Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

I'm getting an error if I selected the efi 8600 GTS kext for the graphics driver. However if I select the nvinject version, it installs just fine. Anyone else experience this?

i checked the issue and confirm it is an error by me, it is inside the script, while copying some long addresses i over copied one and sits there with nothing... so it will give error... :) my bad when working with too many scripts, i make mistakes sometimes... use pacifist to extract the file and install it manually... sorry mate... and thanx for pointing out the issue... will fix that later...

System:

Asus PW5 Deluxe. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz. NVIDIA 7900GTX. Hitachi Deskstar 250Gb. 2mb Kingston DDR2 800mhz.

Clean install using Kalyway 10.5.2. And using bios settings from Lifehacker here:

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

Working: Audio. WIFI. Network. Sleep. USB. Firewire. Fan control.

One thing puzzles me. After installing your fine 10.5.3 package, I cannot browse to other shares on my network. Previous to the 10.5.3 update, I could browse both Mac and PC but whatever configuration I choose when installing this update (no network drivers for instance) the network shares give me a 'connection refused'. However, this system can still be browsed from other Mac or PC systems.

I've tried a number of alternative configurations to install the update but to no avail. I still get 'connection refused'. I know that network shares on 10.5.x have had some issues, but 10.5.2 seemed to have fixed them. It looks like something in your update breaks the sharing of files to both pc and Mac. Anyone else having the same or similar problems?

I've also tried the many fixes here:

http://www.macwindows.com/leopard

...but no joy

My other (real) Macs running 10.5.3 have no cross-platfrom issues connectiong to either Mac or PCs.

Many thanks to you and all the fine peeps on this forum for all the support I've gathered.

@Mysticus C*

nice works mate, two thumb 4 u, but can i ask, is ur combo update works for HD 3650 user?? because i use combo update from other version got some problem

@Mysticus C*

nice works mate, two thumb 4 u, but can i ask, is ur combo update works for HD 3650 user?? because i use combo update from other version got some problem

i m not sure about 3650 but if it was working before? it should work still i think, just make sure you back up your previous atindrv.kext and natit for in case testing...

the update package may have some minor issues due to scripts, but most likely particual drivers i think... not bcoz it would not work but bcoz of typo errors it wouldnt run the scripts... apart from that, there should not be any problem... make sure you back up thos two drivers i said...

atindrv.kext and natit.kext

@Mysticus C,

I've managed to get 10.5.3 up and running and took the opportunity to get me an extra test installation on another partition.

However, my system boots very very slow now - with no screen output for approx 5 minutes.

My guess (after reading lots of posts) it's the kernel (9.2.0) from your update-package that's causing the boot delay.

This is exactly what I did:

1. installed your update package with default selections (additional vlc player and codecs included)
  2. system didn't boot at all - so placed back kernel and all (backed up) extentions from 10.5.0 version
  3. system booted and started up correctly (in "about this mac" current version seemed to be 10.5.3)
  4. installed Kalyway 10.5.3 pkg's - with no addition kernel selection and rebooted with 'update -v'
  5. system didn't boot again (displaying errors related to acpiplatform)
  6. placed back the 9.2.0 kernel (kernel_mach file) from your package (just as I read somewhere else)
  7. after logging in safe mode and rebooting again it started (very slow boot though)
  8. all next startups went very slow - no visual output (screens went into sleepmode)

When booting in verbose mode, there are no severe warnings, except for the ACPIPlatform and PCIConfiguration errors ("use only one style"). I've found all logs - if you want to see them (or parts of it) let me know which ones please.

See my signature for all hardware / configuration specs.

Am I right assuming the slow boot issue is caused by a probably misplaced kernel? If yes, how do I find the right kernel, where should I start looking for a solution (eg logfiles)?

Thanks in advance!

you said with default settings? did you add nvinject? bcoz previous nvinjects are not working... it needs to be edited or use one from my package which will delete previous versions of titan natit and nvinject and adds latest nvinject... and see if i helps... otherwise, your vga will not be initialized therefore may explain the situation of no screen output? kernel should not cause 5 min delay... many pep are using 9.2.0 and dont think they have extremely slow boot up... anyone have this issue?

... otherwise, your vga will not be initialized therefore may explain the situation of no screen output? kernel should not cause 5 min delay...

Ok, I'll try that and let you know.

On the other hand, after waiting those 5 mins, Leo starts up and I've got QE/CI fully working, also system specs show all Geforce 7800 LE details correctly. Maybe system.log logfile (see att.) shows more details on that (I have no clue where to look)?

I'll try your suggestion though :blink: thanks.

system.log.txt

acpi kernel[0]: dos2unixtime(): month value out of range (15)

looks funny... you have some network driver issue? and your system.kext is either damaged, or somethings not working quite rite on your system... i ll check my system.log to see if i ve any of those errors.... later...

thanks Mysticus update works great... but i had to replace my old kernel back and reinstall vga drivers now they're all working..

but after the update my time machine stop backing up and fails every time any ideas about that? also my ethernet isn't working anymore i got marvel yukon 8039.. it used to work with the standart info.plist tweaking :blink:

thanks Mysticus update works great... but i had to replace my old kernel back and reinstall vga drivers now they're all working..

but after the update my time machine stop backing up and fails every time any ideas about that? also my ethernet isn't working anymore i got marvel yukon 8039.. it used to work with the standart info.plist tweaking :D

i m working on an additional driver package to fix broken drivers... but it will not definitely fix everything, some of you may need to simply add your device ids... so it may need couple more steps/inputs from you guys......

