10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

Could try a different kernel the one you had with 10.5.2 the 10.5.3 kernel borks up 64 bit well the chess game that comes with leo just crashes miserably in 64 bit mode in fact it just crashes but runs fine in 64 bit mode on 9.2.2 in

Ok did the Jas 10.5.3 update and worked fine. I just had to replace the audio kexts with my old ones to get sound back. Now when I go into system profiler and click the software tab and it say's I'm using the 9.2.0 kernel. Isn't this update supposed to update the kernel as well? Is anyone using the 9.3 kernel? Is there a 9.3 kernel that has restart/shutdown working?

Chevy

I'm REALLY loving this 10.5.3 update! Everything feels so much more snappier - though haven't tried Photoshop CS3 yet.

And It's not just because I re-installed onto a dual-drive RAID 0.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.3 Update but kept the 9.2 kernel, so restart and shudown are now working (they weren't previously).

Now this is how a Mac Pro is supposed to feel!!!

Before the .3 update, everything was a second slower - hiccups in the dock, retrieving email, even Finder access.

All Smiles Now!!!

Well since nobody seemed to know how, i reinstalled using iATKOS 2.0i restored settings from timemachine updated to 10.5.3 restored Geforce and NVD.. kexts AppleSMBIOS.kext dsmos.kext ALCinject AppleHDA and Azalia.. everything working:D

running 9.3.0 kernel and yes it is a lot faster..;):whistle:

I'm REALLY loving this 10.5.3 update! Everything feels so much more snappier - though haven't tried Photoshop CS3 yet.

And It's not just because I re-installed onto a dual-drive RAID 0.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.3 Update but kept the 9.2 kernel, so restart and shudown are now working (they weren't previously).

Now this is how a Mac Pro is supposed to feel!!!

Before the .3 update, everything was a second slower - hiccups in the dock, retrieving email, even Finder access.

All Smiles Now!!!

Vlad,

Did you have to reinstall your graphics or sound kexts (via pacifist etc)? I am still waiting on a bit more information before I take the 10.5.3 plunge on my C2D / GA-P35-DS3L Hackie. I'm glad you are having such great performance improvements though!

Ok I just used 10 5 3 combo update package on Iatkos 10 5 1 with all instructions mentined by Netkas and within this topic.

Now I am having `failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIport.` Still waiting for root device.

I had backup AppleAHCIport.kext before and now trying to copy the old kext but somehow when I boot with -s I cant get into command line screen it again gives ahciport error and followingly still waiting for root device.

Can someone advice how should I log into terminal to copy my old kexts without stucking errors.

Thank you.

OK, I am totally new here, and toatlly new with this OSx86 project thing. I have installed iATKOS v2.0 on my machine (which isn't too fast to begin with), and I saw the 10.5.3 update on Software Updates, I just unknowingly installed. Mac told me to hard reboot, and I now have a non-working Mac. So this is what happens - I turn on my computer, press enter on Mac OS X boot thing (I'm dual booting Vista & Mac) and out comes the Darwin Boot countdown, I press enter again and it starts booting. After about 3 seconds a message comes up telling me I have to restart my computer. This comes up every time I start Mac. Now I have reinstalled my Mac partition and am now writing this on a 10.5.2 system. Can anyone tell me if this will work with my system now?

Intel GMA 950

2GB RAM 533mhz

Pentium 4 SSE3 Supported 3.00Ghz

Intel VE Pro/100 Network Adapter.

Sigmatel Audio.

I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: Well, I tried it... Guess What? It didn't work.

I used Pacifist and installed everything but the Extensions and System Config Folders... Worked Like a charm!

i have a problem: mac starts after 10 minutes,system profile find sata dvd but no in taskbar what kind of file i must take from 10.5.2 for dvd sata work ?and for mac start?sorry for my english..tnx

Hi,

did the update with the Netkas guide on both my machines. Both had the vanilla kernel 9.2.2 and both work without any problem, I just had to fix some minor stuff.

On the Conroe945 with GMA950, it fell back to 1024*768. Needed to re-install the kexts for GMA950 and AppleFrameBuffer. I also re-installed the SMBIOS and ACPI kexts to see my machine's correct processor and RAM frequency. On this machine, there was Leo4All V3 installed.

On the Intel board with a nvidia 7300, I had to re-Isnatll Natit, thus I got QE/CI hardware support back. I also re-installed the SMBIOS and ACPI kexts to see this machine's correct processor and RAM frequency. I started with Leopard 10..5.1 on this machine, so it's the second combo update which was successfully installed.

Now both machines are running since 12 hours and everything looks fine. 10.5.3. for me also feels a bit faster.

