Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Thanks, but am I right in saying that 'Finailze' is a default? I'm sure that if it was, I didn't deselect it.

I tried what you suggested to vapor. At the end I got an error message: Error detected while verifying/repairing pernissions on disk0s3 iATKOSv2: The unterlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Ultimately, would the best thing to do be to start over with Kalyway 10.5.2? I have that DVD to hand.

I think my only concern with starting over is I have GUID/EFI partitioned with Vista / iATKOS / iATKOS. I installed the loader only from iATKOS, then went to the Vista partition, installed that, went to the first iatkos partition, installed iatkos, then a second time on the third partition. Perfect tri boot, very happy. If I erase parititions two and three and install Kalway, I would lose access to Vista?

just to let you know that i added fix permission as a command in the update package and it should be doing it just fine, you can see it in the install log as well :(

vapor

I think i may know how to fix suid errors :D but requires a little bit of command, will make a small script file to see how it will work on your system... :)

in the mean time, i want you to try something in your test system?

open terminal

sudo su

password

cd /

chown -R 0:0 /

diskutil repairPermissions /

and let me know the results? :)

the error on the screen is ownership error, 0 is root it want the files to be zero i m guessin? so make the entire thing owned by root and fix the permission to see in the test system how it will react? note that this will make your profile also go to root, so it may not let you change your own files :) but it is not hard to get back ownership just go to users folder and right click on your account show info

on the very bottom you will see lock, open it, enter password, and than make the owner your account name from the list :)

I fixed the issue (see above), but I'll reapply your package on my test drive and test for you. Just let me have some dinner first. :P

I fixed the issue (see above), but I'll reapply your package on my test drive and test for you. Just let me have some dinner first. :)

see above what? i dont see nothing?

@detosx: spare some time, and read the post#1 for making a propar system with test partitions :( once you got the idea, you wont need to install entire system from dvd, but just restore from diskutility, and restart and boot to new system :D and do tests...

see above what? i dont see nothing?

@detosx: spare some time, and read the post#1 for making a propar system with test partitions :P once you got the idea, you wont need to install entire system from dvd, but just restore from diskutility, and restart and boot to new system :dance_24: and do tests...

Good idea, but you know how Vista is. Takes 27 years to install everything and update and lock down and then swear at in a sleep hungry fugg. I only use it for battery life, otherwise I would resort to Parallels, but the 5620 runs hot enough without taxing it with sludge on a virtual drive, though it works nicely enough.

In other words...! I will see if I can find a spare sata drive! Can I use external, though I would imagine for obvious reasons internal would be preferred under the circumstances.

Meantime I have reinstalled iATKOSv2.0i, it installs very quickly, and am migrating apps from the second iATKOS partition. Now, going full circle, what to do about repairing permissions? Lol! I'm sure when I installed your package Finalize was selected by default. Tried what you suggested to Vapor but it appeared to bork Disk permissions - "the underlying task reported failure on exit".

i dont remember right now if the package contains the driver or not, if it did, it should have it in the lan package, check the info in it...

interfacenamer is to your network card? if you checked the lan package info and it doesnt have the driver, you may need to install that driver as well...

it was an afirmation! it isn't inside, and mentioned it in case you would know if this is the cause of the issue. :)

also, update package has nothing to do with active partitions, you must have fingered somethings else by yourself...

I can tell for sure, I didn't fingered anything around! fresh install, booted fine, booted again, ran update, on boot blinking underline! who knows why this was like this!

and read my guide about test system on post#1 :) if you can arrange your system, taht way, it will be easier to transfer old files and make tests much faster w/o needing to reinstall entire system, just restore...

great idea and had it in mind since you posted it! :)

don't care about reinstalling yet, just wanted to report my experiences!

Installed this on my main machine. Original install was iATKOS v2. Everything worked perfectly except sound, had to use HDA patcher to manually install my 9221d sigmatel, but this was expected and no big deal.

Specs:

Pentium D930

Intel 975XBX

4GB DDR2 800

250GB SATA HD

8600GT - Thanks for including NVinject

Hi Mysticus,

I finally got my Test partition running 10.5.3 from 10.5.1 (iATKOS v1.r02). Everything seems to work except my Ethernet card (Marvell Yukon ID:88E8056). It was working in 10.5.1 after editing the AppleYukon2.kext.

The 10.5.3 update with LAN package changed the AppleYukon2.kext to AppleYukon2.kext.orig. Even when I rename it or copy the original working kext from the Main partition, network still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Customize is default + SMBIOS nektas + NVinject + LAN Package + Applications

Thanks!

Hi there,

After doing research I have still some open questions.

