Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

any idea for me?

would a sceenshot help? :blink:

delete the laptopdisplay.kext and i dont know what other deals are needed... bcoz you have a laptop and makes it harder to work with... i dont know what/which files needed, but screen cap would help :lol:

@mcgoo: your welcome...

I did what you said and still Marvell Yukon card doesn't work in 10.5.3. Works in Main partition with 10.5.1 and on my other hdd with 10.5.2...

Hey ericp, I told that to Mysticus but he only said "why do not install the kext included in my package" and I say ????

That's what I did and my network card couldnt work. Now I got it working but I didnt use mysticus package, maybe it wont work well on all motherboards.

hi there,

I used the package to update from 10.5.0 to 10.5.3 as described in post #1, howeven Mac OS X won't boot anymore, displaying the following error:

Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort" with older/same version (1.0.5 -> 1.5.1).

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;

use only one style.

And then nothing happens (freezes).

So in Windows I deleted the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.post extension, but no results at all.

Please, please help me. I really have no clue where to start fixing (no similar issues found in the forums).

Thanks!

@mactigre: i dont know what the deal is with yukon2 driver but i dont think it is any different than adding the driver/device ids in correct form... obviously you guys are not able to do it in either way? i said in the first post, that if drivers dont work, then point me the links that were working i will make an installer for additional drivers, and noone so far did that!!! i asked to provide propar information about your hardwares, i dont see it apart from couple of people...

how do you guys expect help? do you think i know all of you guys' hardwares by heart? most of you are keep choosing vanilla kernel as well, as if it is working fully... anyways... if you guys making different choices and dont know how they work, and dont even provide files/information regarding the problems... how can you expect help...

some of you guys really noob! just complain about please help please please... it wont solve anything... if you dont provide information, and it looks bunch of noobs doesnt even know what i mean...

i made the installer, and placed a test system guide, and even said if drivers doesnt work, point me to last working ones, i will make an installer for these drivers... i dont know what else should i say...

Ok Mysticus, I'll provide more details then.

I ran OS X 10.5.0 (Brazilmac DVD) on a Pentium D (2,8 Ghz) with 3GB SDRAM on a Dell Dimension 5150 with Geforce 7800 LE 128mb videocard (1 vga and 1 dvi output). I have a 250gb harddisk on which several partitions are made. On one partition is Mac OS X 10.5.3, booting from a Darwin bootloader that was automatically provided with the brazilmac dvd install.

I've searched this forum again and came across the same issue, however the solution by Sinister_X made no changes for me. I guess that AppleACPIPlatform and/or AppleAHCIPort extensions are not correctly updated by your scripts.

I did not choose any other options from your installer besides the lan-kit,videocodecs and vlc player.

What I also did after having these issues is remove the extensions I mentioned earlier (the ones that OS X complains about) and replaced them with the extention (AppleACPIPlatform) provided by Sinister_X.

I did not ask for a perfect solution, just help me by pointing out where I should start looking to fix the upgrade-issues.

Thanks.

I am a fan of GUID, my laptop is a little zippier and resizing is a breeze. The hassle factor, on the other hand...

I just tried Kalyway 10.5.2 and Jas 10.5.3 updater. I get the same Warning SUID messages on repair disk permissions as I got with your installer and iATKOSv2.0i.

Will experiment with imaging tomorrow. Thanks for your pointers :(

you must be doing something wrong, just send me the working IONetworking.kext file... upload your working one to somewhere, and i will make a small package to see if u were doing it right or not...

Sent you pm with links to kext file. Thanks Mysticus! :ninja:

Everything seems to be working fine, though the JMicron AHCI SATA no longer is identified (shows "unknown AHCI controller" for those two ports); no big deal since I wasn't using them. And I guess I read somewhere that that was to be expected.

I used the default kernel (sleep 9.2.0) and it now re-starts nicely again -_- ... somewhere along the line that had failed. I normally don't "sleep" my system, just turn it off or turn off the monitors since I'm usually running Transmission, but sleep/wake worked before and still works fine. Also don't know if I missed something in the installer, but I had to dig up the kexts for my on-board audio (alc889a) and re-install them (ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext)... the sound panel wasn't showing any hardware till I did that, but now that's back to normal. I backed up my 10.5.2 startup partition (GUID-partitioned) using SuperDuper (twice, actually, to be extra safe: Once to my second boot drive, MBR formatted, with an XP partition--though I usually just run XP from a separate virtual machine in VMware Fusion--and the other to a Sparse Image on my GUID-partitioned backup/storage drive). I was glad I didn't have to revert back to my backup; I guess I would have, had re-installing the ALC889a kexts not solved my sound issue, but things are running very well now. Oddly, the default identifier of the system as a Mac Pro meant that Software Update now offered me a firmware update for my ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT; an update I think I wisely chose to "ignore".