I HAVE USE THIS PATCH TO UPDATE FROM KALYWAY 10.5.2

EVERYTHING GOOD EXCEPT RESTART

COMPUTER IS ON BUT WILL NOT RESTART.

****************************** NEED HELP PLEASE THANKS SO MUCH ********************************************

THIS IS MY SYSTEM

GA-P35-DS4 V2

CORE 2 DUO 2.67GHZ

4GB DDR2 1066

NVIDIA GF 7600 GT 512 RAM

2 SEGATE SATA 320GB HDD

SAMSUNG DVD BURNER

did you choose vanilla kernel? 10.5.3? if so, it has known troubles for restart/shutdown etc... requires more patched files...

i included 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext by default and you most likely changed/choosed a kernel... which i said many times, by default dont choose kernel! vanilla kernel is nothing very special... dont use it... find a topic that is called USB MOUNT FIX i made and installer for that topic, which has kernel installer...

System:

Asus PW5 Deluxe. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz. NVIDIA 7900GTX. Hitachi Deskstar 250Gb. 2mb Kingston DDR2 800mhz.

Clean install using Kalyway 10.5.2. And using bios settings from Lifehacker here:

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

Working: Audio. WIFI. Network. Sleep. USB. Firewire. Fan control.

One thing puzzles me. After installing your fine 10.5.3 package, I cannot browse to other shares on my network. Previous to the 10.5.3 update, I could browse both Mac and PC but whatever configuration I choose when installing this update (no network drivers for instance) the network shares give me a 'connection refused'. However, this system can still be browsed from other Mac or PC systems.

I've tried a number of alternative configurations to install the update but to no avail. I still get 'connection refused'. I know that network shares on 10.5.x have had some issues, but 10.5.2 seemed to have fixed them. It looks like something in your update breaks the sharing of files to both pc and Mac. Anyone else having the same or similar problems?

I've also tried the many fixes here:

http://www.macwindows.com/leopard

...but no joy

My other (real) Macs running 10.5.3 have no cross-platfrom issues connectiong to either Mac or PCs.

Many thanks to you and all the fine peeps on this forum for all the support I've gathered.

I have the same problem with 10.5.3 Package. Network share on Finder always shows "Connection Failed".

Clicking on the "Connect As..." button doesn't do anything.

Clicking on "Connect to Server" and entering the address of a computer within the network (ex. afp://192.168.1.101) produces this error message, "The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should begin with afp://, at://, file://, ftp://, http://, https://, nfs://, smb://, cifs://, or vnc://."

this is from apple's own web site :D

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448?viewlocale=en_US

Products Affected

Mac OS X 10.5

Resolution

You can safely ignore these messages. They are accurate but not a cause for concern.

:P

i know it should not be there, but not a cause for concern :P

LOL... I wish I'd seen that before I went to all the trouble of attempting to get it all "clean". I did get it working without any unusual messages when repairing permissions (used an external drive to test Kalyway 10.5.2 update, then vaporATX/Netkas's method for update to 10.5.3) but since I was not all that well-versed in which kexts needed to be replaced, I had more trouble getting everything working. Finally got it all going, but also managed to do something that seemed to make things less stable and just ended up giving up on that and booting off of the original partition with your updater on it. All is running great and I should have never wasted that energy, but I guess it was a learning experience. :censored2: Again, all I had to do with yours (for the info of others running on similar boards with ALC889 audio) was replace the two audio-related kexts ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext with those from my original Kalyway 10.5.2 install.

Many thanks, once again!

thanks Misticus, your combo update works very well for me.

my laptop is sse2 so i have to keep some kext from 10.5.1 and the appropriate kernel, but I solved very easy the problem, now my system is 10.5.3.

many thanks

...and adds latest nvinject... and see if i helps... otherwise, your vga will not be initialized therefore may explain the situation of no screen output? kernel should not cause 5 min delay...

acpi kernel[0]: dos2unixtime(): month value out of range (15)

looks funny... you have some network driver issue? and your system.kext is either damaged, or somethings not working quite rite on your system... i ll check my system.log to see if i ve any of those errors.... later...

Hi M,

After a couple of tries (I accidently didn't remove the checks combo update from your package) I got the correct NVInject installed. However, that did not fix the actual problem. True, no more black screen but now a never starting Leo while seeing a single blue screen with the mouse-arrow...

I used to always boot with '-f' at the Darwin bootloader, otherwise I had no network, so in that way I had network driver issues, yes. Booting with '-f' always got me connected - even in Profiler correct settings were shown.

You're absolutely right about "and your system.kext is either damaged, or somethings not working quite rite on your system", but replacing the system.kext doesn't get me a working OS though. Did you check your system.log to see if same errors/warnings appear?

At this point, I really don't have a clue were to start reparing the OS. Still my guess is that it's now a mixture of 10.5.0 and 10.5.2 / 10.5.3 system files / extensions and some of those files seem to bother each other (hence the warnings about duplicates while booting in verbose mode...)

Any hints??

Thanks so far.