I have Mac OS X 10.5.0 installed on my pentium D (2.8ghz, 3gb ram, dedicated partition 20gb), installed from Brazilmac DVD. Everything works nice except my primairy screen (19" widescreen tft, connected trough a DVI-to-VGA component) doesn't work. Leopard says not connected. I hope the upgrade fixes that (?).

So what I want to know is:

Is it possible to install this 10.5.3 package directly on my 10.5.0 version, or do I have to upgrade to 10.5.1 and then to 10.5.2 and after that use this 10.5.3 package?

I got my hands on Kalyway 10.5.3 combo (2 pkg's) but not sure if that's the right one.

My Hackintosh boots from the Mac OS partition with Darwin-bootloader.

So can I just use this 10.5.3 package to upgrade from 10.5.0 to 10.5.3?

Thanks in advance!

cyppher.

@cyppher: it should update your 10.5.0 as well as 10.5.1 and 10.5.2... this is why it is called combo update :) but i dont know what the results would be... some drivers like sound and ethernet may not work, so you may need to reinstall those? read post#1 for making the system rock solid! the last guide :)

@ericp: you didnt need to replace old one, u just needed to add your device id and couple of others to the plist of the driver, and there it should have worked...

@kotori: it will show up only the same hdd! others can be booted still through flags at boot after pressing f8

mach_kernel rd=diskXsY

x disk number of your external hdd (0,1,2,...)

y partition number of clone (1,2,3,...)

@strongbad: thanx mate for reporting, and glad it worked, i need to find out audio driver issue but i think it is because of alcinject procedures and how taruga patches drivers... i grabbed those drivers as finished drivers and dont really know which ones work for which machines, as you would know some works and some doesnt... even if they are same model :)

@grooby: mu is free and no limits... unless you have trouble accesing it in your country? rs would be problem but i m not planning on making another mirror... for obvious reasons... but if someone from the topic makes it p2p, i wouldnt mind either :) but i m not doing it...

@jul_k: i m telling again, update package has nothing to do with changing partitions, either you have done something, or your bios has some funny things inside or your hdd is funny :) never hear anyone had active partition change after an update... if anyone had this? please let me know? but i can t tell 99.999999% that it will not do such thing unless you do it yourself... but if it did, consider yourself lucky, and grab a lottery ticket :)

@detosx: u never heard of ghost? i ve a speciall bootable toold disk which does this kind of jobs, all you need to do is clone your vista using ghost, which the time will depend on amount of stuffs in it (if you tell me amount of stuffs in your vista partition, i will tell u how long it will take) but here is some estimates... for 10 gb space, it will take about 15 mins in your laptop, in a desktop, it would take about 5-6 mins... and copying it back would take about half that time :) for example, a fully brand new xp install takes about 2.5-3 gb space, cloning it takes about 3 mins, and restoring it fully takes about 58 secs on my machine :) that is how much it takes to bring an entire system... but again all these time will slighty be longer on laptop, so it is down to your willingness and patition about learning... :) also i m gonna make a script to test on your system and others to see if it will fix everthing... once done, i may implement it to next installer :) who knows :) maybe just additional fix permissions installer :)

Great work ;)

only restart doesn't work !

(Kernel-Version: Darwin 9.3.0)

and the System Profiler show me:

(standard smbios)

Hardware-Übersicht:

Modellname: Mac

Modell-Identifizierung:

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2.4 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 4

L2-Cache: 8 MB

Speicher: 8 GB

Busgeschwindigkeit: 1.07 GHz

Boot-ROM-Version: MP11.005C.B08

Seriennummer: CK034KMHK5B

also your clone-methode is the best solution!

running system forever :D

Big thx !

Great work :D

only restart doesn't work !

(Kernel-Version: Darwin 9.3.0)

and the System Profiler show me:

(standard smbios)

Hardware-Übersicht:

Modellname: Mac

Modell-Identifizierung:

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2.4 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 4

L2-Cache: 8 MB

Speicher: 8 GB

Busgeschwindigkeit: 1.07 GHz

Boot-ROM-Version: MP11.005C.B08

Seriennummer: CK034KMHK5B

also your clone-methode is the best solution!

running system forever :D

Big thx !

you should have left 9.2.0 sleep kernel in place (if no kernel choosen, inside update package is 9.2.0 kernel, which sleeps/restarts/shutdowns w/o a problem :( but it is your own choice... most likely 9.2.0 sleep kernel and system.kext should be under /backups folder in root :D you can check it if u like :)

@ericp: you didnt need to replace old one, u just needed to add your device id and couple of others to the plist of the driver, and there it should have worked...

Mysticus, I did that too but it didn't work. I always change the plist of the AppleYukon2.kext to reflect my device id in previous versions and they always work except for this one. Any ideas?

