Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

yup..I am following your post on how to create the test partition and while I am reinstalling 10.5.2, I noticed that by default Kalyway picked the IO80211 driver from Wifi, which I am not sure if I picked when installing 10.5.3. I will goof around more once I have a "test" to use. thanks for all the update.

welp...something is definitely broken...Kalyway 10.5.2 works fine with 9.2 kernel + sleep, ALC889a worked, and Wifi WMP300N worked. After selecting the same drivers, (including the IO80211 10.4.5), no wifi, and no sound.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R

Video: Nvidia 8600GT

Mysticus... I am attempting to do what you suggest in your first post, and create a "TEST_AREA" partition to do any changes to, so that my boot partition is not affected.

Only snag is that I don't have room on my internal disk, so I've created a partition on a USB external HD - how would I go about booting off that? - I obviously won't see the partition on the USB drive if I hit F8 at boot...

Do I need to get EFI on the USB partition, and change the boot sequence in the BIOS?

Mysticus... I am attempting to do what you suggest in your first post, and create a "TEST_AREA" partition to do any changes to, so that my boot partition is not affected.

Only snag is that I don't have room on my internal disk, so I've created a partition on a USB external HD - how would I go about booting off that? - I obviously won't see the partition on the USB drive if I hit F8 at boot...

Do I need to get EFI on the USB partition, and change the boot sequence in the BIOS?

i answered that question check some posts back... (maybe 1-2 pages earlier)

Update News:

NEW UPDATE PACKAGE IN THE WORKS FOR DRIVERS only!!!

I will revise the drivers and fix most drivers that is not working. However, some of you still using modified drivers that means even if i replace the drivers the drivers will still not work due to missing device ids...

What i need from people, for 3-4 days, is please provide me files and information below, so I can make these drivers in a propar package and ensure it will work, I will reassemble the drivers this time myself (previous ones were taken from other packages soi didnt have much to take a look at each one...)

What I need?

=========

Which drivers you were using before? (Name of the driver, for example ionetworkingfamil.kext/contents/plugins/yukon2.kext)

And link to your latest WORKING version of IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT and IO80211Family.kext (please copy/ compress/ and upload somewhere... and post the link)

What is the device id for your device (ethernet, audio, wifi, device ids)

Many thanks Mysticus for answering all my questions and being patient about it. I have successfully updated my Leopard 10.5.1 by iATKOS using the 10.5.3 Update Package by Mysticus.

I have made a simple guide about the process I took based on Mysticus' own guide that hopefully will help other noobs in building their own Hackintoshes. Please do not ask me hard questions... we have the resident expert right here who always find the time to answer our questions... stupid or not. :(

Hi mate.

I´m posting it the log of my update process for you to see.

It´s hosted in Media Fire. The log is before installation.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmlop1ezmyr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate, just forget about this post.

I could get everything working fine this time. Just unselected the option about VIA chipset and everything went fine this time. :D

My log is above any way if you want to see it. :P

[]´s

delete the laptopdisplay.kext and i dont know what other deals are needed... bcoz you have a laptop and makes it harder to work with... i dont know what/which files needed, but screen cap would help :D

@mcgoo: your welcome...

post-228858-1213368528_thumb.jpg

can you tell us or provide links to us on how to do this? just for dumb people like me :D

i answered that question check some posts back... (maybe 1-2 pages earlier)

Update News:

NEW UPDATE PACKAGE IN THE WORKS FOR DRIVERS only!!!

I will revise the drivers and fix most drivers that is not working. However, some of you still using modified drivers that means even if i replace the drivers the drivers will still not work due to missing device ids...

What i need from people, for 3-4 days, is please provide me files and information below, so I can make these drivers in a propar package and ensure it will work, I will reassemble the drivers this time myself (previous ones were taken from other packages soi didnt have much to take a look at each one...)

What I need?

=========

Which drivers you were using before? (Name of the driver, for example ionetworkingfamil.kext/contents/plugins/yukon2.kext)

And link to your latest WORKING version of IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT and IO80211Family.kext (please copy/ compress/ and upload somewhere... and post the link)

What is the device id for your device (ethernet, audio, wifi, device ids)

Hi Mysticus.