JL

i have a problem: mac starts after 10 minutes,system profile find sata dvd but no in taskbar what kind of file i must take from 10.5.2 for dvd sata work ?and for mac start?sorry for my english..tnx

help

Open Terminal

sudo -s

*type password*

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Open 10.5.3 Update Installer

Run update BUT DO NOT RESTART

Go back to your terminal and press Control C to end the script

In terminal type:

nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Replace the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext

Restart and boot with -v

It will start loading and then you will get the message MACH_REBOOT, there you can hard reboot your computer. When you reach the darwin boot screen again, boot with -v again just for safe measure and it will boot fine.

Enjoy.

-iSkylla

P.S. It's the same as 10.5.2 but just so people don't go crazy asking, I rewrote it.

Edit: Please take precautions when installing updates, and remember to backup your extensions folder before you do anything.

Thanks a lot for your 10.5.3 update guide.

Downloaded the Delta update as I was already on 10.5.2.

Ran the scripts, as recommended, with the updater.

Restarted and did a hard restart at the MACH_BOOT point.

Boot failed at a point where the OS was seemingly attempting to resolve the AHCI hardware load.

Tried again but this time used -f and the OS started completely.

Restarted with no flags and the boot hung once more.

Retried with -f and the boot completed.

Took the advice of another poster in this thread and did a safe boot which completed.

Restarted with no flags and, voila, complete boot.

So it's now at 10.5.3 with a 9.3.0 vanilla kernel. Had to redo the sound and graphics kexts and fix About this Mac but as I already knew what to do, it wasn't a biggie.

As far as I can tell, there's no speed increase or decrease. 10.5.2 was stable for me so I wasn't expecting any stability issues with the update - none so far, at any rate.

So, once again, my sincere thanks to Netkas and yourself for a great job. But I might wait a little longer to update after 10.5.4 is released. :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Andy.

what does "while sleep 1" mean?

Hi,

He`s make that your system remove the file AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext at 1 second. This happen because this update install a AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and your system dont work with kext and removing it you should to install a AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext compatible.

PS. sorry for my very suck english, heh

Update worked just fine. After reboot, I was not able to use ps/2 keyboard, network and sound.

So I booted into windows, wrote my password into text file and saved on FAT partition (Later on I have used on-screen keyboard).

Using kext helper, I have restored...

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

...from backup. For network, I have edited IONetworkFamily.kext and added my network card.

After rebooting, my PS/2 keyboard stopped working again (sometimes it works on normal boot, sometimes I have to boot with -f). Everything else works just as before, no improvements noticed. I will buy USB keyboard today, and stop concerning myself with this.

I do have problem with shutdown/restart/sleep (does anyone have any idea how to solve this without reverting to hacked kernel). However, this is not a big problem for me, I hardly ever restart, let alone shut down.

Update worked just fine. After reboot, I was not able to use ps/2 keyboard, network and sound.

So I booted into windows, wrote my password into text file and saved on FAT partition (Later on I have used on-screen keyboard).

Using kext helper, I have restored...

...from backup. For network, I have edited IONetworkFamily.kext and added my network card.

After rebooting, my PS/2 keyboard stopped working again (sometimes it works on normal boot, sometimes I have to boot with -f). Everything else works just as before, no improvements noticed. I will buy USB keyboard today, and stop concerning myself with this.

I do have problem with shutdown/restart/sleep (does anyone have any idea how to solve this without reverting to hacked kernel). However, this is not a big problem for me, I hardly ever restart, let alone shut down.

Try a search for "poweroff_fix.zip". Maybe that'll be your answer...

HTH.

Tried, doesn't work ;) But I will think of something eventually.

You might try the attached kext - backup first!!!

No guarantees, but if it works and you're ever in NZ, you can shout me a beer.

Good luck.

Andy.

No what exactly is that kext supposed to fix? I am having difficulty with the sleep/restart/shut down also and want to make sure I know what is to be going on before I do it. Also, what previous kernel of 9.2 works for the sleep/restart/shut down problem?

No what exactly is that kext supposed to fix? I am having difficulty with the sleep/restart/shut down also and want to make sure I know what is to be going on before I do it. Also, what previous kernel of 9.2 works for the sleep/restart/shut down problem?

Some have reported that it resolves the shutdown/sleep issues they had. Doesn't work for everyone though - use it at your own risk, and back up first.

Vanilla kernel 9.2.0 worked for me; sleep/restart/shutdown all worked perfectly. In 9.3.0, shutdown works all the time, restart occasionally but I haven't tried sleep.

EDIT: System doesn't awake from sleep. Not a major issue as I don't use it, but restart is something I'll look at fixing properly when I have time to research the problem.

HTH.

Given that so many people are having problems with drivers not working after the install and the problem has to do with not re-installing the proper texts again...it would probably help to have a 10.5.x --> 10.5.3 upgrade guide that tells you which kexts to backup and restore after the install. That'll probably solve 90% of the problems reported in this thread.

If this can be added to the first note of this post...it'll be best..because most people read it, don't re-install drivers and then end up asking the same questions.