10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

You might try the attached kext - backup first!!!

No guarantees, but if it works and you're ever in NZ, you can shout me a beer.

Good luck.

Andy.

Great, this .kext worked. Restart and shutdown are behaving as they should. I have yet to test sleep.

Not only that it worked, even Geekbench (approx 3600) with it's sniffing methods, now reports my Hackintosh as iMac7.1.

Well NZ (if it is New Zeland) is quite far from Bosnia, so it is a slim chance for me to drop by. But if I am ever near by, or you near Sarajevo, be sure that a keg of beer is all yours on my tab. Just send me a PM. :unsure:

Great, this .kext worked. Restart and shutdown are behaving as they should. I have yet to test sleep.

Not only that it worked, even Geekbench (approx 3600) with it's sniffing methods, now reports my Hackintosh as iMac7.1.

Well NZ (if it is New Zeland) is quite far from Bosnia, so it is a slim chance for me to drop by. But if I am ever near by, or you near Sarajevo, be sure that a keg of beer is all yours on my tab. Just send me a PM. :)

Glad to hear it's working as it should. Wish I could take the credit but that's for the talented dudes/dudettes who did the work.

Yep, New Zealand which is, as you rightly point out, quite some distance from Bosnia. So the beer will be a 'rain check' one. :D

PS: Just did a GeekBench 32 bit (freebie) run... score was 2895.

Cheers,

Andy.

Every time I try to install the 10.5.3 Combo update, right when I get the green check makes saying that it has installed successfully, the gray screen comes down and says I need to restart my comp. I run the terminal script form the first post. I have no clue what would cause this stupid error. (I have to reinstall my how Leo install cause when i try to boot back up into mac, the boot loader just loops me back to the beginning)

I got the already patched 10.5.3 package from bhast2 (Thanks so much!!), it supposed to be ready, now, do I run it? or I need to install Zeph utility too, just some more info before I go for it...

I am running Leo4allv3

Thanks...

EDIT:... well, I went ahead and double clicked on the pkg file, it installed, rebooted twice and its up and running, it worked perfectly... no problems so far.... NICE!!!!!!! :D ... seems to be faster now... everything works, video, sound, etc... :)

Thanks so much!!! :P

ok i updated with kalyway's 10.5.3 combo update... i had to install gma950.pkg to get my video working correctly.

my eyes are a little tired from staring at the screen at 1024 x 768 for about 10 min.

Thanks to all particularly kalyway.

I'm right where you're at, stuck at 1024x768 QE/CI enabled and everything else works. Can you tell me how to get this gma950.pkg so that i can change resolutions again please? Thanks! :unsure:

Updated my Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 using the Kaly updater found on "the bay". It worked perfectly as I opted to replace my 5.2 vanilla kernel with the newer 5.3 vanilla kernel. Of course Nvinject video lost QI and QE even though the resolution remained correct for my 19" wide monitor at 1440 x 900. I tried to install the latest nvinject 0.2.1 after deleting the old nvinject.kext, deleting the extensions.mkext, repairing permissions, logging out and back in, etc. Didn't work for me. I didn't try the Pacifist method however as explained a few pages earlier in this thread. Being lazy I googled "natit" and found this link

http://tinyurl.com/yaswdx

where I used the included installer and installed Natit successfully restoring my QE, QI, to full glory.

All is well running 10.5.3! :blink:

AMD Users Good News!!

New update for 10.5.3

Follow this link for instructions http://leo4all.uni.cc/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=73

It was easy stuff... but scary

Lost QE/CI but it's now fixed with solution from the link I gave

Now testing other stuff.... I think I lost Sleep Support... but it's ok... I never use it anyway

AMD Users Good News!!

New update for 10.5.3

Now testing other stuff.... I think I lost Sleep Support... but it's ok... I never use it anyway

You just found out? :blink:

If the actual updated app download the stuff slowly then you should try out.

10.5.2 update guide didnt work for me, after reboot i get endless rebooting. btw whats dsmos.kext? are you suppose to have it, i never did, so now what? can i fix this?

