10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

Also this work on SSE2 and SSE3? My system is a P4.

Also this sounds like a silly question but do I type "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done" in terminal?

Finally exactly how do I "Replace the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext"?

Finally finally because I can't be bothered to look for it, can someone please let me know what the code for backing up the extensions is. :P

EDIT: A lot of the my questions were answered here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=761779

Nice guide iSkylla but maybe a few more commentaries next time. <_<

okay. first. Besides AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, I had to delete AppleHWSensor.kext also in order to boot. Apparently, at loginwindow, I got a ton of garbage (and kept going on forever) with CrashReporter about HIToolbox, various applications. So I reapplied 10.5.3 combo update from a different partition and then remove the above two kext.

For people with QE/CI problem and giving a futile retry with NVInstaller.41:

You have to use Pacifist to force replace those kexts and framework. Apparently, NVinstaller does not force delete the newest versions of kexts and framework and replace them with old ones. In pacifist, authorize yourself, then when asked, apply replace to all (choose the dont ask ask again for this installation option from the pop up window). Everything will work fine and dandy now.

Anyone reporting success with proper shutdown/restart/sleep?

This might work, but it's kind of a lame solution. The whole point of updating was to get the benefits, but if i'm reverting to an older version, then I may as well not have updated.

Hopefully someone figures out what's going on soon...

So for me using this guide on Leo4All it caused the keyboard and trackpad to completely stop working, Also caused some havoc with the battery meter on an acer 4620Z... (with or without kext backup) so for now Im sticking to 10.5.2 till the discs are just updated to install 10.5.3 to start...

This might work, but it's kind of a lame solution. The whole point of updating was to get the benefits, but if i'm reverting to an older version, then I may as well not have updated.

Yeah, but what do you prefer, non QE/CI with 10.5.3 or QE/CI with some 10.5.3

Some are using 10.4.8 kexts for networking or ATA chipsets up today.

In my case I didn't loose QE/CI but performance decreased a lot with new Nvidia kexts, I prefer to have those with 10.5.2

I tried this method and did all the details, and now after rebooting it gets past all the text for the load and gets to the blue screen but never gets to the desktop. It just gets stuck on the blue screen right before it shows the desktop. Any ideas? If I run it with -v it gets past all that stuff so I can't tell whats causing it to stall.

This is a stupid arguement, because we all do not have any real Macs and we have to look up for patches and tricks to run our hardware as near as a real Mac ... you may write to Apple for a personal Kext, if you want so ... but I will use that one, who works best on my hardware ... can´t believe that ... :)

this method is working 100% on my machine.

i backed up these kexts before update:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (contains support for my PS2 keyboard)

AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext (support for ich9 AHCI)

AppleHDA.kext (support for analog/digital audio input/output)

AppleSMBIOS.kext

i also reapplied triakis package (newer netkas' natits don't work for my 3870) after 10.5.3 update but before reboot (just after replacing "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" line with "dsmos.kext" in /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1)

everything went smooth, there was no MACH_REBOOT line, and after second reboot 10.5.3 was up and running with everything working: qe, ci, sound, ps2 keyboard, sleep, reboot...

my 64bit geekbench score went up by about 500 points and it feels.

unfortunately i don't have the previous score saved, but if you browse results with similar hardware the difference is obvious.

post-226447-1212154103_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I own a Hackintosh (C2D) and a real mac (mac-mini intel C2D). I used Software Update to my real mac and saw the size of 10.5.3 update is 198MB. I was using 10.5.2 on my real mac. When I connect to Software Update, throught my Hackintosh (Kalyway 10.5.2 Vanilla Kernel), the size of update is 420MB.

I call my brother, who owns an iMac (intel C2D, using 10.5.2), and he told me the size of update for his iMac is also 198MB, like attached picture.

Does anybody know if this size difference is something apple is possible doing to crash Hackintoshs?

Why real Macs have a much smaller update, if my Hackintosh is also using 10.5.2?

Thanks in advance

This may be a stupid question but... What exactly is the benefit of installing this update? my hackintosh works great... almost perfect with exception to sleep problems and occasional mouse tearing.

