Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Installed 10.5.3 update default settings and got stuck at Apple logo with spinning gear.

With -v:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x002D8BDE): "nfs_boot_init failed with 6\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.4.31/bsd/nfs/nfs_vfsops.c:851

Debugger called: <panic>

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: OEM

<end>

Here's my specs:

Foxconn G965 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz Processor

ICH8R and Jmicron 361 Controller

2 GB RAM

NVidia 7200GS (same ID as 7300 SE)

Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet

250 GB Hitachi SATA (Vista)

160 GB Seagate SATA (Leopard 10.5.2 KalywayComboUpdate w/ 9.2.0 Kernel by nektas)

160 GB Samsung SATA (Leopard Clone - Test)

DVD-RW Drive (with IDE to SATA Converter)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Installed 10.5.3 update default settings and got stuck at Apple logo with spinning gear.

With -v:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x002D8BDE): "nfs_boot_init failed with 6\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.4.31/bsd/nfs/nfs_vfsops.c:851

Debugger called: <panic>

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: OEM

<end>

Here's my specs:

Foxconn G965 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz Processor

ICH8R and Jmicron 361 Controller

2 GB RAM

NVidia 7200GS (same ID as 7300 SE)

Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet

250 GB Hitachi SATA (Vista)

160 GB Seagate SATA (Leopard 10.5.2 KalywayComboUpdate w/ 9.2.0 Kernel by nektas)

160 GB Samsung SATA (Leopard Clone - Test)

DVD-RW Drive (with IDE to SATA Converter)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

are you sure u installed with default settings?bcoz error message says 9.2.2 kernel and the kernel in update package is 9.2.0 the only way for it to change is you must have changed it to one of the two 9.2.2 kernels inside... make sure to not select any kernel selection...

by default system will install 9.2.0 kernel + 9.2.0 system.kext...

also is your main system's kernel 9.2.2 kernel? bcoz what i suspect is, you are booting from the other test hdd and didnt do the suggested settings? what it is trying to do is using your main system's kernel (i think it is 9.2.2) and trying to boot to your test hdd's partition? and somethings are definetely not compatible...

like i said, make a totally fresh install wipe your hdd, and follow the partitioning guide in post#1. and create the partitions the way i suggested... once you understand the idea, you can make your own configs...

and again after partitioning, installing the base system...

follow the guide to make a clone (partition) system on the same hdd but test partition (not on another hdd...)

and dont use the vanilla kernel! it sucks on hackintosh systems ;) trust me on that... one system dont restart/shutdown, one system something else, always problematic...

right now the problem i see is your kernel... another way to test your test partition right now is, change the kernel on your main system to 9.2.0 sleep kernel :P see if it helps...

Have a question for you, Mysticus. I'm getting lots of SUID errors when I do a permission repair after updating with your updater. I'm guessing these can be ignored and aren't specific to osx86 and are bugs in Apple's updated disk utility. Your thoughts?

Have a question for you, Mysticus. I'm getting lots of SUID errors when I do a permission repair after updating using netkas' method, so I decided to see what happens with your updater and I'm getting the same SUID errors. I'm guessing these can be ignored and aren't specific to osx86 and are bugs in Apple's updated disk utility. Your thoughts?

if you can show me the exact screen shot of errors, i may have a guess, cant say w/o seeing any...

Sure, here you go:

Repairing disk permissions

Tue Jun 10 13:21:17 CDT 2008

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Mephisto
Group differs on "bin/ps", should be 0, group is 80
Warning: SUID file "bin/ps" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/ipcs", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/ipcs", should be -r-s--x--x , they are -rws--x--x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/ipcs" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/top", should be 0, group is 80
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/top" has been modified and will not be repaired
Permissions differ on "usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.2.0.dylib", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x 
Group differs on "usr/libexec/load_hdi", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/load_hdi", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SCHelper" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/sbin/scselect", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/sbin/scselect", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/scselect" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "sbin/umount", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "sbin/umount", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/setregion", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/setregion", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/libexec/authopen", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/authopen", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/login", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/login", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/login" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/lib/sa/sadc", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/lib/sa/sadc", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/lib/sa/sadc" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/libexec/chkpasswd", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/chkpasswd", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/chkpasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/lppasswd", should be 26, group is 80
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/lppasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/quota", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/quota", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/at", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/at", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/at" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/atq", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/atq", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atq" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/atrm", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/atrm", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atrm" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/batch", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/batch", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/batch" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/chfn", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/chfn", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chfn" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/chpass", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/chpass", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chpass" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/chsh", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/chsh", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chsh" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/newgrp", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/newgrp", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/newgrp" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "usr/bin/passwd", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/passwd", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/passwd" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/Resources/pmTool" has been modified and will not be repaired
Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired

Finished verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Mephisto

Tue Jun 10 13:22:17 CDT 2008

Permissions repair complete

The machine is operating fine. Just curious as to why all the errors?

try this and see if it helps...

open terminal window (applications/utilities/terminal)

once in terminal

sudo su

(enter your password)

diskutil repairPermissions /

and wait patiently... this should try to do fixing in root mod, more privilages...

report back if u get same errors...

