Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Hello,

I also reverted to the 9.2.0 sleep kernel after updating to 10.5.3. (because I use sleep and restart often on a dual-boot machine). Now, the question for me is, what's lost from using the 9.2.0 kernel instead of the vanilla 9.3.0? Is stability going to be ok? Will I lose some of the bug fixes in 10.5.3? I've tried searching the forums but can't seem to find a straight answer to this. Everything SEEMS to be running great, but I haven't done extensive testing.

thanks.

did you choose vanilla kernel? 10.5.3? if so, it has known troubles for restart/shutdown etc... requires more patched files...

i included 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext by default and you most likely changed/choosed a kernel... which i said many times, by default dont choose kernel! vanilla kernel is nothing very special... dont use it... find a topic that is called USB MOUNT FIX i made and installer for that topic, which has kernel installer...

I have the same problem with 10.5.3 Package. Network share on Finder always shows "Connection Failed". Clicking on the "Connect As..." button doesn't do anything.Clicking on "Connect to Server" and entering the address of a computer within the network (ex. afp://192.168.1.101) produces this error message, "The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should begin with afp://, at://, file://, ftp://, http://, https://, nfs://, smb://, cifs://, or vnc://."

I am having this same exact issue since update to 10.5.3 with Mysticus updater. This was not a problem prior to update. Can we get some support on this issue?Can others try and test their network browsing abilities and see if this is just a few of us or affecting everybody?

Thanks,

genzai

My Equipment is:

MB: Abit IP-35 proCPU:

Intel C2D e6550@ 3.5ghz

HDD: 2x 500gb SATA (HDD1 OSX, HDD2 Vista)

RAM: 4GB DDR2

VGA: 8600GT

FW: Onboard plus Syba fw800 card

DVD: SATA 20x

EDIT

I found this info in another thread and it seems to have fixed my problem

Quote:

If you try to connect to another Mac/PC or Linux on your local network using leo4allv2.iso release, it won't work.So basically, using 'Connect to Server' command of Finder will pop a windows where you can enter something similar to this:

afp:192.168.1.10/

smb:192.168.1.20/

These are valid URLs but Finder would complain that they are not.To fix it follow these steps:

1- Open the terminal application (Under Applications->Utilities)

2- Enter:

sudo rm /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpfs.kext /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

(Taken from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...989&st=580)

ENDQUOTE

So now things seem pretty spiffy in 10.5.3 using the Mysticus update.You may want to check on this though since it seems like your script is breaking the afp filesystem somehow.Also would be great to get rid of those SUID errors in permission repair.

Thanks,

genzai

people who d/l the pieces, can upload to someother places... i m not gonna bother for the upload again as I did more than 5-6 gb of uploads for this update package alone...

no more upload of teh same... i will renew the update package again so wait for the new version (1.4)... also 10.5.4 will be coming soon ;)

people who d/l the pieces, can upload to someother places... i m not gonna bother for the upload again as I did more than 5-6 gb of uploads for this update package alone...

no more upload of teh same... i will renew the update package again so wait for the new version (1.4)... also 10.5.4 will be coming soon :thumbsup_anim:

Great work Mysticus C. Hope to get the 10.5.4 update package very soon.

For those who have download the complete package, please lend a hand to upload to Torrent and seed, since Mysticus C had given permission. Please do name it as Mysticus C Combo update 10.5.3 (something like that so that due recognition and respect) is given to Mysticus C's generous contribution.

Great work Mysticus C. Hope to get the 10.5.4 update package very soon.

For those who have download the complete package, please lend a hand to upload to Torrent and seed, since Mysticus C had given permission. Please do name it as Mysticus C Combo update 10.5.3 (something like that so that due recognition and respect) is given to Mysticus C's generous contribution.

apart from couple of my added scripts, none of the files (driver/update package/etc) is my own work... i just put things together for ease of use and making things handy... it has been sent to public so wouldnt mind anyone spread it either in fact encouraged if u think it is useful, bcoz i cant do the spreading myself all the time... i try my best but u know the nature of sites and people, things can be deleted quickly...

apart from couple of my added scripts, none of the files (driver/update package/etc) is my own work... i just put things together for ease of use and making things handy... it has been sent to public so wouldnt mind anyone spread it either in fact encouraged if u think it is useful, bcoz i cant do the spreading myself all the time... i try my best but u know the nature of sites and people, things can be deleted quickly...

Question for you Mysticus:

When you release the v1.4, will we be able to install this on top of our already installed v1.3? or will we need to restore to a pre 10.5.3 state and run the v1.4 from 10.5.2 or less? In the case of the SUID error, will we be able to just run v1.4 on top of our current v1.3 install to fix the problem?

Thanks!

-genzai

Question for you Mysticus:

When you release the v1.4, will we be able to install this on top of our already installed v1.3? or will we need to restore to a pre 10.5.3 state and run the v1.4 from 10.5.2 or less? In the case of the SUID error, will we be able to just run v1.4 on top of our current v1.3 install to fix the problem?

Thanks!

-genzai

i dont know yet... but testing my test package first if it works, it will be only this extra installer on top of the previous one will be needed to fix suid errors in the first place... so be patient... i m just trying... to make this thing as smooth as possible...

ladies and gentleman ;) i finally figured out how to fix the SUID errors... I need volunteer to test the new fix package first i m gonna make it available in couple of mins... (file sharing and network fix will follow but it is very easy anyway... :)

EDIT: it will fix most of the SUIDs but I dont have the list of entire SUID errors due to somefiles have not been replaced in the first place bcoz i used 10.5.2 kalyway as my base and than updated it to 10.5.3... now I need people to report me remaining suids as well.... since i figured it out now, i may implement it to entire package as well, so wont need really each file :) later... first temp fix to test :) currently also testing more general usage to make it much more simple so that i dont have to make a list of tons of files...

