10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

Just disable AHCI support in your BIOS. Worked perfectly for me (GA-P35-DS3L). Guess I'll wait until patched 10.5.3 versions of the AHCI framework come out.

I ran into the same problem when I updated my Retail DVD version of Leopard to 10.5.3, restoring AppleAHCIPort from 10.5.2 (Kalyway) didn't help things much. Oh well, back to square 0.

Error

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort

I'm getting Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort.

Tried to use the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the 10.5.2 backups, no luck so far.

Any ideas?

Try replacing AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCI

Worked for me on Asus P5LD2 SE, NVidia Geforce 6200. Kalyway 10.5.2 install.

Had to reenable QE as described in this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st&p=761772

With stock 10.5.3 NVidia kexts, just add NATIT. Thanks, Blurn :o)

Had to delete AppleHDA.kext to bring back audio (with Azalia).

Replaced new AppleAHCIPort.kext with patched one from previous install (for ICH7 support).

That was all. Thanks to netkas, kaly and everybody else. Have a nice day...

P.S.: I would advice the less experienced people ("how do I become root?" - no offence meant, if you are having problems with this, you will likely run into serious problems you cannot fix!) to wait for an upgraded distro or upgrade package. Based on experience, this won't take long. Remember, 10.5.2 IS a very solid release. Unless, of course, you really suffer from an issue that has been fixed with this upgrade. Looking at the list of bugs fixed, I find most of them either very cosmetic or for rather rare constellations. Correct me if I am mistaken :-)

OK, so I followed the Netkas guide, just like I did for 10.5.2. Now, when I try to boot, I just get the light-grey screen with the spinning wheel and the Apple logo and it stays there for ages - it looks like its hung.

Using -v as a boot option, I can see that it's getting stuck at:

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

There are no other errors. What could have gone wrong? Can anyone suggest how I might go about fixing this? Do I need to get in there and replace some of the old 10.5.2 kexts? I don't think so, as I'm not seeing a kernel panic, or anything.

Please help!

You do this and you'll mess up your installation. Guaranteed.

Terry

I think you are right. But I will give it a try during weekend, just for the sake of trying (Haven't seen Kernel Panic since February). Worst that can happen is wasting half an hour on reinstall.

@iskylla

I followed your step for updating the Mac leopard 10.5.3 . I am getting to a system where it say

BSD Root :disk0s8 , Major 14, Minor 5

I have left the machine for 1 hours and its still like that .... Fortunately I have Norton Ghost Image in case KP I can reimage the MAC Kindly please do you the solution for the problem ....

I am using HP Pavallion

core 2 duo 2 Ghz

Vanilla Kernel Kalway 10.5.2 ,

4 GB RAM 667 Mhz DDR 2 ,

512 MB 860m GS Graphics Card

250 GB sata Hitachi Harddrive...

Triple OS ...Windows XP Sp3, Windows Vista and Mac Leopard 10.5.2

Your help would be appreciated.

With Regards,

Stealth

post-75032-1212064920_thumb.jpg

post-75032-1212064996_thumb.jpg

Thank you to Netkas and iSkylla.

followed the instructions and reboot with no problem at all ;)

The update did screw up the System Profiler info though, my C2D E8200 was previously shown as 2.67GHz Unknown, but after the update it became 3.8GHz Unknown. LOL

I got it fixed by installing the SMBiosEnabler.kext from Kabyl's osrom.net =)

However, I have no idea what will the IntelCPUPowerManagementDisabler.kext do in the future OS X updates though, I did install it, but will it remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext automatically without the need to type

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done line before install future update package?

Anyways...good job on that.

RN

Hey Guys,

big problems here on vanilla kernel iAtkos install updating to 10.5.3.

I did everything following the guide (AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext removed per script, etc.)

Before rebooting i copied a few .kext from my backup following this:

These kexts an files should be backed up and then restored after 10.5.3 update.

from 10.5.2 or previous working installation.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (if you use modded version, PS2 Keyboard and Trackpad are supported with this or with ACPIPS2nub)

AppleHDA.kext (sound)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (to have proper report in System Profiler)

All Nvidia kexts Geforce* NVDA* (10.5.3 decreased performance)

AppleUSBEHCI.kext (to maintain sleep ability)

PowerManagement.bundle (Battery status)

didn't find USBEHCI and Powermanagementbundle, but thought they were just for sleep and battery meter. Then rebootet (without -v, I

thought it was only for viewing panics).

Then a Kernel Panic occured, even without -v it gives some addittional information, talking about a CPU device ID and saying it wasn't able to find a driver for --- some strange symbols - AHCI.

Shows new Kernel version but says Mac OSX version not defined yet.... seems like a serious problem. Even through -s I can't boot to command prompt, but I'm able to access the partition via Windows and MacDrive.

Any Suggestions? Would be great, I need OSX and don't want to reinstall at all.

BTW: My previous version was 10.5.2 but I installed ComboUpdate of 5.3, not delta. May this have been the problem?

Thx, FloJ

Looks like my graffix are screwed after updating to 10.5.3 (no quartz extreme support). Does anyone have the 10.5.2 nvidia files or another fix to get this working again?