Hi vaporATX and Mysticus,

I can confirm that I get no errors after Disk Utility Permissions repair on my Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install OS X Boot Volume, whereas I too get multiple SUID file repair permission errors after Disk Utility Permissions repair and also after a superuser repairPermissions on my Mysticus 10.5.3 Updated OS X Volumes......

I had not mentioned it before as I have experienced no obvious running /performance problems as a result of these multiple "SUID file......has been modified and will not be repaired" warnings.....

Hi vaporATX and Mysticus,

I can confirm that I get no errors after Disk Utility Permissions repair on my Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install OS X Boot Volume, whereas I too get multiple SUID file repair permission errors after Disk Utility Permissions repair and also after a superuser repairPermissions on my Mysticus 10.5.3 Updated OS X Volumes......

I had not mentioned it before as I have experienced no obvious running /performance problems as a result of these multiple "SUID file......has been modified and will not be repaired" warnings.....

any problems/issues in the update package? during and after install?

I am getting the same SUID errors when repairing permissions. Instal was iATKOSv2.0i on my Acer 4720z, Dual Core, santa rosa, gma x3100.On a brighter note, shudown works fully. I had been using Taruga ALC628 (package revision 5) with AppleHDA.kext (the package can be downloaded from an insanelymac thread about the Acer 5220 - just use the search terms Taruga Acer 5220 and insanelymac in Google. Previously the laptop never shutdown fully, the screen simply went black. This time, having done a clean install of iATKOS, installed your updater and then Taruga ALC628 and then the installed the supplied AppleHDA.kext via kext helper B7... I have full and complete shutdown. Very, very happy about that!

Edit. Again, sorry, this is in some ways a distraction but... the same cannot be said on my Acer Extensa 5620 - Taruga's installer fails.

try this and see if it helps...open terminal window (applications/utilities/terminal)once in terminalsudo su(enter your password)diskutil repairPermissions /and wait patiently... this should try to do fixing in root mod, more privilages...report back if u get same errors...

Same errors.

Going to try and repair permissions on the Acer 5620 and see if it's the same.

Yes, same thing. Does this mean we should ditch iATKOS and so on and just use Kalyway? I had USB problems with Kalyway on my laptops and a workaround only partially worked, so I gave up and went with iATKOS, which 'out of the box' seems to work better than Kalyway and marginally better than Leo4allv3.

Having come this far, I have no objections, nor right to objections(!) if you say please folks, use Kalyway 10.5.2.

I dont really understand why disk utility gui or command prompt, cannt solve it?... and you said it happens in kalyway update package as well? have u tried original apple update package as well?
Myself, I haven't tried kalyway 10.5.3 update package. I tried a fresh instal using kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and it didn't sit well with my laptops. I can't recall if I have had the same errors when going from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2, though have seen them before. I think usually what I have done is wait for a full instal DVD but, meatime, I hadn't noticed any problems in daily use.

Edit - I just now borrowed a friend's laptop, same 5620 Extensa that he wants me to help him put your update on. Before doing so I will try repairing permissions and see what happenes. Again, this is a clean instal of iATKOSv2.0i. Be back shortly.

Possibly not a hugely useful exercise! Anyway, here is the unadulterated iATKOSv2.0i instal, with only Applications folder migrated.

Repairing permissions for "MacHD1"

Group differs on @home@, should be 20, group is 0.

User differs on "Library/Temp/darwin.rtf", should be 501, user is 0.

Group differs on "Library/Temp/darwin.rtf", should be -rw-r--r--, they are -rwxr-x.

Group differs on "net", should be 20, group is 0.

Group differs on "private/var/log/install.log", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions on "private/var/log/install.log", should be -rw-r--r--, they are -rw-r----- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/Contents/Info.plist". should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleSMBIOS", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions repair complete.

That's as it was with my own laptop. I have two OS X instal partitions, in case one gets broken. I also have two login accounts for each, one being the Admin obviously, and another for just surfing, non admin. I install from the Admin account that I have booted into on to same. I do the same for the other OS X partition.

Myself, I haven't tried kalyway 10.5.3 update package. I tried a fresh instal using kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and it didn't sit well with my laptops. I can't recall if I have had the same errors when going from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2, though have seen them before. I think usually what I have done is wait for a full instal DVD but, meatime, I hadn't noticed any problems in daily use.