TEST PACKAGE

ladies and gentleman :blink: i finally figured out how to fix the SUID errors... I need volunteer to test the new fix package first i m gonna make it available in couple of mins... (file sharing and network fix will follow but it is very easy anyway... :D

EDIT: it will fix most of the SUIDs but I dont have the list of entire SUID errors due to somefiles have not been replaced in the first place bcoz i used 10.5.2 kalyway as my base and than updated it to 10.5.3... now I need people to report me remaining suids as well.... since i figured it out now, i may implement it to entire package as well, so wont need really each file :D later... first temp fix to test :) currently also testing more general usage to make it much more simple so that i dont have to make a list of tons of files...

TEST PACKAGE

Hi Mysticus,

I have downloaded the test package and will test it for you this evening and pm you any reamining SUIDs.

Cheers haxi :)

I have the same problem with 10.5.3 Package. Network share on Finder always shows "Connection Failed".

Clicking on the "Connect As..." button doesn't do anything.

Clicking on "Connect to Server" and entering the address of a computer within the network (ex. afp://192.168.1.101) produces this error message, "The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should begin with afp://, at://, file://, ftp://, http://, https://, nfs://, smb://, cifs://, or vnc://."

Can't solve it. I've decided to keep my Hackintosh at 10.5.2 for now.

@pushpinni: your issues will be solved as well dont worry, solutions pointed out so i will add them to the installer...

and now I m making the temp solution as full solution bcoz I think i got the idea, just trying to fix the scripts :) lol i gotta clean some of the previous scripts now :) lotsa work :) but trying to simplify the solution so it will not be 1000s of code to look for... hopefully :)

SHARE CAN BE EASILY FIXED, just download the JAS 10.5.3 combo update and install the SHAREFIX package!!

IT WORKS!

Mysticus can u add this sharefix and also the option/install for the Chameleon bootloader? (always if is possible) thnx! :)

i ll see what i can do, at worst, i can write a script for everything to be automated but you may need to replace your partition ids (in the diskXsY form)... doing the chamelon is not hard actually but you gotta know couple of basic things... also i didnt fully read it yet about its specs, but will read the whole story later, been busy a bit...

i ll see what i can do, at worst, i can write a script for everything to be automated but you may need to replace your partition ids (in the diskXsY form)... doing the chamelon is not hard actually but you gotta know couple of basic things... also i didnt fully read it yet about its specs, but will read the whole story later, been busy a bit...

I can image how much time will take all this, and all we are busy in real life, :)

For the chameleon i can do it by myself, is easy and you must to play woth some terminal commands, the point is as usual..

HOW COOL IS TO GETTING ALL THE UPDATE FIX IN ONE PACKAGE! :)

Mysticus, thanx for all what are you doing, thanx :)

Can't solve it. I've decided to keep my Hackintosh at 10.5.2 for now.
Hi pushpini,The following solution has worked for me:(Taken from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...989&st=580)QUOTE(nigelbb @ Mar 26 2008, 02:59 PM) post_snapback.gifI just found the same problem. I am surprised that more people haven't noticed this or maybe they are all installing on their one & only computer & have no server to connect to:-)There is an error in a symbolic link /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs You can check this from Terminal with this command:-ls -l /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fsIf it shows something like this then there is a problem as the link should be to /System not just System:-lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 49 Mar 25 12:22 /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs -> System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpfs.kextTo fix this in Terminal enter these commandssudo rm /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fssudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpfs.kext /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fBefore each command executes you will be prompted for your password.I had a look inside the packages on the Leo4ALLV2 disk & the error is present there so I guess that it's something for Eddie to fix for V3 plus add to the Known Issues http://osx86leo4all.wikidot.com/known-issuesENDQUOTEWhat is the problem when you try this solution?CheersHaxi :)
Hi Mysticus,I have downloaded the test package and will test it for you this evening and pm you any reamining SUIDs.Cheers haxi :P
Your test package worked for me - see my pm with DiskUtility logs... :D

ladies and gentleman :P i finally figured out how to fix the SUID errors... I need volunteer to test the new fix package first i m gonna make it available in couple of mins... (file sharing and network fix will follow but it is very easy anyway... :)

EDIT: it will fix most of the SUIDs but I dont have the list of entire SUID errors due to somefiles have not been replaced in the first place bcoz i used 10.5.2 kalyway as my base and than updated it to 10.5.3... now I need people to report me remaining suids as well.... since i figured it out now, i may implement it to entire package as well, so wont need really each file :) later... first temp fix to test :) currently also testing more general usage to make it much more simple so that i dont have to make a list of tons of files...

TEST PACKAGE

Unfortunately the test package did not solve my SUID errors. This is what disk utility spits out after applying the pkg:

Repairing permissions for “WhatTheHac”

Reading permissions database.

Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.2.0.dylib", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SCHelper" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/scselect" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/login" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/lib/sa/sadc" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/chkpasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/lppasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/at" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atq" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atrm" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/batch" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chfn" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chpass" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/newgrp" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/passwd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/Resources/pmTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

Yes, it asked me for my password.

Thanks,

genzai

thats strange... did you install it on the same partition taht you booted off? or did you try to be smart and install it on another partition?

for example? you booted your main partition, and installed this on test partition?

or you booted of your test partition and installed on test partition?

bcoz one of the answer you will have is the key :( and it confirmed to work on two other guys....

so something is not done right on your side i suppose... saturday (today evening) or sunday afternoon, i will release the update package this time majority of the things are fixed in the installer and it will become almost exact copy of the original installer :) fixed some of the problems :) and made some work arounds for this... :)

patience is they key...

new update package is coming soon...