"dsmos.kext" is used instead of Apples "Don't Steal Mac OS.kext" to allow your PC to fool OS X into thinking it is running on a real Intel Mac. Yes you do need this file! If you search these forums you should be able to find a solution to your update problem. My guess is that you did something wrong during the update (likely not correctly running that script that constantly deletes a file the updater tries to write to your drive). I think you have to start in single user mode to fix the problem but do a search of the forum to get the proper explanation.

AMD Users Good News!!

New update for 10.5.3

Yes it works, bhast2's patched package is on the bay, this is the one I used (without the application) and it worked perfectly!!

yes alien, I downloaded the patch from the bay and create one with the app just in case and the two of them where the same so.... ;)

Really works...

I applied mobdin kernel that works (without sleep support)

Can y use Vainilla kernel? or would it be worst? (AMD)

"dsmos.kext" is used instead of Apples "Don't Steal Mac OS.kext" to allow your PC to fool OS X into thinking it is running on a real Intel Mac. Yes you do need this file! If you search these forums you should be able to find a solution to your update problem. My guess is that you did something wrong during the update (likely not correctly running that script that constantly deletes a file the updater tries to write to your drive). I think you have to start in single user mode to fix the problem but do a search of the forum to get the proper explanation.

well the guide should of told me to get the dsmos file kinda dumb on it part

no i ran the script i followed the guide to the letter, of course some stuff is wrong one you can used textedit to open that file, because of permissions you need to use nano and the other is that it doesnt tell you to get the dsmos file, can you point where to d/l the dsmos file and what the single user mode ive tried -s, -v, -x, -e and the command keys they dont help

You already have it in your extensions folder.

no i dont i checked for it before the proccess

also how can i get back into osx its just reboots and if those commands in previos post are the way to get in single user mode it not working

Hi Guys,

Quick one. I've done everything fine. I have not rebooted yet, and I'm trying to install my old kexts. For some reason it will not accept my root password. I've even tried kext helper. Anyone know why? didn't do this with 10.5.2?

*update

Could not find a reason for it not accepting my root password (I use it all the time). In the end, I rebooted and used my secondary 10.5 install to access the drive and replace the kexts. Edited my NVinject info.plist with a 0 like below to get CI/QE back.

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>0</integer>

no i dont i checked for it before the proccess

also how can i get back into osx its just reboots and if those commands in previos post are the way to get in single user mode it not working

puppetj,

I assume you had 10.5.2 working before trying this update yes? If so you would already have had dsmos.kext installed on your Hackintosh in System/Library/Extensions. If not then I don't know why you would try using an update to 10.5.3 using this method. I found a torrent for one of the many update installers out there on the bay etc. Kalyway, Jas, and others have them available. Perhaps you would be better off to grab one of them and try it out. But first you need to be able to boot up somehow. Starting in single user mode might get you somewhere but perhaps not. You could try to grab another hard drive and install Leopard on it temporarily to be able to access the broken install. That way you can copy dsmos.kext from it to your broken install and perhaps figure out how to fix it. Since you gave few details it is impossible to tell you how to fix much of anything though. Try to tell us what the details of your machine, operating system, and actions are. Maybe someone can really help out in that case.

puppetj,

I assume you had 10.5.2 working before trying this update yes? If so you would already have had dsmos.kext installed on your Hackintosh in System/Library/Extensions. If not then I don't know why you would try using an update to 10.5.3 using this method. I found a torrent for one of the many update installers out there on the bay etc. Kalyway, Jas, and others have them available. Perhaps you would be better off to grab one of them and try it out. But first you need to be able to boot up somehow. Starting in single user mode might get you somewhere but perhaps not. You could try to grab another hard drive and install Leopard on it temporarily to be able to access the broken install. That way you can copy dsmos.kext from it to your broken install and perhaps figure out how to fix it. Since you gave few details it is impossible to tell you how to fix much of anything though. Try to tell us what the details of your machine, operating system, and actions are. Maybe someone can really help out in that case.

