl=3850 I then get 2 blue screens

changed to use the intel video card and then installed the older driver (http://rs445.rapidshare.com/files/146670541/ATI_Radeon_HD_-_10.5.x_-_10.5.5_kexts.zip) and things seem to be working well.

coolieo :)

Hello all,

I'm new here and been using my Hackintosh for about 3 weeks now.

I already have Kalyway 10.5.3 Update SSE3 (with Darwin 9.4) running on my P4 computer and everything runs fine. It's great.

How would I update to 10.5.5 (for my SSE3 computer) without having to reinstall the whole OS?

I can't find a post here with specific steps on how to do this.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Hi

Just putting it out there that someone may have a suggestion regarding my 'freezing' problems! I have been running Leopard 10.5.2 for 6 months now from an IDE drive - all ok except I have never been able to run time machine (have tried the 'fix' to no avail) but apart from that it has been almost faultless (ie stable) running pretty much anything i have needed - photoshop, ftp, torrents etc to the point it is more reliable than XP on the same machine (no surprise !).

I have recently installed 10.5.5 onto a SATA drive via the kalyway 10.5.2 instal, 10.2.3 update, official 10.5.4 and then Mysticus (customize for nvidia) method to 10.5.5. It boots up all good - and correctly identifies the CPU etc except it freezes randomly - sometimes within seconds. It runs pretty stable in safe mode tho... I have tried memmax=3072 - no improvement. I have tried many different 'customize' options and still no luck... however 10.5.4 was pretty stable.

anyhow I'm sure its something fairly simple - I suspect it may be something to do with the SATA driver?? or memory issue although the fact it works fine via IDE seems to discount that (?). I just cant quite get it!

Any input would be greatly appreciated (as all the fine work that has enabled me to get to this stage is!) Many thanks to all who have made this possible in the first place - your work is great!!

P.S For anyone similarly amateur reading this who is struggling to get Leopard running AT ALL on the same motherboard see the p5n-e sli thread :blink: And also running Leopard off 2 discs is a great way to make changes - especially if you stuff one install up. AND dont stuff around with LAN for this MB - buy a card that is known to work coz (i dont think) it can be done - correct me if im wrong!

oh yeah if i can provide any feedback to anyone who has been working on installers etc just ask! same for BIOS settings .

I must reiterate that the 10.5.2 install is pretty much faultless - its a Kalyway (thanks!) 10.5.2 clean (customized) install - only LAN Kext for Intel Pro 100s card - NOTHING else!

Asus P5N-E SLI (650i)

E6750 2.66GHZ Core 2 Duo @ 1333mhz

Asus EN7300GT NVidia Video Card 256mb

Kingston Hyper-X RAM 4GB @800MHZ

Seagate SATA 320GB 2 partitions - 1 (supposed to be) running Leopard 10.5.5 mac os extended - other partition the same

Seagate SATA 500GB 3 partitions 1 running WinXP, 2nd partition is shared between XP and Leopard for documents - I also run most Mac OS programs from this partition (Fat), 3rd and 4th partition NTFS

Old Maxtor 10gb IDE running Leopard 10.5.2 nicely mac os extended (original G3 mac HD!)

Lacie 120gb external via firewire - no good for timemachine

2xoldskool 21" CRT monitors in dual setup

MysticusC ur the man! From Kalyway10.5.2 works right from the box! I like ur guide - don`t work too hard - get a bigger hammer :(

Just soon afterwards I`ve blown my system (no worries - got the copy) using ~Neo`s natit installer.

Somethin wrong with my searching - spent 4h and can`t find solution - I know, is very close somewhere.. Will u point me (using proper hammer) to the right direction - I wish my Ati Radeon x1800GT QE/CI back.

MysticusC ur the man! From Kalyway10.5.2 works right from the box! I like ur guide - don`t work too hard - get a bigger hammer :P

Just soon afterwards I`ve blown my system (no worries - got the copy) using ~Neo`s natit installer.

Somethin wrong with my searching - spent 4h and can`t find solution - I know, is very close somewhere.. Will u point me (using proper hammer) to the right direction - I wish my Ati Radeon x1800GT QE/CI back.

sorry dont know about the ati 1800 mate... if you find the driver, let me know i can add it to updater...

sorry dont know about the ati 1800 mate... if you find the driver, let me know i can add it to updater...

I will. But for now I`ve used my nice copy of working Kalyway10.5.1 partition (thanks to Acronis DD) . Update just killed QE/CI,

so, is there any chance to have an "just restore" option in the video section?

Hello all,

I'm new here and been using my Hackintosh for about 3 weeks now.

I already have Kalyway 10.5.3 Update SSE3 (with Darwin 9.4) running on my P4 computer and everything runs fine. It's great.

How would I update to 10.5.5 (for my SSE3 computer) without having to reinstall the whole OS?

I can't find a post here with specific steps on how to do this.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Anyone know how I may do this?

Thank you.

When I try to do this on a clean install of kalyway's 10.5.2, right before I go to install the post updates my computer's screen gray's out and it tells me I have to restart my computer... What is going on?

I have a Asus p5n-e sli

2 gigs of memory

installed on a 60 gig sata drive

with a 8800 gts 640

intel e4400 core 2 duo

Followed the directions to the T, as well.

When I try to do this on a clean install of kalyway's 10.5.2, right before I go to install the post updates my computer's screen gray's out and it tells me I have to restart my computer... What is going on?

I have a Asus p5n-e sli

2 gigs of memory

installed on a 60 gig sata drive

with a 8800 gts 640

intel e4400 core 2 duo

Followed the directions to the T, as well.

read post # 1936 in previous page and go to correct topics for discussion of nforce related problems... there are some issues going on on nforce so follow the verdant's suggestions...

coosee: did you check the kernel options in last step in post patch customize window?