Today I installed the new Version of the Package (1.3), and like before, almost everything works fine...almost. Like you remember, I had a problem with overheating...Today I also upgraded the BIOS of my Laptop and....it worked! No overheating. Then I installed the 10.5.3 package and...overheating was back :D . Was this your Package?

Hi Mysticus.

Today I installed the new Version of the Package (1.3), and like before, almost everything works fine...almost. Like you remember, I had a problem with overheating...Today I also upgraded the BIOS of my Laptop and....it worked! No overheating. Then I installed the 10.5.3 package and...overheating was back :D . Was this your Package?

Acers when they work are just great, but when they don't...

I experimented removing the two thermal kexts that iATKOS makers suggest you remove if you're on a laptop, but I could find no difference in temperature.

Are you dual booting with Vista/XP? I'm wondering what your temps are like with that, post the bios change.

@grooby: i dont understand what you question is?????

@Blue-k: overheating is probably related to speedstep not working and no powermanagement... you need to find the related drivers/patches for laptops for speedstep and powermanagement bundles... i know there are patches for this purpose, i just dont know where they are and which files involved. I said this before, I m not gonna do the homework for you... you gotta find the files involved and point them to me, only then i can include them in my next additional installer... also dont understand what is my package?

@breaking bad: i asked you to choose show all logs and get that, you choose only errors...

I am not gonna answer anymore help help help questions if you dont provide propar problem description and hardware profile... also if you want additional patches/drivers point the frigging files, if you dont know the driver i will not do the home work of searching for you... Please learn to do some search...

CLUE1: use google!

CLUE2: keywords: "whatever you wanna search" insanelymac for example, laptop power management bundle insanelymac... you can extend the examples by using correct keyword and insanelymac.... like amd decrypts insanelymac...

I cant stand the stupidity of majority of people who are asking help....

Said treat this as a test, warned already something may not work still, just point me the files... even provided a rock solid foundation guide... Still people asking help help help.... where da hell is the information?

@macmichi you wanna send screen cap? at least make it readable...

I cant stand the stupidity of majority of people who are asking help....

When I first started posting here I tried to be helpful and give back to the community that helped me for so many years. That lasted about a month. I found that all these ignorant idiots asking the same questions over and over... questions that had been answered many times in the past... questions whose answers were a quick google away... questions I would have loved to have easy answers to in the early days... these folks made me angry and I started telling them so. I quickly realized that was counterproductive. Now I just ignore them. :)

Hey Vapor, I can totally and completely understand your frustration. I hate that too. On the other hand, I've been playing around with Kalyway for about a month and in this forum about a month and I can honestly say that the amount of information in here is so scattered and overwhelming that its nearly impossible for someone new to figure out what is the right thing to do. Even the wiki has grown to be so large as to be overwhelming in this regard.

I for one, wish some of the knowledgeable people would create better dedicated webpages with information about how to go about getting things working on OSX. I have gotten my system working after an entire month of screwing around and reading a million posts, but frankly, I'm not sure it was worth all the time. Now that I have it working of course I love it. But man, the time involved to get here has been massive largely due to all the hunting through a million posts and trying to decipher fact from fiction or applicable from unapplicable. Slowly but surely I am learning the lingo, but really, the time involved to get here is been insane.

Hey Vapor, I can totally and completely understand your frustration. I hate that too. On the other hand, I've been playing around with Kalyway for about a month and in this forum about a month and I can honestly say that the amount of information in here is so scattered and overwhelming that its nearly impossible for someone new to figure out what is the right thing to do. Even the wiki has grown to be so large as to be overwhelming in this regard.

I for one, wish some of the knowledgeable people would create better dedicated webpages with information about how to go about getting things working on OSX. I have gotten my system working after an entire month of screwing around and reading a million posts, but frankly, I'm not sure it was worth all the time. Now that I have it working of course I love it. But man, the time involved to get here has been massive largely due to all the hunting through a million posts and trying to decipher fact from fiction or applicable from unapplicable. Slowly but surely I am learning the lingo, but really, the time involved to get here is been insane.

well i for example, made a full big topic regarding on specific chipset: nforce (i dont have anymore nforce but having one taught me a lot... people who by most compatible mobos dont even know what hard means trust me :(

although there is huge amount of information, it is not hard to harvest if you use specific keywords using google! trust me... google is the easiest and quickest way to reach to the answer 70-80% of the time...