Edit - I just now borrowed a friend's laptop, same 5620 Extensa that he wants me to help him put your update on. Before doing so I will try repairing permissions and see what happenes. Again, this is a clean instal of iATKOSv2.0i. Be back shortly.

just to let you know that i added fix permission as a command in the update package and it should be doing it just fine, you can see it in the install log as well :dev:

vapor

I think i may know how to fix suid errors :P but requires a little bit of command, will make a small script file to see how it will work on your system... :)

in the mean time, i want you to try something in your test system?

open terminal

sudo su

password

cd /

chown -R 0:0 /

diskutil repairPermissions /

and let me know the results? :)

the error on the screen is ownership error, 0 is root it want the files to be zero i m guessin? so make the entire thing owned by root and fix the permission to see in the test system how it will react? note that this will make your profile also go to root, so it may not let you change your own files :) but it is not hard to get back ownership just go to users folder and right click on your account show info

on the very bottom you will see lock, open it, enter password, and than make the owner your account name from the list :)

just to let you know that i added fix permission as a command in the update package and it should be doing it just fine, you can see it in the install log as well :dev:
Hi there good sir :P You mean in the installer as I have it, which is to say V1.2 in my case, or a newer installer? If I remember correctly fix permissions is checked off by default? No, wait, I'm thinking " Finalize ", is that one and the same or just a clean up? Happy to download and try again. Will hold off until you say. Second notebook is virgin iATKOSv2.0i at the mo.

Ok. I restored my 10.5.2 install and did the 10.5.3 update using netkas' method, applied the AHCI fix, and added the efi string for my graphics card. The permission problems are gone. I wiped that and restored the 10.5.2 install again and applied Mysticus' updater to test if this was the problem... yep, same permission problems again. So this is a problem with your updater, Mysticus. I haven't tested the Kalyway updater to see if it has this same problem.

Hi there good sir :dev: You mean in the installer as I have it, which is to say V1.2 in my case, or a newer installer? If I remember correctly fix permissions is checked off by default? No, wait, I'm thinking " Finalize ", is that one and the same or just a clean up? Happy to download and try again. Will hold off until you say. Second notebook is virgin iATKOSv2.0i at the mo.

v1.3 latest, i think 1.2 should have it as well :P

hi Mysticus C!

I tried the v.1.3 install twice yet and it hang both times!

first from Kaly10.5.1+comboupdate10.5.2 and here it hang saying smth like:

usr/sbin/ocspd[97] starting;

on second boot: usr/sbin/ocspd[100] starting;

here I choosed vanilla 9.3 and maybe sth else, sry don't know anymore!

second install from kaly 10.5.1 and here I get:

configd[34]: Interfacenamer: no networkinterfaces, could not update platform UUID

I also had to set the partition active again to be able to boot after updating!

I think I left everything default except unchecking nforce ata!

tried on both booting with -f too.

help would be appreciated

ps: I have a Intel pro/100 VE built in ethernet controller, in case the message after the second update is related to it, and the lan installer doesn't has it in! thx

hi Mysticus C!

I tried the v.1.3 install twice yet and it hang both times!

first from Kaly10.5.1+comboupdate10.5.2 and here it hang saying smth like:

usr/sbin/ocspd[97] starting;

on second boot: usr/sbin/ocspd[100] starting;

here I choosed vanilla 9.3 and maybe sth else, sry don't know anymore!

second install from kaly 10.5.1 and here I get:

configd[34]: Interfacenamer: no networkinterfaces, could not update platform UUID

I also had to set the partition active again to be able to boot after updating!

I think I left everything default except unchecking nforce ata!

tried on both booting with -f too.

help would be appreciated

ps: I have a Intel pro/100 VE built in ethernet controller, in case the message after the second update is related to it, and the lan installer doesn't has it in! thx

i dont remember right now if the package contains the driver or not, if it did, it should have it in the lan package, check the info in it...

interfacenamer is to your network card? if you checked the lan package info and it doesnt have the driver, you may need to install that driver as well...

but funny thing is i dont know why you are hanging in ocspd (i dont know what ocspd deamon is related to) also no need to update to 10.5.2... 10.5.1 can be update to 10.5.3... that why the package is combo!

also, update package has nothing to do with active partitions, you must have fingered somethings else by yourself...

and read my guide about test system on post#1 :( if you can arrange your system, taht way, it will be easier to transfer old files and make tests much faster w/o needing to reinstall entire system, just restore...

@detosx: yes finalize has the fix permission as well as the ahci replacement drivers...