Hey I just wanted to say Great Work! Mysticus C*

and Thank you for continuing your efforts into this thread.

I just finished following this guide to update me from 10.5.3 to 10.5.5 (Aside from rebooting etc)

But something is puzzling me...you keep saying "Make sure to install in order, and customize the Post Combo Update Patches..."

I just ran the the Post Combo Update (Post Combo Update Patches v1.2.0.mpkg) and there was no "customize" option anywhere on any of the screens. But the guide continually mentions it. ??? Maybe I'm missing something that has been mentioned in one of the 98 posts but not updated into the original guide on Page 1?

=======================================================

UPDATE GUIDE/REFERENCE FOR CHOICES:

Download Pre Update and Post Update patch from

Download the Original 10.5.5 Combo Update from

Put all three files on your desktop!!!

• (-a-) Prepare for Combo Update
  • (-b-) Official Apple 10.5.5 Combo Update
  • (-c-) Post Combo Update Patches (with customization options)
  • How to Customize: When started the install program, watch the bottom left corner of the install window! It will show a button called "Customize" after you clicked the Next button first time. DO NOT PRESS NEXT BUTTON TOO MANY TIMES! ALWAYS CHECK THE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER FOR CUSTOMIZE WINDOW IN ANY INSTALLER.

========================================

4a.
NORMAL --INTEL CHIPSET-- USERS

• Install (-a-) first (no restart), (-b-) next (no restart) , and last (-c-) and once finished customized install restart...
  • Wait for second restart as usual from original update...

========================================

Hey I just wanted to say Great Work! Mysticus C*

and Thank you for continuing your efforts into this thread.

I just finished following this guide to update me from 10.5.3 to 10.5.5 (Aside from rebooting etc)

But something is puzzling me...you keep saying "Make sure to install in order, and customize the Post Combo Update Patches..."

I just ran the the Post Combo Update (Post Combo Update Patches v1.2.0.mpkg) and there was no "customize" option anywhere on any of the screens. But the guide continually mentions it. ??? Maybe I'm missing something that has been mentioned in one of the 98 posts but not updated into the original guide on Page 1?

it does have a customize button: but most likely people are pressing NEXT button too much... Customize button comes after FIRST -NEXT button at the left buttom corner... if you dont see it?, just close the window, and run the installer again... make sure you press the next button once and check the screen before pressing it again and again...

it does have a customize button: but most likely people are pressing NEXT button too much... Customize button comes after FIRST -NEXT button at the left buttom corner... if you dont see it?, just close the window, and run the installer again... make sure you press the next button once and check the screen before pressing it again and again...

It's not there, I ran it 4 times...

(And there is no "Next" the button labels are "Continue" and "Go Back")

Here are some screen captures of the 1st load screen, and the following screen after the load screen.

And after clicking continue on the 2nd screen it installs and shows the 3rd image.

firstscreenrp6.th.png

secondscreennx2.th.png

completexf0.th.png

Thanks for the quick response to my last post, and any help you can offer.

P.S.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but the version on biketown's site is 1.2.0, and your guide says patches current version is 1.1.5.

It's not there, I ran it 4 times...

(And there is no "Next" the button labels are "Continue" and "Go Back")

Here are some screen captures of the 1st load screen, and the following screen after the load screen.

And after clicking continue on the 2nd screen it installs and shows the 3rd image.

Thanks for the quick response to my last post, and any help you can offer.

there must be something wrong in your system, some (i dunno which) additional modified system files or etc... many people have done it just fine... maybe it needs a restart and start over or something, but there is a customize button in the bottom left corner... i did it million times, and 100s of people have done it, some minority amount of people could not do it, due to some unknow reasons... but even than they were able to do it the next time they tried it...

Thank you, Mysticus C and others for the effort you've put into this.

I am using an intel 945g mobo with a pentium d 3.0 ghz processor and nvidia 6200 gfx card (256 vid ram). I have iATKOS 1.0ir2 10.5.1 successfully installed on a partition but when I update using the 1.2.0 combo patches (pre and post) and apple 10.5.5 combo update (kernel 9.4.0, Just restore chipset, audio, network, nvinject 256, acpi-apic) it will boot, restart and then boot past the grey apple logo screen and hang up on a blue screen.

I am browsing the 90+ pages in this topic for help, but if someone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Jay(noob)

there must be something wrong in your system, some (i dunno which) additional modified system files or etc... many people have done it just fine... maybe it needs a restart and start over or something, but there is a customize button in the bottom left corner... i did it million times, and 100s of people have done it, some minority amount of people could not do it, due to some unknow reasons... but even than they were able to do it the next time they tried it...

hmm, ok well I may just end up re-installing since I did a GUID install and I'm thinking I should do an MBR.

And clearly something isn't right with the system at the moment.

Thanks again for the response :)

Well I just said the hell with it and rebooted twice using -v

I got 1 or 2 errors but it booted up quick and "About This Mac" says its updated to 10.5.5

(Remember I didn't do any customizing...)

Funny thing is I went to burn some things off before formatting just in case I had to wipe

my Time Machine Drive, and Toast wont load, Disco loads but crashes and Burn works fine.

I'm going to sleep and start over when I wake up with a clear head.

LOL

So get this,

Curiosity got to me, and before going to bed I thought I would click your "Post Combo Update Patches v1.2.0.mpkg"

to see what happened, and NOW there IS a CUSTOMIZE BUTTON!

:(

I'm going to screw around tomorrow before re-installing to see if I can't patch things up by running it again.

Why not eh? :)

Anyways, I'm off to bed now for real. It's already near 8am and I have too much to do today to be spending it in bed.

P.S.

Sorry for the multi posts lol