I agree that the information is massive and it is totally uncontrolled...

I think this project became massive, needs some FAQ for certain most common problems!!! I tried to do this kind of stuffs on my main topic ... But it is only small section of problems...

OSX86 needs a more general FAQ part so before anyone go try osx, should read it...

For example, Some titles would be like this...

What you should know about HOW an OS works

What is kernel? driver? root? driver folders? caches? kext? device ids? safe mode? single user mode? terminal? permission? partition? mbr? guid?....?????

Before you start you should know that these listed hardwares has know troubles and dont work on osx...

2 x Nvidia gfx card (sli or not doesnt matter, excl dual cards) is a no-go

4gb ram is the center of random freezes on jmicron controller and nforce ata controllers

Check bios settings for below that are must be choosen..

Execute disable bit=enable

USB KB/mouse enable if you use usb keyboard

PS/2 keyboards require additional drivers so b4 having trouble get usb kb or ps/2-usb converter

Chipset Classifications: List below is classed in to small groups and OSX releases that work best listed 1st and others as well.

Nforce (intel): 1)Kalyway 10.5.2 2)iAtkos r3, ...

Nforce (AMD): Zephyroth 10.5.2 Kalyway

Drivers: This is the most important one and need serious database and class management

VGA Drivers: Including device/model information and device id information...

Audio Drivers

Network Drivers

Cardbus Drivers

Webcam Drivers

Chipset Drivers: (pata/sata controllers)

Most Common Problems and error Messages and What They Mean?

Waiting for root device... It means that your pata/sata controller is not recognized bcoz either it is not supported or its device ids missing in the drivers...

Panic: it usuall happens when a driver or kernel itself is not compatible or it has conflicting problems with other device drivers, etc... usually it shows details of which driver has problem... etc...

Blinking cursor: No bootloader is loading, it is missind or refusing to load due to some troubles/incompatibility of your hardware, usually different bootloader can be installed manually to solve these problems...

The list can grow, but noone is bothering to make one, ;) obviously it will be a huge job but it has to be in order to keep forums much tidier and clean...else forums will be filled with repeating questions and problems over and over again... which is consuming space in the database(s) and makes searching slow and sometimes inaccurate results due to stupid flooded messages...

Of course making one big topic like this will not solve problems but it will help sort things out easier... However stupid noobs will still flood bcoz in general noobs dont like to read... in first sentence you say, this thing doesnt work, and he/she will not read it, and try things and complain taht thing is not working, in fact he will go and open new topic for this kind of useless situations...

Truthfully, nobody said it was easy. Now, if you have a background in computers and know the concepts it really is quite simple. This stuff is child's play compared to the early days of Linux. I think the thing that makes it toughest on newbs is most of them come from the Windows world. That world is not only totally different, but it is not conducive to leaning jack {censored} about computing or computing concepts. They spend too much time trying to do things the Windows way in a unix world. That is totally counter productive. I've never used Windows in any way, shape, or form in my early dabblings with OS X. Only time I ever used windows is to play games or when working on customers machines to make my living. Sorry if I offend anyone, but Windows is simplistic mediocre garbage made for the unwashed masses. You will never learn anything with Windows except how to give Microsoft money. That's how they want it, too. My OSes of choice when I first started doing this were FreeBSD and Linux. I've also owned lots of Macs over the years... and SGI boxes... and Sun boxes... and some I've probably forgotten. Do I know as much as the real osx86 guru in the community? No way in hell, but I do know how to use, find, and interpret the available information. Easily 90% of the problems people have are caused by lack of understanding of basic concepts, lack of reading comprehension, impatience, and that I want it all right now and I want it given to me with no work attitude. People here can help, but we can't learn for you. If you want to use OS X without all the hassles there is a simple solution. Buy a Mac. ;)

Well for the record, I have been a software developer for 20 years, and frankly that is the only reason I have gotten it to work at all. I would not recommend OSX86 for anyone without some technical background, period. And frankly, now that I have it working, I will use it, but if I were going to do it again, I would just buy a mac, my time is more valuable then that. I will probably get a MacPro eventually, but now that I have 10.5.2 working ok, I will use it for a while and maybe get a MacPro next year.