Why should I install this other than for the (strangely entertaining) challenge of getting it to work?

What exactly is the benefit of installing this update?

most users (myself included) report significant (read: noticable) speed gains. as i mentioned in post above, my geekbench score went up by 500.

so far i haven't noticed any new bugs, and all apps i use still work (final cut studio, adobe cs3).

ok i updated with kalyway's 10.5.3 combo update... i had to install gma950.pkg to get my video working correctly.

my eyes are a little tired from staring at the screen at 1024 x 768 for about 10 min.

Thanks to all particularly kalyway.

It took around 25 seconds in 10.5.2 to boot-up

but after updating to 10.5.3 it takes more than a minute to boot-up... any ones else has the problem!!

EDIT: booted in safe mode and then restarted... now booting takes 33 seconds ....

I held my breathe for a while when it booted into safe mode. All's well now! :-)

Updated using Kalyway's combo updater, and am currently using the vanilla 9.3 kernel. Reboot and Shutdown don't work, but that's OK, rest everything works great, and the system feels rather snappy! :P Quite pleased indeed.

I had tried the Pacifist method as well as the method suggested by the OP, but unfortunately I managed to nix both installations. Kalyway's combo update worked best. Don't forget to 'update -v', I forgot that and got stuck at the BSD Root prompt... Man was I pi$$ed. But well, all is well, and a few kext rebuilds later, I am on 10.5.3 :unsure: Thanks all!

I got 10.5.3 up and running from Kalyway's 10.5.3 combo update on the bay!!!

And it works!! (but does NOT fix fw/usb audio click/noise/buzz completely)

BUT NOW ALL MY VIDEO ACCELLERATION IS GONE!

Here's what I'm running:

mobo: gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4Ghz

video: GeForce 8600 gt 256MB

ram: 4G

I tried reinstalling nvinject from NVInstallerV4.1.pkg, that does not seem to have helped.

any ideas?

On my Asus P5K-E Wifi AP installed as said before, rebooted and after:

USBF: 9.583 [0x75f3300] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

"ERROR: Firewire unable to determin security-mode; defaulting to full-secure."

nothing happends.. tried replacing all kext with backup but same place.. nothing..

tried both 9.2.2 kernel and 9.3.0 all same..

Tried permisson repair but still hangs at same place.. :P

Help would be most helpfull...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry763697

Scroll down on that page for NVInject QE/CI fix. Not sure if it works yet. I'm going to test it soon.

This clearly shows people never read through the threads and rather just post even if things have already been discussed.

alright with that rant, look in this thread on second or third page (edit: post 56 and 80), where i suggested that NVinstaller itself will not work. you will have to use Pacifist to open the nvinstaller package and then force replace the appropriate previous kexts (choose nvinject corresponding to your video RAM + the extensions). you can also also manually replace them.

In another thread, someone suggested to use the updated kexts but use Natit instead of nvinject.

for me, it was simple. just replaced all the previous kexts with Pacifist.

kalyway 10.5.3 combo update

I must be so lucky as i backed up nothing i wasnt to bothered after install which went fine i installed nvinstaller 4.1 with pacifist which i noticed replaces opengl so gfx is all fine and dandy i also replaced kernel only a patched 1 tho and nothing else and im running absolutley fine i did however on reboot have to do as instructions said update -v

JaS OSx86 10.5.3 Intel SSE3 ComboUpdate+SMB Fix

Search in Google on (Green Demon)

Tested and 100%

O JaS Lançou um ComboUpdate para os Hackintoshs

Jas OSx86 10.5.3 Intel SSE3 ComboUpdate+SMB Fix

Testado e 100%

Esta armazenado no (demonio verde)

Maicon.

Hi all , I was using kalyway 10.5.2 for 1 week.

I have tried to upgrade to 10.5.3

Now My video/audio seems to bug . VLC crash when reading the first seconds of an H264 files.

I'm going to read this topic to know which is the best thing to do.

Edit :

As I see I need to force nvidia driver with pacifist.

Il sound is no more working I will try to recover ktext from DVD

I keep you inform.