Wait a second here! CCC...Superduper... Acronis... etc. I have had no problems in the past imaging partitions and hard drives - until I went GUID. Are you saying Ghost can clone a complete GUID/EFI drive, bit-by-bit and, better still, chop and change within GUID? Acronis True Image 11 isn't happy with HFS+ and NTFS on GUID. Acronis with MBR, no problem. If Ghost can remove and reinsert and resize, I will order it, though I would rather find free utilities that do the job. An imaging equivilant of Gparted. I rarely have problems with Leopard and it's quick to reinstall, never mind reimage, but Vista is a pig. Any pointers toward freeware are welcome.

That's why I use SuperDuper with guid partitions. You can smart update a partition and it doesn't wipe out the efi stuff so you don't have to reinstall it everytime... not that reinstalling efi is a big deal, but it saves a step.

@detosx: i dont know about guid, i never used except for testing, and i didnt like it at all, it creates way too many partitions than u original do plus you need to play with it every single time a bootloader is written or stg... anyways, long story short, i hate guid, but you can give it a try with ghost, ghost reads the data information if i m not wrong, rather than the type of partition, if you clone only partition, if you copy hdd i think it will copy the partition type as well... i will pm you the tool, you can test it yourself, but it is dos/command tool... have u every used ghost before? just type the name when you booted of the cd (make sure you have additional usb hdd/flash disk that will have enough space to hold the cloned image==cloned image file will have quite less space than original data amount bcoz of compression) , and it will bring gui, after that you gotta go to from partition/to image and choose correct partition if you know (make sure u dont mess up and choose wrong partition bcoz guid will have more partition than you originaly created :blink: ) the rest is easy... choose correct destination and file name tahts it... later when you repartition your hdd, you can use the tool again and use to partition/from image :( not that hard...

@vapor: i personally hate guid bcoz too much work involved every time u do different things... plus it wastes nice amount of space if u have many partitions... i always use, mbr, and working with it is much less painful... i always make 3 primary and 1 extended to create as much partitions as i want...

1 for osx 1 for test 1 for windows and with the extended partition 1 for osx datas/backups etc, 1-2 for windows data for easy cataloging...

this is more than enough and very efficient, people who use guid, i dont know what they like about it? apart from saying hey i m using guid :)

i know it has many benefits, but for a home pc, mbr is more than enough already, since bios standard still uses mbr, guid still has some mbr as well... well you may like what you use, i m just saying it is not needed for a home pc, and makes too much problem than benefit in the long run for hackintosh/windows systems right now... in the future hopefully guid becomes standard as with efi and etc... but right now, dont think any average joe needs it at all...

@ericp: get your old driver, and delete the current one, and put your older driver back in to IONetworkFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

and repair the permission manually!

chown -R 0:0 IONetworkFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 IONetworkFamily.kext

remove boot caches both...

and restart... see if it helps...

I did what you said and still Marvell Yukon card doesn't work in 10.5.3. Works in Main partition with 10.5.1 and on my other hdd with 10.5.2...

you must be doing something wrong, just send me the working IONetworking.kext file... upload your working one to somewhere, and i will make a small package to see if u were doing it right or not...

@vapor: i personally hate guid bcoz too much work involved every time u do different things... plus it wastes nice amount of space if u have many partitions... i always use, mbr, and working with it is much less painful... i always make 3 primary and 1 extended to create as much partitions as i want...

1 for osx 1 for test 1 for windows and with the extended partition 1 for osx datas/backups etc, 1-2 for windows data for easy cataloging...

this is more than enough and very efficient, people who use guid, i dont know what they like about it? apart from saying hey i m using guid :)

i know it has many benefits, but for a home pc, mbr is more than enough already, since bios standard still uses mbr, guid still has some mbr as well... well you may like what you use, i m just saying it is not needed for a home pc, and makes too much problem than benefit in the long run for hackintosh/windows systems right now... in the future hopefully guid becomes standard as with efi and etc... but right now, dont think any average joe needs it at all...

All valid points, but mbr is archaic and will probably be totally phased out of computing in the next few years. May as well just embrace gpt now. I personally like it. It's more fault tolerant by keeping a backup of the PT, allows creation of more partitions, allows for larger partitions, and allows for partitions to be quickly resized non destructively. That may not be important to the average user, but it is for me. Plus, I like to stay bleeding edge on everything. :D

just to let you know that resizing on air is not a good thing either :) why? bcoz it will create the same effect of fragmentation... why would you be keep changing your partition sizes anyway? are you running a server? larger partitions also? you gonna get 2 TB partition size an beyond? :) mbr also allows you to make more partitions as well through extended partition scheme...? which is enough already... guid is not bleeding edge partition scheme, is just to fulfill certain purposes... mainly in servers... nothing wrong using and learning, but like i said, it is useless and troublesome for majority of the home pc users...