Its not that it's difficult, but it does require certain information that can't be guessed or figured out through logic alone. And that information is scattered all over this forum, intermixed with a huge amount of misinformation, not to mention at least a dozen different approaches to the same problem, different releases by different people, etc.. Slowly I am getting a handle on who makes what releases, what patches are needed when, and which of the release information to ignore. But it has taken a month and way too much time reading through posts and trying things for me to get to this point. Many people people posting on this forum presume that anyone reading their post already understands all the acroynms and how all the various hackintosh things plug together.

+1 to the guy suggesting that we need a much better FAQ for this community. A lot of the endless repeating questions could be solved by simply keeping things up to date in an FAQ instead of assuming that everyone coming here new will be able to find the answers they need by searching this forum. searching this forum has been a huge pain in the ass until I finally came to understand what to ignore....actually I'm still not 100% clear on a few points, but repeated attempts to search for it have drawn up countless messages that don't tell the whole story, just infer that we already know many things...and asking directly has gotten replies=0 because people that do know are sick and tired of answering, and I can't blame them. The thing that is missing is a truly well organized, kept up to date FAQ. There are some things on the wiki, but its mostly never enough detail.

+1 about windows sucking ass. I've totally had it with windows and my experiment with osx86 has made me realize that I want to completely rid myself of windows from my life, but it will not be an overnight transition. Computers cost money.

Well for the record, I have been a software developer for 20 years, and frankly that is the only reason I have gotten it to work at all. I would not recommend OSX86 for anyone without some technical background, period. And frankly, now that I have it working, I will use it, but if I were going to do it again, I would just buy a mac, my time is more valuable then that. I will probably get a MacPro eventually, but now that I have 10.5.2 working ok, I will use it for a while and maybe get a MacPro next year.

Its not that it's difficult, but it does require certain information that can't be guessed or figured out through logic alone. And that information is scattered all over this forum, intermixed with a huge amount of misinformation, not to mention at least a dozen different approaches to the same problem, different releases by different people, etc.. Slowly I am getting a handle on who makes what releases, what patches are needed when, and which of the release information to ignore. But it has taken a month and way too much time reading through posts and trying things for me to get to this point. Many people people posting on this forum presume that anyone reading their post already understands all the acroynms and how all the various hackintosh things plug together.

I totally agree with you. I also think the single to noise ratio needs to be reduced. If you do that you make it much more pleasant for people like our friend Mysticus here (and others who contribute their work) to comment and help without having to wade through inane noob dribble. Moderation need to be much tighter here. When some idiot who can't even be bothered with attempting to read posts some {censored} like "HELP!! I CAN'T GET OS X TO RUN ON MY DELL!!!!" with no info about the machine, install method, anything... That type of post should be immediately deleted and the poster warned. Same with subjects that have already been covered and documented. The post should be deleted, the poster should be warned and referred to the relevant thread(s). The cruft needs to be reduced here.

Mysticus, I want to help by providing the driver information but in reality, I do not know where find find these information on my current machine. If you can provide a basic step by step (or link to a step by step) instruction on how to get the driver info from our machine, we can provide that to you, to help build this driver installation script.

@dewdman and vaport you both have valid points, but both have misconceptions as well :D

I have been into this project about 1.5 years now, i can say I am experienced user. I dont claim to be a master or anything... But when you think of the whole project, i came to a conclusion that it is not very hard to become an experienced user... It takes 2-3 weeks to be quite familiar if you have a will for it...

During my experience period I come to a realization that above mentioned topic titles (in my previous post) are definetely a must in a sticky post and must be a mandotary when newbies join and start polluting the area....

Someone has to dedicate his time for a week or two, can collect most of the information necessary to make a topic like that... And some recoding in the forum as well in order to enforce newbies to read this topic b4 they can actually post something... but of cource stupid people will never learn... they will just post w/o correctly reading things....