Anyway, all the important stuff is working fine. Thanks a bunch for your great installer... I'd read of too many headaches people were having with the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo updater to jump right on it and was a bit put off by the statement that there might be problems with ATI graphics cards. Maybe it would have worked well for me, too, but yours was really a breeze to use and I can only recommend it to anyone else with similar hardware wanting to move on to 10.5.3

Great work, Mysticus C! :ninja:

has any1 successfully installed this package with XPS M1530? what option did you choose? I tried 5 times but it got error while booting :ninja:

BTW my system specs: XPS M1530, T5450, 8400GS, 2GB ram, 160GB hdd, dell wireless N, installed leo4allv3 (vanilla 9.2.2) with some driver packages: dual monitor work, QE/CI, sound, FFS,......

@Mysticus C: thank you, now I can use my ex hdd for testing!

@Mysticus

Finally got the 1.3 Updater dl'd and just attempted the update on a third, and clean install partition via Kalyway 10.5.1 > Kalyway Combo 10.5.2 > your 10.5.3 Combo selecting only the update and i'm still getting the stall after the MAC framework successfully initializing seen in that same screen. I'm not sure why the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo with 9.3.1 Vanilla works stable still, and yours does not. Like i said before, i'm not as knowledgable as you on how OSx86 works but if there is anything i can do to help let me know :thumbsdown_anim:

@Mysticus

Finally got the 1.3 Updater dl'd and just attempted the update on a third, and clean install partition via Kalyway 10.5.1 > Kalyway Combo 10.5.2 > your 10.5.3 Combo selecting only the update and i'm still getting the stall after the MAC framework successfully initializing seen in that same screen. I'm not sure why the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo with 9.3.1 Vanilla works stable still, and yours does not. Like i said before, i'm not as knowledgable as you on how OSx86 works but if there is anything i can do to help let me know :D

can you post me some files (copy compress and upload somewhere and post the link please) after you updated to 10.5.3 using kalyway

These two files looks like the problem but i may be wrong... (bcoz the screen where it stalls, is a same a common problem in MSI mobos due to their bios being stupid :P Kabyl is the guy making bios patches for bad bioses... http://osrom.net/biosmod/)

The two files below usually replaced with older versions for bad bioses in the short term, but in the long term bios patch is a must... however i wanna see wheter kalyway has replaced these files or not by looking at their versions... and compare it to mine :) )

AppleACPIFamily.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

@Cyppher: I understand people's frustration about seeing people having worked out but not on their own systems... But imagine my frustration? Look you are no different than others for me that i m trying to help, and if you dont provide propar details I cannot figure out problems...

Hardware profile in signature is a MUST and 90-99% of people dont know what it is and what you need it for! Sometimes problems are not on updates or softwares directly but in your mobo's bios! For example generally MSI mobo's and some ASUS laptops are known to have bios problems (check this and see yourself a list of trouble mobos and fixes for them http://osrom.net/biosmod/ Kabyl is doing a great job fixing these bioses.

Propar problem information (including screen caps or if you know how to grab system logs) is the most important part which majority of the people are failing to do so... Most people are complaining that after update, system doesnt boot, please help please help...

Well imagine the situation now: I already said in post#1 if some of the devices doesnt work, point me links to these devices' last working drivers, i will make an additional installer... WHERE ARE THE FILES? I said use this as a TEST, dont make it main stream until you are sure, because this is one of the most common problem for people who come and install and do a major update on their system w/o knowing/learning their systems... You can just jump on major updates on the day one... PLus, most of the time, one system work fine where as another system may not, neeeding couple of more patches due to some other problems... THATS WHY I MADE AN ADDITIONAL GUIDE FOR PEOPLE TO PREPARE THEIR SYSTEM FOR A ROCK SOLID FOUNDATION, how many people have done it? Why do you need to do it? Well think of it this way, you made the update, and some devices doestnt work? just boot to main, and copy the older working files and fix permissions and there you go... w/o too much hassle you ve a working updated system... plus a back up system...

