10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

I used this method and updated to 10.5.3. My problem is shut down and restart are BROKEN and CPU usage is like 70%! Also console keeps giving me error after error related to kernel :D

I updated to 10.5.2 without a hitch almost pure vanilla.

Be careful!

EDIT: Solved problem and it probably wasn't the 10.5.3 update. I unplugged my second hard drive and all the errors stopped :(

Hello everyone, what about AMD users? I tryed yesterday following NETKAS tut but installation freezes... then my installatino was useless...

Is there any guide for AMD cpus yet?

thanks a lot!

I screwed up my install by using the Software Updater instead of the combo update described in this thread.

Now, my system always boots to a screen that says, "You need to restart your computer".

Is there any way to undo the 10.5.3 update (or otherwise fix my machine)?

Well, the update {censored}ed up my system. Lucky me, i made a backup with carbon copy thingy to a second partition on the same drive, but i don't know how to put this back to the first partition or how to boot from this partition instead of the first.

Any help please?

It will start loading and then you will get the message MACH_REBOOT, there you can hard reboot your computer. When you reach the darwin boot screen again, boot with -v again just for safe measure and it will boot fine.

Enjoy.

-iSkylla

Edit: Please take precautions when installing updates, and remember to backup your extensions folder before you do anything.[/b]

For me the first reboot is automatic ? Why

And the second boot, it's good !

Hello,

I've done what you tell us to do to have the 10.5.3.

I've done exactly what you said, but now, when I try to boot (-v -x or just -v), he starts to boot and, he keeps tell me he wrote a log about a crash of loginwindow.

When I boot on ubuntu and see that crash log, it's wrote:

Process:		 loginwindow [209]
Path:			/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow
Identifier:	  loginwindow
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Date/Time:	   2008-05-29 21:43:44.156 +0200
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
 Symbol not found: _kCUIVariantMenuBarOpaque
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
 Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI

I've to tell you I've installed, a long time ago, an hack to have the menus transparent (It was ok on 10.5.2)

Moreover, I have a crashlog about ifcstart,

the crashlog is:

Process:		 ifcstart [57]
Path:			/usr/libexec/ifcstart
Identifier:	  ifcstart
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Date/Time:	   2008-05-29 18:34:29.280 +0200
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
 Symbol not found: _kCUIVariantMenuBarOpaque
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
 Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI

What Can I do?

I need your help.

Thank you

Nicolas

------

Sorry for my band english, i'm french

merci beaucoup cyberdog, mais meme avec -x il ne veut pas booter (enfin je n'ai jamais essayé -x tout seul, mais j'ai essayé -v -x, et il commencait à booter puis ensuite il me mettait un message toutes les 5s environ en me disant qu'il a écrit un rapport d'erreur sur loginwindow)

Thanks very much Cyberdog, but with -x the problem is still present.

I haven't try just -x, but i've try -x -v and, he starts to boot up osx, but a few seconds after, he wrote a message every 5seconds telling me he wrote a crashlog

Thanks

Nicolas

Shiit... I tried to install it over my 10.5.2 and I got a Kernel Panic within the installation (yes - I run the terminal-command to remove the power-kext). Now my very pimped installation is lost :-/

I really need to find to a way to create images like I do with Acronis TrueImage of my Windows XP ThinkPad...

Just a hint - I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe problems with the chipset. I will install it again from scratch and the first thing I will do is to try to install 10.5.3.

Well, the update {censored}ed up my system. Lucky me, i made a backup with carbon copy thingy to a second partition on the same drive, but i don't know how to put this back to the first partition or how to boot from this partition instead of the first.

Any help please?

You will need to boot off install disk and install darwin or efi. Look for a script called bootefi.

I think it would be wise to point out that i'm a complete cli/linux/osx noob.

Also, i found out that my BIOS has an option to boot from USB (i think), but when i choose the apropriate usb drive with either windoos vista or osx it just shows a blinking underscore in the top left corner.

Any ideas on that?

OK, so I followed the Netkas guide, just like I did for 10.5.2. Now, when I try to boot, I just get the light-grey screen with the spinning wheel and the Apple logo and it stays there for ages - it looks like its hung.

Using -v as a boot option, I can see that it's getting stuck at:

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

There are no other errors. What could have gone wrong? Can anyone suggest how I might go about fixing this? Do I need to get in there and replace some of the old 10.5.2 kexts? I don't think so, as I'm not seeing a kernel panic, or anything.

Please help!

OK, same here. Followed the guide completely, nothing after reboot :D Completely fried install I'm afraid.

Any ideas ?

Hi everyone...

I want to say that i`ve installed the new update 10.5.3 (from the dmg) but unfortunately i don`t thinl it went very well cuz after the restart it keep looping the reboot...i cant` even see what it`s saying....

Does anyone know the issue and how to fix it?

Please help me

i followed the guide exactly step by step . after reboot it keep restarting. it displays 4 lines started with loading[mach_kernel]... something. i cant read. boot with -x does not help.

boot with -v -x show verbose boot, but i dont know at which line it restart the machine.

boot with -s , the computer restarted immediately

boot with MAC OSX Dvd inserted, with rd=disk0s2 (s1 is my windows), stopped at : "BSD root: disk0s2, major .. minor ..." (i dont think this is important)

help?

First I'd like to say thanks to netkas, iSkylla, LioNEXT, and everybody else helping people (like me) to get this update installed.

I tried yesterday and messed up my system, staying stuck at the waiting for root device. So I restored my complete backup with SuperDuper! from my firewire drive and waited to try again until today. Being more patient this time (and having made a new IDE drive with a clean Leo4all v2 install yesterday to boot from in a pinch) I was able to get everything working again.

Selectively going through and copying from my fresh backup all of the SMBIOS, ATA, Firewire, and ACPI kexts seemed to do the trick to get me back into my system without QE/OpenGL or Audio. Then I copied over all of the Nvidia kexts from my backup and rebooted again and everything is fine.

Glad this forum is here! You are all a big help! Thanks!

DownshiftDX