I started a topic for nforce chipsets, and one of the first things i said was before you ask for help, please make a hardware profile, people still post messages like help urgent help needed, i cant install... ooh your guide doesnt work... it didnt work... kind of messages still...

It is not like the information is not there... it is just people dont like to read... for example, i already said on board lan is a dream to work, it has tons of trouble, and it doesnt work although it has driver it causes more trouble.... dont use it... and people still ask for help on how to get on board lan... :)

I already said 4gb ram causes freezes on nforce, and people still hve it and complain and ask for help about what random freezes caused of when they have 4gb ram...

People usually place the answers in their first post (in my topic it is 2nd if you read it u will understand why) and add problems and solutions... so people dont have to read entire pages... But stupid idiots, never read and keep on posting problem when there are already answers....

So conclusion: There are enough answers and most of which are good enoug if you know how to read them... I am not saying as an Experienced user, because i was once a newbie as well... that is why i had to define newbie and noob=stupid and try to call people newbie when i can :) You dont need to be a master to find answers, there is google, and use your logic!!!! not that hard... But also like i said, there should be a very good sticky topic about most common things to know including FAQs and other suggested titles in the topic...

@grooby: boot to your everything working system (where all your devices working before the updates) and open terminal window and type

kextstat

and copy paste everything in that window to paste2.org and post the link.... it will show which drivers are loaded....

@MYSTICUS.

Hi mate.

I don´t know what went wrong with the log on installation but don´t worry.

I ran the update package and worked like a charm. No rebooting error now.

System is running real nice. :rolleyes:

I tested it with my 4 sticks of RAM and for my surprise is running quite nice. No troubles. I don´t know if it´s a miracle or something Kabyl´s made to my moded BIOS, but working with my 4 Gb of RAM don´t freezes up my system as well. :(

That´s really nice. :D

Gotta go.

Class tomorrow morning... or better... whole day in class. :(

[]´s

Mysticus C*, thank you for that little tidbit in your post just before this one about SLI. I've got 10.5.2 running very well on a pair of asus P5L-MX boards, one with ati 2600hd, the other has 8800gt. Both are fully working, lan, sound, dual monitors...nice :D

Anyway I also have a pair of xfx 680i LT boards, one with an 8800gt and the other has 2 8600GTS in SLI. The one with a single card is fully working except onboard lan, using a D-link wireless card instead, but I've been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get the one with 2 cards to work for about a week now. Everything is fine until you attempt to get the video card working right, then it's either a kernel panic or black screen on boot and now I know it's simply pointless to keep trying. Strange thing is it sees both cards, knows which one is connected and gives it an 800x600 resolution by default....oh well, guess I'll work on updating the others with your package now that it's done downloading.

Searching does not always get you the answer you need, sometimes it just falls into your lap while pursuing something else. :P

I have Leo4all v3...

After installing Jas 10.5.3 update, everything seemed fine except:

a. my usb drive did not automatically remount when I plugged it in..

b. my mouse and keyboard would not automatically connect if I unplugged them.

Is there a USB device mounting issue in 10.5.3?

I have Leo4all v3...

After installing Jas 10.5.3 update, everything seemed fine except:

a. my usb drive did not automatically remount when I plugged it in..

b. my mouse and keyboard would not automatically connect if I unplugged them.

Is there a USB device mounting issue in 10.5.3?

It happens when u manually change kernel and system kext to non matching. I ve an installer for this issue just search... However can u tell me did it happen after my update package? Or u happen to play with kernel by yourself later? Bcos I made the package USB mount fixed no matter which option u choose! It is down to u that u manually changed kernel afterwards? I guess?

Edit: after reading ur message again... I realized that u r noob... What da hell? Jas update? And ask for help in my topic? :P guys I hate u!!! Buy a mercedes and bring it to bmw dealer to fix :D

@fongle: i know searching doesnt always help i already said/meant 70-80% of the time answers found easy , 20-30% of the time not very easy but it is up to ones' will... when you bang your head around a bit sometimes, answers by accident can be found as well... this is is the beauty of this project... some answers better to be learned the harder way, only than you learn better! and learning curve steeps... i learned a lot by just randomly reading materials... i start searching something and get to something else through my searches...