Hey Guys,

big problems here on vanilla kernel iAtkos install updating to 10.5.3.

I did everything following the guide (AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext removed per script, etc.)

Before rebooting i copied a few .kext from my backup following this:

These kexts an files should be backed up and then restored after 10.5.3 update.

from 10.5.2 or previous working installation.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (if you use modded version, PS2 Keyboard and Trackpad are supported with this or with ACPIPS2nub)

AppleHDA.kext (sound)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (to have proper report in System Profiler)

All Nvidia kexts Geforce* NVDA* (10.5.3 decreased performance)

AppleUSBEHCI.kext (to maintain sleep ability)

PowerManagement.bundle (Battery status)

didn't find USBEHCI and Powermanagementbundle, but thought they were just for sleep and battery meter. Then rebootet (without -v, I

thought it was only for viewing panics).

Then a Kernel Panic occured, even without -v it gives some addittional information, talking about a CPU device ID and saying it wasn't able to find a driver for --- some strange symbols - AHCI.

Shows new Kernel version but says Mac OSX version not defined yet.... seems like a serious problem. Even through -s I can't boot to command prompt, but I'm able to access the partition via Windows and MacDrive.

Any Suggestions? Would be great, I need OSX and don't want to reinstall at all.

BTW: My previous version was 10.5.2 but I installed ComboUpdate of 5.3, not delta. May this have been the problem?

Thx, FloJ

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have a laptop and tried installing the latest nvinject and that didn't seem to resolve the issue. Any other ideas?

You can use my installer, there is kexts to restore QE/CI (link in my sig). It's dedicate to Dell Laptops but if you only choose NVIDIA Part, it's be ok; you will need to reinstall NVinject (installer contain NVInjectGO) if you don't use a laptop.

I think you are right. But I will give it a try during weekend, just for the sake of trying (Haven't seen Kernel Panic since February). Worst that can happen is wasting half an hour on reinstall.
Don't bother. The AppleCPUPower kext will stall your system during the install if you are not running the terminal command to delete it (Learned this is 10.5.2). You can't possibly be running that terminal command since the Software updater forces you to be in the middle of a reboot cycle in order to update. Don't forget about the dsmos.kext issue as well ;)
Thanks for the quick response. I don't have a laptop and tried installing the latest nvinject and that didn't seem to resolve the issue. Any other ideas?
You either have to install NVinject using pacifist with the method described earlier in this thread (page 3 or 4 I think) or use the Natit drivers. I switched to Natit and it worked great for me.

OK, so I followed the Netkas guide, just like I did for 10.5.2. Now, when I try to boot, I just get the light-grey screen with the spinning wheel and the Apple logo and it stays there for ages - it looks like its hung.

Using -v as a boot option, I can see that it's getting stuck at:

MAC Framework successfully initialized
  using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

There are no other errors. What could have gone wrong? Can anyone suggest how I might go about fixing this? Do I need to get in there and replace some of the old 10.5.2 kexts? I don't think so, as I'm not seeing a kernel panic, or anything.

Please help!

Damn right! Same here.

Normally I wouldn't post a "me-too" comment without contributing any sort of new information, but this is the only other post I've seen describing this problem. Are we just colossal dumbasses? are we missing something obvious that we should already know? Or is this just an issue that nobody's figgured out yet?

yes, please help! ;-)

Thank you for all the information in this thread.

Now I've got 10.5.3 up and everything is working perfectly.

Followed the guide using the 420MB update, and replaced these kexts from my 10.5.2 backup:

AppleAHCIport.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

Reinstalled my audio, then ran NVinstaller from Pacifist.

Now everything works!

Quartz Extreme

Reboot / Shutdown

Sleep

Audio

PCIe Network

Thanks so much!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz

Intel DQ965GF Motherboard

Asus QuieTrack SATA DVD-RW

Western Digital 74GB Raptor SATA

Seagate 750GB SATA

Edit: Forgot to mention AppleACPIPlatform.kext

OK, WELL, I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 and I used this method. Didn't back anything up, no vanilla kernal, it just freezes while booting. Tryed on sister's Dimension, reboots itself when trying to start Leopard. Re- Installing Leopard on her's now. ANY way to fix my laptop? If I were to use my Kalyway CD and install without formatting would all my stuff be there?

OK, WELL, I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 and I used this method. Didn't back anything up, no vanilla kernal, it just freezes while booting. Tryed on sister's Dimension, reboots itself when trying to start Leopard. Re- Installing Leopard on her's now. ANY way to fix my laptop? If I were to use my Kalyway CD and install without formatting would all my stuff be there?

What's freezing, boot verbose. On hers, wait for modified kernel.

What's freezing, boot verbose. On hers, wait for modified kernel.

Ya. I boot in verbose and its stuck at one line. Its not MACH_REBOOT. I would say but already re-installing on my laptop so I already formatted the HD. Why modified kernal? Its not an AMD. Vanila no good cause its Pentium D.

I just updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.3 using combo update. I have Hp 6700t laptop and installed it on external drive.

after install, it seems like my keyboard does not work. I get login screen but I can't type password. My mouse is working.

Any help please?

Can anybody send me required kext file? I can use windows to change/delete any files needed.

Thanks,

Sam