+ Hardware specs/profile is a must!

+ Correct problem information (including screen caps or system.logs) is a must

without these two, dont even ask for a help... becasue i cant shoot in the dark... dont call a mechanic and ask him to repair your car, if you dont know what car you have and what possible things are not working... bcoz if you just say repair my car they will either ask you to bring the car in or they will laugh at you...

EDIT: http://osrom.net/biosmod/ is no more working for some reason... Kabyl may have put a pause on bios patchin for a while may be i dont know...

But now DiskUtility gives me a laundry list of errors when I run repair permissions. What's up with that? Here is the output from my second start-up volume which I cloned last night before updating (i.e. from my Kalyway 10.5.2 volume, pre-update):

(insert edit: I changed my screen name earlier today to celebrate having a fully functional system... wasn't feeling so "n00b-like" anymore. I see it doesn't change the name by my previous post, though, so just to clear up any confusion, I'm the same user as "JestaN00b", just a few posts back. Maybe I changed my screen-name too soon... LOL :rolleyes:

Repairing permissions for “Leopard2”

Reading permissions database.

Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions repair complete

No problems at all... And here is the list of errors I get when I run it now on my new 10.5.3 volume:

Repairing permissions for “Leo1”

Reading permissions database.

Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Group differs on "usr/libexec/load_hdi", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/load_hdi", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "sbin/mount_nfs", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "sbin/mount_nfs", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "sbin/mount_nfs" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SCHelper" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/scselect", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/sbin/scselect", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/scselect" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "sbin/umount", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "sbin/umount", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "sbin/ping", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "sbin/ping", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "sbin/ping" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "sbin/ping6", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "sbin/ping6", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "sbin/ping6" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "sbin/route", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "sbin/route", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "sbin/route" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/netstat", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/sbin/netstat", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/netstat" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/traceroute", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/sbin/traceroute", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/traceroute" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "bin/rcp", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "bin/rcp", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "private/etc/authorization", should be 0, group is 80.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/setregion", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/setregion", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/libexec/authopen", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/authopen", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/login", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/login", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/login" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/lib/sa/sadc", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/lib/sa/sadc", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/lib/sa/sadc" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/libexec/chkpasswd", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/chkpasswd", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/chkpasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/lppasswd", should be 26, group is 80.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/lppasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/quota", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/quota", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/ipcs", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/ipcs", should be -r-s--x--x , they are -rws--x--x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/ipcs" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/traceroute6", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/sbin/traceroute6", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/traceroute6" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/rlogin", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/rlogin", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/rsh", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/rsh", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/su", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/su", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/su" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/at", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/at", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/at" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/atq", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/atq", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atq" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/atrm", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/atrm", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atrm" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/batch", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/batch", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/batch" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/chfn", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/chfn", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chfn" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/chpass", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/chpass", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chpass" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/chsh", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/chsh", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/newgrp", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/newgrp", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/newgrp" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/passwd", should be 0, group is 80.

Permissions differ on "usr/bin/passwd", should be -r-sr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/passwd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "usr/bin/top", should be 0, group is 80.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/top" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/Resources/pmTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/Localizable.strings", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions repair complete

:blink: I've never seen any "warnings" when repairing permissions. And I honestly don't know what to make of them all. :unsure:

Does everyone get this from the patched update and is this really a problem? For now, this is merely a curiosity, but if someone a bit more savvy to the significance of this could enlighten me a bit as to what might be going on, and whether or not it's really an issue, I'd be most grateful.

i doubt they will have any effect on the system's performance or working condition... but i will check if i get those errors (just as a note, couple of people reported that kalyway update and jas's update also gave those permissions) so i dont know what caused them to get 80 but lets see what comes :rolleyes:

Hi mate.

How ya doing??

Well, I´m here because I´m facing trouble with the update package.

Everytime I try to install it, when it comes to 70% of the installation proccess, it pops up one screen asking me to reboot.

I´m using the settings you told in the first post but I keep getting the same reboot message before finishing update proccess.

I´m trying to install it in the same HD partition that I booted in.

Any idea of what could be this error?? Any problem like this showed up in the forum??