i just realized look thru my discs i have a copy of 1.5.2 update that was gotten from bay site, so i must broken the system reupgrade / different way, but no i never had the dsmos, maybe the kalway upgrade doesnt use it it? i dunno it wasnt in there.. but i did make a backup of the system with disk utility couldnt i just boot the osx86 kalway install disc and restore the os, or that cant been done on a osx86 install / disk utility?

i just realized look thru my discs i have a copy of 1.5.2 update that was gotten from bay site, so i must broken the system reupgrade / different way, but no i never had the dsmos

If you originally installed using Kaly you have dsmos. If you don't you deleted it somehow. Your system wouldn't have been working before the upgrade without it.

i just realized look thru my discs i have a copy of 1.5.2 update that was gotten from bay site, so i must broken the system reupgrade / different way, but no i never had the dsmos, maybe the kalway upgrade doesnt use it it? i dunno it wasnt in there.. but i did make a backup of the system with disk utility couldnt i just boot the osx86 kalway install disc and restore the os, or that cant been done on a osx86 install / disk utility?

I suppose you could boot up off the Kalyway Leopard install disc and try restoring your backed up system using disc utility. I have never done that but it might just work for you. If you are running an AMD processor you might have r3d3.kext instead of dsmos.kext in your System/Library/Extensions folder. It has the same function only for AMD versus Intel processors. Regardless if you are able to restore your old 10.5.2 wait and do more research before attempting to upgrade it to 10.5.3 next time. Be sure you know which method to use for your hardware (especially if you have an AMD processor). It is always wise to have a second hard drive with a cloned system on it that is bootable. Use carboncopycloner, tri-backup, etc to do that. Then you can safely experiment on it with updates and mods without screwing up your main system. ;) Hard drives are very inexpensive versus how much time and worry it takes to repair a system that gets broken by an update etc.

Good luck!

If you originally installed using Kaly you have dsmos. If you don't you deleted it somehow. Your system wouldn't have been working before the upgrade without it.
trust me i never had it, i looked it was never there
I suppose you could boot up off the Kalyway Leopard install disc and try restoring your backed up system using disc utility. I have never done that but it might just work for you. If you are running an AMD processor you might have r3d3.kext instead of dsmos.kext in your System/Library/Extensions folder. It has the same function only for AMD versus Intel processors. Regardless if you are able to restore your old 10.5.2 wait and do more research before attempting to upgrade it to 10.5.3 next time. Be sure you know which method to use for your hardware (especially if you have an AMD processor). It is always wise to have a second hard drive with a cloned system on it that is bootable. Use carboncopycloner, tri-backup, etc to do that. Then you can safely experiment on it with updates and mods without screwing up your main system. ;) Hard drives are very inexpensive versus how much time and worry it takes to repair a system that gets broken by an update etc.Good luck!
i have an intel system but i didnt have dsmos or r3d3 i check in the folder before upgrading, i know hard drives arent much, i have two 1tb seagates, i didnt really have anything inmportant on the system, so if i had to i could just reinstall, it just for expermenting, my main system is a windows machine.you think the Psystar 10.5.3 update would work in anyway, i know the Psystar machinces have a set of different hardware but , ..i dunno.. fun to try..

Upgraded from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD to Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update.

Selected modbin kernel.

The only thing I have to do before upgrade is to backup my GMA950 kexts:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

and then, replace them back after reboot.

My box

- Intel D945GTP Mainboard

- Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz Dual Core

- Onboard Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

- 2Gb DDR2 533Mhz Dual Channel

- 160Gb Hitachi SATA Hard Drive (HDS721616PLA380)

- 2 Pionner DVD-RW (DVR-105 & DVR-110D)

- 3Com 3C905C-TXM 10/100 PCI NIC (Broadcom 5904)

- Firewire PCI Card (VIA VT6306)

- iSight External Camera

- All four USB 2.0 ports

- 60Gb 2.5" Hitachi External USB Hard Drive using generic drive enclosure.