Thnx in advance.

[]´s

Yeah... having googled the board (sorry, should have done that first, but at least people will find this when searching on SUID warnings), I've found a number of other people have had similar issues and vaporATX posted a solution.

I may go ahead and try what vaporATX did to clear this up, just to be on the safe side. I think you're right, though. My system seems to be stable, at least.

Thanks for your reply, Mysticus C

if the suid is bothering you guys, i will make a script for it in the mean time, and apply the script to next update package :) v1.4 :)no big deal anyway...
I agree that it's probably no big deal. OTOH, it'd be hard to know if anything else that might crop up (in terms of permissions repair errors) was something to deal with. It's such a long list of warnings and stuff, I'm not sure I'd notice if it ever changed and/or would really know what the issue was if, indeed, the permissions set ever did interfere with anything else. Some day I hope to be savvy enough about the inner workings of OS X to be able to write the scripts you do and know that I'm not screwing anything/everything up. ;)Kudos for all your hard work and thanks for all the support you've given everyone and continue to dole out. Your contributions to the community are certainly appreciated.
Like Mysticus said, the suid warnings won't hurt anything. I'm just kinda anal about such things. :P
LOL... I guess I must be, too, if I'm actually still planning to go through the extra trouble of a new update using the netkas/vaporATX method. :o Then again, it's one more step toward a better understanding of all the kernel extensions we're using... and good practice with using the Terminal.

you sent me either wrong files? or you dont know what driver your card is using?

you said yukon2, both ionetworkfamily, contains identical yukon2 driver...

Didn't you ask me to send you the working IONetwork kext? I DID THAT. I just added the non-working IONetwork kext from 10.5.3 for reference. The AppleYukon2 driver happens to be the same on both files since as I told you I already modified it to my Device ID... and yet it doesn't work too!

So, did I get your instructions clear or am I missing something?

@Mysticus,

i don't seem to have AppleACPIFamily.kext on any of my partitions, but do have the AppleAPIC.kext. Did you by chance mean a different file? Perhaps AppleACPIPlatform.kext? That is the only kext with AppleACPI* in it on my drive.

EDIT:

I did a little snooping and the AppleAPIC.kext is seemingly identical on all three partitions while the AppleACPIPlatform.kext (if this file matters) is the same version, 1.0.3, but the sizes and modification dates are different. Also the info.plist lists your install as version 1.2.0 as well as a number of other differences.

Could this kext be the issue? I may swap kexts from my Kaly install and see if i can boot...

EDIT2:

So, i went ahead and swapped the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the kaly partition ... guess what? I booted just fine! Apparently AppleACPIPlatform.kext was causing the hang, so i assume you meant that kext instead of the Family one. Hope that helps!

@Mysticus,

i don't seem to have AppleACPIFamily.kext on any of my partitions, but do have the AppleAPIC.kext. Did you by chance mean a different file? Perhaps AppleACPIPlatform.kext? That is the only kext with AppleACPI* in it on my drive.

EDIT:

I did a little snooping and the AppleAPIC.kext is seemingly identical on all three partitions while the AppleACPIPlatform.kext (if this file matters) is the same version, 1.0.3, but the sizes and modification dates are different. Also the info.plist lists your install as version 1.2.0 as well as a number of other differences.

Could this kext be the issue? I may swap kexts from my Kaly install and see if i can boot...

EDIT2:

So, i went ahead and swapped the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the kaly partition ... guess what? I booted just fine! Apparently AppleACPIPlatform.kext was causing the hang, so i assume you meant that kext instead of the Family one. Hope that helps!

yes my bad :D thats the file i was asking, family platform mixed up :P

this indicates a bad bios problem on your system!, it works with an older version of acpiplatform but not the never one... you need to talk to Kabyl and ask him if he can make a bios patch for you (as you would understand it has risks :) flashing with a modded bios may harm, but never heard from kabyl he had any problem so far... ) hopefully once you get a modded bios you will not have problem with older or newer acpiplatform :)

this should be his IM topic...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=645792

welp..went from Kalyway 10.5.2 to this and lost my wifi. I have the WMP300N, which was showing up under 10.5.2 as broadcom chipset. However the 10.5.3's broadcom wifi kext didn't work.

Treat this as a TEST... Although safe, make sure you back up your important stuffs before updates, and test it on an additional partition...